Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"Oh Well La-Di-Da Mr. Snotty"

"Are you ready yet Mia?! God, you take forever!" I complained as I stood by the front door, twirling my keys around my index finger.

"I'm coming! I'm just putting my shoes on!" She called back, her tone was irate from my consistent nagging for her to hurry up.

"I'm going to be late again and Ray will kill me!" I shouted up to her.

"For pity's sake Rachel, I'm bloody coming, untwist your knickers already!" She cried as she came down the stairs, "You're so easily wound up,"

"You'd be wound up too if I was taking ages to get ready when you were on the way to work and when your boss was ready to fire your arse if you were late again,"

"Well..." She paused, "That was a mouthful,"

"Not to mention the fact that the reason you've been late is because of your so called 'best-friend'. I'm late enough with the rent as it is, Ray docking my wages isn't exactly going to help,"

"Alright, alright, I get the picture, I'm ready! Calm down. And I'm not your 'so-called' best friend, I am your best friend," She corrected.

I took a deep breath and opened the front door, stepping out into the cool, night air. I heard Mia behind me as she locked the door and headed towards the car.

We were soon on our way and I pulled over to a house about ten minutes away from Mia's.

"Zach is in work tomorrow so I'll have to leave earlier, I'll meet you at the bar if you're still willing to take me home," Mia smiled innocently as she got out.

Zach being her boyfriend and the bar being mine and her workplace.

Unfortunately, she wasn't working tonight so she decided to make me late instead.

"That depends on whether you're going to be late for that as well," I replied with a smirk.

She took it as a 'yes' as it was intended before we exchanged goodbyes and she closed the door.

I sped off to work after that. It wasn't far from Zach's house, about a five minute drive or a ten minute walk.

I arrived at work barely on time.

I slipped in through the door and crept behind the bar after putting my stuff in the back as quietly as possible.

"Funny," A voice spoke behind me making me wince, "I was about to start a thirty second countdown before you arrived. I'm actually surprised you're on time today, I thought I was finally going to fire you this evening,"

"Well, I guess I'm unpredictable. I can be punctual sometimes,"

"It should be all the time really though shouldn't it?" Ray came into my peripheral vision.

"Yeah, but I'm usually only late when I have to take Mia somewhere," I defended.

"Mia's my most punctual worker!" He exclaimed.

"Only because I drop her off and make sure she's here, if it wasn't for me you would've fired her for being late months ago," I shot back.

"Well if you can make sure Mia's on time then why can't you make sure that you're on time?"

"I do try,"

"Well try harder," He replied casually.

I rolled my eyes, "I will," I sighed in defeat.

Wednesday's are slow enough anyway but I had a feeling that this one was going to be really bad.

_Sebastien's P.O.V_

"I do not believe you!" I yelled at the dark-haired beauty that was glaring fiercely at me.

"You don't believe me?! That's rich!" She chuckled gravely.

"Beth, for Christ's sake who fed you this crap?!"

"That's not the point! The point is that you were seen and there's photographic evidence!" She argued.

I laughed dryly, "I don't believe this," I rubbed my hands over my face before resting my arms on my legs as I gazed up at the woman I was intending to marry in a few months.

"You still haven't answered the question Sebastien! Are you, or are you not, having an affair?!"

"No! No I am not and I don't understand why the hell you would believe that from someone who is blatantly not right in the head!"

"But Sarah saw-"

"Sarah? Oh, I might've known! The girl hates me Beth and you know she does, she's been trying to split us up since the day we got together and apparently she's almost succeeded!"

"Well you've been accused of this before what was I supposed to think?!"

"All of the accusations of me cheating have all come from Sarah! You're supposed to trust me! For God's sake, we're getting married in a few months, do you really think I'd ask to spend the rest of my life with you if I was going to sleep around?!" I snapped.

"I-"

I cut her off and stood up from the bed.

"Or do you need to ask Sarah before you answer?"

I threw open the door and stomped down the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Beth sighed exasperatedly from the top of the stairs.

"Out," I stated simply as the front door slammed behind me.

_Rachel's P.O.V_

You'd think we wouldn't even bother opening on Wednesdays.

Since I got here two hours ago, I've served one person, yeah one.

What's the point in opening the bar for one person?

I really don't see one.

I was sitting on the floor, right now, behind the bar while Ray was off somewhere doing 'something important' as he said.

That usually meant he was upstairs drinking alcohol and watching TV or he was doing stock-check our in the back.

However, the former was more likely.

I drummed a random beat with my fingers against my legs.

This job was so ultimately boring when I had nothing to do. I mean, some jobs can allow you to finish your work and go home. In some you can finish work and there's more left to do. Some even let you finish work and you can sit off and do what you like.

But not this job, noo... This job is 'if there's no work after you've done it all, you can't go home, no more work will be given until a customer comes in and doing you own thing is completely out of the question'.

I hate this job.

_Sebastien's P.O.V_

Alcohol. That's what I need.

Lots and lots of alcohol.

And I'd have to get it somewhere Beth wouldn't find me.

And this place was perfect. It wasn't anywhere I knew, it wasn't near home and she wouldn't find me even if she tried.

I pushed open the door and looked around the deserted bar.

I couldn't even see any staff.

I frowned slightly and went over to the bar, sitting on a stool and resting my head on my palm.

The quiet was enough for me.

I took a deep breath and let it out.

How could Beth accuse me of something like that?

I love her for crying out loud.

I don't cheat- It's not my style and if she loved me as much as she said she does then she should know that.

I slowly sunk deeper into my thoughts, picturing what I was going to end up going home to.

As I rubbed my hands over my face, I saw a figure pop up from behind the bar.

I jumped out of my skin and let out a shriek, clutching my chest as my heart-rated rocketed.

"Fucking hell! What're you trying to do to me?!" I exclaimed.

_Rachel's P.O.V_

I stifled my laughter. I had to because this guy look stressed enough as it was.

"Sorry," I croaked, my hidden smile evident in my voice.

"What are you? A bloody Jack-In-The-Box?!"

A giggled escaped my lips and I covered it with a cough.

He started to breathe normally again.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Apart from heart failure, yeah I'm fine," He retorted.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. I thought you saw me,"

"Well obviously not, eh?" His eyebrows quirked at me.

"What can I get you then, sweetheart?" I asked as I dusted off the back of my pants.

"Double vodka," He spoke dully.

"Why dont you take a seat in a booth and I'll bring it over for you," I offered.

He nodded and plodded over to a booth, flopping down in it and shoving his face in his arms.

I looked over at him and felt really sorry him. He looked really upset.

I grabbed two beers from the fridge and headed over to him, taking a seat across from him.

I placed a beer in front of him and he swiftly grabbed it before gulping down half of the bottle.

Apparently he didn't care that I'd gotten him the wrong drink. He just wanted alcohol.

"Whoa, slow down tiger," I advised.

"Don't want to," He stated simply and sulkily, letting out a deep breath as he put the bottle back on the table.

"What's wrong?" My voice was cautious.

"I don't think that that's any of your business,"

Oh well La-Di-Da Mr. Snotty.

"Ah, I see, woman trouble then," I smiled mischievously.

He took another gulp of his drink and stayed silent.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking,"

His pale blue eyes gazed into mine, sending me the message that he didn't want to talk.

I rolled my eyes innocently.

"Listen..." I trailed off as I realised I didn't know his name.

"Sebastien," He answered my unasked question before taking another gulp of his drink.

"Listen Sebastien," I added, "Whatever you say in this bar, stays in this bar. It's just between you and me, I promise. If you need to talk to someone, I'm here. I'm not going to go around telling everyone about your personal life if you choose to tell me,"

He stared at me for a few seconds as if he were seeing if I was trustworthy.

"She accused me of cheating on her. Her best friend says she has photos of it,"

"Did you?"

"No!" He exclaimed with offence.

"Okay, okay, relax, I was only asking,"

"Well, her mate has to have either lied about the evidence, faked it or photo-shopped it 'cause I've never cheated on anyone; it's not something I would do. Besides, her friend hates me," He explained.

I nodded along, listening intently.

"And so she asked me about it and it blew into a full scale argument which resulted in me walking out,"

I winced. Ooh, bad move...

"What?" He frowned.

"Walking out wasn't the smartest plan,"

"Why not?"

"Because if she thinks you're cheating then she'll assume that you've gone to the other girl's house,"

"Ugh, I'm such an idiot," He slapped his head and began to drink again.

"And getting completely off your face isn't the best idea either," I advised and he pulled the drink from his lips. He flickered his vision from me to his drink before placing it on the table.

"Drunk's never say the right thing. Especially in situations like yours. Trust me,"

He nodded.

"So what are you going to do?" I enquired casually.

"I don't know. I should've just stayed and talked it out with her,"

"Well staying may have caused a break-up so walking out wasn't all bad, it's given you both a chance to cool off,"

"Yeah, I see what you mean, the amount of money I've already spent on this wedding is bad enough, losing it all now would be stupid,"

"You're getting married?" I smiled.

"Yeah, in a few months,"

"Aw, well congratulations,"

"Thanks,"

"If it helps, if I was your fiance and you did that to me I'd expect you to come back with a present and a damn good reason," I suggested, "An apology before, after and in between both of those things should be enough if you're in love,"

"A present? What type of shop would be open at this time?"

"An off-license. Get her some chocolates," I said as I got up and hurried over to the bar.

I searched through the fridges before I found what I was looking for.

"Take this with you," I ordered as I held out the bottle of champagne.

He got up from the booth and took it from my hands.

"How much?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it, it's on me," I smiled.

"Oh no, I can't take this, it comes out of your pay and it's really expensive," He denied, trying to put the bottle back into my hands.

"No, honestly, it's fine, my rent can wait," I mumbled.

"I can't take it,"

"Sebastien, it's okay, all in the name of love,"

"The name of love wants to pay you,"

"I'm not going to take the money! Listen to me, the champagne is just cheaper stuff that tastes exactly the same, so just take it. My wages have at least five times what that's worth,"

He gazed at me for a second.

"Now go on, you have a relationship to save," I ushered him towards the door.

"Thank you," He said gratefully, "I owe you one,"

He took my hand and kissed the back of it.

"You're welcome now go," I pushed him gently, "Go,"

He shot me a huge grin before heading out.

"Drive safe," I called after him.

I went over to the table and picked up the two beer bottles before taking them back to the bar.

Did I lie about the champagne price? Yes.

Did it cover almost half of my wages? Yes.

Was it worth it? Definitely.

Because for some reason, I couldnt stop smiling all night.

_Sebastien's P.O.V_

I closed the front door quietly behind me as I got home.

"Beth? Beth, where are you?" I called.

"In the living room," Her voice replied sweetly.

I hid the champagne and chocolates behind my back and headed to the door of the front room.

I leant against the frame and looked at her.

Her dark brown eyes gazed up at me.

"So, I spoke to Sarah," She began.

"And?"

"She doesn't have photo's, she lied and I'm really sorry,"

"Don't be, I over-reacted and you had every right to be upset over that whether it was a lie or not,"

"What do you have behind your back?" She frowned as she tried to see.

I stepped forwards and handed her the chocolates.

"And some champagne," I grinned as I placed the bottle on the table.

"To celebrate what?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, how beautiful you are, how much I love you,"

She smiled.

"I'm so sorry, Seb,"

I took her hand and sat down beside her.

"Hey, hey, it's not your fault, don't worry," I smiled, taking her cheek in my hand.

She wrapped her arms around me and I held her close.

"I love you so much," She whispered.

"I love you too,"

_Rachel's P.O.V_

"How was your romantic night with Zach?" I asked Mia as I grabbed my stuff from behind the bar.

"It was lovely, he was so sweet... God, the man is completely adorable," She cooed and sighed happily.

"Ooohhh, Mia's in lurveee," I teased.

"Not being funny, but I really think I am..."

A smile grew across my face, "Really?"

"Yeah," She reassured.

"Then tell him,"

"What? I can't tell him... God that's the stupidest idea you've ever come up with,"

I chuckled, "Why?"

"Because I might scare him off!"

I stared blankly at her, "Whatever. But, seriously, don't expect him to say it first,"

"And why won't he?"

"Um... I went through school with the boy,"

"So did I,"

"Yeah but I knew him better than you did, you know him better in a different way to me. I know the telltale signs and he won't say it first 'cause he's not that kind of person, he'll want you to say it first," I explained as we headed for the doors, "But if you want to wait for him to say it then you go for it,"

She eyed me suspiciously and I shot her an innocent grin.

"Rachel!" Ray called from behind me, "Before you go,"

I turned around and looked at him expectantly.

He held out a card for me.

"What's this?" I frowned curiously, eyeing the rectangular paper.

"It's the number for that job I was telling you about. I gave the guy your number and he said he'd give you a call, I gave you a good reference and everything so you should be in his good books," He smiled.

"Thanks Ray," I smiled gratefully, "This is great,"

"Don't mention it. Your job's still available for you here part time if you need it so all's well and good," He explained, "As long as you're not late,"

I laughed airily, "I won't be,"

"I'll hold you to that," He said, "Goodnight girls,"

"Night Ray," Mia and I chorused as we left and headed for my car.

As we got in the car and put on our seatbelts, Mia let out a sigh before she looked over at me.

"What?" I asked a smile playing on my lips.

"Telltale signs?" Her tone was questioning.

"Huh?"

"You said there's telltale signs with Zach, what are they?"

I laughed lightly, "Oh, Amelia, darling, you amuse me to no end,"

Her eyebrow rose, "Why?"

"What happened to 'I'm not gonna say anything'?"

"That has nothing to do with me wanting to see if he feels the same,"

"But will you not tell him if you spot all the signs?"

She avoided my gaze, "Maybe,"

"So there you go," I replied with a smirk.

"Oh go on, Ray-Ray,"

"Ugh, don't call me that," I grimaced.

"I'll keep calling you it if you don't tell me what they are,"

"Blackmail? Mia, I never expected such a thing from you," I spoke with a fake shocked tone.

I could feel her eyes on me as I continued to drive towards her house.

"What is wrong with you?" She asked, eyeing me over suspiciously.

I laughed slightly, "What are you talking about?"

"You're acting all weird,"

"What do you mean weird?"

"You're all... Smiley and happy and... And weird," She emphasised, "You're even... Oh my... You're glowing!"

"What do you mean 'glowing'?"

"Your skin, your face, you're all glowing and stuff,"

"I don't know whether to say thank you or not,"

"Oh. My. God!" She squealed excitedly.

I pulled over by her house and cocked an eyebrow.

"What?"

"You've met someone!"

I pulled my head back and looked at her strangely.

"No I haven't," I shook my head.

Her head bobbed profusely, "You have! Who is he? What's his name? Is he hot?"

"Um... No I haven't, he isn't anyone, he doesn't have a name and I wouldn't know,"

"So why are you happy?" She frowned.

"Christ, is it illegal for me to be in a good mood?"

"When you say there's no reason for it, yeah it is," She stuck out her tongue and I rolled my eyes.

"Get out of my car," I spoke sternly but playfully.

She chuckled, "Alright, alright, I'm going,"

"I'll see you tomorrow,"

"Why what's happening tomorrow?" She asked as she was about to close the door.

"Nothing, but we're bound to see each other because it always happens," I shrugged.

"Oh, right okay,"

"Sweet dreams,"

"Night love," She greeted as she closed the door.

When I was sure she was in safe I drove off to my house, arriving there in pretty much a minute.

I parked and locked my car then headed inside, locking up after myself.

I threw my bag and coat on top of a random, still unpacked box.

Heading into the front room was my next move where I saw the answering machine light blinking furiously.

You have two new messages. Message one:

"Hey Rach, it's Ste, mum's getting severely pissed off that you're not returning her calls so she's ask me to call you and make sure everything's okay. That means she's checking up on you via me. I would've thought she'd have noticed you're a grown-up by now but hey-ho, that's the way it is. Give her a call, yeah? It won't take long, see you,"

End of message. Message two:

"Hello, this is Shaun Kingston from the Golden Eagle here. A Mr. Raymond Jones gave me this number saying that you're looking for a job and you've had a glowing reference. If you're still interested could you give me a call, because I've heard good things. Thanks,"

End of message. No more messages.

Ste and 'Mr. Kingston' could wait, the former longer than the latter, I couldn't be bothered with family at the moment.
The second message reminded me of Mia's earlier words.

Was I really glowing due to Sebastien?

If I'm being honest, he did make me smile but I thought that was because I'd helped him (hopefully) save his relationship.

You know, the warm feeling you get from helping someone.

I must admit, Sebastien was cute but that couldn't have been enough for a 'glow', could it?

Whatever Mia was on about it certainly stirred up some thoughts in my head.

And considering the guy was getting married, they weren't very good ones.

It couldn't have been though, right?

But either way, it didn't really matter because I wasn't going to see this Sebastien guy again.

... Then again, if it wasn't, I wouldn't have spent the rest of the night and all of the next morning thinking about when his lips touched the back of my hand...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't give up, I won't give up on you
I've been loyal without having something to prove
I'm not a killer, I'm just killing your doubts
Don't you know that I'll be here forever
Even if you leave
And if you look for something better
Soon you'll see
That you're addicted to me

The Click Five- Addicted To Me
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------