Status: on the works

Home

Chapter 4

Never in my entire life had I imagined myself mope about my cheating ex in front of a pretty girl I’ve just met a day ago, but I just did, and it actually felt like it was something normal. It amazed me how she can make me feel like I could talk to her about anything and not be judged. She just listens and understands. She knows exactly what to say and when to say it. She even chuckles to lighten the mood. I didn’t know what I was thinking when I asked her to sing, but in my surprise she agreed. I’m guessing out of pity,but God I could listen to her all day.

Then I realized I’ve been staring at her for about a minute.

Shit, okay, she noticed and she’s been waiting for me to say something the whole time, my cheeks got red so I looked away, shit. I heard her soft chuckle again I couldn’t help but chuckle too. Awkward silence fell upon the room and it fucking killed me. I thought about something, anything to say to her to hear her voice again.

“How about a game?”

“What?”

“uhmm, 21 questions?”

“Yeah, sure.” She said with a chuckle. “21 each?”

I nodded and started the game.

The next few minutes were about asking each other’s favorite color, ice cream flavor, movie and other basic things. Somewhere in the middle of it all I got a little courage to finally ask her phone number, which earned me a cute chuckle from Mae, but we still ended up exchanging contact numbers. We actually have a lot in common, both of us are almost 21, we have the same birth month and she likes Third Eye blind and craves Skittles as much as I do. There were a lot of laughs, and swear words, and I for once forgot about Sarah and was just focused on her. I was getting to know her, noticing her mannerisms. How her eyes crinkle on the side when she laughs, how she never flips her hair back to place but instead always moves it with her hands, how when she speaks the right side of her lips always seemed to raise up first, how all these little things, and a whole lot of other things I have yet to notice, makes her who she is.

“Yeah. Well, my turn.” I looked at her as she thought about her next question, not stopping the slight grin forming on my lips. Her green eyes met mine as she started to speak, I cracked up about her asking about my last name.

I plopped back down onto the foot of her bed and chuckled a little more before addressing her question. “Brock, sorry if I didn’t get to say it earlier.”

“Nah, it’s okay. At least I know now, right?.”

“Guess so,”

I thought about my next question and was double thinking if I should ask, but not knowing is killing me. I licked my lips and spat it out, anxious for an answer.

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

I watched her as she bit her lip, her eyes shifted to her walls and she let out a dry laugh. “I don’t know.” I got confused. “What do you mean ‘you don’t know’?”

She shrugged and huffed as her shoulders fell. “He’s back in Florida. Don’t get me wrong, he was always there for me, it’s just that two months ago after I was sure that I was leaving for Tempe, we had problems. He didn’t want me to leave and I kept explaining that I didn’t have a choice but he just didn’t understand. We got into a huge fight a week later, he was drunk and I was angry and he said things then I said things. We never talked after that and here I am.”

She moved the hair that shielded her eyes and huffed again. “Well, I now that I think about it, I guess I don’t anymore.” Something about what she said somehow made me feel like a huge weight’s been lifted from my shoulders and gave me the urge to ask her out or maybe even kiss her then and there, but it was too soon and clearly not the right time. Why did I even think about that?

“Kinda weird, right?” her choice of words were a bit uncalled for, but I guess she was trying to lighten the mood and not make it fell awkward, so I chuckled and told her what I thought. “I’m sure he had his reasons.” I looked at her as she dodged my comment by looking at her posters. “By the way, you just wasted your twentieth question.” She smiled, still not looking at me.

“Sub-questions aren’t counted!” She said in defense.

“What the hell are ‘sub-questions’?” I laughed, hard.

“No clue.” She laughed with me for a good five seconds.

“Well, they’re still ‘questions’.” I pointed out, earning me a cute pout from the girl.

“Fine,” She said with a defeated tone, her pout still there. She licked her lips and fixed her posture. A smile crept from her mouth. She was about to say something but she got interrupted when her bedroom door swung open to reveal Garrett, Pat and John with bags full of take-out food and some six packs. “Are you ladies hungry?” John asked as he was entering the room, throwing me a beer in the process. Mae rolled her eyes at him and laughed, John was sitting next to her by then. My eyes were glued to their shoulders touching- what the hell, why am I jealous at something as simple as that? Why am I even jealous to begin with?

I cleared my throat, causing the both of them to stop their small talk and look at me.

“Yeah, I’m starving.”

“Well then let’s eat in the kitchen.” She stood up from her bed and pushed Pat and Garrett out of her room while explaining with a smile how she didn’t want us to mess up her room when it was just looking decent since her move yesterday. John flashed a look to her ass and looked back at me with his eyebrows wiggling and a giving me a thumb up with a smirk to match. John was always a bit perverted when he’s a little tipsy, but I still shot him daggers and mouthed “dude, what the fuck” at him with a disgusted look on my face. He just asked me what he did that was wrong and laughed as he stood up and took the six packs with him.

“Well, come on man. I thought you said you we’re hungry?” John stopped by the door frame and waited for me to get up from the bed and follow him to the kitchen to eat dinner. The can of beer rolled off my lap and onto the carpeted bedroom floor as I stood up, I picked it up and headed towards John after closing the door behind me. John was a few steps in front of me when he decided to stop in his tracks and turn around to face me, bumping into me and almost spilling the beer from the just-opened can.

“What the hell man?”

“I was going to ask you something.” He explained.

“Can’t you walk and talk at the same time?”

He ignored what I said and continued. “What do you think about Mae?”

“What about Mae?”

He chuckled and shook his head at me then proceeded to put his hand on my shoulder. “Dude, seriously, forget about that bitch of an ex of yours and just ask her out. If you don’t then I will.”” He shook me for encouragement before turning around and continued walking. I on the other hand stood in place, thinking about him, and Mae, and even Sarah.

The thought occurred to me earlier, asking her out. But I don’t know, I like Mae in all honesty, but I know I’m still not fully over Sarah.