Starting Over...

Chapter 23: Overwhelmed

An:: okay guys, I know I've given two shout outs for kla1130, but this is the biggest one EVER!!!

Seriously, without her, this story would be nothing like it is right now! Her ideas have been helping me fill in the blanks that I wasn't sure how to fill, and she is seriously the coolest chick. My best wattpad buddy! Thank you so much for being an awesome follower and now a really cool friend, kla1130, you're amazinggg!

And again, I'm sorry for the long gap between updates... I suffer from writers block quite frequently lately, and I'm working on four stories at once on two different sites, so I hop back and forth and write a little in this one, then add a little to that one, and so on.

I've also been watching seasons 1-3 of TWD on Netflix to gain inspiration, and it does help a little (: so again, I apologize for the long wait between chapters, but I hope they're worth the wait, and I hope you can forgive me when there are delays in the future.

I love you all! ❤

-Daryl POV-

I could tell just by how light the oil can in the vehicle bay was that we would need to go on another run soon. Seemed like that's all we were ever doin' anymore, runnin' around, scavengin' food an' supplies to survive for another few days. But that was life now, an' we were all used to it, I guess. I know I was, it was just sorta like second nature.

It was real early in the mornin', the sun was still low in the sky, lost in the trees which cut the orange light into ribbons. Just as I was about to pop the hood'a my old truck to give the engine a tune up, I glanced upward for some reason, toward the buildings to my right. From where I was standin', I could see puffs'a smoke floatin' up from one'a the rooftops. That was cigarette smoke, which meant I wasn't the only one up.

I knew it was Kayla sittin' up there, since she was the only other person in the group that smoked besides me, and the only one that rose b'fore the sun almost every mornin'. So, I set the oil can down next to the truck's front left tire, and made my way over to the fire escape to see what she was doin' up there.

Took me about thirty seconds to climb that rusty ladder, but even b'fore I reached the top'a the building, I could hear what sounded like cryin', that coulda only been comin' from Kayla.

When I pulled myself up over the top'a the ladder an' scanned the roof with my eyes,  it didn't take me long to find 'er. She was straight across from me, sittin' in a tiny ball up against the wall to my right. She had 'er knees tucked into her chest, her arms wrapped around 'erself, and her head cradled in the space between. I could see 'er shoulders shakin' as she wept, and for a split second I reconsidered my place up there. Kayla hadn't noticed me yet, so I thought about turnin' right back around and climbin' back down to my truck, goin' along with my business and lettin' her do the same... But for some reason, I couldn't leave 'er there.

My boots scuffed the old concrete roof as I walked closer to Kayla, who still didn't notice me, not even when I was standin' right next to 'er. Damn, it was a good thing I wasn' t no walker or nothin', or else that girl woulda been toast.

"Hey." I said, finally catchin' Kayla's attention.

She flinched a little and looked up at me, tryin' to wipe away her tears as quick as she could, as if she was hidin' 'em from me, or somethin'. I played along, pretendin' I didn't notice for the time bein'.

"D-Daryl..." Kayla muttered, her voice still shakin' just a little, "How'd you know I was up here?"

I shrugged my shoulders an' shifted the weight'a my crossbow, "Saw the smoke, figured it could only be one person... You All right?"

I raised my eyebrow at the girl sittin' below me that I'd honestly become fond of. Normally when I saw the girls around here cryin', it made me real uncomfortable. Half the time I wanted to tell 'em it wouldn't do 'em no good sobbin' over things they couldn't change, and to keep on movin' forward... But I wasn't that much of an asshole, despite what the rest'a the group or anyone else who knew me thought.

Kayla was different, though. The sound of her whimperin' tugged at somethin' inside me, that just drew me to 'er and made me wanna know what was wrong, so I could do somethin' to fix it.

Don't know why I felt that way, though. Pro'bly wasn't nothin' I could do to fix anything for anybody, no more.

I leaned my back against the wall and slid my way down so I was sittin' next to Kayla, settlin' my crossbow in between my bent knees,  just in case I had to grab it and use it in a rush... Ya never know.

"Yea, I'm fine," She said to me, givin' me a nervous glance and a fake smile that I could see right through, "Why wouldn't I be?"

I raised my eyebrow at 'er as she tried to casually wipe what was left of the glistenin' tears from her face. This time, I wasn't gonna play along like I didn't realize.

"I already seen ya cryin'." I told Kayla, tryin' to keep my voice as soft as possible, "Why're ya tryin' to hide it?"

Her eyes got wide and she stared at me for a second, as if she were a little kid gettin' caught stealin' a cookie from the jar before dinner. Finally she let out a sigh an' let 'er shoulders droop.

"I guess it was pretty obvious..." She admitted while she grabbed a crumpled pack'a cigarettes with just one left inside, and held it out to me.

That was another thing I thought was pretty cool about this girl... She always offered me her last cigarette, an' as a fellow smoker, I knew that was a big deal, especially in a world where cigarettes were a rare find. Eventually that'd disappear completely... Talk about quittin' cold turkey.

I nodded a 'thanks' to Kayla while I reached out and snatched the cig, then grabbed for the lighter. I flicked the flame up to the end'a the cigarette bobbin' up an' down in between my lips, and puffed until I could see a smolderin' ember.

"So...?" I asked when I plucked the cigarette away, holdin' it between two fingers, "What's 'a matter?"

Kayla fidgeted with the zipper on her black leather jacket and looked away at the filed outside the fence below us. It was coated in fog that was just barely startin' to melt away with the risin' sun, makin' those droolin' freaks out there more visible.

"Is it stupid that this bullshit world still gets to me?" Kayla asked me after a few seconds. Her voice was real quiet, almost eerie soundin'.

I had to think about her question for a little while, puffin' on the cigarette a few times. When I glanced back over at Kayla, though, I could tell she was bitin' 'er lip and tryin' not to cry again, so I started talkin' to try and keep 'er focused on the conversation instead.

"Naw..." I mumbled, "Death of a friend ain't ever easy to deal with."

Kayla slowly nodded 'er head, makin' 'er long hair fall into 'er face... The color of it reminded me of autumn, when all the leaves started turnin' and fadin' into different shades of oranges... It was one'a the prettiest colors I'd ever seen.

I caught myself starin' at her for a little longer than I should have, before I started addin' onto my point from before.

"Pointless, though. Lettin' this world get to ya, I mean." Kayla finally turned 'er head to look at me again, so I kept goin'. "You know as well as I do that everything's different. Death happens... Ya mourn, maybe smash some shit with yer fists, then life goes on."

Kayla's lips turned upward into a weak smile, but that was better than nothin'. She shook her head, then brushed 'er hair out of 'er face and pulled it all over one shoulder, leavin' 'er neck exposed on the side facin' me.

"Well, I don't know if I really wanna 'smash shit'..." She muttered, combin' her fingers through her hair anxiously.

"Hey, ya never know." I said in a lighter tone as I shrugged my shoulders, "Might make ya feel better."

I flashed Kayla a small smile, pullin' on my cigarette and lettin' the smoke burn the back'a my throat. I felt my eyes narrow, but not before I saw Kayla quickly look away from me... Her cheeks were turnin' a rosey pink color, and I knew that's what she was hidin'.

"Is that what you do?" She asked me, keepin' her eyes glued to the ground an' rasin' one'a her thin eyebrows.

I flicked the ash off the end'a my cigarette and shrugged my shoulders again before gruntin', "Sometimes."

"Doesn't surprise me." Kayla said to me with a small smirk, rollin' her two different colored eyes, "I'd rather do some target practice, if I'm gonna go the violent route. There's just no where to do that."

"Prob'ly is somewhere." I said as I took the last drag off my cig, lettin' the smoke leak out from my lips as I talked, "Just gotta be patient."

With that bein' said,  I stood up from the concrete roof and slung my crossbow over my shoulder,  turnin' to look at the younger girl still sittin' next to my feet. "So, ya comin' back down to the lot with me, or do ya wanna sit up here an' cry some more? Either one's fine with me."

She seemed like she was thinkin' about 'er options for a second, but finally sighed in a defeated sorta way, and pushed 'erself up to a stand. She brushed 'erself off then followed behind me to the fire escape ladder.

I stepped aside and let Kayla go first, lettin' her get down about five or six wrungs before I swung my legs over, an' started makin' my way downward.

Kayla's boots made a soft tappin' noise as she dropped down onto the pavement below me, and I was close behind, settin' myself down right next to 'er. I was a good few inches taller, so I had a lot less of a drop from the ladder.

"Hey, Daryl! Kayla!"

A voice suddenly called out to us across the lot, and as I gazed over the top'a Kayla' s head in the direction of the cafeteria, I could see Zach rushin' his way toward us. When he got closer,  I could see a look'a frustration burnin' in his eyes. Glancin' down at Kayla, I could see she looked nervous and not all too happy to see 'er brother.

"Either of you seen Rick?" Zach asked when he got close enough, his eyebrows scrunchin' together.

"Uh... No, I haven't seen him." Kayla replied slowly, and outta the corner'a my eye, I could see her look upward at me. "Have you, Daryl?"

I shook my head slowly and silently, too busy studyin' Zach's tense body language, and angry stare that seemed to be directed at me specifically. The hell was his problem?

"Well, he's gone off somewhere." Zach sighed, "Hopefully he'll be back soon." He suddenly narrowed his eyes at me, starin' for just a split second before glarin' down at his sister. "Kayla, I need to talk to you for a second. Alone."

My hands shot up in front'a me defensively as I started backin' away slowly. I could tell there was somethin' tense goin' on here, and Zach obviously didn't want me around. Hey, fine by me. I didn't want to be in the middle, anyways.
"Hey, I can take a hint." I told Zach as I finally turned on my heel and headed back to my truck, ignorin' their hushed but intense whispers as I turned the corner.

Their argument carried across the lot, but I couldn't really understand the exact words. I could just hear each voice chatterin' counterin' the other, but I was good at ignorin' stuff like that. Growin' up in a house where everyone screamed at each other all day an' night, tunin' out noise becomes a big part'a yer life.

I grabbed my wrench from my toolbox I'd drug out there earlier, clankin' it around in the metal guts'a my truck's engine. Once a few loose gears were tightened, I stuck the wrench in the waist band'a my jeans and unscrewed the cap to the oil well. I didn't even look down as I reached for the oil can next to the tire, pullin' it up to my chest and startin' to unscrew the cap.

Just as I was about to pour a little bit of the oil into my truck's hungry oil well, Zach's voice suddenly raisin' caught my attention, and I froze to eavesdrop.

"... How do I know you're not, huh?!"

"Exactly!" Kayla's voice came back quick as lightenin', soundin' loud an' sharp, "If you can't tell if I'm lying, how can you tell that Danny's telling the truth?!"

There was a pause, and even though I was strainin' my ears, I couldn't hear the mumbles that followed from each of them.

After a second or two more of listenin', I put myself back to work, assumin' the worst of the little siblin' spat was over. I propped the oil can up on my shoulder,  tiltin' it forward and listenin' as the liquid drained into the engine.

"No!" Zach hollered out again, this time even louder than b'fore, followed by what sounded like a little scuffle, "You're not going anywhere!"

This time, I set everything aside and wiped my hands on a cloth I kept hanging from my back pocket, hurryin' back around the corner to where Zach an' Kayla were.

"What the fuck is your problem?!" Kayla shrieked just as the two came into my view, her fists raised and her face red an' angry. She was goin' for Zach, who's eyes were burnin' with just as much anger, an' he looked ready to take 'er on.

But I wasn't gonna let that happen.

"Hey!" I yelled out to stop 'em, an' it worked... Each'a their heads whipped around so damn fast, I swear their necks could'a been broken, "What's goin' on...?!"

I noticed Zach's face twist up in a sneer as I got closer to the two of 'em, but I ignored it as best I could, just tryin' to keep the peace around here.

"Ya'll said ya wanted to talk, not start a damn fist fight-"

All'a the sudden, Zach stepped in front'a Kayla, like he was tryin' to protect 'er from me. He stared me down like I was a walker, or worse, whatever could be worse than that. It confused me enough to stop me dead in my tracks.

"Stay out of this, Daryl..." Zach spat at me like he wished his words were gonna pepper me like a shotgun, "And stay away from my sister!"

I noticed Kayla givin' him a disgusted stare from behind his back, rollin' her eyes and crossin' her arms over her chest. Still, I was confused as hell.

"The hell're you talkin' about, man...?" I asked slowly, narrowin' my eyes at Zach, who was still starin' me down with a stone cold gaze.

I raised my eyebrows as Zach scoffed an' sneered at me b'fore tellin' me, "I'm talking about all this alone time you two seem to be having. Doesn't really sit well with me, man."

A smirk threatened my lips as I felt some sorta anger bubble up at the mockin' tone this kid was usin' with me, but I let it go. Kept a straight face.

I wasn't gonna let some juvenile shit like that git to me. Plus, this was Kayla's brother. I wasn't layin' a hand on 'im... Unless I absolutely had to.

Kayla stepped out from behind Zach like she was gonna interject in the conversation, but I spoke up too quickly for her to get any words in.

"Exactly what are you implyin'...?" I demanded, feelin' my shoulders square up and my weight shift forward.

Zach stood his ground, his eyes flickin' down to my feet, then back up to my face in a challengin' kinda way.

"I think you've got some hidden intentions." He growled at me, "Why else would you lead her away from the prison for over twelve hours, just the two of you?"

My blood was boilin' now, anger seethin' inside'a me at what I was bein' accused of. I wasn't no pig headed pervert just out to get some ass when we got dead people walkin' all around us, killin' the livin' people still tryin' to survive.

"Oh my god," Kayla groaned like a teenager bein' embarrassed by her parents, "I told you, we were-"

I was just too pissed off to let 'er finish, and felt my voice roarin' from my throat.

"Oh yea?! Is that whatchya think?!" I yelled, my voice gettin' hoarse. B'fore I knew it, I was in Zach's face. "I ain't got no damn hidden intentions, man! This is the end'a the God damn world. I don't wanna be with her!"

I tossed my arm in Kayla's direction, spittin' my words like fire. For some reason, she kinda doubled back, her eyes tellin' me what I'd said had hit some sorta weak spot of her's... But I didn't care. I couldn't let myself. So instead, I kept on with what I was tryin' to say.

"I told ya from the git go that I wasn't takin the heat fer you leavin' unannounced, girl." I growled at Kayla, pointin' my finger at her. "I was just tryna be nice. Sure as hell won't catch me doin' that again."

That was all I needed to say. I gave Zach one last nasty glare, cuttin' Kayla outta my sight completely as I turned on my heel and stomped back to my truck. I couldn't look at 'er face, not when 'er eyes were all big an' sad like a puppy's 'cause of somethin' I said... Somethin' I said an' didn't really mean. But what choice did I have?

This was exactly why I didn't get close to anyone, especially not a woman. Nothin' in the world these days could be peaceful, and feelin's like I had for Kayla just complicated everything. So that was it. I was shuttin' down.

No more bein' buddies with that girl. That's what I get for tryin' to be a different person, I guess. I was better as the Daryl Dixon everyone already knew; quiet, dangerous and not to be fucked with.

That's how it had always been, and that's how it was gonna have to stay. What the hell was I thinkin', anyway, lettin' some young girl I barely knew take my mind like that, bringin' my guard down?

Well, it ended right then. Nothin' like that  could work for anyone in this world, so it wasn't gonna be no different for me and Kayla.

x
xx
xxx
xx
x

-Kayla POV-

Danny really had some nerve, starting rumors about Daryl and I left and right behind our backs like we were all still in high school.

Now, because of him, my brother was probably going to start babysitting me like an annoying, overprotective mother hen again, AND Daryl hated me. Fantastic.

"Asshole..." I grumbled to myself while stomping across the lot, my hands balled into tense fists.

I was so immersed in mentally beating Danny's face in with Jessie's metal baseball bat, I hadn't noticed I had already made it to the cafeteria door. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself, which only worked so much, before reaching my hand out and yanking the door open.

The inside of the cafeteria was still pretty calm, but now a little more brightly lit than earlier that morning when there was no sunlight.

"Good morning, Kayla." Hershel greeted me from his seat at the table in the corner to my right.

He had been so quiet, sitting there sewing up a hole in a pair of his trousers, his wire rimmed glasses perched on the end of his nose, that I didn't even notice him until he spoke.

"Oh, hey, Hershel..." I replied quietly, with a polite nod in his direction, "Good morning."

"Is everything all right?" He asked me, glancing up from his work over the top of his glasses, "I heard shouting."

A sigh automatically deflated my lungs as I ran my hands through my hair, embarrassed that my argument with Zach had been heard.

"Yea, I guess..." I muttered, and Hershel raised an eyebrow at me, setting down his sewing utensils.

"Come on, now. You remember I raised two daughters, don't you...? I know what 'I guess' means. Why don't you come have a seat here, Kayla."

Hershel gestured to the bench style seat across from him at the table. The way he was talking to me reminded me of my own father, and how much I missed him... But I pushed those thoughts out of my head before they could bring tears, and sat down at the table with Hershel.

"So... " He said to me, picking his trousers back up and focusing on pulling the needle and thread through the torn fabric," What's givin' you trouble, dear?"

"It's my brother..." I grumbled, resting my elbow on the table and propping my chin in my hand, "He's acting crazy. And Danny... Well, he's just an ass."

Hershel made a face, "Hm... What do you mean your brother's acting crazy?"

"He's just..." I stammered, struggling for the right words as I watched the Veterinarian's hands, "I don't know, going overboard with trying to protect me."

"Well, sweetheart, your his baby sister." Hershel said to me in a soft, gentle tone, "It's his job to protect you. Plus, I think everyone's just a little on edge since..." His voice trailed off, and I knew he was talking about the walker raid that had killed Tina and T-dog.

"I know..." I replied softly, "It's not that I don't appreciate Zach looking out for me, because I do. He's saved my ass more than once, and I have a lot of respect for him for what he's had to do since the world went to shit, but... He's smothering me."

Hershel chuckled lightly as I said this, pulling the thread taught with his needle. I smiled a little bit at how jolly it sounded, but tried to keep the corners tame.

"I'm serious, Hershel." I said firmly, trying to make my voice sound serious. Hershel quickly nodded and did the same with his facial expresision, which only made me smile more. "It's like every time I move or take a step or do ANYTHING, Zach has to be right there, or I have to give him explicit details as to what I plan to do so he can 'approve' it, which in Zach language, means so he can say no."

"Well, from what I've seen, you seem to be able to handle yourself pretty well," Hershel said to me as he held up his trousers and inspected his work, giving them a flick to test the thread, "I don't know why he would want to be that controlling."

"That's where Danny comes in." I sighed in frustration, crossing my arms over my chest and peering around the cafeteria. My anger was making me fester. "I'll spare you the pointless details, but basically, Danny doesn't like that Daryl and I are friends... Well, not anymore, now... But he told Zach and told him Daryl and I have been sneaking off and-" I caught myself in my ramble, forgetting I was talking Hershel and not to Jessie or one of the other girls, so I censored myself, "... Well, you know."

Hershel gave me a look with his eyebrows raised, and my cheeks started burning red in embarrassment.

"But we haven't!" I quickly added.

I assumed that was a given, but I figured I'd just throw it in there to make sure it was known.

"My goodness." Hershel sighed while shaking his head, setting the pair of newly fixed trousers, "That is a predicament. I'd say to just ignore it, but I could see how hard that would be, all of cooped up in these walls with each other all day and night. It can put a strain on relationships."

"Danny and I don't have a relationship." I spat bitterly, but Hershel shook his head.
"No, no, dear." He assured me as he held his hand up, "I'm not sayin' you do. I feel like I'm a pretty good judge of character, and to me... That Danny's seemed like a tickin' time bomb ever since ya'll walked in her. I just like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt."

I rolled my eyes. Danny didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt... Just doubt.

"Well, all I know is I'm done with him." I said definitely, "This isn't the first time he's acted like this. And now, Daryl hates me because of him..."

"I wouldn't say that," Hershel disagreed, "I've seen you and Daryl together. He smiles when he talks to ya... He doesn't do that with any of us."

I felt my stomach flutter. Surely Daryl didn't ONLY smile around me.

"Frankly, I've never seen him take to someone so quickly like he has to you." The elderly Veterinarian continued, "It's honestly a little strange to see him that way. Refreshing, though." He smiled.

I smiled, too, but instantly felt it fade when I remembered how that blue eyed redneck had stormed away earlier, not wanting anything more to do with me.

"Yea, well, I'm pretty sure all that's down the drain now." I muttered as I traced a circle in the dust on top of the table.

"Give him time, he'll come around." Hershel assured me, standing up from his seat and propping his weight on the crutches, "You're good for Daryl, Kayla. I think he knows that."

He grabbed his trousers, gave me one last reassuring smile, then turned to hobble away toward his cell. Just as he was about to disappear around the corner, he turned his head over his shoulder and called to me, "We were planning on having the memorial for Tina and T-Dog later on this afternoon, I was hoping Rick would turn up before then.. I'm starting to get worried about the man..."

With that, Hershel disappeared into his cell, and I was left sitting at the table alone. I could tell more of the group was awake, but they were all shuffling about inside their cells, getting ready for the day. When Judith's soft, hungry cries started creeping out from Rick and Carl's cell underneath the left stairwell, I took that as my que to stand up, and head toward the right one.

I took the stairs two at a time as Judith's tiny wails grew louder and louder, and soon enough I could see Beth scurrying from her cell two doors down, her hair a mess and a bottle of formula in her hands, urgently trying to get to the child.

Jessie was still asleep when I got back to our cell, which was slightly glowing orange from the morning sun peeping in through the cafeteria's windows. I hurried my steps, silently unzipping Tina's backpack, slipping the journal back inside, and shoving the bag back under the bed.

My chest heaved a long sigh, my body feeling the adrenaline from my anger draining from my veins, leaving me feeling drained and achey. I rested my head in my hands, trying my hardest to recuperate some sort of energy.

"Hey, you okay?"

I jumped at the sound of Jessie's voice, my heart racing as I whirled around to see her sitting upright in the top bunk. There were bags under her eyes and her curly hair was knotted up in a bun on top of her head.

"Jesus Christ, you scared the shit out of me." I breathed as I glared at my best friend, my stomach sinking as I watched her take two deep puffs from her inhaler, check the dial, then frown and toss it to the floor.

"There goes another one..." She grumbled, rubbing her eyes with her palms, "So, what's the matter with you?"
"Nothing, I'm just tired." I lied, flopping back onto my pillow and swinging my legs up onto the bunk.

"Bullshit." Jessie barked back, laying on her stomach and dangling her head over the edge of the bed, staring at me upside down. The loose, frizzy hair from her bun seemed to sway around, even though the air was still as the dead... Okay, bad pun. "You know I can always tell when you're lying, so why even try anymore, Kay?"

I rolled my eyes and replied back sarcastically, "Yes, you know me so well,  my dear."

Jessie nodded her upside down head.

"Yup. You keep twitching your leg, and I know that means you're pissed off." She pointed out, instantly making me realize she was right, and I halted my movements, "Thirteen years of friendship right there."

I sighed in aggravation, knowing Jessie was right. I couldn't hide anything from her.

"Danny's a dick." I finally blurted out.

"There it is." Jessie said as she hopped down from her bunk and sat on the end of mine. "I already knew that, but go on. What'd he do?"

I pulled myself up into a sitting position and crossed my legs Indian style, preparing for a heated vent to my best friend. I really was thankful to have her in this world... I don't know who I could talk to if I didn't.

"Okay. Well, he's a jealous freak, for starters." I began, and Jessie scrunched up her face in confusion, tilting her head to the side.

"Huh? Jealous?" She repeated me, "What's he got to be jealous of?"

"Daryl, apparently." I clarified, which didn't ease Jessie's confusion, "He thought it would be a good idea to tell Zach that Daryl and I are sneaking around the prison and going out into the woods to fool around."

Jessie wiggled her eyebrows as I explained this to her, so I gasped and shoved her shoulder.

"What?!" She half yelped, half laughed as she rubbed the spot that my hand had made contact me.

"Don't wiggle your eyebrows, you pervert!" I hissed at her, giving her a look and only egging her laughter on, "We aren't hooking up."

"I know, I know." Jessie assured me, "You're still a virgin, right?"

"Ugh, yes, can we not talk about that?" I groaned in embarrassment.

I wasn't embarrassed that I was a virgin. Hell, that was a lot better than having slept with a bunch of duds before the apocalypse. What kind of accomplishment would that be?

I just didn't like being so open about my sex life, or lack there of.

"Anyway," I went on, "Danny's making up all these lies, and Zach just flipped out on me right in front of Daryl, and of course Daryl got pissed off because Zach was treating him like some sort of sexual predator or something. It was so humiliating, Jessie, my brother still treats me like a little kid."

"Damn..." My best friend muttered, chewing the bottom of her lip and crossing her thin arms over her chest, "You know, that must have been what they were talking about while they were digging the graves. Glenn was with them, too."

"Wow, even while he's digging a hole for our dead friends, he's gotta start shit behind my back..." I grumbled, then suddenly perked up, "Wait, you said Glenn was there?"

Jessie nodded, "Yea. He wasn't really included in the conversation, and I couldn't really heard what they were talking about, but Zach looked pissed. He was wondering where you were before that, so I'm only guessing...."

"God, what a dick!" I cursed, pressing my palms to my eyes, "I can't believe he's jealous of Daryl."

"Maybe it's because he likes you, more like has a freaky obsession with you..." Jessie suggested before slightly narrowing her eyes at me with a sly smile, "But you like Daryl."

My mouth hung open as I stared at her.

"No, I don't! That's the whole point!" I corrected her sharply.

"C'mon, you told me he was cute just yesterday!" Jessie came back at me.

"That's totally different." I huffed in frustration. "Are you on my side or not?"

"Who ever said I'm not on your side?" My best friend said, "I'm just saying. You like him, Kayla. I can tell, remember? I know you so well."

I stayed quiet for a second, watching as Jessie raised an eyebrow at me, finally coaxing my confession from my throat.

"Okay, I do!" I said, trying to keep my voice quiet. "But that doesn't make a difference. I'm not hooking up with him, he doesn't see me that way, and he straight up said he doesn't want to be with me, and he was just trying to 'be nice'. So, I'm not going to humiliate myself and try any harder. Danny ruined it for me."

"Oh, fuck him." Jessie spat, standing up and ripping the hair tie from her hair, and letting the curls fall freely down her back. "Who the hell is Danny to try and act like the boss of you? He's a royal douche."

"Well, it's not just that, although I definitely agree." I replied, watching as my friend tore a brush through her hair, smoothing it out just a little, "But now Zach's going to have sharp radar on me. I swear, he'd implant a tracking chip in my brain if he could. He won't let Daryl near me, but it doesn't matter because he doesn't want to, anyway."

"He's just mad, Kayla." Jessie assured me in a sigh, "He'll get over it, and so will Zach. You're a grown woman, just do what you want."

"I tried that." I groaned, flopping back on the bed again, "Look where it got me..."

"Like I said, everyone will get over it." Jessie assured me as she changed into a pair of khaki shorts that were maybe a size too big, and a navy blue t-shirt. "You and Daryl will be hanging out again in no time, and who knows. Maybe you'll end up making some cute little blue eyes redneck babies."

I blushed and laughed, shooting Jessie a look.

"Maybe. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves, there."

Jessie laughed and sat back down at the foot of my bed, slipping her shoes on and babbling on about something else, but honestly I wasn't really listening.

I was too busy lost in my thoughts, wondering if what she said was true... I really hoped so.

The best thing that could happen right now was for everyone to just grow up and get over this.

But one thing I did know, was I was going to have to find Glenn later, and figure out what he knew...

.
..
...
..
.

To be continued...