You're My Downfall

"we fight, we lie, we hurt, we ignore,"

Emerson Ford was fierce.

Some would thought she was rude, selfish, snarky, and quite bold. Others saw a caring, intelligent, loving, and elegant woman. Norman saw all of her traits, the good and the bad. She was rude but nonetheless loving.

She was beautiful on the outside and at times she matched her appearance internally, other times she was downright surly. But, Norman couldn't judge her, he could be the same. Days where he'd pick fights with the fiery woman and call her every name in the book. His attitude towards her on those days contradicted his personality that he had so perfectly perfected.

In the back of his mind, he always thought about his fans. The people that pushed and drove him to do what he loved. What would they think if they could hear his words? How quickly they'd turn or even bash the one he spoke such dour words to.

Em never wanted to be in a toxic relationship, she had refused herself for a long time to be apart of any kind of relationship with a man. She saw what it did to her mother, her sister, and her aunt. The Ford women were embedded with a toxic venom that forced their better half to not be so much better. It was never her intention to fall into the disastrous relationship she called her own.

There were good days; days that proved to the both of them that they could endure all their flaws and ticks. But, then the bad days were the worst, the constant yelling and the shattering of objects against the walls. Their relationship was toxic, it ate at each other. But, they wouldn't leave. They couldn't.

Image

Norman rubbed his temples as he leaned against the railing of his balcony just outside his apartment, inhaling the cigarette he had placed between his lips. He hissed as his knuckles ached from having punched the wall for the millionth time, rubbing over them, he glanced back towards the glass door, his eyes falling upon Em picking up pieces of a vase she had smashed against the floor.

He groaned, he had never been in a relationship where he hated and loved someone at the same time. It was the same routine, they'd fight and break anything and everything they could get their hands on. He personally wanted to kick Sean's ass for ever introducing the two, his path never would have crossed with Emerson if it wasn't for Sean. Although, he partially didn't mean it. As much as Em got under his skin, he loved everything about her.

Finishing his smoke, he snubbed it out in the ash try and walked back inside. Staring at the mess in front of him, shards of the vase, a knocked over coffee table, magazines scattered on the hardwood floor, and the hot headed brunette sitting in the middle of it all. He ran a hand through his dark hair, stepping over the shards and picking up the woman by her shoulders.

He guided her towards the sink and washed off her cuts, his thumbs running over the wounds as he carefully felt for any pieces that could be stuck. Feeling satisfied that she was going to be fine, he turned off the water and started to dry her hands. His eyes locked onto her face, the face he had come to painfully love. "Em,"

She swallowed hard, "Yeah."
Norman lifted her chin, forcing her gray eyes to look into his, "We need help."

Em closed her eyes, the only way she could break his eye contact, "I really doubt counseling is going to fix this."

"You're so eager to give up, aren't you?" He growled, harshly pulling away from her.

Emerson sighed, turning away from him, "I love you, Norman. I do. We've been in this for two years now," she turned back towards him, "We've tried it all." Her hand raked through her hair, "We're polar opposites, we fight all the time."

Norman sighed along with her, pulling her arms and pulling her body close to his, "What do we do." He hugged her tight, kissing the side of her head, "Break up? Cause we already tried that, remember?"

She nodded, clinging onto his exposed arms, "Yeah, I know." Em sighed against his chest, her heart fluttering in its beat, "I know." Emerson loved Norman with all that she could, he was the one person in the world that could cheer her up through every one of her moods but then there were the times where she wanted to jump out their window to her death. She resented that she couldn't fall out of love with him, she was stuck, forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've taken John Legend's song and have interpreted in my own way. The rest of the story will be building up to this point of them having no more alternatives to their situation. So the next chapter will be in past as well as the others.

I hope you enjoy, because I've been wanting to hold off but hearing this song almost every day on the radio is like screwing with my brain. So subscribe, comment, and recommend. <3

xox

Image