With Stars in Their Eyes

APOLOGIES AND ADVICE

It's funny how weeks can turn into seconds when you're with the right company. Before Fred, I felt as if I was just floating through life, no drive or purpose in sight. But after I grew closer to that beautiful ginger boy, I saw life through different eyes.

Who knew a sunrise could be so beautiful even if it was in the freezing cold at an unholy hour? And I never once truly appreciated the castle's magnificence until I was a hundred feet above it, soaring the sky on a broomstick with Fred.

But above all, I never saw myself as anyone more than just another boring, spoiled girl, who's greatest ambition in life was getting married to a wealthy pureblood man. Fred showed me I was better than that, I could be so much more than the skeletons in my family's closet.

We were stowed away in a secret room on the seventh floor of the castle. I never once came across it during my six years at Hogwarts, but then again, I didn't go venturing much farther than the dungeons before I met Fred.

It was a strange little room filled with plump red armchairs and a deep red sofa, scarlet tapestries hung on the walls, and a cozy fireplace near the back wall burned fragrant flames.

Fred and I sat on the squishy sofa in front of the fireplace. His arm draped around my shoulders as I laid my head against his chest. We quietly watched the flames dance around in the pit.

"So tell me again how you managed to find this buried treasure?" I murmured into the wool of his sweater. As I waited for his response, I toyed with the fringed letter F. "It's just a little too perfect."

"A friend," Fred replied, planting a sneaky kiss on my head before I could question him further. "Speaking of which, I do believe I owe it to George to head down to the library."

"You're going to study?" I asked with an amused smile.

"Not even if you paid me," Fred chuckled, "that's where all the poor little fifth years start going crazy about their OWLs and need to invest in our Skiving Snackboxes!"

I replied with a small laugh of my own. Together, we got up and headed towards the front wall. A door emerged from the stone, and I couldn't conceal my amazement at the curious little room.

"I love that," Fred said softly, stepping in front of me and capturing my hands. "That look on your face… like anything's possible."

"Anything seems possible when I'm with you," I admitted. "Sneaking past Umbridge, flying over the castle, and discovering hidden rooms. All pretty amazing."

Fred beamed, his eyes glowing from the small compliment I paid him. He swooped down and anxiously pressed his lips against my own. His hands tangled in my hair as his cinnamon kisses whispered words sweeter than any siren could.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning for Herbology, partner." Fred winked.

I stifled a giggle before leaving the warm room. We always had to leave separately in case someone was watching.

Once I was alone, I decided to finally go to the Owlery and send a letter to my brother. Niko seemed to be under the impression that just because it was February, I would be hit by the love bug and suddenly become desperate to elope with Caelum. At least that was what his many letters seemed to be saying.

It was surprisingly chilly out, so I dug around in my bag and wrapped a scarf around my neck. As I began to walk, I dove my hands deep into my pockets, silently wishing Fred was there to keep me warm.

Upon reaching the Owlery, I reluctantly realized why I never threw a tantrum about getting my own owl. The screeching sounds scratched against my ear drums, and I had to do a crazy dance to avoid getting owl poop on my shoes. As I jumped and twirled my way through the mess of owls, I was just happy I was alone so no one could see how ridiculous I must have looked.

"Hi Sophie."

Oh.

My cheeks burned red as I turned around to see the face of someone I loved, I just didn't love that particular face.

"Hello George," I replied as cheerfully as I could.

Even though George lied to my face, insulted me, and sent me spiraling into the worst depression of my life, I couldn't hate him. I could never hate someone who was so dear to Fred, who was a part of his very soul. Besides, I knew why George did what he did. I didn't like it, but I at least understood it.

"You're getting good at telling us apart," George smiled awkwardly, his hand going up to tousle his hair.

"Fred let me in on the secret on how to tell you two apart," I explained with a small shrug.

George raised a brow and asked, "Oh? And what's that?"

"Your mole," I answered.

With a twitch of the eye, George replied, "Uh, I don't see how that's helpful seeing as that's not an area I typically leave exposed for the public."

"The one on your neck…" I mumbled sheepishly.

"Oh, yeah. Forgot about that one."

I smiled uncomfortably before turning around to try and find a school owl I could borrow. As I moved around, I became increasingly conscious of George's eyes burning holes in my back. Only a short moment passed, but I couldn't take it much longer. I needed to ask him what he wanted because the awkwardness in the air was beginning to suffocate me.

"George," I said exactly as he piped up, "Sophie — "

We both bit our tongues and waited for the other to talk. I must have looked more set on remaining mute because George finally sighed heavily and looked at me with guilty eyes.

"I owe you an apology," He frowned deeply, "and maybe some chocolates and a formal letter, I'm not sure. I don't apologize too often."

A weak laugh escaped my lips.

"I know what I did wasn't right. Fred sure did give me an earful afterwards, but that's not why I'm here." George sighed, his shoulders slumping in embarrassment. "I'm here because I can see now that I was wrong about you. I was worried you were going to break his heart, but I can tell you're serious about him. Just looking at you two in Herbology, I see how much you care about him… and I already know how mad Fred is about you." George offered me a crooked smile. "I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry, and I trust you."

Despite the many years I spent trying to train myself to suppress my emotions, I felt like an uncontrollable sobbing sap. Tears welled in my eyes, and I gently wrapped my arms around George.

"Thank you. It means so much that you said that." I murmured before pulling back. "I promise I'll never hurt him, I couldn't."

George and I shared a smile before walking back to the castle together. I didn't even care if anyone saw. I felt so happy to be accepted by the one person Fred loved most in the world that I was willing to let anyone know.

Once we were inside, we went our separate ways and I walked through the dungeons with a smile on my face. A few people scowled at me as I passed, but what did I care? I said the password and entered the common room. As soon as I stepped through, I saw a familiar face sitting on the arm of a chair, staring at the portrait as if he was waiting for me.

"Sophia, just the girl I was looking for."

"Hello Theo," I murmured, afraid to meet his steely eyes. I felt like he caught me with my hand in the cookie jar.

Without any more pleasantries, he gently caught my wrist and dragged me into the boys dormitories. He led me into his vacant dorm before sealing it with a charm.

"Have you lost your mind?!" Theo blurt out once we were alone. I shriveled in my skin, afraid to say anything. "Sophie, I said that I didn't care if you were friends or whatever with the Weasley boy, but skipping down from the Owlery with him in broad daylight is just thickheaded! A bunch of second years were squealing about it in the common room just minutes before you came in!"

"I wasn't even with Fred!" I whined. "It was George."

Theo looked at me with bug eyes. "Do you think that'll make a difference to anyone? Especially Cassius?"

"What does Cassius have to do with this?" I grumbled bitterly.

Theo sighed heavily. "It's no secret that you're first in line to be betrothed to his brother. How do you think he'd take the news of his brother's supposed fiancé gallivanting around with a blood traitor?"

"I'll be more careful," I hissed. "Besides, I can handle Cassius."

"You don't know that!"

"Theo, I know we're friends, but why do you even care?" I asked in exasperation. This wasn't the first time he gave me a 'friendly' warning about Fred. "I'm not hurting anyone by being with Fred."

His eyes hardened into two grey stones. "Because I know what happens to blood traitors. I've seen them suffer the consequences." His words came out as a whip, lashing against my skin and making my bones quiver. "Nothing good comes from those that turn against their own blood… just look at what happened to my mother."

With a wave of his wand, the door flew open and a spell shoved me out.

His words rang in my ears like death bells. I didn't have time to apologize to him or to promise to be more careful. The door slammed, and I was left to sink in the grave of treachery I dug for myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for the comments :)
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Caelum? I mean, obviously he's no Fred but I'm just curious