Gensokyo 20XXV: New Beginnings (AKA Apartment Gensokyo)

An Outsider's View

There is something for the like of me I cannot grasp and that would be why smoking such nauseous things would be glamorous. Yukari only smokes those things out of stress of being landlady, which typical involves having to deal with crummy tenants and the fact that she is trying her very hardest to provide. To an outsider's view, Yukari is posh and that is only because she owns an apartment building. Of course, in these times, I see why that would be considered posh or something of the sort but I don't think cigarettes would considered apart of that, then again, they are a commodity, that people either trade things or fight for and Flandre is impressionable, so, to a certain degree, I do see why it is she would think that. On the other hand, we share an apartment together and my human-turned youkai lungs cannot tolerate that nauseous smoke.

Every day, she smokes those things and even goes outside with them to smoke them in front of other people, who stare at her in awe, almost as if she were something alien. To me, she was being rather ridiculous but, to them, she was flaunting her wealth, showing them how fancy she was, just like that little girl in one of those old movies who used to flaunt her white fur coat or her curls. As I would watch her, I often wondered if I, too, had wealth in which to flaunt. Naturally, after living in modest luxury and being minus servants, I concluded that I preferred modest wealth to abundant wealth, so to me I am already flaunting it because I live in it.

As soon as the outsiders see Yukari, they drop everything and clear the path, almost as if she were a queen, not even giving her the slightest ounce of trouble. When they see Flandre smoke, they stare at her and watch her with awe. When they see Ran, they quickly run away, however, that is probably because she is a scarred kitsune and people reverted back to long thought to be vanished superstitious beliefs relating to either of the two or it is because, she, like everyone else, won't hesitate to take a life if need be. On the other hand, they watch her with curiosity and fearful reverence. When they see Yuyuko, they run up to her begging for beer and burgers or calling her "Mama" or "Madame Saigyouji". When they see Yuuka, they look at her because of how pretty she looks in her makeup and the women envy her. When they see Satori, they cringe and be still, barely breathing and their faces white. When they see Kaguya, they quickly request her help.

Strangely, when they see Reimu, they look at her with the hostility of a rabid beast, almost as if they want her very existence to be erased from the world for reasons that say unsaid because she is Yukari's child and doing harm to her will bring about her wrath. It always puzzled me as to why they looked at her like that. "Why so much hostility towards a child?" I would always ask myself. I couldn't fathom it, as children are such innocent creatures and I, too, virtually am a child. Reimu hasn't done them any harm and yet they want her dead. I wonder if it has something do with the fact that she doesn't fear and approaches everything boldly. If it does, then that is really no reason to fear her, as she is very friendly and is more than willing to get along with and make friends with everyone and everything, not all looking to do harm. Rather, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that she doesn't suffer and adores this world for what it is. If anything, her inability to fear is probably what helps her survive in this world but, at the same times, it maddens her.
___________________________________
"Now, now, Mother In-Law, you must have some time to rest, surely one day away from your duties wouldn't hurt."