With Stars in Their Eyes

CINNAMON SWEETS

Fred Weasley was a troublemaker. He was a mischievous prankster that made sport of pranking and tormenting students in my very own house. He was the enemy. After reading his note, I should have crumpled it up and set it on fire.

I should have, but I didn't.

Throughout the entire day, the small note weighed down in my pocket like a brick. During class, I would reach into my pocket and feel the creases and edges of the parchment while trying to decide what to do. Meet him or not? The answer should have been an easy no. I should have laughed in his face like just another wicked Slytherin girl and told him to piss off.

I should have, but I couldn't.

Fred Weasley was everything I was brought up to despise… and maybe that was why I was drawn to him. The laughter and cheerfulness was something completely foreign to me, but I wanted to know more of it. I wanted to be a part of the mystery behind those secret smiles and playful brown eyes of his.

It was what I wanted, but it was impossible.

The hour crept later and later until I left for bed. I slipped out of my clothes and carefully hid the note in a jewelry box at the bottom of my trunk. Any fantasy about Fred Weasley that I was clutching onto should be buried and forgotten. I repeated that to myself as I got into bed and stared silently up at the ceiling.

Though I tried to sleep, I couldn't. Instead, I tossed and turned and looked at my watch every three minutes. The closer the hands came to eleven, the harder my heart started to pound.

It was nearly eleven when I finally decided I had to go. For some unknown reason, I wouldn't be able to get even a wink of sleep if I didn't meet Fred in the towers. I quickly wiggled out of my covers and pulled on fresh clothes. The others in my dorm were sleeping soundly, so I moved as sneakily as possible as I picked up my coat and wrapped a scarf around my neck. After tucking my wand in my pocket, I tiptoed out of the room.

As I stealthily proceeded along my way to the highest part of the castle, a naughty grin was stuck on my face. Despite it being my sixth year at Hogwarts, I had never once snuck out of the common room past curfew. The feeling was, well, exhilarating. Breaking rules shouldn't feel so wickedly delightful, but I was overjoyed and drunk on adrenaline.

When I finally made it to the Astronomy Tower, I saw a tall shadow in the balcony. It leaned against the stone while silently staring up at the glittering sky.

My heart pounded deep inside of my chest, causing each of my bones to vibrate and tingle my skin. I stayed in the darkness, chewing on my lower lip. Was it too late to turn around and go back? I contemplated it, but before I realized what I was doing, I moved forward.

In a voice that seemed not to be my own, I murmured softly, "Hi."

With stars in his eyes, he smiled at me a smile brighter than the crescent moon.

"Hi."

His short greeting was enough to encourage me to wander over to stand by his side. My eyes scanned the snowy grounds while my mind scrambled to find something, anything to say. Before I could think of something halfway intelligent, Fred chuckled.

"What?" I wondered aloud.

He shrugged, eyes bright with amusement, "I'm just surprised you're actually here. I didn't think you would come."

"That makes two of us," I admitted.

"Why did you come?" Fred questioned curiously.

I looked down, hiding the growing redness of my cheeks. "I'm not sure."

"Well I know," Fred replied with a sideways smile. I raised my brows, wordlessly questioning him. "Because you like me."

The cheekiness and certainty of his words made me blush even brighter. I opened my mouth to protest even though he was completely accurate, however, he continued to say, "And for some unfathomable reason, I like you, too."

It was Fred's turn to fall silent as he glanced at me from the corner of his eyes. I wasn't sure what kind of expression was on my face, but his words caused a flurry of feelings to stir within my chest. When I found the nerve to look at him again, his eyes were bright and begging for a response.

"Why?" I finally asked.

I racked my brain for an answer to my own question, but for the life of me, I couldn't find one. I was not a good person, and while I loved my family, they were even worse. If Fred knew even one of my family's darkest secrets, he would spit in my face if not try to run his wand through my chest first.

Fred didn't answer me with words. Instead, he offered a smile warm enough to make my heart melt. He then dug into his pockets until he pulled out a deep red flask with a strange silver lid.

"Don't worry, it's just firewhiskey." Fred assured me after evaluating the look on my face. After all, I didn't have such a good track record with him and suspicious containers. "Do you want some?"

I never once before had firewhiskey. Drinking was a frowned upon activity for well behaved pureblood ladies, but I was already breaking all of the rules tonight. What harm could one more do?

Fred handed me the flask, and I turned it over in my hands; the metal was cool like the winter air around us. I unscrewed the lid and raised the flask to my lips. The firewhiskey burned as it slid down my throat, but I welcomed the warmth. It clouded my brain, but in the most wonderful of ways.

After a few more swigs, I handed it back to Fred.

"Easy now," He murmured with a smirk, "I can't be carrying you all the way back down to the dungeons."

Despite his words, he also took a long drink of firewhiskey.

Silently, the two of us looked down on the grounds while sharing sips of firewhiskey. The liquid burned my throat and set ablaze my entire body. Even through my hazy mind, I was very aware of how close Fred was to me. I felt like I was on fire, every atom of my being more alive than they ever had been before… and it was all because of one ginger haired boy.

Lost in thought, I barely noticed Fred's hand inching towards my cheek. His fingertips brushed a strand of my gold hair behind my ear, and for a split second, I saw a perfect snowflake resting on the tip of his thumb.

Fred didn't move. His hand was resting against my face, his thumb brushing against my cheek. I stared back at him, falling deeper into his chocolate brown eyes. Our gaze said more than any words we whispered could because in that moment, I was no longer Sophia Travers, daughter to an elitist pureblood man affiliated with Death Eaters, nor was he Fred Weasley, son to a Muggle-loving blood traitor.

His hands pulled me closer, and I didn't resist. I stood motionlessly while watching him bend down until his face was only inches away. His warm breath fanned across my face and sent shivers down my spine. My eyes drifted closed as Fred pressed lips against my own, carefully and cautiously testing my reaction. His kiss was like sneaking a cinnamon sweet before dinner, sinfully sugary and even better knowing it was forbidden.

All too soon, he pulled away leaving me desperately craving more.

My eagerness must have been plastered all over my face because Fred was grinning wider than the Cheshire cat in the sky. Normally, I would have at least tried to act dignified and maintain my composure, but his kiss knocked down all of my walls leaving nothing but the real me, the feisty and excitable Sophia Travers that'd been repressed and hidden away.

All too eagerly, I stood on my toes while wrapping my arms around his neck. Fred squeezed me against his chest, his body pressing against my own. Our lips met again, but this kiss was different. The uncertainty was replaced with feverish passion, and I let myself savor every moment of his sweet kisses.

Only when we began to grow desperate for oxygen was when we broke away. Fred placed a final kiss against my lips, so softly and sweetly. Our foreheads came together as we worked to even our ragged breathing. Despite the chilly December air, every inch of my skin was on fire. I was lightheaded because of the firewhiskey, but I was completely intoxicated because of his kisses.

"I knew you liked me," He teased quietly.

And just like that, I felt trapped. His arms around me felt like heavy chains, and I felt liked I'd been captured by the enemy. In a way, I had been.

It was no longer a secret I could pretend to deny. I fancied Fred more than I ever imagined I would, and with that realization came all of the danger. I wasn't prepared to face the harsh reality my feelings for a blood traitor would bring forth. My family would disown me, my house would shun me, and my brother… Niko would never forgive me.

When I looked back at Fred, his eyes so wide with innocence and excitement, I felt fear and guilt hit my heart.

"I should go," I murmured.

Fred frowned, "You don't have to."

"I can't stay," I reminded him lightly. "We'll talk in the morning."

Before Fred could reply, I kissed his cheek and quickly dashed out of the towers. Maybe things would make more sense with my feet firmly planted on the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one took a bit longer to get out :/ Anyway, comment and subscribe if you're enjoying the story so far :)