Status: complete.

Cold Breath

duodecim

“If you think I’m just going to lie here and be complacent, you have anything coming.” Briar hid behind the door leading to Caia’s room. Caia was currently arguing with Jervan about being forcefully bedridden.

“I don’t see why you’re complaining it’s not like you wanted to play tourist anyways.” Briar swallowed her laughter, imagining Jervan with a satisfied smirk on his face.

“I can be useful in other capacities, not chained to a bed.” The clanging of chains knocking together reached Briar’s ears as Caia shifted. Briar bit her lip to stop from laughing. Caia was so unwilling to get rest that Jervan chained her to her bed with chains that could withstand her musical talents.

“The only way you’ll be useful is if you get rest. Is it that hard to rest for one day?” Jervan’s question was met with silence.

“Yes.” Caia replied but there was no bite in her tone. She just wanted the last laugh.

“To bad.” Jervan chuckled and started towards the door. Briar quickly shifted her eyes from side to side, looking for a place to duck out. Originally she went looking for Jervan to ask the whereabouts of a library in Centrum Mundi. The tint to her hands was moving and it seemed that her chill was worsening.

Briar ducked into a closet, hoping that Jervan would walk away and she could follow him. “I’m glad you found our conversation amusing,” Briar didn’t move as her heart beat sped up. She just got caught. Maybe she shouldn’t have been eavesdropping. “I know your there. You’re not in trouble just come on out.” Slowly Briar creeps out. Jervan wore a slightly shock looked on his face. “Oh the wrong Emerson. I must be losing my touch.”

Briar crinkled her face. “What do you mean?”

“You and your brother have similar spirits around you. I just didn’t think you would be the one to listen in on a private conversation.” Briar’s cheeks reddened. In spite of Briar’s confusion and embarrassment, Jervan chuckled. He turned away, heading towards the kitchen.

Briar quickly followed on heels. “Wait, I wanted to ask you a question.” Jervan didn’t stop as he continued forward.

“You don’t have to ask to ask a question, just ask.” He waved Briar forward as he entered the kitchen, but she hesitated as she noticed the boy’s standing around. Tate was leaning against the sink eating a steaming hot muffin. Thaddeus and Dash were staring at him as if he was crazy.

“That just came out of the oven.” Thaddeus stared at the steam, and shook his head in disbelief. Any normal person would be crying out in pain and agony with burn marks on their hands.

“Your point?” Tate opened the oven and reached bare handedly into it retrieving the tray of muffins. The metal was still red hot.

“I think Thaddeus isn’t used to the idea that’s all.” Dash smiled, patting Thaddeus’s back.

“Tate since you were so kind enough to take out the muffins, take Caia her breakfast and if she needs anything you get it for her.” Tate hesitated for a second then nodded his head without argument.

“How is she taking bed rest?” Dash smiled, knowing that Caia hated being stuck in one place for too long. He moved to help Tate prepare a breakfast plate for Caia.

“You know…stubborn and difficult.” Jervan dug through the cabinet returning with a jar with a greenish tar inside it he placed it on the tray. Dash handed it over to Tate. “Here rub this in her bruises.” Tate took it and disappeared down the hallway. He was oddly quiet. He gave Briar a small smile. Briar still felt like he was trying to distance himself from her, but maybe it was a good thing.

“She’ll be fine, right?” Worry laced Thaddeus’s voice. He may seem clueless and obvious at times but he still cared deeply about people.

“Yes. She’s strong.” Jervan reassured Thaddeus. Briar stayed on the fringe until Thaddeus finely left saying he was going to see if he could find the Phoenix Spring supposedly located on the outskirts of Centrum Mundi. Dash left the kitchen suddenly saying he needed to check something outside. “Briar, you don’t have to be shy.”

Slowly she walked in. “I’m not shy…just timid. I get intimidated easily by tall people.” Jervan smiled softly. He had a pot of hot wax on the stove and slowly dipping a wick in and out. He already had two candles made.

“Let’s make it easy. Let’s just say you’re complicated.” He handed Briar a wick. “If you’re just going to stand there, help me make some candles.” Briar hesitantly followed his lead. For a time they just repeatedly dipped the wicks. Briar wanted to broach the topic of the library again but was hesitant. She didn't want to draw to much attention to her desire to find out what was happening to her. However the silence was unbearing.

"Why are you making candles?" Briar set her candle to the side when it looked similar to the other completed ones and grabbed another wick.

"I'm sure you know I’m a medium. Just like your dowel, I need to have something to channel my concentration or I could end up causing more problems than solutions. Plus Adelita was asking for some. I find it relaxing...so here we are."

They continued dipping and the silence came again. It was less awkward but not comfortable. "Briar you need to learn to speak up." Jervan sighed putting down his wick, making eye contact. "The library is within the Conclave's walls. Ask Dash and he will take you. I need to make sure Caia doesn't find a way out."

"Thanks." Briar went to set down her candle but Jervan stopped her.

"Take it. It may come in handy." Briar nodded, pocketing it. She didn't think a candle would come in that helpful.

Image

The library was beyond huge. Books were divided into sections. Element, species, languages, anything under the sun was in the library. At first Briar was scared to follow Dash but he encouraged her that everything was fine. He saw Briar trembling and placed Bean's in her hands. It helped calm her and got her through the gates of the Conclave.

Dash promised he would be back in a few hours. He had to talk to his father about something. It took Briar an hour just to find the section she was looking for. She didn't want to ask because she didn't want to answer any questions.

Enchantments and spells. The section was huge and was clearly labelled. She was able to narrow it down. After skimming two books, putting back seven books she couldn't even read, she stumbled upon a worn torn up book. It was readable, but barely. There was a nagging feeling in her head that told her she shouldn't be able to read the book.

After reading a couple of chapters, Briar found what she was looking for. Now she wished she didn't. The passage was vague but it made Briar pale.

If not treated the coldness would physically change the host’s body. Their blood would run cold, the skin would become pale and blue and cold to the touch, and heat would make them sick if they were in it too long. The transformation would only take a few days and the pain would consume them, but they would survive. The only treatment was to take out the source, the caster. The side effects were unknown.
"Briar." Dash whispered. Briar jumped throwing up her book and knocking over the stack sitting next to her. Beans jumped to. He was sleeping on one of the stacks she knocked over and growled slightly. "Sorry."

"It’s fine." Briar smiled weakly up at Dash.

Dash glanced at the books. "Found what you need?" Briar nodded. "You okay? You look a little pale."
"No I'm fine really." Briar stood and gathered Bean's into her gloved hands. She started to restack the books.

"Don't worry about those. The librarian will get them. I want you to meet someone."

Dash gently led Briar out of the library and through the maze like building. Everybody they passed acknowledged Dash and her. Briar didn't like all the attention but Dash assured her it was fine. The more people gave them attention the closer Briar got to Dash. He was a big guy but made her feel safe.

"Dad this is Briar Emerson." Dash moved to the side and Briar's eyes widened. It was one of the members of the Conclave Council. He was like a carbon copy of Dash except his hair was starting to Gray.

"You must be the girl my Dash is smitten with." Briar's cheeks reddened, giving her a more normal skin tone. This wasn't the way she planned to spend her day, especially since she needed to research more.