Status: complete.

Cold Breath

quatuordecim

Conclave Member Wyatt Roan was just as intimidating as Dash if not more. He had a commanding air about him as he should, being a part of the council was stressful and time consuming. He held a knowing smile on his face as he had a silent conversation with Dash. He rose from his chair and walked around his large desk.

“My son was telling me about your involvement in the mission. It’s unusually that the Theurgian Guild would send someone of your caliber, a borderline class three. It seems like they are taking unnecessary risks with your life,” Wyatt said off handedly. Briar didn’t know whether or not she was being insulted or if that was how Wyatt spoke.

“Father.” It was a stern warning from Dash. Briar jumped slightly. It was odd seeing Dash being aggressive. Amusement twinkled in Wyatt’s eyes; he could see why Dash was found of Briar. It was someone he could protect.

“I meant no offence. I was just making an observation. That guild has been known for being careless.” Wyatt anticipated Dash’s reaction. “But let’s not talk about that. You two already have enough stress to deal with.” Wyatt casually leaned against his desk. Briar shifted uneasily, feeling awkward.

“I hear you have a thing for butterflies. They’re graceful creatures. I myself don’t have the ability to talk to animals.” Wyatt smiled fondly at Dash. “Just like his mother. He got his earthen skills from me.” Wyatt looked wistfully away.

Briar glanced at Dash; he had his eyes downcast with reddened cheeks. He had on hand hiding his face. A small smile graced her lips for a millisecond and then was gone. “You have a lovely smile. I’m sure Dash and I would love to see it more often.”

“Dad!” Briar felt all the blood rush to her face. She had no idea what to say, how to respond. What she really wanted to do was hide. Wyatt chuckled, moving from the desk. Briar followed him with her eyes. Her embarrassment dropped as Wyatt patted Dash on the back. Dash was as red as a tomato, but he still smiled at his father. Dash shot a glance at Briar, but reddened even more once he noticed she was watching him.

Dash pulled away from his father. “We’ll be in town for at least a few days; I’ll try to stop by.” Dash gestured to Briar. With hesitation Briar followed Dash towards the door.

“Briar it’s been a pleasure.” Wyatt advanced forward and took her hand into his. “Don’t be a stranger. I hope to see you again. Dash hasn’t brought home any girls. I’m glad.” Wyatt leaned down and kissed the back of her hand. “I always fancied me a grandpa before I die.” Briar chocked.

“Okay. Bye dad.” Dash quickly ushered a stunned Briar away from his dad and out the door. Briar glanced back in a daze. Wyatt just smiled, but it was no ordinary smile. It was a smile of pride, pride over his son.

“Dash is your dad lonely?” Briar stuttered out. Dash held her wrist pulling her out of the Conclave building. Paused and chuckled.

He hesitated. He looked uneasy. “He grew up with a large family. He always wanted a one too, but my mother became barren and could no longer have children.” He shrugged his shoulders. “So he’s hoping for many grandchildren.” Pink dusted his cheeks and continued to pull Briar back to the entrance.

Briar’s eyes widened. She was in over her head, underqualified as a team member, jumpy by nature, and now the apple of two men’s eyes each for a different reason. It was enough to scare a girl into hiding and never look back.

Image

Briar found herself in a cave. It was cold and damp. The light was dim and shadows lurked in every corner. Icicles hung from the ceiling. Frost glittered everywhere. Snow was in thick layer on the ground. Large boulders lay scattered around the cave.

"When leaves have fallen, and skies turned to grey.”

Briar twirled around, her heart jumping in her throat. The chilling cold slowly seeping into her bones, causing her nerves to coil tighter. She spun in a circle looking for the source of the voice.

“The night keeps closing in on the day.” A cloaked figure walked out of the shadows. Briar jumped back trying to distance herself. The figure slowly circled around Briar, keeping her in the center of the room.

“A nightingale sings his song of farewell.” The figure drew closer. Briar found she couldn’t move. The chill was running through her blood, keeping her still. The figure was a pace away when it lifted its arm. The hand touched Briar’s cheek. It shocked her; it was warm.

“You better hide for her freezing hell." The voice took on a feminine tone. The hand caressed Briar’s cheek. Briar tried to move away. She was confused nothing made sense.

“Who are you?” Briar questioned. She shook with fear, trying her hardest to move from the hand.

“Someone that can help. The cold, the chill. It’s not going to go away. Embrace it and the pain will stop. It will be fine.” The figure leaned forward and kissed Briar’s forehead. “The cold will love you, like no other. It will keep your heart safe. Just let the cold in.” The figure asked almost in a pleading tone.

“No!” Briar shook her head. “NO!” She screamed.


She jolted awake. She looked around all beady eyed. She was back at the Conclave going through their books again. The dream was terrifying. Briar let out a moan of pain as the cold made her bones ache. The chill was getting worse. Briar pulled her hands up to her face, they were completely blue. Not a harsh blue, but a pale blue. She ran her hands through her hair. The others were going to notice.

Briar retrieved her dowel and waves a simple circle and square pattern. Slowly the air weaved around Briar’s skin changing the hue and value. Briar could feel the stain of keeping the illusion up. After a couple of minutes of extreme focus, Briar felt the permeant change. Hope flared in her chest, but then suddenly stopped. The blue was slowly creeping back. A permeant solution wasn’t going to work. The stain of an illusion was going to have to do.

Briar was convinced there was more to her blue chill. The figure in the dream knew more but it wanted more than she could offer. Another wave of pain rippled through her, as the cold claimed her body. She leaned forward and swallowed a sob. Between the stain of the illusion and the cold, she couldn’t keep it in any more.

“Miss are you alright?” A tall thin woman leaned over the desk, putting her hand on Briar’s back. Briar jumped. She tried to move from her gasp; she was afraid that the lady would feel the cold emitting from her.

“I’m fine, just fine.” Briar sat up.

“I heard you sobbing, something must be wrong.” The lady put her hands up as if to stop a startled deer from fleeing. Briar took a few deep breaths.

“Nothing you need to worry about. It’s my problem.” Briar started moving the books into stacks. It was late.

“Miss stop that’s my job. But if you’re looking for something specific I can help. Anything you need I can help. You can even talk to me about anything. It gets lonely done here and it seems like you need some help.” The lady extended her finger in a gesture to follow her. “Judging from what you have there in front of you. I think I can find something that may help.” Briar bit her lip; her nerves were a jumble, but this lady seemed helpful enough.