Starting Over...

Chapter 12: Calm Before the Storm

-DARYL POV-

Walkin' along this abandoned highway like I'd done about a million times before, I knew we weren't gonna find nothin' useful. You could only scour these old cars so many times before everything just started lookin' like piles'a garbage.

Still, Rick wasn't one to pass up opportunity. So every time we made a run into town, we checked the cars for supplies.

I strolled on up ahead, just glancin' into the open trunks an' rolled down windows, knowin' they'd pretty much already been picked clean.

When I looked back over my shoulder an' noticed everyone else was fallin' behind a little bit, I let out a frustrated sigh. Couldn't we just get into town, get what we needed an' get the hell out?

I figured I couldn't rush 'em, so I wandered over to a white GMC SUV, messin' with the back passenger door.

The handle jiggled an' popped open, surprisin' me a little bit. I leaned into the backseat an' sifted through a bunch of random trash; Candy wrappers, old news papers, soda cans, stuff like that.

I was about to give up an' stop wastin' my time in that SUV, when somethin' glintin' underneath the driver's seat caught my eye. I squinted at whatever it was, then reached my hand out toward it.

My fingers clasped around somethin' cool an' smooth, obviously made'a metal. When I pulled my arm back and held my palm up to see what I had grabbed, I saw a Zippo lighter.

It was silver with black lace designs on it, an' it looked brand new. I flipped open the cap an' sparked the flint to make sure it worked, which it did. I chewed the inside'a my cheek while I turned the silver Zippo over in my fingers.

I thought about just puttin' it back where I found it. It was a little too girly for me to be seen carryin' around, but it was a source'a fire. Plus, I knew someone who'd probably like it...

I dropped the lighter into my pocket, just as a loud scream filled the air. I scrambled outta that backseat faster than a jack rabbit in huntin' season, pointin' my already loaded crossbow in every direction.

The scream rang out again from behind me, an' I whirled around. It was Kayla, it had to'a been... But I couldn't see 'er anywhere.

Rick, Zach, and Danny were spread out maybe twelve or thirteen cars back, and by the frantic looks on their faces, they couldn't find 'er, either.

"KAYLA!!!" Zach's scream echoed up to me while I frantically retraced my steps, "WHERE ARE YOU!!!"

I knew him yellin' an' carryin' on right now was just gonna attract the geeks, but that ship had already sailed.

It felt like static electricty rushed from my brain and out to my fingers and toes as I finally spotted Kayla. She was just a few yards away, scrunched up in the front seat of a little red two seater. Her back was facin' me an' as I bolted to her, I could see she was strugglin' against somethin'.

That could only mean one thing... A walker.

I ran up behind Kayla, realizin' I was right. One'a those freaks had her by both wrists, tryin' with all its might to drag her out through the other side and make lunch outta her.

Without even thinkin', I wrapped my left arm around 'er tiny waist, pullin' 'er body into mine. The walker still had a good grip on Kayla's wrists, so it was comin' right along with 'er.

As the undead freak let out a high pitched squeal, I aimed my bow at its head, firin' an arrow into its skull at point blank range.

The body flew backwards outta the cab, and I ripped Kayla back into the road. I took my arrow as a loss.

"You bit?!" I frantically asked her while I held her out in front'a me by her shoulders.

I spun her around and looked her over before she slapped my hands away.

"No, no! I'm fine!" She said back to me, her voice quiverin'.

I could see now that she really was fine, she had no punctures in 'er skin. She was just shaken up an' terrfied, understandably.

"Guys," Danny's voice called up to us, "We got company comin'!"

An' we did. Walkers were creepin' out from the woods all around us, weavin' through the cars an' blockin' us in. They were drawn to all the screamin', an' now there was nothin' that was gonna stop 'em but a mouthful'a flesh.

Kayla went for her gun, but I grabbed her arm an' stopped her.

"There's too many of 'em." I hissed at 'er, "Don't waste yer ammo."

"What are we gonna do, then...?!" She asked desperately as she looked back an' forth between the freaks comin' at us.

There wasn't any time to think. I just acted on the first thing that came to my mind... I grabbed a hold'a Kayla, squeezed 'er tight to my body, ducked to the ground an' rolled underneath a van to our right... Just in time.

We were both breathin' heavy as we layed on the oily asphalt. Pairs'a confused feet in worn out shoes shuffled by us, seemin' like they'd never stop comin'. I really hoped Rick had seen me duck under the van, an' done the same with Zach an' Danny.

The walkers just kept comin', startin' to bump into each other an' get a little congested between the cars. Their moans turned into angry snarls, an' I knew there was no way we could wait this out. If we tried, we'd be trapped there for hours.

"Yer gonna hafta crawl." I whispered to Kayla, my voice soundin' husky.

She looked back at me as if I had just said somethin' to 'er in spanish.

"Go! Move...!" I barked at 'er, and she started to crawl.

We stayed underneath all the broken down vehicles, and the feet were still comin', walkin' in the opposite direction. I tried lookin' back behind us for Rick, but I couldn't see him.

"You better not be staring at my ass." Kayla mumbled from in front'a me, which made me look forward... straight at her ass.

I had to admit, it was pretty easy on the eyes... Especially in those jean shorts she had on, and the crawlin' motion didn't help my testosterone much, either...

"I ain't lookin'..." I lied back in a grumble.

We crawled for what seemed like forever, until finally we reached a point in the road that was free'a walkers. I reached out an' tapped the heel'a Kayla's sneaker, makin' her look behind her an' straight at me.

"I think we lost 'em." I mumbled up to 'er, then nodded toward the road, "Crawl out here, should be safe now."

Her two different colored eyes flashed out to the road before she wiggled out from under the car, an' I followed right behind.

"You alright?" I asked my young group member as I dusted myself off.

"Yea.." She replied, lookin' down at 'er scraped up knees. "Guess I picked the wrong day to wear shorts."

She gazed out over the cars toward the swarmin' walkers a few hundred yards away, lookin' worried... I knew she was thinkin' about Zach.

I was just about to tell 'er I was sure they had been smart enough to get away in time, but I didn't have to. One by one, they slid out from under three different cars.

First Zach, who was bombarded in a hug from his sister, then Rick, thenĀ  Danny, who was givin' me a dirty look. I narrowed my eyes at him, about to ask him what the hell his problem was, but Rick cut me off.

"Everyone okay?" He asked seriously, lookin' at each of us.

We all just nodded, still speechless from our brush with death. But these days, it was normal.

"Good..." Rick sighed, runnin' his hand through his hair, "Let's keep moving, then."

He walked on in front'a us, Zach followin' close behind. Danny passed me by, glarin' outta the corner'a his eye. I stared him down, even after he passed.

"Hey," Kayla's voice caught my attention, "Thanks... You know, for kinda saving my ass back there. I blanked out."

I looked down at 'er, pressin' my lips into a tight line.

"Yea, well..." I paused to shift my crossbow onto my shoulder, "Don't start expectin' it. Just survival instincts."

She tilted her head at me, lookin' confused. But I just turned on my heel, then followed the guys down the highway, leavin' Kayla to trail along behind.

-KAYLA POV-

The five of us had been walking along the highway for a few miles now. The long train of broken down cars had come to an end a little while ago, and suddenly Rick led us off the road and through a thick wooded area.

"It's not too much further." Rick informed us as we burst through the brush, "There."

We all stopped behind Rick, staring out to where he was pointing across an open field of tall, dry weeds. The life had been sucked out of them by the summer sun, and they swayed in the breeze.

At the very edge of the other side of the field, I could see the buildings of the town we were headed to.

xxxxxx

The town looked almost exactly like I pictured it in my head, a worn down wasteland. I sort of expected to see a tumbleweed or two to roll past us.

As we walked silently through the barren streets, I could see desperate messages spray painted on the walls of buildings, and even on the billboards and water tower. I could only imagine how long those people must have waited before they realized help wasn't ever going to be on its way...

Blood was splattered all over the sidewalks, and broken glass from store fronts and car windows was smashed all over the place in fine shards that crunched under our shoes as we walked over them.

We passed a school, a library, and an overgrown baseball diamond before finally reaching a Winn-Dixie grocery store.

"Stay alert." Rick warned us as he pried the previously automatic doors open, allowing us inside. Once he passed through, they clamped shut behind him.

My mind was focused on one thing: Jessie's inhalers. I made a B-line for the pharmacy, cutting through the condiment aisle, which was still somewhat stocked, and turning a corner around what used to be a display of paper towels.

The pharmacy looked like it had been ransacked more than once, but there was still a decent amount of medicine and other things to sift through.

I just hoped and prayed that there was at least one Mirisom D inhaler laying around in the mix. I started to search the shelves, and didn't have to go far to find the asthma section.

There were a few different inhalers scattered across the shelf. My heart sank as my eyes scanned the boxes... None of them were right.

I sighed and drooped my head, starting to feel discouraged, until my eyes caught a familier purple box right next to my left Chuck Taylor. I gasped and quickly leaned down to snatch the box, holding it gingerly in my hands.

Mirisom D was printed across the top of the box, and the picture of the inhaler on the front had the red cap that I was looking for.

I shook the box and listened to the inhaler bounce around inside, smiling with joy. I zipped it up in my backpack, then walked around the pharmacy and grabbed a few other things we needed; Aspirin, bandages, rubbing alcohol, sterile needles, and a spool of thick thread.

When everything was securely zipped up inside my backpack, I started to make my way back out into the main part of the grocery store, when suddenly something latched onto my arm from behind.

I gasped and whirled around, ripping free from whatever held me, which I quickly discovered was Danny.

"Jesus christ, Dan," I breathed, "You scared the shit out of me."

Danny grumbled a half hearted apology, then asked if I had a second to talk.

I narrowed my eyes a little bit at his aggravated tone, but went along with his request.

Danny then grabbed my wrist abruptly, pulling me to the back of the pharmacy, despite me telling him to let go.

Finally, he dropped my wrist and glared down at me.

"What the hell, Danny, what's your problem?" I demanded as I rubbed my wrist lightly.

"I could ask you the same thing." Danny snorted with a sneer.

"Uuuh, excuse me...?" I asked. I knew my face had to look as dumbfounded as my voice sounded.

"Mind telling me why you're gettin' so cozy with that Daryl guy?" Danny growled, his voice low and his arms crossed over his chest.

"What are you even talking about?" I asked as I scrunched up my thin eyebrows.

"I'm talking about how the two of you go sneakin' off in the lot together, doin' god knows what." Danny snapped, taking a step closer to me, "Then he wants to play hero out there on the highway, and you just let him put his hands all over ya."

I stood with my eyes wide, staring at him in disbelief.

"Whoa, whoa." I cut him off as he started to say something else, "First of all, I don't know why you think its your business all of a sudden, but the only reason I hang out with him in the prison lot is because we smoke cigarettes."

Danny narrowed his eyes at me and chewed his bottom lip.

"Whatever." He barked at me, unable to think of anything else to say, "Isn't he like 40, anyway? What business do you have hangin' around with him?"

"Since when are you my keeper, Danny?" I growled, now taking a step closer to him, "He's 38. You're 31. What business do I have hanging around you?"

"I'm part of your group, Kayla," Danny hissed, "You never wanted to give me the time of day but as soon as this redneck bastard blinks at ya, you throw yourself all over-"

Danny's voice cut out as I became blinded by rage. The next thing I knew, my open palm was stinging after it had sharply struck his scruffy cheek.

"He saved my life." I hissed, "You're not my boyfriend, Danny, and you never were. Daryl's part of my group now, too. Our group. Quit acting like you have a right to know what I'm doing or who I'm spending my time with."

Danny just stared at me, and I could see anger welling up in his dark blue eyes.

Before either of us could say anything more, I turned and stormed out of the pharamacy, leaving Danny behind. There had to be a liquor aisle somewhere, and I really hoped I could find something salvagable.

Luckily, I didn't have to look too hard. The liquor was just three aisles over from the pharmacy, but it looked like a grenade had gone off. Broken bottles were laying around everywhere, but there were still a few in tact on the shelves that I could look through.

The overwhelming smell of dried up alcohol reminded me of old high school and college parties, and I tried to silence the happy memories inside my mind. I stepped around the large, jagged shards of glass and eyed the bottles on the shelves.

I scrunched my nose up at the sight of SKYY vodka bottle, remembering a time when Jessie and I had polished off an entire handle by ourselves one Saturday night. Sunday morning hadn't been too pretty...

I scanned the other bottles on the shelves, spotting two skinny bottles of wine at the very end. I smiled, I loved wine... I just hoped they were decent brands. I skipped over to them. One was a light pink Sunset Blush and one was a deep red Merlot. They were Shutter Home brand, which I was pretty happy with. I picked them up an settled them gently in my backpack, wedging a pack of bandages between them.

I had room in my bag for maybe one more small bottle, so I crouched down and peered at the bottom shelf. I didn't see much of anything but broken glass, until my eyes landed on a bottle of cinnamon colored liquor tipped over on its side. I strained my arm, reaching back for the bottle.

My fingertips walked along the smooth glass, rolling the bottle toward me. When it was within my reach, I grabbed it with both hands and turned it toward me so I could read the label. My eyes sparkled at the word Fireball.

"Oooo.." I cooed.

"Find anything good?" A voice said from my right.

I turned my head to see Zach standing at the end of the aisle. I smiled and showed him the bottle, and he wiggled his eyebrows.

"Heeeey, jackpot!" He said as I stood up and made my way over to him.

"I know, right?" I agreed, twisting off the cap, "Want some?"

"Ladies first." Zach insisted with a grin.

I shrugged and took a swig. The strong, spicy-sweet taste of cinnamon coated my mouth, warming my chest and belly as it slid down my throat. I smacked my lips together as I handed the bottle to Zach, who tilted it up and took a good gulp.

"Aah.." He breathed while capping the bottle, "Smooth."

I laughed a little bit as I zipped the bottle of Fireball up inside my backpack. "Where are Rick and Daryl?"

"Rick's grabbing some canned food," Zach said as we started making our way back to the front of the store, "Last time I saw Daryl he was heading toward the pharmacy."

My stomach fluttered a little, wondering if Daryl had overheard my conversation... But I didn't know why I felt so nervous about it. So what if he heard what I said?

-DARYL POV-

"Find anything good, Daryl?" Rick asked, "I got some Spaghetti-O's and green beans."

I was standin' next to Rick in the canned food aisle. He was crouched down on the floor scourin' the bottom shelf, an' I was checkin' what was left on the top shelf.

"How 'bout... Three family sized cans'a chicken noodle soup?" I said while I pulled the cans out an' read the labels.

"Throw 'em in." Rick replied as he held his bag open, an' I tossed the three cans inside. "I need baby formula for Judith... You mind grabbin' it for me? I think it's in the back of the store, near the pharmacy."

"Sure, man." I muttered to Rick, "Be right back."

I walked to the end'a the aisle an' took a right, makin' my way to the back of the store. The baby formula was right in front'a the pharmacy, just like Rick had told me. There were a few different kinds, an' I grabbed all that I could fit in the empty space in my bag.

I was just about to turn an' head back to Rick when I overheard two hushed voices comin' from the pharmacy... Sounded like an argument.

Keepin' as quiet as I could, I crept closer to the pharmacy, stayin' hidden behind an empty shelf. I could hear the voices clearly now, it was Kayla an' Danny, an' it sounded heated.

"I'm part of your group, Kayla," I heard Danny growl, "You never wanted to give me the time of day but as soon as this redneck bastard blinks at ya, you throw yourself all over-"

I scowled. I knew he talkin' about me, but before he could finish his sentence, a sharp slappin' sound shut him up. When Kayla's angry voice started up, I knew she had slapped Danny.

"He saved my life." She hissed, "You're not my boyfriend, Danny, and you never were. Daryl's part of my group now, too. Our group. Quit acting like you have a right to know what I'm doing or who I'm spending my time with."

My face softened a little when she said this. Then, I could hear her footsteps stormin' in my direction, so I pressed myself up against the shelf to stay hidden. Kayla walked right passed me without even noticin' an' I watched her back as she turned a corner to the left.

When she had disappeared, I stepped out from the aisle just in time to come face to face with Danny. His left cheek was blazin' red from where Kayla slapped him, just like I thought.

We had a stare down for a few seconds before Danny narrowed his eyes. I didn't waste anymore time with him an' just side-stepped around him, makin' my way back to where Rick was.

I didn't know what that guy's damn problem was, but I was sure it was 'cause he thought I was makin' a move on Kayla, who he obviously wanted for himself.

"Psh.." I grunted to myself at the thought.

Even with dead people walkin' the Earth, this guy had jealousy issues. Pathetic.

There were way more important things to be worryin' about than competin' with someone over a woman, but I guess Danny didn't realize that.

Whatever, no skin off my nose. I just knew he had better straighten up, or it wasn't gonna be pretty.

xxxxxx

-KAYLA POV-

When we finally got back to the prison, it was after dark. Once Carl had closed and locked the gate behind the Tuscon, I eagerly hopped out of the backseat so I could stretch my legs.

Daryl, Danny, and Zach followed my lead and stepped out of the SUV, leaving Rick to park it on the side of the cafeteria.

I was already to the cafeteria door, pulling it open and walking inside. Just as I thought, no one was awake, so I quieted my footsteps as I made my way up the lefthand stairwell.

Inside my cell, Jessie was sound asleep on the top bunk, clutching her inhaler in her hand. I peeked at the dial and saw a big red '0'. I frowned... She'd used up another one.

I sighed as I unlaced my Chuck Taylors and kicked them off my feet.

Before I slid into bed for the night, I tucked the inhaler I had found at the store for Jessie inside her bag.

As I layed in my sleeping bag on the bottom bunk, I prayed to God, begging him not to take my best friend away from me...

-TO BE CONTINUED-