Gensokyo 20XXV: New Beginnings (AKA Apartment Gensokyo)

Innocence and Lunacy: What is hurt?

It had been a little while since Koishi had passed away and we, save Satori, are we recovering from such a tragic loss. However, I would find myself having to confront something from the past. That ability, that instinct, to respond to pain was removed from her, leaving her open to severe injuries, as well as self-harm. Naturally, this was cause for alarm as she often caused herself injury with any sharp implement, so we often make sure there aren't any within reach. However, that became more of a chore when we discovered our window was broken again. One of these days, Yukari will have Mokou's ass on that.

On the morning we discovered our window broken, we had noticed the glass on the floor but, along with it, we had noticed Reimu reaching for it. Reaching for her, Ren tried to intervene, saying, "Reimu, stop, you'll hurt yourself." She picked it up anyway, the glass pieces going into her hand, but that wasn't without giving him a rather confused look, before asking, "What's 'hurt'?" We didn't know how to or what to give, if not show, her an answer. Something in her mind didn't register what "hurt" was or even the fact that she was injured from the glass pieces sticking out of her clenched hand. With silence, I removed her from the glass and carried her to the bathroom so her wounds could be treated.

She wouldn't stop asking what "hurt" was and we tried to ignore it but that put us at a disadvantage as she's turned to self-harm. We couldn't answer because she wouldn't be able to make sense of it and the fact that it could potentially sever any sorts of bonds we have with her, as well as the fact it worsen any mental problems she has. However, in denying her the answer she wanted, we opened the gateway to self-harm. If we denied her that, then she will take to harming someone else, as we denied her harming herself. Ultimately, we were forced to isolate her, something she absolutely despised and gave noisy and violent protest to. She was giving us hell over a question we cannot answer. Deep within, the truth was torturing us as well, especially Yukari because of very much she knew.

After some time, she realized we weren't going to tell her so she stopped asking and allowed her wounds to heal. She went back to the way she was, with small periods of lunacy here and there. I expected it so, as she's gone through so much and her very innocence betrayed her. As for her and the rest of the children, we can only hope they won't fall victims to their own madness, the very madness that their innocence will have pushed them into. We can only hope to protect them but how much can we protect them from.
_________________________
"Miss Satori?"