Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"My Name Is Idiot, Nice To Meet You"

The next morning, I was woken up by blaring music from my phone as it rang.

I attempted to get up but failed, flopping back down again.

So instead of physically getting up, I flopped to the other side of the bed and grabbed my phone.

"What?" I grumbled, not caring who it was.

"Well aren't you cheery this morning?" Mia's chirpy voice echoed through the phone.

I groaned, "What do you want Mia?"

"I want you to get your lazy self out of that pit you call a bed and get dressed,"

"Why?"

"Because I said so,"

"But I'm sleepy," I whined childishly.

"Tough cookies sweet-cheeks. I'm coming to yours in an hour,"

"What? Why?" I whined, "Where are we going?"

"Shopping you idiot! It's Friday so that means we have to go shopping,"

"I'll go tomorrow," I replied dismissively.

"No, you will get up now and you will be ready, alright?"

"But, but-"

"Shut up. If you're asleep when I come and get you then there's gonna be murder," She said threateningly before hanging up.

I placed my phone back where it was and closed my eyes again.

"Okay, I'm gonna get up," I whispered to myself.

"After three," I spoke a few minutes later.

"One," I whispered as I began to fall asleep again.

I yawned, "Two,"

"Three," And I came up the slightest bit from the bed with a groan before collapsing back down.

"Ugh, I can't be arsed,"

I heard my phone vibrate and I reached over for it.

One New Message
From: Mia
Get the hell up right now!

I rolled my eyes and sighed, putting my phone back again.

It vibrated once again.

One New Message
From: Mia
I mean it Morgan!

I put it back. And then once again it went off.

One New Message
From: Mia
Rachel!

I growled and text back.

'Alright! For fucks sake! I'm up you incessant irritating woman you!'

One New Message
From: Mia
I knew I'd get you up. See you soon. X. x.

I glared at my phone and threw it on my bed.

I hauled myself out of bed and plodded lazily into the bathroom.

I ran a hand through my hair in an attempt to get rid of my extremely bad bed hair. I finished up in the bathroom ten minutes later and wandered into my room.

My eyes fell upon the small square of tissue paper on the bedside table which brought a small smile to my face.

It soon fell again.

Woo... Shopping...

_An Hour and A Half Later_

"Why are you so tired today? You weren't working last night and it's now half past twelve in the afternoon, wake the hell up," Mia shot at me as she placed something in the trolley.

"I didn't have the best nights sleep, my dream was really active and stuff. I feel like I've had no sleep at all," I sighed as I slumped over the handlebars.

"Ooh, nightmares hey?"

"No, just really vivid dreams, like, you know when you feel like you're actually half in control and half awake?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I know what you mean,"

She threw a few more things in and gestured for me to follow her.

Still slumped over the bar, I wheeled behind her, following her down the aisles.

"What did you dream about?" She questioned as she eyed the things on the shelves, "Was it Sebastien per chance?" She smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes, "Are we still on this?"

She chuckled, "I'm only asking, you did see him a lot yesterday,"

"Oh, about that, one- I hate you, two- you told him some personal things which I need to kill you for and three- I have the money for the champagne in my house,"

"Um, thanks, no I didn't so chill and keep it,"

"I can't keep it, it's your money,"

"I want you to have it,"

"But it's half your wages!" I hissed.

"You know what? I'm not arguing with you over this. It's my money to do what I like with and I'm giving it to you, so shut up and stop complaining!"

"But Mia!"

She started humming to herself to emphasise the fact that she was ignoring me.

I sighed and flopped over the handle bars of the trolley again.

I give up. I can't argue with her, it just doesn't work.

"Will you stand up properly?" She huffed at me.

My eyebrow raised, "Why?"

"Because you look ridiculous,"

"Sorry mum," I smirked.

"We need pasta, go get some," She ordered.

I chuckled, "Get it yourself!"

She shot me a glare and I sighed, gently pushing the trolley towards her.

"Fine," I spoke dejectedly, walking out of the aisle in search of pasta.

I quickly found the pasta aisle and headed down it, grabbing the first packet I saw before making my way back to Mia.

I handed her it and she looked at it in disgust.

"What?" I frowned.

"This is the wrong one," She stated.

"It's pasta! What does it matter?!" I growled.

"It's twisted pasta! I want straight pasta for making spaghetti bolognaise!"

"Why can't you make it with this? It tastes the same!"

"I want the straight stuff,"

"Well why didn't you say spaghetti then?!"

"Shut up!" She hissed.

I rolled my eyes and snatched the pasta back, "Fine, whatever, I'll get your damn straight pasta,"

I plodded down the aisles and went back into the pasta aisle.

I put the packet back and eyed up all the other types of pasta.

"My God, how many types of pasta do you want?" I shook my head as I looked at all the different types and sizes and shapes.

"This is ridiculous," I sighed and my face fell as I spotted the straight pasta, "Trust the one that Mia wants to be on the top bloody shelf,"

I looked at the pasta, towering above me.

"I am so not that tall," I stretched my arm up and failed to reach it.

I looked around me to see if anyone was there and when I found no one, I jumped to grab at the pasta. I missed.

I sighed irritably and eyed the bottom shelf.

I put my foot on it and pushed down to test its strength.

It wouldn't take my weight, I knew it wouldn't.

But, because I'm completely and utterly stupid, I stood on it anyway.

I wobbled slightly and reached up, stretching my arm and getting up on my tiptoes.

Why does this place have ridiculously high shelves?!

I am so going to complain!

In another attempt to get the spaghetti, when I was still balanced on the bottom shelf, I tried to be a ballerina and get on the very ends of my toes.

Now this was the epitome of unintelligent.

I wobbled as I grabbed at the packet, then went backwards as the shelf below me buckled.

I managed to land on my feet but I still stumbled backwards, failing to get my balance.

I squealed slightly and squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for my bum to hit the floor or my back to painfully hit the other shelf, sending packets of rice flying everywhere.

But, strangely, neither came.

Instead, I heard a 'whoa' and then felt two hands catch me, one on my wrist, tightly gripping me so I couldn't fall further and one on my back in support.

I slowly opened my clenched eyelids to find myself with two feet flat on the floor but my body leaning backwards.

"Are you okay?" A voice asked.

I sighed in relief and looked up at my knight in shining armour.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I'm just stupid," I smiled, "Thank you,"

"Don't mention it," He grinned back.

I stared at him for a minute, gazing into his brown eyes.

Suddenly, I realised I'd switched my brain off and so I quickly let go of his wrist which I'd grabbed in reflex.

This made me fall further so I grabbed his wrist again and he held me tighter.

"Okay, maybe I should stand up and then that'll stop me falling over like a complete idiot," I grinned and got up on my feet properly.

"Can I have my wrist back? You're kinda cutting off the blood flow," His eyebrows raised and he smiled slightly.

I looked down at my hands that were clutched on his wrist.

I released it automatically, "Yeah! Sure, sorry, I um... Yeah, I'm an idiot," I held up a thumb and grinned stupidly.

He chuckled, "You're not an idiot, it's called clumsiness,"

I laughed and straightened myself out.

"I know you," He stated slowly.

My eyebrow raised, "Do you now?"

"Yeah, I do, you're Rachel aren't you, Sebastien's friend from the bar?"

And suddenly, it clicked.

"Oh, I know you too!" I spoke excitedly, "You're um... You're David, right?"

"Um... No, I'm Pierre," He corrected.

"Oh, right! Sorry, I'm so bad with names," I apologised.

"Don't worry about it, it's nice to see you again,"

"You too. Thanks for the lift you gave me the other day, you really helped me out,"

"You're very welcome, you helped my friend so it's only fair that I help you,"

"Fancy helping me get some pasta? Apparently these shelves are for people that are nine foot tall," I said, pointing up to the spaghetti I wanted.

"Yeah, sure," He laughed slightly and walked over to the shelf, reaching up and getting a packet down. He made it look so easy.

"Here you go," He smiled, handing me what I wanted.

"Thank you," I took the spaghetti, "Trust Mia to put me through completely dangerous acts just to get some damn pasta,"

"Next time you should just ask someone who works here," Pierre half smiled.

I rolled my eyes in embarrassment, "That might be a better idea,"

He laughed at me.

"Yeah, so... My name is idiot; it's very nice to meet you, thank you for my pasta and my lift, tell Sebastien that I hope he has a very nice marriage and it lasts forever and ever," I grinned ridiculously widely.

He was trying not to laugh, "It's nice to meet you, idiot, and I'll tell Sebastien that,"

"Good," I nodded, "Then, I'll see you around, I hope you have a nice life too,"

His eyebrows raised as he continued to smile.

"So, I'm going to shut up and go away because I'm making absolutely no sense whatsoever,"

He laughed, "You're funny,"

"Thanks I guess,"

"You're welcome. I think that you'd get on really well with the rest of the guys," He stated randomly.

"There's more than three of you?"

"There's five, well six if you count Beth, but that all depends on whether they've started arguing or not yet,"

"Do they do it a lot?" I frowned.

"Pretty much every day," He admitted, "Those two days you helped him I've never seen him happier,"

"Well I guess my advice worked then," I smiled slightly.

"Ugh, I shouldn't really be telling you this because it's not my business," He sighed shamefully.

"Oh don't worry about it, your secret's safe with me," I said reassuringly.

"Thanks," He replied, "Hey, um... We're having a party thing for Sebastien and Beth tonight, to celebrate their engagement. It's about four months late like but everyone's been really busy lately so we've been arranging this for a few weeks,"

"Oh cool, I hope you have a good time,"

"Well, I was thinking that maybe you should come and celebrate it with us? I mean, you did help Sebastien and Beth even though Beth doesn't know it. I think he'd like it if you were there, you can be my guest if you like. You don't have to if you don't want to, and you could bring a friend if you'd feel a bit lonely but you're really welcome to come," He rambled, "So what do you think?"

I opened my mouth to reply but I was cut off.

"There you are!!" Mia's voice spoke loudly from the other end of the aisle, causing me to roll my eyes, "How long does it take you to get a packet of bloody spaghetti?! Christ, I've been round the whole place twice in the time it's taken you to get that one thing,"

"Ugh," I groaned, "Sorry," I apologised to Pierre.

He shrugged and smiled, "Don't worry about it,"

"Mia will you shut the hell up? We're in public, use your inside voice," I smirked patronisingly.

"I can't love, it's gone on holiday," She grinned back as she took the pasta from me, "Ah, I see your distraction," Her eyebrow raised as she looked over at Pierre, leaning on my shoulder with her elbow.

I shook my head at her, "Mia this is Pierre, Pierre this is, the very insane, Mia,"

"Aww, she's so flattering isn't she?" She said sarcastically.

"Very much so," Pierre replied with a small smile.

"It's nice to meet you," She greeted.

"You too," He spoke politely, "So Rachel, what do you say?"

"Um... I'm not sure, fancy going to a party tonight?" I asked Mia.

"Ooh I can't go tonight, Zach's invited me over, why? Who's having a party?"

"It's Sebastien and Beth's engagement party,"

"Ooh Sebastien, hey?" She teased.

I shot her a glare and smiled innocently at Pierre as he smirked for noticing the suggestive tone in Mia's voice.

"Shut up," I growled through gritted teeth, "Ignore her, she's had one too many cups of coffee," I whispered as if it were a secret.

He smiled knowingly, "Oh don't worry, I know what she means,"

"No, you don't really. Anyway, I'll come to the party tonight so I'll see you then," I smiled and shoved Mia to the side away from Pierre.

"Rachel?" He called after me.

I spun around and smiled, "Yeah?"

"I think it might help if you knew where it was..." He smirked.

I blushed slightly, "Maybe..." I walked back to him, "I think you've met my idiotic side before... Expect to see a lot more of it,"

He chuckled and I fished in my bag where I found a random small piece of paper and a pen.

"I think it's quite amusing so don't worry about it,"

I smiled and he wrote down the address on the paper.

"I've written my number on there too just in case you get lost," He added.

"Thanks, what time does it start?"

"About eight ish," He replied.

"Great, well, I'll see you then,"

He shook my hand, "See you then," He repeated, "Enjoy your pasta,"

I smiled and walked away back to Mia.

We walked back to our trolley and after a few seconds she began to speak.

"He was flirting with you," She stated.

I rolled my eyes, "Is every person in the whole God damn world flirting with me or something?"

"No I just thought I'd see how you reacted," She grinned, "It's comical to see your reactions,"

I shook my head, "Go shove your head up your bum,"

"I would do but I can't bend that way," She chuckled.

I flipped her off and we continued walking, "I hate you,"

"No," She denied, "You don't,"

"I wish I did,"

"That was hurtful,"

"Good,"

She laughed and we continued to shop.

Well, tonight is gonna be... Interesting...

_7.15pm_

After getting ready and finishing up my make-up, it was 7.15 and it was forty-five minutes until I had to be there.

Right now, I was sitting on the couch drinking a glass of water while Mia was talking to me on the phone.

"So how did your spaghetti bolognaise go down?" I asked as I yawned slightly.

"Great, Zach loved it, apparently it's his favourite,"

"Oh, cool, that's good isn't it? So where is he now?"

"He's setting up some stuff in the dining room that I'm not allowed to see yet. He told me to call you to keep my mind off it, he knows the curiosity will kill me,"

I laughed slightly, "He almost knows you as well as I do,"

"Almost," She agreed, "I really want to know what he's doing,"

"Stay where you are Mia, it's a surprise, you can't look yet,"

"Oh, but I just wanna-"

"No,"

"It won't hurt-"

"No,"

"Just one little peek-"

"No! Mia, keep your arse in that chair and don't move until Zach tells you to,"

"Ugh, you're such a killjoy,"

"You'll thank me one day," I chuckled.

"What are you wearing?" She questioned.

I laughed loudly, "You sound like you're on one of those chat-lines,"

She snorted with laughter, "So, you sexy thing, what are you wearing?" She spoke in a suggestive voice.

I was trying to stop myself keeling over in hysterics.

"Who're you talking to?" I heard Zach's voice in the background.

This made me laugh harder.

"My secret lover," Mia replied. I knew she was smirking at him.

"It's Rachel then isn't it?"

"Rachel... Secret Lover... Same thing,"

My stomach was hurting from laughing so much.

"Hey Rachy-baby!" Zach shouted.

"Tell him hey Wacky-Zachy," I replied to Mia, still laughing.

She did so but imitated my laughing as I'd actually laughed and said it.

"So yeah, I have to go Rach, call me tomorrow morning and let me know how tonight goes,"

"I will do," I replied, "Let me know how your night goes too,"

"I will, I'll speak to you later love,"

"Bye," I hung up the phone and pulled myself up from the couch, grabbing my keys and my bag before heading out of the door.

I locked up and got into my car, starting up the engine.

I think I know where this place is so I think I know where I'm going...

_Twenty Minutes Later_

Okay so maybe I don't know where I'm going.

I pulled over at the side of the road and got out my phone.

I dialled the number that was written on the small piece of paper.

"Hello?" A voice answered after four rings.

"Pierre?" I spoke cautiously.

"Yeah who's this?"

"It's Rachel, you know, the crazy pasta lady?"

I heard him laugh slightly, "Hey Rachel. Hang on a second, I'm just going to go outside where it's a bit quieter,"

"Okay," I replied.

There was silence for a minute or two before he spoke up again.

"Okay, I'm outside now, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine are you?"

"Yeah I'm good thanks, so what's up?"

"Well... I'm kind of lost..." I admitted.

"How lost?"

"Um... Very?" I spoke questionably.

"How long have you been driving for?"

"Twenty minutes,"

"When did you not recognise where you were?"

"Um... About eighteen minutes ago,"

He laughed slightly, "Do you know what street you're on?"

I eyed my surroundings and saw a street sign lit up by a street lamp.

"Ooh, yeah I see a street sign," I replied before telling him the name of the street.

"Christ Rachel, how did you end up there?"

"I have no idea to be honest,"

"Um... You're about a half an hour drive away from here now. I think this place must be a ten minute drive in the opposite direction you drove from where you left,"

"Ugh, crap,"

"Just stay where you are, I'll come get you and then you can follow behind me,"

"Oh no, I don't want you to go out of your way, I'll just find my way back home,"

"Don't worry about it, just stay where you are and I'll be there as quick as I can,"

"No! Pierre, I'll be fine, it doesn't matter, I'll find my way home, I'm not going to ruin your night,"

"I'm coming to get you whether you like it or not, don't move,"

And then he hung up just as I was about to protest.

I growled slightly.

_Half An Hour Later_

After deciding that I couldn't leave because Pierre had already left and it would've been a wasted journey for him, I'd suffered half an hour of boredom before a car pulled up beside mine and Pierre got out.

He walked around to the driver's side of the car and I wound down the window.

"I believe you ordered an escort?" He smiled.

"You didn't have to do that,"

"I wanted to,"

"Either way, it was still unnecessary,"

"Oh stop complaining, you can buy me a drink to make up for it,"

"I'll make it three,"

"One will do,"

"I'll make it three," I repeated.

"Why do you have to argue?" He laughed dryly.

"Because it's fun," I grinned which made him smile, "Lead the way,"

He shook his head at me with an unstoppable smile before walking back to his car.

I like making people smile, whether I have to be stupid to achieve it or not.

I tailed Pierre for another half an hour and soon we were at the place the party was.

I parked beside Pierre and got out of the car.

"Thank you, you didn't have to do that," I smiled genuinely.

He shrugged, "Don't mention it,"

We walked over to the door together and he stayed behind me so I could go in first.

"Oh, after you... People are going to look at me and think 'who the hell is this freakish person?',"

"No-one's going to think that," He shook his head, "We'll go in together, yeah?"

"Um... Okay?"

"Hey, don't be so scared, everyone's nice, I promise,"

"If you're wrong I'm gonna have to hurt you," I threatened.

He smirked, "That a threat or a promise?" He joked but then his face fell, "Sorry... I don't know you well enough to make jokes like that,"

I burst out laughing, "Don't worry about it, use whatever jokes you feel like on me,"

He pulled open the door and we walked in together.

Nobody, except a handful of people, looked up. And those who did, didn't really care.

I felt slightly uncomfortable but it was hot so the blush on my cheeks wasn't conspicuous.

"You okay?" Pierre asked.

I nodded, "Yeah, just a bit self-conscious,"

"Relax, you'll be fine," He patted my back reassuringly.

I smiled at him and he led me over to a table where three other boys were sitting.

"Where did you go, France or something?" The one that I recognised as David spoke up.

"It wasn't my fault," Pierre defended.

"Then who's was it?" A bald guy asked.

"Yeah, that would be mine," I raised my hand up and all of their eyes landed on me, "Um... Hi?"

"Rachel," Pierre began, "This is David, Chuck and Jeff. Guys, this is Rachel," He introduced.

I smiled sheepishly, "Nice to meet you,"

They all greeted me in their own way.

Pierre sat down and I moved to stand by him, feeling uncomfortable.

"Sit down," Pierre nudged me with a teasing smile.

"You don't mind if I sit with you do you?" I asked everyone.

They all shook their heads, "No of course not,"

I grinned and took a seat by Pierre, "Thanks," I murmured.

I carefully put my bag in my lap and sat back in my chair.

The lads began to chat as I sat, eyeing the room and listening to the conversation sometimes.

"Here's the happy couple!" Chuck (I think it was him anyway) grinned.

I turned my head and saw Sebastien walking over to the table with a dark haired, very pretty girl.

His head tilted when his eyes landed on me and he sent me a confused look and a smile.

I smiled slightly back and nodded at him.

Let the fun begin...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because there ain't no party
Like a party going on in my house
Better believe that it's gonna be the biggest night of the year
Because there ain't no party
Like the party going on in my house
But it would be so much better if you were only here

Orson- Ain't No Party
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------