Gensokyo 20XXV: New Beginnings (AKA Apartment Gensokyo)

Earrings for an Apartment Building

It has been a little while and Huzi still cannot fathom as to how Yukari managed to trade a pair of earrings for ownership of this place and, honestly, I can't either but she did and they were really pretty earrings and they were rare but, then again, something had to be given in exchange for something and Ran notes it was either those or her wedding jewelry and Yukari would not have wanted Ran to give up her wedding jewelry. Of course, I am grateful Yukari gave up something as her own so we wouldn't have to but it still reminds me of the fact that she has resigned herself to playing the martyr. However, it is better that what she could have traded like one of the children (people have a habit of trading kids or whatever to get something) or she could have sold herself. Either way, something had to give.

I suppose sacrifice is good for modest luxury, after all, I would have traded anything valuable or useful to get something. Of course, that is the only sort of way we can survive in a post-apocalyptic anarchic society, as well as the fact we cannot really trust much of anyone besides those we are really close to. Every night, we load the guns, deadbolt the door, and keep are windows boarded up save a few small spaces here and there to put the gun tip and the grenades through because people might try to break in, never mind the fact that the landlady is right across the hall. However, Huzi was insistent, being that someone people had ambushed, beaten her up, and taken her shoes.

Either way, it didn't stop us from discussing it. "How did Yukari managed to trade a pair of earrings for this place?" Huzi asked, sipping a beer before passing it to me and then Suika.

Suika blinked her half lidded eyes and said, "Oh, I don't know, I guess her earrings were that damn special. Eh, uh, what'dya think, Kaguya?"

I blinked and answered, "Oh, I don't know. They must have been rare and someone wanted them and figured it was worth as much all of this."

"Rare?"

"Yes, Huzi, rare and they were."

"Yeah, yeah, either way somethin' had to give."

"Yeah, I suppose but earrings for an apar'ment building?"

"Well, it was either Ran's wedding jewelry, one or two of the kids, or Yukari offer herself and we all know for a fact that she wasn't going to give any of those things, especially the children, as the thought of selling or trading them off she finds appalling, so she gave her earrings."

"She could have traded that shawl."

"Mmm, I doubt a shawl is something someone could have possibly wanted."

"Yeah, Huzi."

"Well, Yuyuko traded a rat and some of her cooking for some fancy-shmancy stuff to put in her apartment."

"Yeah, well, people need and like food and good food is rare, as we are still reduced to ratburgers and dead stuff, like motorcycle kill."
"Yeah, and we've had to steal our stuff."

"But we don't have anything in which to barter, besides precious mementos."

"Yeah, well, we best keep those."

"Yuh-huh."

"But still, how on earth does a pair of earrings make for goods and successfuls trade?"

"I'm not really sure on that, Huzi."

"I guess the person who offered the trade thought the earrings were that valuable."
______________________________________
"Alright, children, time to arise and look at the sunshine."