The Elevator

Countdown

Josie sped through the complicated grounds of LAX, searching for the man she was supposed to be picking up. Not only was she 45 minutes late, she couldn’t find him anywhere. If her boss found out that she had lost Alex Gaskarth, she would lose her internship, and reference for a future job. Her feet were aching from working all day, and the heels she was wearing didn’t help.

Being an intern at Hopeless Records sounded like a dream, and to Josie, it was. She loved being around all of the professional equipment and the atmosphere of the studio. What she didn’t love was how much work it was. Being an unpaid intern was strangely unmotivating, and most of the time, she was doing mind-numbing, tedious office work. She wanted to be where the action was, but she was often stuck in front of a computer or in a copy room.

Josie reminded herself that everyone had to do this to get where they are. She knew that you had to work your way to the top, and that’s where she was headed: the top.

“Alex!” she started shouting desperately, “Alex Gaskarth!”

She wanted to give up. Right now, her job was to be Alex’s chauffeur, and drive him to the studio tonight. They were throwing a release party for his band’s new album, and he was the guest of honor. His band, All Time Low, had been signed to the label for years, and were a big deal at Hopeless.

It was no secret that Alex Gaskarth thought he was hot shit. He thought he was the most popular in the band, and never let anyone forget it. He was a bossy, conceited womanizer. Her co-workers warned her before she left to pick him up, “Watch out for that guy, he’s trouble. You better make him happy, or you’ll get fired!” She didn’t think anything of it, how bad could a person be?

Josie turned the corner, still struggling to find Alex. If she didn’t find him soon, they would be behind schedule. They had so much to do today, and couldn’t afford ot be late. She saw the figure of a man behind the bar, with shaggy brown hair and tight jeans. There were beautiful women all around him, surrounding themselves in his presence. That had to be him.

“Ahem,” Josie said, approaching him from behind, “Alex Gaskarth?”

He spun his chair around, spilling his beer. There were three empty glasses on the table, which showed he had been there for long time. The girls around him gave her dirty looks.

“Are you the intern they sent to pick me up?” he smiled, “They didn’t tell me you’d be so sexy.”

Josie rolled her eyes, “You were supposed to meet me by the gate.”

“Well, you weren’t exactly on time,” he said, “So I found a bar.”

Josie prided herself in being punctual, and a perfectionist. She tried to do everything right the first time, and if it wasn’t absolutely perfect, she had to redo everything until it was. Being late already made her feel like a failure, and him pointing it out made it even worse.

“I wasn’t that late,” she said, “The traffic was horrible, and if we don’t leave now, we’ll never get there on time.”

“Alright,” he said, “Just let me finish my drink and--”

“I think you’ve had enough.” she snapped, “We need to go.”

“Wow, bossy.” he said, “You don’t have to be such a dick.”

Josie was learning first hand how disrespectful Alex was, and she was getting sick of it already. They headed out towards the highway , getting stuck in traffic along the way. Alex had his head buried in his phone the entire time.

“So, what’s on the agenda today, besides the party?” he asked.

“Let’s see, it’s 2 o’clock now. We have to stop by your house so you can get ready,” she said, flipping through the schedule mentally, “Then, we have to pick up the rest of the band, go to an album signing and take photos with your fans, which should end at 7. Then head over to the studio for the release party by 8.”

“Sounds eventful,” Alex said as his phone buzzed, “Wait!”

“What?” she asked.

“Take this exit.” he said, pointing towards the sign.

“Why?” she asked.

“I need to meet up with a friend really quick,” he said, “He has something of mine.”

“Can it wait?” she asked, “We’re already behind schedule.”

“Come on,” he said, “It’s an emergency.”

“No.” she said, “We’re going to be late.”

“Bullshit, nothing starts until I get there,” he said, “Take the exit.”

“No!” she shouted, “My job is to keep you on schedule, and that’s what I’m doing.”

“If I recall, your job is to keep me happy,” he said.

“You’ll be happy if we get to your house on time,” she said, “My boss is going to be pissed if we’re late.”

“Seriously? Your boss is my bitch,” he said, “Without me, they’d be nothing.”

“I don’t care,” she said, “We’re not stopping.”

“Watch yourself, intern.” he said sternly, “Or I’ll end your career before it starts.”

She sighed in defeat, “Where does your friend live?”

When they pulled up to his friend’s apartment complex, Alex got out of the car. She looked around the neighborhood, seeing windows with bars and spray painted walls. The apartment building had about ten floors, and even though it was big, it wasn’t in the best condition. Some of the windows were boarded up and the landscaping included dead rats and litter. She quickly got out of the car and started to follow him, but Alex stopped her.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“I’m coming with you,” she said, “After the airport, I’m not letting you out of my sight.”

“Ugh,” he groaned, “Fine.”

They walked into the lobby and into the elevator, headed to the 8th floor. They walked down the hall, which had peeling 80’s wallpaper and a lasting stench of death. Alex knocked on the door and a man answered. He had a thick beard and a tank top with a marijuana leaf on it.

“I didn’t think you were coming, dude!” the man shouted, “Who’s the pretty lady?”

Josie certainly didn’t think she was unattractive. She had big brown eyes that sparkled in the sunlight, and naturally clean skin, which hosted rosey red cheeks. Her hair had various shades of brown, with sections of dirty blonde mixed in. It was almost always in a ponytail, or a messy bun. If she let it hang down, it would reach just past her shoulders. She wasn’t tall, but she wasn’t short. She was painfully average, but she liked it that way.

“That’s my intern,” Alex said, “You got the stuff?”

“Hell yeah, I got the stuff,” he handed him a paper bag, “I’ll see you next week?”

“Of course,” Alex said, “Thanks.”

“Oh, by the way,” he said, “Take the back exit, it’ll be less suspicious.”

Alex shoved it inside his draw-string bag, and walked down the hall towards the back exit. Josie struggled to catch up. She was utterly confused and in shock.

“Your big emergency was drugs?” she asked, “Are you kidding?”

“If I told you the real reason you wouldn’t have come,” he said, “Let’s just go.”

“You’re unbelievable,” she said, walking towards the elevator, “And by the way, I have a name, and it’s not ‘intern’.”

Alex pushed the button, and the elevator opened shortly. They stepped inside as the lights started flickering. The fluorescent lights were blinding, and the tile floors were stained brown. The space was small, and could barely fit the two of them comfortably.

“LIke it matters.” he said, “You’re my taxi.”

She ignored the comment, “Can’t believe you made us stop so you could buy drugs.”

“It was an emergency.” he said.

“You wasted my time,” she said, “And I’m done with you.”

“You’re done with me?” he asked as the elevator started to descend.

“Once I drop you off at that party, I’m done with you.” she said, “I hope I never have to spend another minute with you again.”

“Well you’re not very fun to be around, either.” he said, “You’re the worst intern I’ve ever had.”

She groaned, “What did I---”

Suddenly, the elevator shook, making a screeching noise before coming to a hault. The lights went off, triggering emergency lights on the sides of the door. It was now dimly lit, and the walls felt like they were closing in.

“What the fuck was that?” Alex asked.

Josie reached over to the control panel, pressing the large red “help” button, but nothing happened. She began pressing all of the buttons frantically, panicking. She reached into her purse for her phone, but it was missing. She realized that she left it in the car.

“Where’s your phone?” she asked.

He pulled it out, “No signal.”

They looked at each other, fearing the worst. They were trapped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Very excited for this. Have a couple chapters already written out! :)

Looking forward to updating this often.