Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"Toast Wins Every Time"

Monday November 24th 2008

When I woke up after, pretty much, a fifteen hour sleep, I felt really refreshed.

I felt slightly icky because I was still in my clothes from yesterday and the blanket was quite itchy- But I still appreciated Pierre's gesture.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," Pierre's cheery voice came into the living room.

"Morning," I smiled, leaning up on my elbows, "I guess my nap turned into a full blown coma,"

He laughed and handed me a glass of orange juice, "After all the running around I did looking for your markers and pencils too!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I completely forgot, I didn't realise,"

"It's okay, I'm just kidding. So did you get anymore ideas for your remodelling then?"

"Um..." I paused for a second as I tried to get my brain in gear, "I think so. I considered the idea of kind of having a coffee shop type thing mixed in with the bar but I wasn't sure about it. I know that there's lots of bad things that could come out of that so it kind of put me off,"

"Did you decide on a colour scheme?"

"I think I might go for the red and mahogany but it's so difficult to decide so I think I'm going to ask Ray's opinion,"

"Are you going down there today?"

"Yeah, I'm going to go down there in about two hours,"

"Do you mind if I tag along?"

I frowned in confusion, "Don't you have work?"

"Nope, I got someone to cover for me,"

"Oh okay, well you can come with me if you like," I shrugged.

He nodded and sat back on the couch.

"Did you find out what it was that Sebastien wanted?"

"He said it was something to do with Saturday but he phoned Chuck instead, so he didn't need me anymore,"

I sighed, "Fair enough,"

"I left your pencils and stuff in the dining room, and I moved your work too because I figured you'd have more space,"

"Thanks," I smiled, "I think I'm going to stop by the DIY shop before I go to see Ray so I can pick up some colour charts to show him,"

"Cool, well we can take my car so go get something to eat and get ready; I'll be back in an hour to get you," He said, standing up from the couch.

"Where are you going now?" I sighed.

"I have some stuff to take care of,"

I frowned suspiciously and grimaced when he patted my head.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it,"

I slapped his hand away, "Don't patronise me,"

He smirked and I shook my head.

"I'll see you in a bit," He greeted, leaning down to kiss my head.

I pulled away and huffed.

"Hey!" He complained.

"Those who patronise me don't even have the right to touch me, sweetheart," I raised an eyebrow at him and he laughed.

"Fine," He shrugged, "Be ready when I get back,"

"Yes sir," I saluted him sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes and left the house.

Patronising little idiot.

As the next few days passed, not much happened really.

Ray decided on mahogany and red and spent my next few days off going over my designs.

I decided that I was going to start doing the place up next week when Sebastien and Beth were on their honeymoon- I figured it would be a good distraction.

Pierre had been working late the past few nights claiming he was doing overtime so he could take next week off to help me.

Every day from about 1pm to when Pierre got home, I was redoing my designs but I still ended up going back to the original.

But today was Thursday and I was bored of doing the same thing only to come up with the original idea.

So, after sorting out some stuff with my house, I called up Mia.

"Hello?" She answered, seeming a little out of breath.

"Hey Mia,"

"Hey Rach, what's up?"

"Um... Nothing much really, I'm quite bored, what about you?"

"I'm just doing the usual stuff, you know?"

"Are you okay? You seem a little breathless,"

"I'm fine, I've just been exercising is all,"

"Exercising? Mia you're exercise-a-phobic,"

"I am not!"

"You really are, you break out in a rash whenever someone mentions the word sit-up,"

"Hey! I am so not that bad!"

"If you say so. So, why the sudden change of heart anyway?"

"I just figured I should try it,"

"Well there's a first time for everything,"

"Listen love, stop with these sly digs or I'm going to shove an exercise bike so far up your arse you'll be shitting gears for a year,"

I laughed, "Okay, okay, so are you done exercising?"

"Um... Kind of, why?"

"I just wondered if you wanted to do something,"

"I'd love to sweetie but I'm a little busy at the moment,"

"I thought you were 'kind of' finished working out. Can you not just warm down and do something with me?"

"I would but I have to go see my mum this afternoon so I need to finish up and then get myself ready,"

I sighed despondently, "Okay then, I guess I'll speak to you soon,"

"Sorry love, I'll see you later,"

I hung up and sat back in my chair.

Everyone's been busy lately when I need company.

God, I have no friends.

Mia's P.O.V

"What are you going to do with that exercise bike exactly?" Chuck laughed.

I smiled and place my phone back under a sheet.

"I must admit, you do have the best threats ever," Sebastien complimented.

"Thank you,"

He shot me a grin.

"Come on people, back to work, chop-chop!" Pierre clapped his hands.

"Yes boss," I rolled my eyes and picked up my paintbrush.

"You missed a spot," Pierre murmured as he walked past me.

I shot out my brush and slapped him in the stomach with it.

"Don't push your luck Bouvier,"

Rachel's P.O.V
Friday, 7pm


"Come on!" Pierre jumped into the room making me flinch dramatically in fright.

I lifted my head up from my sketches and frowned, "Come on, where?"

"I'm taking you out," He announced.

"Out where?"

"Somewhere,"

"If you're going to abduct me and take me somewhere then I think I have the right to know where,"

"It's a surprise,"

"I don't like surprises,"

"Will you just shut up and go get changed? Honestly, still in your pyjamas at this hour!"

My eyebrow lifted, "Have you been taking oestrogen pills or something, mum?"

He shook his head and pulled me up from the seat before ushering me to the stairs.

"Up, changed, down and out," He ordered, "Ten minutes, go,"

I sighed and plodded up the stairs.

I changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before fixing my hair and slumping back down the stairs again.

"God if you go any slower you'll stop," Pierre retorted as he stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at me.

"Shut up, I'm tired," I mumbled as I came face to face with him.

"Tired?! You've done fuck all today!" He scoffed, grabbing my hand and leading me out of the door.

I gave him a 'V' sign with my fingers and allowed myself to be dragged to the car.

"So where are we going?"

"I already told you that I'm not telling you so stop asking,"

"Is it a good thing or a bad thing?"

"It's a surprise thing,"

I slapped his arm, "Pierre!"

"Rachel!" He mocked.

"Ugh," I huffed as he got into the car and I put on my seat belt.

"You know that I always win Rach, so why argue?"

I rolled my eyes and leaned on my hand, watching the houses pass by.

"If it eases your mind, if it was something bad I would've broken it to you already, I doubt I'd ever take you to the scene of the crime,"

I cast a glance over to him and shrugged, "I know,"

He suddenly pulled over and turned off the engine.

I frowned, not recognising my surroundings, "Where are we?"

He ignored me and got out of the car before coming around to my side.

He helped me out of the car and locked up before pulling a long, black piece of material out from his pocket.

"What's that for?"

He gestured for me to turn around and I folded my arms across my chest.

"No, not until you tell me what it's for," I huffed stubbornly.

"It's a blindfold," He replied, walking over to me and attempting to turn me around.

I pulled away from him, "You are so not blindfolding me!"

"I so am," He imitated.

I glared at him and tried to dodge him as he reached for me but he gave up trying to catch me and dived at me, picking me up and pressing me against the car.

He pinned my limbs and smirked, "Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way, which do you prefer?"

I sighed dejectedly, "Easy way,"

He winked and released me, "Good,"

I turned around and he gently placed the blindfold over my eyes.

Once he'd checked that it was secure enough, he leaned in close.

"Trust me," He whispered with a reassuring tone.

I nodded into the blackness, "I do,"

"I'll give you a piggy-back ride so you don't fall over when I'm taking you," He spoke as I felt his presence move from my personal space.

"Okay, where are you?" I held out my hands in an attempt to feel for him.

I felt his fingers link with mine and quickly release them then he moved my hands onto his shoulders.

Quickly, I fumbled at his hips so I knew where I was jumped to (earning a small, girlish squeal from Pierre) before I counted down from three and leaped onto his back.

My arms were wrapped loosely around his neck.

"How far away is this place?" I questioned as I rested my head on his.

"Not far," He answered as he turned a corner.

"Are there people in the street? We must look like right idiots like this,"

He laughed, "It's all part of the fun,"

After a minute or two we came to a halt and Pierre carefully let me down to my feet.

"Ready?" He began.

"Completely,"

"You can't take your blindfold off until I tell you to,"

"I won't,"

He took hold of my hands and slowly guided me forwards, informing me when there were steps and such.

I heard a door open and my stomach churned nervously.

"Don't be scared," Pierre whispered to me.

"How did you know I was?"

"Rach, this is me you're talking to,"

I nodded, "Point taken,"

"Okay, now you can stop,"

I did as I was told and shoved my hands in my pockets.

"Can I take my blindfold off now?" I asked sweetly.

"Yeah, let me get that for you," He replied as I felt his fingertips fumble at the back of my head before my blindfold was removed but I was still engulfed in blackness.

"I can't see a thing. It's pitch black,"

He took my hand once again and lifted it over to the wall where he hovered over a switch.

"When I count down from three, I want you to switch on the lights,"

"Okay," I agreed, my eyes adjusted enough for me to make out a stool in front of me.

"Three, two, one," He counted slowly.

I pressed my finger against the switch and heard it click.

There was a small pause before the lights shone on the room.

I shielded my eyes for a second as my pupils adjusted themselves to the newly blinding light.

I blinked rapidly and squinted at the floor.

Laminate flooring.

My eyes looked up to the walls.

Mahogany wood panelling and red paint.

"Holy crap," I breathed.

I glanced over to a table where Mia, Chuck, Jeff, David and Sebastien were sat, grinning at me like idiots.

I gazed at the newly built stage area in the corner.

There was only three or four tables scattered around the room.

"It's not fully furnished or decorated with pictures and stuff yet because we weren't sure what you wanted. We wanted you to have something to do with it too. It's all based off your designs and your colour schemes but-"

"You complete bastard,"

His smile fell, "What?"

"You've made me cry," I whimpered, wiping at my eyes.

"Did we fuck it up?"

I shook my head, "No, it's perfect," I smiled.

He and the others all let out a sigh of relief.

"It's better than perfect. There're no words to describe it,"

I held my hand over my mouth

"Did all of you do this?" I questioned, my voice cracking slightly.

They nodded.

"Thank you so much," I sniffed, "God, I'm such a wimp,"

Pierre laughed and took my in his arms as the others came over to us.

"I could kiss you right now," I mumbled to him.

"Well only Mia would think it's weird because the guys still think we're dating,"

At the mention of this, I looked up at him and crushed my lips to his briefly.

"You are the best fake boyfriend ever," I murmured so the others couldn't hear, "For the record, that wasn't a meaningful kiss,"

He nodded, "I know,"

I turned around to face the others and they all smiled at me.

I grinned and paused for a second.

I now had to hug them all while avoiding a direct hug from Sebastien (for obvious reasons) and I couldn't hug everyone else then not hug him because it wouldn't be polite.

"Group hug!" I yelled, diving over to them and putting my arms around the group as far as possible.

I gave Mia an extra squeeze at the end because she deserved it.

"You weren't exercising were you?" I smiled.

"Hell no!" She laughed.

"Is there still alcohol in here or did you take it out?"

"I think it's all there," She replied.

"I guess this calls for celebration,"

She grinned and I wandered behind the bar, getting everyone's usual drink prepared.

"So you like it then, yeah?" Pierre's voice came from the other side of the bar.

"I adore it," I beamed at him.

He smiled, "Great,"

"Thank you so much, this is the best surprise ever!"

"Well... It's not really me you should be thanking,"

"Huh?"

"It wasn't my idea,"

I frowned, "Whose was it then?"

He raised his eyebrows at me and shrugged sheepishly.

I knew what that meant.

"Mia's?" I guessed almost pleadingly. I knew it was wrong.

He shook his head.

"Chuck's?"

"I'll give you a clue- it starts with s and ends with –ebastien,"

"I was afraid of that,"

"You should say thank you,"

"I said thank you before,"

"Yeah well maybe you should give him an extra special thank you,"

"I hardly think that's appropriate after what's happened,"

"Well maybe you should think about apologising for that too, it was a little harsh,"

"Don't you dare do this," I growled.

"Do what?" He said just as fiercely.

"Don't you be a hypocrite and ruin a good night,"

He huffed, "But-"

"I don't care," I snapped, "No matter what he's done for me, I will not go back on my word,"

"What 'word'?!" He hissed.

"The word I swore to myself that I'd have nothing to do with him unless I fancied having my heart shattered into sixty million pieces one day,"

We glared at each other for a few seconds before I slammed some drinks on the counter, forcing him to flinch.

He let out an aggravated grunt and took the drinks over to the table.

I closed my eyes while I calmed down then brought the rest of the drinks over to the table.

Spitefully, I took another chair from a nearby table even though there was a perfectly empty seat beside Pierre.

As everyone seemed to notice this, I could feel the tension thicken while Pierre and I blatantly ignored each other.

I huffed and grabbed my drink, gulping it down as I glowered at Pierre over the rim of my glass.

I felt extremely angry at him right now and eventually I got up from the table announcing that I had to go to the bathroom.

Mia watched me with wary eyes as I got up and left the room.

I knew she'd followed me as soon as I'd stepped into the bathroom.

I finished in the toilet and was washing my hands when she walked in.

Feeling her eyes on me from both the mirror and on my back, I lowered my head.

I switched off the tap and Mia's hand appeared beside me with some paper towels.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

"You're welcome," She replied, "Are you alright?"

I nodded.

"Don't lie to me. Have you and Pierre had argument?"

"You already know the answer to both of those questions so do you really see a point in asking?"

She sighed, "I thought I'd give you the opportunity to answer me willingly instead of me beating it out of you,"

I glanced at her reflection before turning around and leaning against the sink.

"He started it," I huffed.

She laughed and shook her head, "Tell me what happened,"

"He told me who was responsible for this- whose idea it was- and then he said that I should give him an extra special thank you. Then I had a go at him, he had a go back and now we're annoyed at each other,"

A glance up at Mia told me that she was confused.

"I don't understand," She frowned.

I raised an eyebrow, "How can you not understand? We had a fight,"

"Yeah, I understand that part. What I don't get is why you would get angry at him for telling you who was responsible,"

"Well after what happened earlier this week, I highly doubt that an 'extra special thank you' is in order for Sebastien at any point,"

"Sebastien?"

"Yeah," I nodded slowly.

"No, see, now I'm confused again," She frowned.

"Why?"

"This wasn't Seb's idea, it was Pierre's,"

"Okay... Now I'm the one who's confused. Why would he tell me that it was Seb?"

"I don't know but I think you should talk to him,"

I nodded, "I will do,"

We wandered out of the room and back into the main bar.

"Can you tell him I need to talk to him, please?" I smiled.

She nodded and walked over to the table.

I watched her as she tapped Pierre's shoulder, whispered in his ear and pointed over to me.

I felt slightly angry when I saw him roll his eyes before he got up from the table.

We locked eyes when he stood in front of me.

"What's up?" He nodded.

"I was just talking to Mia,"

He folded his arms and looked at me expectantly.

"She told me this wasn't Seb's idea it was yours," I said, "And 'what's up' is that you lied to me,"

His eyes fell from mine to the floor.

"Why did you do it?"

"I thought it was a good idea at the time,"

"What?"

"After what happened earlier this week Sebastien's been really out of it and upset and you've been the same when you haven't been burying yourself in work. I thought maybe if you thought that he'd done something like this for you then you'd consider talking to him again,"

"Did you think that maybe I didn't want to talk to him?"

"You know as well as I do that you do,"

"Okay, so maybe I want to but that doesn't mean I can,"

He scoffed and shook his head, "I thought I was doing the right thing,"

"Well I guess you thought wrong. I really don't want to talk to Sebastien anymore; I thought that you understood that, Pierre! And no amount of tricks that you play will ever make me change my mind!"

"I guess that coming to the bathroom was a really bad idea," Another voice joined and my stomach twisted.

Damn it.

I looked up at Pierre and bit my lip. He squeezed his eyes shut and then stepped to his left before turning around.

"How much did you hear?" Pierre asked.

"Since 'I thought it was a good idea at the time'," Sebastien replied, "Anyways, I think I'm going to take off. Um... I hope you like the place and, Pierre, I'll see you tomorrow at nine... Rach..." He paused, "It was good seeing you I guess,"

I was about to call out to him when he walked off but I stopped myself.

I cursed under my breath and held my face in my hands.

Feeling Pierre's arms wrap around me, I know he'd forgiven me for our argument.

"I'm sorry," I spoke muffled words into his chest.

He squeezed me tight and planted a kiss on my head, "Me too,"

"I'm such an idiot,"

"Don't say that," He sighed with distaste.

"I really am though,"

"Granted but still, you shouldn't say it,"

I looked up to his playfully smirking face and smiled.

"Go after Sebastien, I don't want him to be upset. You should explain things," I suggested.

"He already knows what's going on, there's nothing to explain to him,"

"I feel guilty,"

"I know but he pretty much only overheard what you told him to his face on Monday,"

"Thanks for trying to make me feel better,"

"Is it working?"

"No but thanks for trying anyway,"

He laughed and pulled away slightly so he could look at me, "I'm sorry for ruining your night,"

"It wasn't your fault. Besides, it wasn't my night- you arranged all this,"

"Yeah but still-"

"No 'but still' anything. I do think we should call it a night though,"

He nodded, "I think so too,"

"Gosh, everyone's going to hate me,"

"Why- For calling it a night?"

"No, when they find out what I've done to Seb,"

"Well I'm not going to tell them and I doubt he will either so, unless you tell them, they won't be any the wiser,"

I smiled glumly, "I guess so,"

"I know this is probably a stupid question but by any chance are you going to the wedding tomorrow?"

"You're right," I looked up at him, "It is a stupid question,"

He nodded, "I'll try not to wake you tomorrow morning then,"

"I appreciate it," I replied.

I checked my watch- 10:30pm.

In about fifteen hours, Bethany Adams would become Bethany Lefebvre.

My whole body was racked with sadness and jealousy over it.

But I'd made my bed- And I was way too proud not to lie in it.

9am
Saturday November 29th 2008


Pierre did wake me up the next morning. No matter how much he lies about being as quiet as possible, it's all bullshit.

I do not call banging the kitchen cupboards quiet.

I do not call kicking the bath and screaming in pain quiet.

I do not call walking into my pissing bedroom, waking me up and asking me to tie his bloody bow-tie anywhere in the vicinity of quiet.

I wouldn't have minded but he wanted me to tie it when he wasn't wearing it so that he could just slip it over his head later on.

I could have physically murdered him when he did that but I restrained myself. Barely.

After all of Pierre's completely unnecessary noise, no matter how much I lay there with my eyes closed, I couldn't get back to sleep.

Reluctantly, I flipped back the covers and plodded downstairs, yawning relentlessly.

"I thought you were staying in bed," Pierre frowned at me as he zipped up his clothes bag and turned to face me.

"I thought you promised to try not to wake me up this morning," I mocked his tone spitefully.

"Oh did I wake you?"

Oh my God.

There is a possibility I will severely hurt this man before he even leaves the damn house.

But, being the good girl that I am, I chose not to argue, I just ignored him and continued into the kitchen.

My slippers slid along the floor and my ears had become partially blocked up by the time I had breakfast.

Pierre still hadn't left by then. He was supposed to be at Sebastien's house at nine.

It was now half past nine.

"Are you leaving any time soon?" I called through to him.

"I'm leaving now why?"

"Because you're already half an hour late,"

"Crap. Am I really?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Okay, I'm gonna go now then,"

"Good idea,"

He slid quickly into the kitchen.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?"

"Hmm..." I tapped my chin with fake thought, "Watch the man I love marry another girl while I sit at the back with a broken heart or sit here watching Friends re-runs and eating toast?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Sorry, but toast wins every time," I shrugged, "Maybe next time,"

"I don't know what time I'll be back but lock the doors and stuff if you go out,"

"I'll see you later. Have fun,"

"Will do. Have fun with your toast,"

"I intend to,"

He smiled and gave me a quick hug before he shot out of the front door.

I sighed and stared at the kitchen door he'd escaped through.

My eyes then fell on the toaster.

Eight years ago, I would never have thought that I'd pick toast over Sebastien.

But then again, I never would have thought I'd see him again.

Or fall in love with him...

12pm

After reluctantly getting changed and jumping down the stairs again, I heard the phone ring.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Rachel!" Pierre yelled at me.

"Ah! What?!" I jumped.

"We need your help,"

"If you've undone that damn bow-tie then you can redo it your God damn self!" I snapped.

"No, it's not that," He replied.

"What is it then?" I sighed.

"It's Sebastien,"

"What about him?" I huffed, falling onto the couch.

"He wants to talk to you,"

"Great, tell him to call me after the honeymoon,"

"No, you don't understand, he wants to talk to you now,"

"Well tough, he can't,"

"Fine then you can tell Beth why he didn't turn up at the wedding!"

I frowned, "What?"

"I said he wants to talk to you now,"

"What's that got to do with Beth?"

"He's refusing to get married until he speaks to you,"

"What the hell do you mean he's refusing to get married?!"

"I mean exactly that!"

"Tell him to stop being such an idiot and get his arse in the car,"

"I have done- scarily in pretty much those exact words- but he's not having any of it!" He replied, "He wants to speak to you,"

"This better not be another one of your stupid tricks to try to get me to talk to him," I accused.

"Oh yeah, do you really think I'd do that when he's due to be at the church in forty-five minutes?! I'm not that stupid- Beth would kick my freaking head in!"

I sighed, "True,"

"He needs you, Rach,"

I groaned inwardly, hating him for saying those words.

I also knew I wasn't mean enough to be responsible for selfishly ruining Beth's day.

I bit my lip and caved.

"I'll be there in five,"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate how much I love you, boy
I can't stand how much I need you
And I hate how much I love you boy
But I just can't let you go
And I hate that I love you so

Ne-Yo & Rihanna- Hate That I Love You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------