Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"What If Your Brain's Bleeding?!"

_The Next Day_

Early the next morning I was at the pool.

I wasn't about to have to beat my way through a crowd with a stick to get a sun lounger in the afternoon. Not really my style.

I put my sunglasses on and lay down with an exasperated sigh.

Silence in the morning... You can't beat it.

Well, my silence and peace was completely shattered when I heard 'CHARGE!', a splash and a scream echoing out of my mouth.

I shot upright from my lounger, my breathing shaky as I finished squealing, my soaking wet body beginning to grow goose-bumps.

I pulled my sunglasses from my face and my head shot up as I heard a voice.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry! I didn't realise I'd make such a big splash!" A male voice echoed.

My eyes travelled up to the boy who had begun to turn away.

"I'll get you a towel," He spoke quickly before hurrying off.

"Are you okay?" Another voice added. I looked over and saw a girl smiling apologetically.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just shocked me is all," I smiled back, "Thanks for asking though,"

"You're welcome," The girl looked slightly older than me and she smiled politely.

"He's very excitable," She chuckled.

"I guess I shouldn't have picked a spot so close to the pool" I spoke as I eyed the other seats around me.

"Here's your towel," The boy smiled.

"Thank you," I replied gratefully before wiping my face, "Is this yours or the hotel's?"

"It's mine, why? Does it smell all aftershave-y and boyish, 'cause I thought it was clean,"

"Oh no it smells lovely, I was just wondering because I don't want to go drying myself with a towel that belongs to someone,"

"Oh right, don't worry about it, feel free. It's clean and you need it more than I do right now,"

I smiled, flashing my teeth at his generous gesture.

"I swear I'll never splash you again, I really didn't mean it,"

"I know you didn't, don't fret. If it was me I would've just apologised and went back to my fun," I chuckled.

There was a momentary silence.

"You look familiar, have I seen you before?" He asked. I frowned.

"Is that some sort of crap pick up line joke because it's not funny you-"

"No, no, honestly, I think I've seen you somewhere before..." He spoke as he scanned my face.

I took a proper glance at him, eyeing him all over.

"Actually, I think I have seen you before..."

Suddenly, his eyes brightened in recognition.

"I remember now! You're that girl who was writing me messages through the window last night!" He beamed, "Rachel, isnt it?"

And it clicked in my mind.

"Yeah it is," I nodded, "I remember now, you're um... Um..." I paused, "Hang on, I know this one... You're um..."

"Sebastien," he laughed.

"Sebastien! I knew that! I did know that I swear. My memory is like a sieve these days,"

"Well it's nice to actually meet the strange girl who was passing messages to random people," He held out his hand.

"It's nice to met the even stranger guy who replies to the strange girl's messages," I grinned, shaking his hand.

"Touche," He nodded with a smile.

"So, how long are you here for Sebastien?" I asked, making small talk.

"We leave not this Friday but the Friday after," He spoke slowly, rolling his eyes upwards as he tried to remember, "What about you?"

"I leave the Wednesday before you do,"

"Cool. So you staying for two weeks altogether or is it a ten day thing?"

"Ten days, you?"

"Two weeks," He replied.

"Awesome, well, I'm gonna get back because I can see my mother is awake and apparently she wants me back at our room,"

I rolled my eyes as they briefly landed on my mother waving profusely at me from our balcony with an angered look on her face.

"She seems angry," Sebastien frowned as he looked over at her.

"I may have snuck out in an attempt to get away from early morning family time," I winced and he chuckled.

"I'd better get back before she explodes. If you hear a loud bang after I'm gone then don't expect to see me with a head and no bite marks at the neck," I joked.

"I'll cross my fingers for a no bang situation,"

"Thanks," I grinned, "It was nice to meet you,"

"Nice to meet you too,"

"I'll see you around?" My tone was hopeful as I spoke.

"If I'm lucky enough," He smiled sweetly and I couldn't help but grin before waving goodbye and heading back to the hotel room.

_Sebastien's P.O.V_

I watched Rachel wave before I turned back around to see my sister with a smirk across her face.

"What?" I frowned.

"You fancy her," She teased.

"Shut up, I do not," I defended as I slid back into the pool.

"Yes you do, I can totally tell,"

"Can you now? Well your reading skills suck so you're wrong, shut up,"

"I'm not taking the piss, she's a pretty girl,"

"Is she? I hadn't noticed," I lied.

"Don't tell fibs Sebastien, it's not good for the soul,"

"Alright, so I did notice that she's pretty,"

"She's a nice girl too,"

"Yeah she is,"

"Aww, I think Sebby has found his holiday romance," she cooed.

I sent a glare and a large splash of water her way, "I haven't, and I don't fancy her. Shut up,"

_Rachel's P.O.V_
_Two Days Later_

"Rachel, you told me- No, you promised be that you would spend the rest of the holiday with this family if I let you stay here two nights ago, and now you want to break that promise? No, not a chance in hell Rachel Marie Morgan!" My mother full named me, "This is a family holiday! You are included in this family and so you are included in the family activities!"

"But mum!"

"Don't 'but mum' me! You can go to the beach when family time is over,"

"What's the point in family time anyway?! All Ste does is drink alcohol and look at women that he has no chance of getting. If he's not doing that then he's sitting in a corner reading a book. And you and dad? Well if you're not arguing and making a scene then you're dragging us to some boring place that no-one but you would ever want to be. Family activities mean activities that the whole family can enjoy and it always ends up the same way- with me almost falling asleep and my only reason to stay awake is to listen to the music coming through my headphones!"

"Have you finished?" My mum spoke, her eyebrow raised as she glowered upon me with fury.

I inhaled deeply, my breath shaking due to all the built up anger.

"I've spent the past two days doing what everyone else wants mum, I've even pretended to enjoy myself. It's my holiday too, it's a family holiday. If you say I'm part of this family too then I should get the holiday part as well. I'm only asking for two-three hours of today and the rest of my day will be dedicated to family time, I swear. I just want three hours to myself each day to do what I want and you can have the rest of my time," I sighed, calming down and softening my hardened, angered features.

She stared at me or a few seconds.

"Fine, do whatever you want. But I want you back here in two hours," She caved.

I smiled gratefully, "Thanks, mum,"

"Yeah, yeah," She rolled her eyes and say down on the couch, crossing one leg over the other.

I kissed her cheek and headed out the door after grabbing my towel and my surfboard.

Onwards to the beach!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_An Hour Later_

An hour later I ran out of the water and she grabbed hold of my towel that was lying on the sand.

I ran it over my hair to dry it the best I could before I pulled down the top half of my suit to expose the upper half of my swimming costume.

I threw my towel over my shoulder and put my surfboard under my arm.

"Hey Rachel," A voice spoke from behind me, startling me slightly.

I jumped and spun around rapidly to face the person.

Unfortunately, my surfboard fancied twirling further than me and smacked them hard in the side.

"Oof!" He groaned, stumbling slightly and holding onto his side.

"Oh crap! I'm so sorry, you scared me and I just- Sorry!!" I rambled, "I didn't realise how close you were, I'm so sorry!" I spoke as I dropped my board and held my hands out to him as some feeble attempt to help, "Are you alright?"

Sebastien nodded and breathed deeply for a second before he stood up straight.

"Yeah, I'm fine it just shocked me is all. I should've seen it coming really," He chuckled.

"If that bruises, I swear to God, I'll like... Buy you something or I'll let you hit me with the board to even the score,"

He laughed, "Rachel, it's fine honestly, my reactions aren't quick enough, I'm too tired. Besides, it's my fault, I shouldn't have scared you,"

I smiled, "I'm sorry,"

"It's okay. Why do we always meet in weird situations?"

I giggled and shrugged, "Probably because I'm not a normal sort of girl,"

"It doesn't help that I'm not exactly completely sane either," He added, "I didn't know you surfed,"

"Oh yeah, I'm better in the water than I am with it on land. You're about the fifth person I've hit today,"

"Maybe you should hold it upright," He suggested.

"Nah, it's a lot more fun this way. And if someone looks at me funny then I can hit them and pretend it was an accident,"

He chuckled, "Nice, sounds like the perfect revenge,"

"It is," I nodded with a grin, "Fancy an ice-cream?"

"That's a fantastic idea," He agreed.

"Great," I beamed and took my board from the floor before walking towards the stairs leading to the street.

Sebastien followed me, making small talk as we headed for the shop.

"So how long have you been surfing for?" He asked casually.

"Um... A few years but I only really get chance to do it when we're on holiday. I have to pretty much re-learn everything when we go abroad. I'm getting used to getting back into the swing of it quickly because I've done it so much," I replied, "So is there any talents that you have?"

He shrugged, "I don't really know... I wouldn't know what to describe as a talent,"

"Well... Do you do any sports? Or write stuff? Play an instrument, or sing? Or acting? Or wiggling your ears? Even being able to turn your eyelids inside out?" I shrugged.

He laughed lightly, "Well, I can't turn my eyelids inside out but I do write some lyrics and I play guitar... I sing sometimes too,"

"Oh, fantastic! How long have you been playing for?"

"Um... A few years,"

"So what do you play? Lead or rhythm or both?"

"Both, depending on the song I'm learning really. But I mainly do rhythm,"

"Awesome. It'd be good to hear you play one day,"

"I don't have my guitar with me so the chances of that will be quite small,"

I sighed, "Oh, that would've been really good,"

"Ah well, maybe I could see you surf instead?"

"Well maybe tomorrow or something, I've dealt with my mum that if she gives me two or three hours to myself a day then I'll spend the rest of the day with the family. We had an argument before and she's just barely given me two hours today. Hopefully she'll be nice. But I only have about an hour left and I still need to shower and everything before we go out,"

"Oh right... But you'll be sure to show me what you can do, right? I'd love to see it,"

"Yeah, sure, why not?" I shrugged as we arrived at the shop. He held the door open for me and I smiled widely.

"Thanks,"

"You're welcome," He grinned back.

We quickly ordered our ice-creams and then left the shop.

"So, were you on your own at the beach or were you with your family?" I asked.

"I was alone. I just came for a walk because the hotel room was completely mad. Everyone was running around like headless chickens so I escaped for a few minutes to clear my head before I ran into you,"

"More like got smacked in the side by me," I corrected.

He chuckled, "Yeah, but the ice-cream was worth it,"

I smiled, "It was actually. I will pay you back for this. I completely forgot that I didnt have money..."

"Hey, don't worry about it, it was my treat,"

"Thanks, but I will pay you back, on top of the compensation for board-slapping you,"

"Honestly, Rachel, its fine. Consider it a present?" He spoke with a questionable tone.

"What for?"

"For your birthday..." He rolled his eyes.

"My birthday was about three months ago,"

"Then consider it a really late birthday present," He beamed.

I laughed, "You're so strange,"

"Well right back at you,"

"Thanks, I prefer strange to normal. It's so much more fun,"

"I agree," He nodded.

"What's the time, please?" I enquired.

"Um..." He trailed off as he looked at his watch, "Just after two-fifteen,"

"I have about fifteen minutes before I definitely have to be back,"

"Fancy a game of pool? The hotel's only a two minute walk away from here..." He proposed.

"Yeah, sure, I'm crap at it but why not?" I shrugged.

"Cool," he smiled before guiding me to the hotel and up to the room with the pool table. I rested my board up against the wall.

I eyed him carefully as he set up the balls.

"Hey, Rachel?" He spoke, question audible in his tone.

"Yeah?" I replied as I leaned most of my body weight on my cue.

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen, you?"

"Seventeen," he answered, removing the triangle from the now set up balls and taking hold of his cue, "You break,"

I grimaced and nodded before taking my shot and barely moving the balls.

"I told you I'm crap," I laughed at my feeble attempt to play the game.

He chuckled and reset them before walking over to the side of the table opposite me.

"Right, hold your cue like you usually would," He ordered. I nodded and did so.

"Okay, now bend down so that your chin is hovering above the cue,"

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Why?"

"Because you can see better and aim better," He replied.

"Oh," I mouthed before doing as he said. He knelt down so he was at eye level with me as I bent down.

"Now aim slightly to one side of the front ball,"

I nodded and moved my cue slightly.

"Now pull your cue back as far as you can without it falling off your hand,"

I did so.

"And then just smack it forward,"

And so I did...

"OW, FUCK!" Sebastien cried, holding his head in pain, "Rachel, you're meant to hit the middle of the ball, not the bottom!" He complained.

I dropped the cue and held a hand to my mouth before running over to him.

"Oh my God, Sebastien I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it! Are you okay?"

"It's okay, don't worry about it," He whined as he rubbed his head.

"It's not okay at all! Are you alright?"

"Apart from brain damage I think I'm fine," He joked.

"Ahhh man, please don't sue me," I whimpered.

He laughed slightly, "I'm not going to sue you Rachel, calm down. I'm only joking, I think I need ice or something,"

"I think you need a doctor. I think I've given you concussion. What if you're brain's bleeding?! Oh my GOD, I'm SO sorry!! If you die I swear to God I'll spend the rest of my life beating myself up about it and I'll go to hell and pay for it. I won't let myself get away with it I promise!"

"Rachel! Calm the hell down, I'm fine, it wasn't that hard,"

"You seriously need to stay away from me, I'm the biggest jinx in the world,"

"You're not, I think you're just... Clumsy or something,"

"Or I'm just really stupid. I think you should go to your hotel room and put ice on it. And rest for like... Ever,"

He laughed, "Maybe not forever, maybe just a few hours, and take a lot of pain-killers,"

I nodded, "Do you want some help?"

"That'd be good,"

"Are you sure? 'Cause I might accidentally trip you up and make you fall down the stairs,"

"Rachel, it's fine honestly. I'm only across the hall. There's no stairs,"

"Positive?"

He nodded briefly, "I'm positive. I just want someone there to make sure I'm not of my own if I faint or something,"

"Do you think it's wise that that person is me?"

"Not really, but you're the best I have right now,"

I nodded and led him out of the door after hauling my board under one of my arms.

"Where about is it?"

"Room 18," He replied, "That way," He spoke, pointing to the diagonal right of us.

I led him in that direction and found the room quickly before knocking on the door.

A middle-aged woman opened the door and frowned worriedly at Sebastien.

"What happened?" She fretted.

"I fell and hit my head," Sebastien replied as he stumbled into the room.

"Who's this?" She enquired as she smiled at me.

"This is Rachel, she helped me home,"

"I'll let you get on with it, I hope you feel better Sebastien and I am really sorry," I ushered him over to his mother (At least I think she was his mother).

"It's okay, I'll see you around,"

"See you," I waved goodbye before I hurried away to my part of the building.

I am SUCH an idiot.

I am the most clumsy, stupid person in the whole world.

Only a total idiot could smack someone with a surfboard and then hit them in the head with a really hard ball.

Why do I always make an idiot of myself?

It really is official, I'm a jinx.

... But then again I'm never this clumsy around anyone else.

Well... That's an unusual thought.

Why am I stupid around him more than everyone else?

... Well there's a question to baffle the mind...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, they can take, take, take the kids from the summer
But they'll never, never, never take the summer from me
It was the very first time that I lost my mind for a week
They can make, make, make me forget the weather
But they'll never, never, never wash the sand from my feet
It was the very last time that we said goodbye to the beach
Showing off, showing off our teeth

All Time Low- The Beach
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------