Status: Active

Chasing After Something

Prologue

People have told me that the best day of their lives is marrying the one you love.
Today is the day that I will be marrying a man not for love, nor for protection of my country, but for the image of the monarchies in an attempt to calm the never ending protests of abolishment. Today is the day that I will marry Prince Harry. The day where we vow to spend the rest of our lives together, forever.

I remember learning about the betrothals of kings, queens, princes and princesses long before my time, never imagining my life would be taken along that same course.

It was not by choice, but as the youngest daughter and third in line to the throne of Sweden, it is my duty; or so my father put it that way, to marry Harry.

As a little girl, just like every other girl in the world, I planned each detail of what my wedding would be like. Looking back in the mirror, I no longer see that little girls dream wedding, just a forced marriage between two people. A loveless marriage, two lives ruined forever in the name of duty.
Eight months prior…

“Madeleine dear.” Silvia’s voice broke through Madeleine’s thoughts as she stared out at the clear blue sky as London filled up her horizon. “When we land, Elizabeth, Charles and Harry will greet us. You will be traveling to Sandringham with Harry. It should give you some quiet time together.” The only thing Madeleine could do was nod in silent protest. At this point in time, no matter what she said would make a difference to the path that was laid out before her.

Madeleine had given up trying, pleading with her father to not ask this of her. She would be moving to a country she barely knew. Away from her friends, away from her family, away from everything she knew.

She had heard the stories published about Harry. About his partying antics as pictures were snapped of him falling out of nightclubs in the wee hours of the morning. The numerous stories of his hook ups that gained him the nickname ‘Playboy Prince.’ Whereas Madeleine would give up her job at The World Childhood Foundation, a career she loved and became passionate for its cause; Harry would give up nothing. He would have his friends, his family, and his career in the army.

Madeleine could not see the reason as to why she had to give up everything in her life with Harry making no sacrifice, but this was part of the agreement. Madeleine would move to England as rumors would be sparked about their carefully planned out private relationship. The world would come to think that this was a natural, unforced relationship between them, with the quick announcement of their engagement once Harry would propose.

Both of their countries needed a royal wedding to boost their image amongst the commoners and remind the people of the monarchies place in the world. It would just come at the expense of two people’s chance at a life filled with love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the prologue! Will post the first chapter soon!