With Stars in Their Eyes

LIES UNRAVELED

I snuck out of my dorm early and went straight to the towers. In my haste, I nearly got caught by some Slytherin prefects, but I was fast on my feet and tiptoed away just in time.

When I reached the towers, I felt breathless… from the running or the situation itself, I wasn't sure. I paced back and forth, the brisk night air chilling the sweat on the back of my neck.

What did Fred want from me?

I wasn't given much of a chance to question myself further, as I heard footsteps grow increasingly loud until I saw the beautiful ginger boy step out of the shadows.

His arms reached forward, and I cringed back. I was almost expecting him to reach out and strike me.

"Sophie?" Fred mumbled. My name came out twisted in confusion as his eyes searched my own. "What's wrong?"

What's wrong? Everything was wrong. Everything had been wrong ever since that one night, the worst night of my existence. It wasn't just the break up, but it was the fact that Fred opened my eyes to all the horror within my own home. Now that I saw it, I just couldn't turn a blind eye.

He broke my heart. He called my family monsters, and he blamed me for his father's attack. Still, I only felt love for him. I only felt love and sorrow so great, my heavy heart nearly dropped and shattered into a million pieces.

"I'm sorry!" I burst out in a frantic sob, I was unable to stop the words or my tears. I looked up at him, into those warm brown eyes, and I felt the splinter in my heart stretch until it cracked right down the middle. "I'm sorry, Fred! You were right… Everything you said that night, it's all true. My family… they're not good people… they've done terrible things. I wish I could have stopped them, but I truly hadn't any idea about your father." I sucked in a ragged breath, trying to understand his face, but I saw only confusion in his pale features. "I'm not sure what you want from me, but I swear I'll do as you say and stay away from you. I understand it now. I'm just… one of them. I can't escape from them."

Fred's lips were pursed together in a tight line. He slowly extended his hand towards me, but I didn't flinch this time. My shoulders sagged and I felt too hollow to move, like the slightest breeze would knock me over. However, when I felt him place his hand on my neck, I couldn't help but melt into that touch.

"Sophie… what in the name of Merlin are you talking about?" Fred mumbled softly.

The tears slowed and my eyes widened. "That night at the Leaky Cauldron… You said you wanted me to stay away from you."

"I've been on lockdown at a safe house the entire holiday…" Fred frowned in confusion. "I wasn't even able to get an owl in or out, or else I would have — George." Fred's frown turned into a deep scowl as he spat out his best friend's name. "He went to bed early one night, said he was ill, and he must have snuck off to meet you."

"What?" I whispered, a flurry of emotions fluttering within me.

"He never really liked that I fancied you… he said I couldn't trust you." Fred admitted quietly, though his arms only held me tighter. "After our dad was attacked, I guess he just went off the deep end and tried to split us up."

"So you don't hate me?" I asked breathlessly.

Fred's face softened when he saw the fear in my eyes. In hopes to comfort me, he placed a gentle kiss on my nose and murmured into my ear, "Of course not, love. I can see what kind of person you are, and you're not like them. You're honest and caring, and believe it or not, you are brave."

A final tear escaped from my eye. "I missed you so much Fred." I whispered. "I felt like hell after I thought you said all of those things."

"Don't you worry," Fred smiled, "nothing has changed between us, and I'll make sure George doesn't talk to my girlfriend like that again."

"Girlfriend?" I repeated, a smile tracing my lips.

Fred nodded, "If you want."

My answer was in the form of a kiss.

I stretched my arms up around those broad shoulders of his and pulled him closer. Fred anxiously responded by wrapping his arms around my waist, holding me securely against his chest. Our lips met in a long awaited kiss.

And in that kiss, it became clear to me: Fred trusted me, and more importantly, he believed in me. He had such faith I was a good, decent person. I only hoped I would never let him down.
♠ ♠ ♠
Isn't George just oh-so sneaky xP
Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments<3