Status: Active

Chasing After Something

Chapter One

The aircraft came to a stop signalling the arrival into London’s Heathrow Airport. Madeleine was taking deep breaths in her seat, trying to calm herself from what laid ahead of her.

Madeleine had just changed into a more suitable outfit for the first official meeting of her future husband. She had met the prince before on occasion having lived in London for a period of time. They never seemed to click; always getting into a heated debate as their innate stubbornness poured through into their conversations.

The plane was in a private hangar, away from the prying eyes of England’s media. Her mother gently squeezed her arm, bringing her back into reality. Madeleine looked up at her with one last pleading look. Her mother sighed heavily as she could do nothing of the sort to help out her youngest daughter.

“Mother, please.” Madeleine begged as Silvia reached out and grabbed her hand. “Let’s just turn around and go home. Pretend that this is not happening.” Madeleine could feel the tears prickling in her eyes at the thought of what she was about to do. This was surely her last chance to try.

“Madeleine sweetheart. There is nothing I can do. This must happen. We would not make you do this if we had any other solution dear.” Silvia pulled her daughter into a warm embrace.

“I am sure Harry is a well behaved young man now. He will treat you right and with respect.” Silvia cupped Madeleine’s cheeks as she brushed away the tears with her thumbs.

--------------

Harry was standing in the cool fall air watching the plane taxi to a halt. The plane that carried his soon to be wife. The woman who had ruined his life. The woman he would be forced to marry to ensure the place of the monarchy in the UK’s future.

Within a matter of moments, the door opened. Leading the way was her mother Silvia. Then Madeleine stepped out.

Harry took in a quick breath as he first laid eyes on her. She was now a brunette. The last time he had seen her, she was a blonde. Her long legs went on for miles as she grabbed onto the railing. Her head fell down to the ground, carefully watching her well-placed steps in an attempt to make it down the stairs in heels without falling.

Once she reached the bottom, as if she knew he was watching her; their eyes locked. She offered a weak smile as she followed in behind her mother. Silvia greeted each one of them as Madeleine followed her mother’s actions.

She reached Harry and dipped into a perfected curtsy. “Your Highness. It’s a pleasure to see you again.” Madeleine spoke softly, her voice breaking slightly at the word pleasure.

Madeleine came out of her curtsy standing a few inches shorter than Harry as she looked up at him. He could now see the watery and slightly red eyes surrounding her blue irises. She had been crying.

Harry leaned in and kissed her cheek, as did she. He heard a tiny gasp leave her lips as the electricity that passed through their contact as the familiar sensation coursed through both of them. Gaining composure he spoke with a deep voice, “The pleasure is all mine Princess.”

After painfully conversing in small talk, they were being led to the vehicles taking them to Sandringham. Harry walked behind Madeleine, never offering her his arm receiving a glare from his father that he simply dismissed.

Harry stepped in front of her and opened the door. Madeleine smiled as she thought he was being a gentleman until… he stepped into the back seat, slamming the door shut behind him.

Madeleine scoffed. Of course he was not going to be a gentlemen to her at all. Madeleine shook it off and rounded the vehicle. Harry’s RPO rushed to open her door. “Here ma’am. Let me help you with that.” She smiled sweetly at him as she whispered a quiet thank you.

Harry did not even acknowledge her presence as she sat down beside him. It was as if she did not even exist in the moment. She sighed deeply. Was this what she had to look forward too in her future. A man so conceited with himself, not to even be the slightest bit of a gentlemen.

------

It was an hour into their drive when Madeleine could no longer take the lingering silence that fell in between them any longer. “So, how is the army?” Madeleine asked politely. Harry gingerly turned his head in her direction, glaring at her as if she had poked a sleeping bear.

“Fine.” Harry replied in a cut tone. His response hurt Madeleine more than he knew.

He could see the hurt develop in her face as her natural smile fell into a thin straight line. He knew she was only trying to be polite, but he just wanted some quiet. It had been a busy few days and all he needed was time to think. He saw her fiddling nervously with her fingers, playing with a ring on her finger.

He watched her as she sat there in silence. Madeleine could be read like an open book, unlike most royals who had developed a mask for their emotions; she shared hers willingly. It was the one thing that he had come to appreciate about her. No matter whom she was with, you could always tell what she was feeling even as a complete stranger to her like he.

Harry could see she was battling back tears until one betrayed her and fell into her hands. She quickly looked out the window trying hard not to reveal them. All he wanted to do was say he understood and pull her into a hug, letting her cry the tears she most certainly had the permission to cry those tears given the situation.

Tiny sobs filled the back seat as her hands were constantly wiping them away. Her sobs started to become heavy breaths. Madeleine placed her hand on her chest in an attempt to slow them down.

She knew what was about to happen.

She was going to have a panic attack in the backseat beside this careless, heartless man.

It took Harry only a second for his mind to trigger what was happening. He reached for her hand and squeezed it comfortingly. She slowly turned her head and saw their clasped hands as she gripped onto his tightly.

“Madeleine.” Harry spoke softly. His eyes were waiting for hers to reach him. She reluctantly lifted her head and found his worried and sincere eyes staring back into hers.

“Take a deep breath now.” He commanded. She did as she was told, but it was not working.

“STOP!” She screamed breathlessly.

“Stop the car.” Madeleine pleaded tearfully as her gasping continued. Harry signaled for them to stop. The car pulled over to the side of the road and Madeleine stepped out in a hurry.

She heard the door open as Harry quickly made it to her side. “You ok Madeleine?”

“DO I LOOK LIKE I AM OK HENRY!!” Madeleine yelled at him. She was nearly the only person who called him that.

Her breathing was still erratic and yelling at him surely would not help her out. He did the only thing he thought would calm her down.

Harry pulled her quickly to him as he wrapped his arms around her. “NO!” She screamed at him. Her hands balled into fists beating on his hard chest in an attempt to break his embrace. He took each blow, holding onto her tighter.

Within a matter of seconds, she physically could not do it any longer as she became dizzy from the lack of oxygen. She succumbed to his comforting touch and dropped her hands, settling them on his chest.

She was able to match his calm demeanor aligning her breaths with his. Words were not said as they stood on the side of the road in each other’s arms. Madeleine did not need to hear anything from him. She could feel his soothing touch calm her nerves, delivering her out of her panic attack.

“Thank you.” She whispered as her head fell tiredly onto his chest. The past few days had been exhausting for her. Packing everything, saying goodbye to friends and loved ones. All she truly needed right now was what Harry was giving her.

Comfort.

Harry looked down at her. Watching her chest rise and fall in a steady pace. He had caused her panic attack with his selfish acts.

She wasn’t the same Madeleine he had known. The fight within her was gone. The stubbornness lay dormant as life continually tried to beat her down, as he was unable to protect her like he had promised too.

He heard all about her ex-fiancé Jonas. Her first love. Her first everything. At least that was what the papers had said. Except he knew the truth. He was truly her first. She always held a special place in his heart that he was forced to bury deep within him.

The young girl he spent that one summer with had vanished. She was no longer his Madeleine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the first chapter! Please let me know what you think of it!