With Stars in Their Eyes

ANSWERED QUESTIONS

I should have been in the Great Hall eating breakfast with my dorm mates. As if to remind me, my stomach growled in hunger as it scratched away at my insides. Trying to ignore my starving stomach, I dug the quill deeper into the parchment until it tore in half. With a sigh, I crumpled up the paper and added it to the collection of wadded up balls already on my bed.

There I was in my room forcing myself to write half hearted break up letters to a boy I was growing increasingly fond of when I really just wanted to eat a blueberry muffin.

Quill in hand, I tried to start again, but none of the words I put down seemed right. No goodbye would ever be fitting because I didn't want to make him go away, just the opposite actually.

The memory of his kiss, so sweet and exciting and unlike any other kiss I had before, made me feel like I was swimming in a pool of euphoria. The thought of losing that feeling, driving it out of my life the second I got a taste… well, it was maddening.

I glanced down at my paper and saw words I didn't remember writing:

Fred,
Last night was fun. I'd like to see you again. Tonight?
- Sophie


There was so much danger in those few simple sentences, but for the first time ever, I didn't care. I was willing to go to any lengths just to see that cheeky smile of his. Maybe I should have been worried, but I decided I wasn't. I was disobeying the rules, and I loved every naughty moment of it.

I slipped the note into my pocket before gathering my things to go to class. I had Transfiguration with Ravenclaw first, and then Herbology with Gryffindor. The idea of seeing Fred again made me feel far too eager. I only hoped no one else noticed my newfound giddiness.

All throughout class, I tapped my toe against the floor and stared as the hands on my watch slowly clawed their way to the next hour. My friend, Maggie, saved me twice from answering questions I didn't bother to listen to.

At last, the hour was up and I was sprinting to the snowy grounds. During my haste, I ran into a group of Slytherins that were also heading down to the greenhouses.

"Travers, what's the rush? It's just Herbology!" snickered Cassius Warrington.

He was a year ahead of me with a wicked smile, greasy hair, and a sick sense of delight by tormenting anyone he considered to be his lesser. It was no wonder that he was a favorite target of Fred and George's.

"Oh," I mumbled breathlessly, "I told Professor Sprout I would help her water the, er, Fluxweed." I continued my way past them, trying my best to ignore Cassius and his friends snicker behind me.

When I arrived, I planned to charm the note to stick to the underside of Fred's desk, but it turned out that I didn't need to. There already was one half of the fiery duo sitting at his desk, and I'd bet a bag of Galleons that it wasn't George.

Our eyes met and he smiled at me as my face burned brighter than the sun. It was so easy to forget about everything when I was in Fred's presence. I didn't snap out of my trance until I heard the faint chatter of other students coming into the room. Quickly, I rushed over and slid my note across the desk for him to have, my fingers brushing against his own.

When I returned to my seat on the other side of the room, a satisfied smile settled onto my lips. Who knew sneaking around and breaking rules could be so fun?

Image

"So wait… you've never had a pet? Ever? Not even an owl?" In response to Fred's question, I just shrugged my shoulders. "Huh. I guess I'm so used to having some kind of creature running around my house, I just figured everyone does, too."

"Well, we have an owl, but only my parents use him." I explained with a sigh. "I've always wanted a pet, but my mother can't stand the idea. She says it'd be too smelly and dirty."

It was past midnight, and I was still in the towers with Fred. He charmed a blanket to keep warm, and together we cuddled beneath it while talking and enjoying the brisk winter air. It was strange for me to think that I barely knew Fred, but I couldn't remember ever feeling more at ease with someone.

"Remind me to never invite her over to my house." Fred chuckled grimly. "My family has had just about every pet imaginable from owls to puffskeins… we even had a human posing as a rat for twelve years."

I blinked. "What?"

"Long story," Fred sighed before pulling me closer into his arms. "If you could have a pet, what kind would you want?"

"A cat." I said matter-of-factly. "I'd like a big white cat with bright eyes and a fluffy tail."

"Maybe we can go to Magical Menagerie over the holidays and look at cats." Fred suggested with an amused smile. "I'm sure my mum wouldn't mind having another animal running around. It'd keep the mice at bay and… what's so funny?"

"I never told anyone that, and the second I do, you're ready to buy one." I giggled.

Fred flashed me a mischievous grin, "It's a selfish plan, really, because having a cat you're crazy about will make you want to visit me more often."

"You don't need a cat for that," I told him softly.

With a nod of his head, he answered, "I suppose that's true. You wouldn't be out here in the cold if you didn't fancy me."

"You never did give me an answer to that," I murmured sheepishly. "We've been out here since curfew talking about pets and pranks, but you haven't told me what I want to know most."

"And what's that?"

"Why do you like me?" I asked, straight to the point. "I mean, I'm not special. I'm in the only house you can't stand, and the people that are supposed to be my friends are your usual targets. You're funny and exciting, and I'm quiet and boring. I just can't understand—"

My little rant was cut short by a pair of soft lips.

When Fred pulled back, he only smiled. "You aren't like anyone I've met before, Slytherin or not. I think there's more to you than even you realize, and that's why I like you."

My lips formed a straight line as I considered his words. Never before did I think of myself as a complicated person with hidden strengths just waiting to break free. I was just shy, awkward, and floating by in life. And then there was Fred, a free spirit with big dreams. He was brave and good, and he was so hoping I was, too.

With everything I had, I prayed I wouldn't let him down.

"Well, I think you're crazy," I finally mumbled playfully.

"That could be it, too." Fred smiled through a yawn.

I kissed his cheek and asked, "Should we call it a night?"

"Nah, I'm not tired." Fred said, but another deceiving yawn followed his words.

I smirked, "We have tomorrow night."

"Ah, very well." Fred grinned. "It's a date."

Image

Sleepy but satisfied, I returned to my dorm. My roommates were asleep, so I tiptoed around as I shed my clothes and put on a nightgown. I was ready to crash into a world of dreams, but before I could, I noticed a rolled up piece of parchment was waiting on my bed.

"Lumos," I murmured as I flicked my wand, creating a dim light.

I unrolled the paper and saw the familiar handwriting of my brother.

Sophia,
I'm back from my trip to France. I'll be in Hogsmeade tomorrow afternoon on dad's behalf. Care to meet for lunch?
- Nikolai


I wasn't sure why, but Niko's letter sent chills down my spine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, so I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has commented and subscribed! I know it's been awhile since I last updated, but I'm working on getting chapters out a bit faster, and I appreciate everyone that's still hanging on!

Also, I am quite honored that this story was featured as Fan Fiction of the Week in the Mibba magazine. If you're interested, you can check it out here.

Anyway, keep commenting and subscribing! <3