Status: New Story!

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Pride and Prejudice

Cap and I didn’t really have a chance to talk on our own again for almost two weeks. In that time, he had been busy with work at the timber yard, and had gone off hunting with Anse, Johnse, Robert E and Uncle Jim for a few days. The house was quiet for that time, without the menfolk stomping around. The children kept Roseanna, Lavicy and me plenty occupied though. It seemed that when their father was out of the picture, they felt more of a license to give us a hard time.

“Please, Mary,” I begged, as she dashed away from me again. “Just hold still for one minute and let me finish your braid!”

“How’s it goin’ in here?” Roseanna asked, peeking her head around the door frame. We had ben switching on and off all week – today was my day with the girls. Lavicy bounced between us, helping when she could, but she spent much of her time sewing with Nancy or in the barn with Elliot.
I blew some fallen hair out of my face, feeling disheveled. “Not well, to be honest. Mary won’t let me finish her hair and Elizabeth absolutely refuses to do her word problems. Nancy, at least, is making some bread. How are the boys?”

“I just put Detroit and Elias down for a nap,” she said, coming into the room fully. “Elliot’s readin’.”

“How do you do it?” I asked, as she sat down on the bed across from me. “How do you get them to listen to them?”

“It took awhile,” she admitted with a smile. “But I’ve been here a lot longer than you. Over a year now.”

“Roseanna?” Nancy asked, coming into the room. “Mama wants you to head to town to drop off some letters. She said I could go with you if you’d allow.”

“That’s fine, Nancy, tell your Ma I’ll be down in a minute.”

“Do you think I could go?” I asked Roseanna, as she stood and adjusted her skirt.

“I don’t see why not,” she replied, looking at herself briefly in the foggy mirror above the bureau. “I’m sure Mrs. Hatfield would agree to it, ‘specially since the children are mostly taken care of.”

I hadn’t left the property since that night at the barn dance, save my trip to Ellison’s and church on Sundays. Anse, it seemed, had moved on from the incident – at least he didn’t bring it up – but Lavicy was not about to let me off the hook so easily. She, of course, knew my secret, and I understood why she was so upset. If I got drunk like that, it was just a poor reflection of me and the rest of the family, but I might slip up and say something I couldn’t. I knew no one would believe I was from a different century (hell, I still didn’t), but I didn’t need anyone shipping me off to some insane asylum for the rest of my time here.

I had kept my head down since then, doing everything Lavicy may have asked without question, but I was starting to go a bit stir crazy in the house. Following Roseanna downstairs, I plucked up the courage to face Devil Anse’s wife who, in her own way, was just as intimidating as her husband at times.

“Lavicy,” I asked sweetly, looking over at Roseanna who was packing some lunch for the trip. “Could I possibly go with Roseanna and Nancy into town? I haven’t really been that much and it’d be nice to get out of the house. And I’ll stop at the bank,” I added quickly as incentive. I knew Flo had given me a purse full of money, but I hadn’t quite realized just how much. Nor did I realize she had also left me a considerable sum in her will, which was in a safe at the bank in Mate Creek. Once I had figured out the conversion…well, I was pretty set. Of course, I offered to pay room and board to Lavicy. Anse would have been insulted, but his wife was a bit more pragmatic. With all their children, bit extra income wouldn’t hurt.

Lavicy looked up at me from where she was washing the dishes, wiping her hands on her apron. It took her a moment, but then she nodded. “Alright. But you watch yourself, you hear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied quickly, practically dragging the girls out the door, not wanting to give her a chance to change her mind.

I had been to Mate Creek a couple of times, but it was just driving through or to go church, before turning back around and heading to the house. Even then, Lavicy had kept a sharp eye on me, making sure I answered any possible questions I might get. I had my story down, though. I was Emma Anderson from New York, distant relation come to live with them after the untimely deaths of my folks. It was straightforward enough and mostly true, but gossip apparently spread like wildfire, and one wrong move would have suspicions raised.

Mate Creek looked like it was straight out of a Western. One wide street with rows of buildings on either side, one or two off shoots with a couple of houses. Most of the buildings were businesses – a tavern, an apothecary, the bank, a general store, a feed store, the post office, etc. People bustled to and fro, tipping their hats to one another as they past. Everyone knew everyone else here.

I pulled the wagon to a stop outside the post office (I had been practicing with Robert E and Roseanna these past few days) and looked at the girls, proud of my first real drive. Nancy was already itching to go to the general store to buy some sweets, while Roseanna was looking carefully at the letters, making sure they were all there. Apparently my accomplishment wasn't entirely impressive.

“Emma, do you want to take Nancy while I mail these?” She asked, getting down and tying the horse off. “I’ll only be a minute or so.”

“Yeah, no problem.”

I followed behind Nancy, trying not to make too much eye contact with people, but fully aware of the fact that they were staring at me. I was a new face, someone they didn’t know. And if they did know…well, they might have just been thinking I was just the drunk Yankee the Hatfields had been forced to take in. I gave a few smalls smiles, internally screaming ‘Yes! I can see you staring! I swear I’m not a freak!”. Luckily, the general store wasn’t far, and as the bell rang, announcing our entrance, I felt a bit more at ease. It looked like a Cracker Barrel entrance, if I’m honest, but with more stuff. When they say General Store, they mean it…gardening tools, food, farm goods, cloth and fabric, medicines, toys, guns and bullets, tools…really anything a 19th century American would need.

“Hello, Miss,” the gentleman behind the counter said, a white beard covering his face. “How are you this fine day?”

“I’m well, thanks,” I smiled. “Um, do you happen to have any books?” I asked, peering through the aisles as Nancy disappeared back to the sweets section.

“Sure do,” he said, coming around the counter and leading me to the far side of the store. “We have Bibles of all different sizes, some recipe books there, journals and of course your good ol’ Farmer’s Almanac.”

“Oh, well, I was thinking more about fiction books,” I clarified. “Novels.”

Without my computer and iPod, I had been bored out of my mind. Ellison giving me his guitar had been my one saving grace, though I really only played it when Anse wasn’t around, as I didn’t want to bother him. Lately I had been using it as a bribe – if the kids behaved I’d teach them a new song. But now I hoped to get a few more books – Cap had a couple, of course, but he’d already read them and I thought it might open up some conversation between us if I brought back some that I liked.

“Well, we have a couple,” the man said, squinting at the books. “Look’s like we have one by Mr. Twain, here. And another two by Mr. Melville.”

“How about British literature,” I asked. “Jane Austen? Shakespeare?”

“Sorry, Miss,” he said with a shrug. “But we can order almost anything for you if you don’t mind waitin’ a few weeks. Come on up, I’ll show you the catalogue.”

I grabbed Moby Dick from the shelf and followed him back to the front of the store.

“Hi Walt,” Roseanna greeted, coming into the store.

“Hello there, Miss McCoy.”

“Lookin’ to order somethin’, Emma?” She asked me, coming over.

“I’m thinking of getting a few books to read to the kids,” I replied. “And some for myself. Do you want one?”

“Oh, no, that’s okay,” she said, blushing in embarrassment. “I ain’t the best reader…”

“Well, I can help you,” I replied. “I don’t mind.”

Roseanna smiled, a little shy but appreciative of the kind gesture. She was used to disgruntled glances or being completely ignored by most of the Hatfields, except Johnse. “That’s real sweet of you Emma, thank you.”

I ended up ordering the complete works of Jane Austen, A Tale of Two Cities, and Gulliver’s Travels, thinking that that would be good for now. When I found Roseanna, she was looking at some of the clothing and jewelry at the back of the store. There wasn’t a whole lot of options, but I noticed her looking at a small gold ring, a sad look on her face. Two older women who were in the store stared at us and whispered. At first I thought they were focused on me, but then I realized they were sending disgusted looks to the pretty blonde next to me.

“Roseanna,” I asked quietly, gently. “Can I ask you something?”

“Of course, Emma,” she replied, pulling her eyes away from the ring.

“How is that you live with the Hatfields, exactly?” I asked in an undertone, noticing how her eyes darted up to meet mine. “I mean, I know you’re with Johnse and all, but I never really heard the story and I thought that…that the Hatfields and the McCoys…”

“They don’t get along, is all,” she replied quickly. “There was a misunderstandin’ last year.” She looked incredibly sad suddenly, and I felt horrible for bringing it up.

“I’m sorry, Roseanna, forget I said anything.”

“No, it’s okay,” she replied softly. “You’d learn about it eventually, I’m sure. Johnse and I…we went off together the day of the Election Fair. Nothin’ happened you see, but when we came back everyone was gone and I had to stay overnight at the Hatfields. My Pa he…he hates Devil Anse somethin’ fierce. He told me I was no daughter of his no more and made me leave the house.”

“He kicked you out?” I asked in disbelief. “For that?”

“He’s just…he’s too proud. Won’t forgive someone when they break his trust, I suppose. I told him Johnse was going to marry me, but it just made him madder.” Her eyes glistened with tears.

“Well, when’s the wedding?” I asked, trying to move on to a lighter subject. Women were always excited about their weddings. But Roseanna only looked sadder.

“Mr. Hatfield won’t give his permission,” she whispered. “I’m hopin’ my Pa comes around and they let us but…right now we’re basically living in sin.” She hiccuped and I felt a stab of guilt. I really should just shut my mouth.

“I’m sure it will all work out, Roseanna. I’m sorry I said anything.”

Roseanna paled slightly and looked as though she was about to say something, but Nancy bounced up to us then, two bags of candy her hand. “What’d you get?” Roseanna asked quickly.

“Lemon drops and some candied oranges,” she grinned happily.

“Well, we best go pay for them then, shouldn’t we?”

“I’m going to go to the bank quickly,” I told Roseanna, still feeling guilty about upsetting her. I had to keep reminding myself the expectations, especially for girls, were quite high here, but I’d never expected someone’s father to throw them out because they had to stay the night at someone else’s. It was just insane.

I was halfway up the road when someone called my name. At first, I didn’t think it could be right, since no one here knew me, but the next time it was called there was no denying it.

“Emma!” Calvin called, jogging to catch to me. “I thought that was you!”

“Oh, hey Calvin,” I replied, honestly surprised to see him. “What are you doing – oh my God!” As he approached I saw the mistakable signs of a fading black and blue eye, it still a little be swollen shut. “What the hell happened to you?”

“Oh, what, this?” He asked, nonchalantly shrugging. “It ain’t nothin’.”

The double negative made his statement very correct to me. “Calvin, did someone hit you?” He let out an easy chuckle, as if being assaulted by someone wasn’t a very big deal, like it was something happened to him every day. “Was it one of your brothers?”

“Hell no,” he replied, “they know better, I’d get’em back. It was your one-eyed Hatfield friend.”

“Cap?” I asked incredulously, ignoring for a moment how Calvin referred to him. “Cap hit you?”

He shrugged again, not looking in the least bit concerned. “Doesn’t seem like he likes the notion of me talkin’ to you is all.”

I blinked. Cap hit someone, because he talked to me? Jesus Christ, almighty.

“Was this from the night of the dance?” I tried to remember back, though the events of that evening still remained a bit fuzzy to me.

“Aw no, I saw him a few days back in Pikeville at the saloon. He and his Uncle Jim were there for somethin’ or other.”

“And he hit you?” I asked, needing the clarification one more time. “Because of the other night?”

“Aw, don’t you worry none, Emma. I ain’t bothered by no Cap Hatfield.”

“Well, maybe you should be. He seems to have a screw loose.” I could not believe Cap would do something like that. I knew Calvin was a McCoy and all, but seriously? And to think I thought Cap was the more level-headed of the bunch.

“He’s just protective is all,” Calvin replied, surprisingly interested in keeping Cap’s name in good order. “I would be too, if I had someone as pretty as you around. Wouldn’t want anyone else gettin’ too close.”

I felt the blush creep up my neck, though Calvin’s flirtations weren’t as welcome as they might have been had I not been put on notice by Devil Anse, or that merely talking to him resulted in a physical beating.

“What about you?” he asked, hands in his pockets. “I hope I didn’t get you into much trouble the other night,” he gave me an apologetic smile. “I’d say I’m sorry, but I really ain’t. I had a good time with you.”

“Not too much trouble, no. And I had fun too, though I doubt I’ll be having any more of your moonshine.”

“We’ll see. Oh, Jim!”

At first I thought he was calling out to Jim Vance and I frowned, but then I realized he was calling to a guy who was a bit older than us, maybe 27 or 28 and a pregnant woman of a similar age coming towards us. He looked just like Calvin, but with lighter hair.

“Emma, this is my big brother Jim. Jim, this is Emma, the one I was tellin’ you about.” Telling his brother about me? Really?

“Nice to meet you Emma, I’m Jim McCoy, and this here is my wife, Melissa.” I greeted them both, suddenly wanting to smack myself for being so clueless.

These were Roseanna’s brothers.

“Your sister’s here,” I said, watching their reactions closely. “She at the general store with Nancy.”

Calvin and Jim glanced at each other. They didn’t look angry or upset, just like they were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

“Maybe we should go say hello,” Melissa offered, meeting my gaze for a moment. I understood; we women need to stick together.

“Yeah, I think we can do that. Quickly though,” Jim said. “It was real nice to meet you, Emma.”

“I’ll be along in a minute,” Calvin said after them, before turning to me. “I’d be disappointed if I didn’t get to see you again for a while Emma. When do you think you’ll be in town next?”

“I don’t know, to be honest,” I replied, wondering if this was a good idea. Anse had just told me to use my head, and I didn’t think that befriending the son of his nemesis would qualify, particularly after learning about Cap’s reaction to an innocent, albeit drunken, conversation. “Listen, Calvin…this whole thing between your family and the Hatfields…I don’t understand it completely but I do know that I don’t want to get caught in the middle.”

“Aw, don’t worry about them,” he replied. “It’s just two old men who are sore at each other.”

“But look at Roseanna,” I said, annoyed. “You can’t even go talk to her and she’s your sister.”

Calvin had the decency to look embarrassed.

“What’s the shame face for, McCoy? Lose your baby bottle?” I looked over and saw Tom ‘Skunkhair’ Wallace and Alex Messer approaching, having just exited the saloon. My stomach sank a bit – I really didn’t want to get into anything.

Calvin rolled his eyes. “What you want, Wallace?”

“Want to know why you’re chattin’ up the Yankee? Thought it was clear she’s with the Hatfields.”

“Don’t mean I can’t talk to her.”

I hated that they were talking about me like I wasn’t standing right there. “Hi Alex, Tom,” I greeted, not entirely pleasantly. “Good to see you again.”

“Howdy, Miss Emma,” Alex replied with a smile. Tom didn’t take his eyes off Calvin, eyeing him like was some stray dog that needed to be shooed away. Or kicked. “You here with Cap and Johnse?”

“They’re hunting with their dad,” I replied. “I’m here with Roseanna and Nancy, and I should probably be heading to the bank so…” I looked at the three of them, unable to believe how stupid boys could be sometimes. “It was good to see you all.”

“I’ll see you around, Emma,” Calvin said, with a nod farewell. He then turned and headed off to find his brother. I made a move for the bank, surprised to find Tom had fallen in step with me.

“You didn’t need to do that, you know,” I said to him, annoyed. He didn’t know me, and he certainly didn’t need to pull the protector card. “Calvin and I are fine.”

“That might be true,” Tom replied, holding the door to the bank open for me. “But Cap asked me to keep an eye on you when I could, so that’s what I’m doin’.”

“And as much as I appreciate that you and Cap think you’re helping, I can handle myself.”

“Suit yourself, Miss Emma,” he said with an easy shrug. “Just know that you’re with the Hatfields now and we watch out for each other. Them McCoys are bad news, all of ‘em. Best not get mixed up with any at all.” I frowned and he tipped his hat at me. “I’ll be seein’ you around. Enjoy the rest of your day.”

He left me then and I fought the frustration bubbling inside of me. He was just doing what he thought was right, I supposed, but I didn’t like feeling like a child under all of their watchful eyes. I just needed to get used to it all, and fast.

The ride home was pleasant enough – Roseanna was quiet after seeing her brothers, but Nancy was just as talkative as always, sharing her candy with us and trying to read the beginning of Moby Dick. She got about halfway through the first chapter before she decided that I would be best to read it out loud to them when we got back.

As we pulled up to the homestead, I could see Cap, Johnse and Anse dismounting from their horses, back from the hunt. They looked successful enough – two turkeys hung from Johnse’s horse while Cap had a number of rabbits, squirrels and even a fox hanging from his. But I wasn’t going to let him impress me that easily (and yes, I hated myself for being impressed by how many small woodland creatures he had killed – clearly I had been here too long). I had a bone to pick with him.

I walked up to them, completely bypassing a smiling Johnse and stood behind Cap, arms crossed, hip popped, speaking with the tone my Mom had used any time Dad let me have ice cream for dinner instead of actual food.

“William.” Cap turned to look at me, confused, while Johnse let out a low whistle. Anse just shook his head and went inside. “I think we need to have a little chat.”

“What’d you do now, Cap?” Johnse laughed, slapping him on the back. “Miss Yankee looks angrier than Uncle Jim that time I dropped a bee hive on his head.”

“I don’t think I’m quite that annoyed,” I emphasized, “though that sounds like an amazing story and I want to hear it later. For now, though, William and I need to talk.”

“Please don’t call me that,” he said as he followed me away from the house. “You sound like my Mama.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” I said coming to a stop around the corner of the barn, just out of sight of the house and the curious eyes of Johnse and his siblings. “But what I don’t take as a compliment is you punching out any guy that I talk to!”

“Ah,” Cap said, nodding in understanding. “Guessin’ you saw Calvin McCoy then?”

“Black-eyed Calvin McCoy,” I corrected. “What the hell is that about, Cap?”

He gave a half smile that was at once both adorable and infuriating. With one hand he took off his hat, with the other he pushed his blonde hair back, something I noticed he did when he was anxious.

“I might have just made it clear to ‘im that you ain’t interested in him or his moonshine.”

“Who are you to say who I am or am not interested in? And is moonshine a euphemism for something? You know what, it doesn’t matter. I just want you to stay out of my business, okay? I can’t handle myself. And tell your skunk friend to stay out of it too, okay?” I started to walk away, but Cap caught my wrist lightly, holding me back.

“Emma, I’m..I’m sorry. I wasn’t gonna do nothin’ but then we saw McCoy and his brothers in town and he was sayin’ some stuff and…well, I just didn’t want nothin’ gettin’ back to Pa and gettin’ you in more trouble.”

I watched him closely, trying to see if he was lying. “What did Calvin say?”

He sighed, shifting awkwardly. “That he done got that new Yankee girl all liquored up, was gonna get mighty familiar with ya if I hadn’t stepped in.”

I frowned, still annoyed with Cap and even more annoyed with Calvin.

“He did, did he?”

“Listen, Ems, I was only gonna talk to him but - ”

“Cap, stop,” I interrupted, shaking my head in frustrations. “I appreciate you ‘defending my virtue’ or whatever, but you really don’t need to worry. There is nothing going on between me and Calvin. Especially now as it sounds like he’s a bit of an asshole. No need to go beating people up on my behalf. You know, you should really just stop doing that altogether. Violence doesn’t solve anything, you know?”

“I don’t know how they do things in New York, Emma,” he said, and I knew I was in for another ‘you’re not in the 21st century anymore’ type wake up calls. “But here in West Virginia, the only thing that gets a point across is a fist or a gun. And people don’t look too kindly on young women who let too many fella’s court ‘em. You spend time alone with a man and you might as well start plannin’ the wedding.”

“Like what we’re doing right now?”

Cap’s eyes shifted downward, embarrassed. “Well, no, this…this is different.”

“Like Johnse and Roseanna, then?” I was seeing a lot of exceptions to his rule. It seemed prejudice against the McCoys made it so the rest of the Hatfields could overlook Johnse living in sin, as Roseanna called it.

“No,” Cap shook his head with little sympathy for his older brother. “Not like them, either. Roseanna’s a nice girl and all, but there ain’t gonna be no weddin’ there. Same if you and Calvin McCoy keep carryin’ on like you did at the dance. Pa wouldn’t like to have another McCoy relation around the house and proud Ol’ Ran’ll would never let his son marry a girl who’s associated with us.”

All this talk of marriage was making me feel a bit nauseous.

“Well, I promise you that I am not at all interested in marriage at the moment, so I will keep what you said in mind,” I offered, trying to casually blow a loose strand of hair out of my face. Cap reached up and tucked it behind my ear.

“Sorry if I upset you,” he said, giving me a slight smile. “That weren’t my intent.”

His cute southern drawl made up for his poor grammar. As an English major I had to bite my tongue with all the ‘aint’s’ being thrown about, but the more I was here, the more endearing it became. On Cap, especially.

“It’s okay. It’s nice to know you’re looking out for me, I guess.”

We walked back up to the house, Johnse coming out onto the porch to greet us.

“Good to see you’re still alive, Cap,” he grinned. “Hey Miss Emma Yankee, what do you say to us headin’ up to the lake tomorrow? I’m thinkin’ it’s time we get you some ridin’ lessons.”