With Stars in Their Eyes

CROSSING LINES

It was a normal Saturday afternoon. I just finished up some homework in the library and was heading to the Great Hall for lunch. However, I didn't even make it to the third floor before I was stopped by an increasingly familiar face.

"I know who you are." Wordlessly, I blinked several times at the tall Weasley boy. "You're Sophia Travers." He accused as if he was charging me with some terrible crime.

"And you're Fred, or maybe George, Weasley," I replied with a shrug. "Now that we've established that, I'll be on my way — "

"Wait!" He stood in front of me, blocking my path. Ignoring my impatient look, he continued, "You're Travers' sister."

"Niko's my brother, yes." I said unable to conceal my confusion. The previous day was the first and only time I ever spoke to any Weasley, and I assumed it would be the last. For one of the twins to seek me out and question me about my name and sibling was, well to say the least, unexpected. "And?"

"And your family is terrible! They're prejudice prats that — "

I shot him a dirty look and sharply replied, "If you've just come to insult me then — "

He cut me off, continuing, " — that don't care about anyone but themselves… but you stood up for Longbottom and I just can't — "

"Shhh!" I hissed. When I looked up, I saw a few passing students giving me a strange look. Given no other option since the Weasley was not going to shut his mouth anytime soon, I grabbed him by the sleeve and dragged him into an empty corner. "Are you trying to get me shunned from my house?"

"I wish George were here to see this," He chuckled lightly, running a hand through his fiery hair. "A Slytherin does something nice — first time in Hogwart's history — and then she denies it."

"What do you want?" I finally sighed.

It took me years to be accepted, no matter how reluctantly, by my peers. Even then, I was considered weird due to my close friendship with a halfblood Ravenclaw and my odd obsession with Herbology. To be seen conversing with the infamous Fred Weasley would destroy my already barely passable reputation. I was crossing all sorts of lines by talking to him, but for some unknown reason, I couldn't make myself walk away.

"I just want to figure you out." Fred said, all playfulness vanishing from his face. "This is my last year at Hogwarts, and I've never run across a Slytherin like you. Never even met someone clever enough to ruin one of my pranks for that matter… maybe it wasn't good enough."

"No, it was clever," I honestly replied, "Just not properly executed."

"Whoa. I think my ears need cleaning." Fred mumbled as he patted the side of his head a few times. "Was that a compliment from a snake? On one of my pranks nonetheless!?"

His words caused me to frown at myself for letting the truth slip so easily from my lips. When I looked up at Fred, he was still staring at me with confusion and wonder clear on his face. The raw emotion, not even a little concealed, took me off guard. I was so used to having to hide my emotions because feelings were frivolous, according to my mother, that seeing them before me touched some part of my hardened heart.

"We're not all humorless prudes, you know." I told him quietly, peeking up to see his reaction.

Fred's lips twitched into a smile, causing a spark to ignite deep inside of my chest. "I thought that was one of the conditions to getting into Slytherin." He explained teasingly. "Forgetting to smile and to look like you've got a stick shoved up your arse all the time."

"Well a few of them do have that down," I agreed, a giggle bubbling in my throat.

"Sophia!"

My head snapped up, reality hitting me hard like a stunning spell. Two of my dorm mates were standing a few feet away, curious smirks on their faces as they looked between Fred and I.

"We're going to lunch. Want to come with?" The ringleader, Adelaide, asked.

"Yeah, sure." I responded sheepishly.

I hurried to join them. They shot Fred a dirty look before walking off. Without saying goodbye to him, I followed after them. Though the entire walk down, I only caught bits and pieces of the latest gossip between the two girls. My mind was elsewhere.
♠ ♠ ♠
this song fits this story, in my opinion. and its the girl from the banner singing actually!
anyway, comment if you'd like, i always love feedback!