Status: Just simply because I love eclare.

Only Human

The quick flutter in the rhythm of my heart stung in my chest as my eyes betrayed me.

It was a simple mistake really, but suddenly, within this moment, I was graced with the stunning image of her. My body didn't know how to react, the numbing effect of the pills I swallowed down merely hours ago easily dispersing from just one glance. And I could feel all that classified as part of the human condition.

My brows lifted slightly, eyes adjusting to the setting before me. The ringing in my ears caused Fiona's words directed to me fade completely. My mouth, dry as the sand itself, first went into a firm line as I swallowed, feeling every muscle stiffen before loosening and turning to jello, my bottom lip hanging down a little in awe.

She danced around the flames while her bare feet dug into the sand, two sparklers in each hand, lighting up the irresistible smile splayed out across her faceā€”that I had regrettably cut into a frown more times than I'd like to recall. For a second, my breath hitched in my throat as my lungs felt like they were constricted. This only added to the increasing speed of my heartbeat, beating quicker than the flicker of each flame. I swayed my arms in an attempt to relax, but failed miserably. It was just impossible, because it was Clare Edwards.

The thought of her name sent back the warmth rushing into me, and I took more oxygen into my body as I came to making a decision. The string that binds and pulls me to her could never be torn apart by any drug or prescription on this planet. At least, not at this second and at this location. As sure as the sun had decided to set tonight, I chose to man up, stepping away from the current conversation to go speak with Miss Edwards herself.

The first step was very weighted, but soon I was able to understand the concept of walking again, my feet becoming increasingly lighter as I moved in closer to her. Adding to that, my confidence somehow manage to show up, and I started to hold my head up higher, smiling even. I was finally approaching her for the first time since the nasty break up, which resulted in my own stupidity and wreckage of my beloved hearse, Morty.

It almost felt like the past no longer existed. Like I was still with Clare, us together. Just a fleeting love that didn't get the opportunity to be properly nourished. It was exhilarating, making me wonder how I could agreed to take such a precaution as gulping down medication in the first place. It was mind blowing. I felt great!

She was only a few feet away, her back to me. The jean jacket she wore was needed, the breeze from the ocean bringing with it the smell of salt and a tinge of cool air settling around us, despite the number of bodies that were at this bonfire. None of it matter though, only she was the focal point among the activity.

Her sparklers exemplified the exact emotions contained inside myself that just wanted to burst out into the open. I reached out, brushing her shoulder. My eyes bright, she turned around and...it was not her.

Realizing my mix up, my smile slowly turned down as the adrenalin rush ceased and disappointment washed over me. I briefly looked over the stranger's shoulder, failing to get another glimpse of the only person containing a soul that came just close to being aligned with mine. She was not to be seen, escaping me again.

Sighing, I looked back at the girl that was not Clare. I involuntarily reached into the pocket lining the inside of my jacket for my fingers to get a grasp of the two white pills nestled there. Pulling them out into my palm, I quickly threw back my head and plopped them into my mouth, dry swallowing them. I just could not wait for the tingling in my limbs to disappear.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have always loved the Degrassi promo Now or Never and the whole concept of the bonfire on the beach to portray what was going to be happening in the season (I can't remember which season it's for at the moment). The way Eli looks so hopefully at Clare and goes after her in the promo has always been so inspiring to me, so I decided to give readers an idea of what Eli might had been thinking at the time. He looks at Clare with so much adoration that it just gives me all the feels and I just could not resist!

Hope you all enjoy!!