Status: on the works

Home

Chapter 1

The room was filled with unopened boxes on the floor and suitcases on the bed. At this point, saying that it was a mess was an understatement. “Well, that’s all of ‘em.” Jared said as he leaned on the lavender wall while wiping sweat from his forehead. I sat on the bed, settling a box full of my belongings next to me. I looked up at my cousin as I chuckled, “Yep, finally.” I took a deep breath while inspecting the room, my new room. “You know, I really appreciate all of this Jare. Thank you.” From the box, I took out a small gift and handed it to him. “Here, a token of my appreciation.”

“Come on Mae, you’re family. I’d do anything for you.” He said with a genuine smile as he received it. I haven’t seen that smile since I was fourteen. God I missed it so much, I missed my cousin so much. I still remember the day when my mom told me that we were moving to Florida. I hugged my cousin like I’d die if I let go and then bawled my eyes out. Jared told me that he’d still be in Tempe patiently waiting for me with all the pizza I could eat when I get back as an attempt to make me stop sobbing. I did calm down, eventually, if not for him and all his efforts. Honestly, he was the brother I never had and I was the sister he always wanted. Leaving Tempe broke my heart. Now I’m back- and I still can’t believe that I’m in Tempe again after what seemed like ages.

“Mae?” Jared’s concerned voice snapped me back to reality.

“S-sorry.” I shook my head and brushed a hand through my hair out of habit.

“Don’t be,” He gave me another smile. “And, thanks for this-” he shook the box I gave.

I stood up and walked up to Jared and hugged him tightly. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too, Mae.” His big arms embraced me back instantly. I swear Jared’s hugs are the best. The doorbell rang and we both pulled away from the hug with smiles, knowing who was behind the front door. “I’ll get that, you go ahead and change. You look like an even more mess than this room.” He laughed as he walked out of the door.

I shook my head with a grin and sat back on the bed next to the box to open it once again and took a new set of clothes to change into and found my way to the bathroom down connected to my room. I put my used clothes onto the hamper then looked at myself in the mirror. “I am here, with Jared, Aunt Lily and Uncle Greg. This is my family now. From here on out, this is the new normal.” Repeatedly I said the words to myself, and each time it stung. I miss my parents.

When I got out of the room and into the kitchen, I immediately took a seat in front of the island counter and took a slice of pizza from the box. I looked at Jared’s kitchen and noticed the dishes piled on the sink, typical Jare. I couldn’t even imagine him cleaning a single plate, let alone a pile. Pretty sure he’s just waiting for his parents to come back from their vacation to clean all this mess up. It was quite a big mess, something that needed at least four people to make. I guess he’s been having other visitors before I came here.
“I know I told you I’d give you unlimited pizza back then, but I’m broke so-” I looked behind me to see Jared scratching the back of his neck and chuckling, my eyes followed him till he was opposite of me, bending over the counter, and I took another generous bite of my pizza. I smiled at him and pushed the box in front of us towards him. “I understand, but all the pizza I eat from now will be paid for by you. Don’t worry, I share.” We both laughed as he took a slice. “You’re going to come to practice with me later, okay?” I gave him a curious look, ‘practice?’ But before I could say something he cut me off-
“I’m sorta in a band,”

I raised my eyebrow and let out an obnoxious laugh, almost dropping my slice. I was laughing at the idea of him playing on stage with a bunch of dudes in a dark club. I never knew he had the balls. “You’re in a fucking band?” He laughed a little and said it again, “Yeah, I’m in a band. I’ve been in bands two years now. But I’ve only been with these guys for a year- I’m thinking of sticking with them for a while.” He was smiling at me, my eyes widened a little at what he said, ‘two years’. A guilty feeling rushed through me. The whole time I was living in Florida, I barely gave Jared a call. To be fair, I didn’t know his number, but it didn’t hurt to try and find him on Facebook or something.

“The thought of you in a band hasn’t really occurred to me before. On account that-” I said in defence as I finished eating.
“Yeah, you’re the only one who knows about my stage fright.”

“What did you do about that?”

“I don’t know, I guess I eventually got over it after a few shows. The guys helped me out a lot, and all of us were scared so that made me feel a bit better somehow.” He shrugged and chuckled at what he said, and took another slice of pizza from the box in front of us.

I shrugged back and put the crust back onto the box. “I’m sure you will.” A smile appeared on his face and I gave a smile back to my cousin before heading towards the fridge. It was full of booze, with a half-eaten sandwich and some other food and spoiled milk. I took two bottles then sat back on the counter stool, giving one to my cousin.

“Since when do you drink?” Jared asked with a mix of shock and laughter.

“Since when do you?” I countered with an evil smirk, clearly dodging the question, but he just laughed. Jared and I were of the same age, but underage none the less.

“Anyways, we have another show next Friday. And you’re coming with me to band practice later.”

I took a sip of my bottle and shrugged. I wasn’t in the mood to go out, but I didn’t really want to start unpacking all of my shit either. Plus I’ll get to see the band. We liked the same kind of music so I guess his band would sound the same, so I agreed to join them. Jared ruffled my hair in excitement, forgetting that his hands weren't clean.

“Oh shit!” he said out loud and burst into an uncontrollable laughter. I sat there with my death stare and pizza grease and crumbs on my God damn hair, ready to murder my cousin. “Fuck You Jared James Monaco.” I stormed off to the bathroom to wash my disgusting hair, all while still mentally cursing Jared.

Minutes after I stepped out of the glass shower and started blow drying my hair, Jared knocked on the bathroom door. “Sorry about that Mae, I swear I didn’t mean it.” I opened the door to aim the blow drier at his face, letting him get sprayed by hot air. The look on his face made me laugh and I easily forgave him. I could never get angry at Jared for more than a day. He gave me a smile as a response and asked if I was ready. “Yeah, just let me change.”

“Why? Your clothes look fine.” He said with a hint of annoyance.

“I’m guessing you’re already late?” I asked as Jared followed down the hall to my room.

He took a quick glance at his phone and cursed under his breath upon seeing the time. “Kinda.”

“I’ll only take a sec Jare, now get out so I can change.” I pushed him out of the door and out of my room entirely. I walked back next to the brown suitcase and took a gray cardigan and wore it over a Tom Petty shirt, traded my shorts for Jeans and went outside to find Jared leaning on the wall, waiting. He saw me and started walking down hall into the living room and I followed behind. We went out the front door and hopped into his beat up red pick-up truck and he started the engine. A familiar song started playing and we both sang along to Wonderwall, then Black Bird, and then a song I’ve never heard of started playing. The ride to his friend’s house wasn’t very long, give or take ten minutes.

The truck parked at the side of the road and the engine stopped mid-song. I looked outside the window to be greeted with a suburban house, with all the shrubs and trees like the ones in magazines. I looked at Jared with a smile on his face, “Wanna meet my friends?”

“I don’t really have a choice now, don’t I?”