Status: i.give.up.

True Nature

warm and moving

“So, what, you type my symptoms on WebMD, Dr. Stilinski?” She teased, falling back on her bed as Stiles elected to slide into the chair at her desk. It was a little messy but he didn’t seem to mind shoving her papers and books aside to clear a space for her laptop.

“Humor as a defense mechanism, that’s unique.”

“Wanna go there, Sergeant Sarcasm?”

“Fair enough. And no – mythical websites, genius.”

“How do you know if they’re legit?”

“Well, we don’t really but at least we’ll be able to have some ideas before you freak out during the full moon and we’re clueless about what you are.”

“So it doesn’t always make you a wolf?” Stiles turned from her laptop booting up and leaned forward, curious by the seriousness in her voice as it slightly trembled.

“No … Lydia was bitten and she became a banshee. And her ex-boyfriend became a kanima.”

“Um … what?”

“Well, Lydia can … we don’t really know everything she can do but she senses death a lot.”

“Cheery.”

“And a kanima … well, somehow he – you know what? It isn’t important. He’s a werewolf now living in London.”

“The jokes one could make.”

“And has made. But I think he’s doing okay. And Kira is … well, she’s actually something really interesting that we also haven’t completely figured out but she’s a kitsune. She does things with electricity and swords. She was not bitten by a werewolf, though. She just was one. Like her mom.”

“And what about you?”

“Me? Oh I’m as human as they come.”

“There was something just now in your head … you made a choice.”

“That is going to take some getting used to. I’m not sure I like it..." He mused, before continuing. "I had the choice and I chose to remain human and not be bitten. As you heard, not everyone can survive the bite.”

“Was that the only reason?”

“I don’t know … it’s a little scary thinking about how Scott was at first. He has control now and can do amazing things but …”

“With great power comes great responsibility.” When he quirked an eyebrow at her she just shrugged. “Who said comics weren’t informative?”

“Come on, let’s figure out some prospective monsters you might turn into in a couple nights.”

An hour later and Stiles was passed out over her laptop. She heard a thunk but had no idea what is was from her spot laying on her bed and reading papers he had printed out. When she looked behind her she grinned at his position and the idea of him having her keyboard imprinted on his face if she let him stay there awhile. But the position was awkward and he’d have one heck of a crick in his neck if she didn’t wake him up. When she begrudgingly climbed off the bed, her eyes drifted from his adorable sleeping face to the screen up on his computer and what he had open.

It was a page on the myths about the lynx according to Native American tribes in the southwest. She didn’t know much about the lynx other than that they were a large cat she never wanted to cross in the wild but she had no idea that they had a mythical background. The thing that struck her most was the tagline below the title on the page – ‘The Keeper of Secrets’. The lynx, according to these tribes, were said to see past obstacles to find out the truth whether it’s inside someone’s mind in the form of clairvoyance or seeing through solid objects to what is being concealed. Well, she certainly had the clairvoyance thing going on.

She grabbed the laptop and put it on her bed before grabbing a pillow to prop Stiles up on the desk, her focus much more zeroed in on the page he had stumbled across. Maybe he wasn’t supernatural but he had an uncanny ability of finding things, that was for sure. She read every word on the page, which wasn’t much and not nearly enough to prepare her for what was to come, but for some reason it seemed so … plausible. Looking at the picture of the lynx, something sparked inside of her. Almost like her body knew and was telling her it’s truth. A lynx.

Their eyes were even a golden yellow.

Bright blue eyes and fangs coming at her woke her from a restless sleep so abruptly she nearly fell off the bed. In fact, she should have if it weren’t for coming into contact with something. Something … warm and moving. She turned her head slowly and noted the vacant seat at her desk so she already knew what she was about to find next to her in bed but it didn’t lessen the surprise at all when her eyes finally landed on Stiles laying next to her with his arm draped over her waist as if to keep her close to him. Though it was loosely strewn, the second she moved it tighten infinitesimally.

“Early.” He mumbled, burrowing his head further into her pillow. Her laptop that she had been reading was sitting nicely on the chair next to her bed out of the way and giving her room to turn around to face him. She could have easily moved his arm but it felt quite nice and soothing so she let it stay there and looked up at the clock to see it was nearly five in the morning.

She needed to wake him. Though her parents had never expressly said so, she was pretty sure they wouldn’t be happy about a boy sleeping in her room. She stopped for just a moment to study his face as he slept. Stiles had an innocence about his face underneath the distinct look in his eyes that he had seen way more than any teenager ever should. So, when those eyes were closed, he looked unbelievably peaceful and her hand stopped mid-reach to wake him to just enjoy the view for another minute.

“Stop that.” He murmured, popping one eye open.

“What?”

“Staring at me. It’s creepy.” Though he was admonishing her, his lips quirked in a half smile. “I know I’m fabulous looking first thing in the morning but if the sun isn’t up yet then neither am I. Go back to sleep.”

“You can’t be found in my room, Stiles. And your hand is dancing dangerously close to my ass.” That woke him up the rest of the way as he snatched his hand back like he was on fire and ended up rolling off the bed. She just laughed quietly and shook her head. “I’m guessing that was unintentional.”

“Ow and sorry. It wasn’t there when I fell asleep.” She rolled to hang her head over the other side of her bed to look at him laying flat on her floor on his back.

“I think you found out what I’m turning into.” She whispered.

“The lynx. I remember.”

“Explains some things. Should we call Scott?”

“Later.” He groaned, sitting up. “I can’t properly function this early. More sleep.”

“Keep your hand off my ass and you can come back to the bed until I hear my parents.”

“Can you hear them?” He asked, climbing back into the bed but keeping a safe distance as they both laid on their backs and stared at her ceiling.

“Yeah. They’re dreaming.”

“About what?”

“Me. Dying. Both of them.” She could feel his eyes on her and turned to look at him.

“We won’t let that happen, Rosie.”

He promised her and almost immediately fell asleep. No one had ever called her ‘Rosie’ before. Not even her parents. It sounded strange but comforting at the same time. She smiled to herself and looked back up at the ceiling with a faint blush on her cheeks. She liked it. Way more than she should like a simple nickname. She didn’t even try to remove his hand this time when it found its way back to wrapping around her waist and pulling her into him.

It was the most restful sleep she had had since she was bitten.
♠ ♠ ♠
The secret is out! There is plenty more to find out about her but a taste of what's to come.
And some adorable Stiles.

Thoughts??
Thanks for reading and all your comments!
xoxo, Erin