With Stars in Their Eyes

BIG BROTHER

The following day, I found myself sitting alone in the Three Broomsticks waiting for my brother. His vague note left me quivering in fear Fred and I had been discovered. My dad rarely ever visited Hogsmeade, so I couldn't imagine what kind of business he'd be doing there. As I chewed on the ends of my nails, I tried my hardest not to flinch every time that creaky door swung open.

I loved my big brother; in fact, we used to be rather close before he graduated from Hogwarts, but that didn't change the fact that he was an intimidating man.

Standing at an unusually tall height with a menacing smile, Niko could make just about anyone shake in their shoes. He had a knack for manipulation and intimidation, and given his pure blood, he was a choice recruit for the Death Eaters. My parents put up a small fight when he told them his plans to receive the Dark Mark, but Niko wanted to follow in our deranged uncle's footsteps.

If anyone were ever to find out about my relationship with Fred, Niko would be the first to strike him down.

I was lost in thoughts about my brother's merciless wrath when a deep voice greeted me.

"Sophia," He smiled pleasantly down at me, "it's good to see you."

His arms extended toward me, and I immediately stood up to return my brother's hug. The embrace was friendly, but I couldn't help but picture a python snaking its arms around me until I couldn't breathe. It certainly would be easy enough for him to squeeze the life out of me, if he so ever desired.

"Hello Niko," I replied politely. "You look well. Had a good time in France, I hope?"

"The best," Niko grinned with a secret dancing behind his lips. As we took our seats, he snapped his fingers at the bartender and said, "Two firewhiskies over here!" With a flick of his wand, a few Galleons floated over to the counter and the bartender begrudgingly took them.

My eyes widened at surprise by his order. I had recently found a new fancy in firewhiskey, but my brother certainly did not know that.

Having spotted the surprise in my eyes, Niko smirked at me and explained, "We're celebrating."

"Oh?" I questioned lightly, my brow raising.

"I know it's early, but our parents have found you a potential match." Niko beamed as if he had given me the best news and not what felt like a death sentence.

Dread crept into my heart and panic clawed up from my throat. "What?" I squeaked out. Having realized any other response besides satisfaction would not be acceptable, I adjusted my tone and tried to calm myself. "I, I mean why now? I'm only sixteen, after all."

It was sort of an unwritten rule for arranged marriages to occur between those of pure blood. It was a dying tradition, but my family's line was ancient and stuck in the ways of the old world. Besides, how else would they be able to assure that our lineage stayed pure and free of contamination? Still, most arranged marriages didn't happen until the woman was in her early twenties, or at the very least not until she was finished with Hogwarts and of age; I was neither.

Niko frowned deeply, "I thought you would have been pleased." Of course he would have thought that. A man in my family was able to pick and choose his future, but a woman like myself had to have it carefully planned and prepared while she sat silently in the corner. "The man they have been talking to is well suited for you, sister. I can even vouch for him myself since we spent a few years in Hogwarts together. Actually, I think his younger brother is just a year ahead of you."

Oh no.

"You know Cassius Warrington, don't you?"

I lost my voice as my brain was far too preoccupied trying to wrap around the idea of being forced to marry into a boy like Cassius Warrington's family.

"Sophia!"

"Yes, I do know Cassius." I answered quietly. "I wasn't aware that he had a brother."

"He does," Niko confirmed. "His name is Caelum. He was a few years ahead of me at Hogwarts, but we were friends. We've spent a lot more time together now that I've been out. He's a good man, Sophia, a good match. In fact, he was the one that first talked to our parents."

"How very sweet," I mumbled sarcastically.

The three simple words dipped in acidic sarcasm were not meant to pass my lips, but they had and I immediately regretted them. I had never spoken to my brother that way.

Niko's brows furrowed as he shot me an irritated look, "What's wrong with you, Sophia? This is good news. Caelum comes from a respected family, he has a stable job, and he's only twenty-three. Our parents could have easily picked someone cruel and twice your age, but I convinced them that Caelum was the best choice. You should be happy. You should be grateful."

His voice was tinged with anger and growing resentment as his steely blue eyes bore into mine. It took everything I had to force a convincible smile onto my face, one filled with insincere gratitude and cheer.

"Niko, I am very pleased. I'm just worried, you see, because I haven't met him yet myself." I explained with something at least halfway believable. "After all, you know me."

After considering my words and accepting them, Niko's smile settled back onto his face. "Yes, but you have nothing to worry about. Nothing is set in stone, and even if it were, our parents and Caelum agreed to postpone the wedding until after your graduation." Niko told me. "You will be meeting over the holiday."

"That's great," I said, forcing happiness into my voice.

Niko nodded contently, "I'm glad you are happy. I was so certain you would be. I even convinced our parents to let me be the one to share the good news with you first."

I smiled politely in response.

The rest of our time together was spent with my brother chatting about France, our parents, and a bit more about Caelum Warrington. However, the hours grew later and our cups became dry. We eventually said our goodbyes until holiday began, which was only a few days away.

Once my brother was out of sight, it was then that I was able to unravel. The angry tears clouded my vision as I sulked my way back up to the castle.

Marriage. I couldn't believe my parents were trying to trap me already. In futile efforts to cheer myself up, I thought about how it was still a year and a half away. A lot can happen in even a year, I thought, and I shouldn't be so worried.

It didn't help.

When I reached the castle, I spotted a group of Gryffindors throwing snowballs at each other in the courtyard. I never would have spotted Fred if I hadn't watched someone smack his hat off, revealing his bright red hair. Immediately, I hurried over to the tall ginger boy.

Without thoroughly considering my actions, I whispered to him, "Tonight." And with that, I turned on my heel, ignoring the stares from Fred and his group of Gryffindor friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I really have a strong love/hate relationship with Niko. Anyone else?

Thanks for your comments!