Lonely, Drunk and Beautiful

Chapter 8

Ariel wakes me up in the morning by opening the door I slept against.
I fall on the carpet with a dull thud, groaning at the throb in my hand as I do.
“Sorry.” she giggles, offering a hand to help me up.
I take it gladly, leaning over the sink and chugging water straight from the tap.
She pushes some pills into my hand, and I look down briefly, water dripping down my chin, but thankfully they’re just the tylenol I got at the hospital.
I toss them back and carry on drinking, and Ariel laughs softly.
“What time is it?” I ask grumpily, wiping my chin with a towel.
“Seven thirty.” she murmurs.
I stare at her, slack-jawed.
“Are you kidding? Fuck that, I’m going back to bed.”
Ariel laughs, grabbing my arm.
“We skipped school yesterday, Jacky, c’mon, you gotta. Besides, I think there’s someone you need to apologise to.” she says gently, looking at me from underneath long, dark eyelashes.
I sigh.
“This is why I don’t let you come over anymore.” I mutter.
“Because I make you do stuff?” she smirks, pushing past me.
I nod, even though she can’t see me, wandering after her and watching her pack her things hurriedly.
She smacks the bottle of Vicodin on my dresser, winking.
“Because you’re in pain.” she winks, grabbing her keys. “See you in school hun.”
I hear a door slam, and she’s gone.
I let out a heartfelt groan, sitting on my mattress and burying my left hand in my hair.

___________________________

I dress to match my mood/soul, a pair of black skinny jeans, a loose black tee, and white comfy sneakers, shoving my hair in a dark blue beanie.
I’m disgustingly early to school, despite my impressively slow pace, and go to the back to have a smoke, before I realise I left my phone and smokes at Alex’s house.
Resisting the urge to smash my face into a wall, I instead lightly tap my splinted hand against the brick next to me, the wave of agony that follows sating my anger for now.
“Jack?”
As if on cue, I hear Alex’s voice, noting the tint of fear hidden in it.
I fix my eyes to the floor, knowing seeing his bruised face will only send me into another shame spiral.
“You, uh, forgot these.” he stutters, and his hands reach forward, one hand holding my phone and wallet, the other with my cigarettes and lighter.
“Thanks.” I say softly, gently taking the phone and wallet and shoving them in my back pocket.
I go to reach for the other hand, but it’s disappeared, forcing me to look up.
Alex is leant against the wall next to me, and I watch incredulously as he places a cigarette between his beesting lips, easily sparking off my lighter and igniting the tip.
“Did you happen to bring my condom?” I say bluntly, and he splutters, smoke erupting out of his nose.
My mouth pulls up in a half-smirk, and I prise the packet from his fingers, lighting myself a cigarette and pocketing the pack.
“Easy, Alex. I was only kidding.” I say, blowing out a long stream of smoke.
We smoke in silence for a few minutes. I drop my dimp onto the floor and crush it, and Alex does the same.
I return my eyes to the floor, and he sneaks a glance, swallowing lightly, and goes to walk away.
I grab his wrists, spinning him back to me and pressing him back against the wall.
My fingers drift over the light dusting of bruising underneath his eye, and he shivers at the contact.
“Why’d you come back?” I murmur softly.
“Guys who hurt me really turn me on.” he deadpans, and I raise one eyebrow.
“Easy Jack, I was only kidding.” he mocks gently, and stands on his tiptoes, so our foreheads are pressed together. “Honestly, I was hoping you had an explanation for me.”
I swallow.
“Alex…”
“You’re sorry. I know. But what I’m really after is an explanation.” he murmurs, his breath hot on my lips.
He pulls back slightly to observe my expression, and the corner of his mouth quirks upwards.
“Maybe this will help to persuade you.” he says softly, pressing his lips against mine.
He starts it off as a sweet kiss, but his lips are hot and wet against mine and the heat goes straight to my groin. Before I can even register what I’m doing, I have my hands on his ass, hoisting him up. He wraps his legs around my waist and I turn, slamming him against the wall and kissing him feverishly.
Alex nips my bottom lip and I groan, fingernails digging into his ass, sucking on his bottom lip a little bit.
It carries on until I’m going dizzy from lightheadedness, and I release my hold on Alex, who lands gracefully on his feet.
He’s smirking a little bit, hair mussed and lips kiss-swollen, eyes sparkling, and I resist the urge to grab hold of him again.
“Think about it. Text me when you grow a pair.” he murmurs, and walks off, once again perfectly in sync with the bell.
“But I don’t have your number…” I say, dazed, a few minutes after he leaves, and dig in my back pocket, pulling out my phone and scrolling through my contacts.
Sure enough, there’s a new contact saved under “Your newest booty call.”
I laugh under my breath, shoving my phone back, and as much as I try, I can’t get the smirk off my face all day.