Status: complete.

Cold Breath

quindecim

"I can't believe she pulled this off." Caia paced back and forth in the alleyway she and Tate had ducked into after she hustled him out of the Athenaeum. She had been pacing and rambling ever since. "I always knew she was devious, but this is pure evil genius. The Archivist has access to more information than anyone. And only members of the Conclave even know there's an Archivist. Even their families don't know; technically my father never should have told me. Archivists can come and go whenever they please, anywhere they please. And they're ghosts to the rest of the world; to anyone outside the Conclave they're nobody significant. Oh, Yalara, you are smart."

"Nothing you're saying is making sense," Tate said. "Back up a minute. Who is this Yalara, and why would she want to act as a Conduit and help summon a second demon?"

"Her parents were mages too," Caia explained. "They experimented too much with darker magic and went batshit crazy. Yalara was placed into the care of my parents, as a foster child. She was eight when I was born. I think she hated having no Innate magic when I did. The point is, she's deranged. She's completely obsessed with power. It all makes sense." Caia let out a noise of frustration and kicked a rock at her feet. "The Conclave will never believe me. Jervan will never believe me. We're completely screwed."

"Caia." Tate grabbed her shoulders and forced her to stop her frantic pacing. "Just talk to Jervan. He might listen to you."

"Tate you don't get it. Yalara is a golden child, and I'm-" She paused, smiling without mirth. "I'm not," she finished.

"Jervan obviously respects you if he asked you to join this team."

"He doesn't respect me. He respects my powers," Caia said bitterly. "That's the only reason he tracked me down."

"Why can't you just accept the fact that there are people who care about you?"

Caia glared at him, cold silver meeting steady gold. "Caring about me doesn't do me or anyone else any good," she said finally. Tate opened his mouth to reply, but Caia's attention was over his shoulder, where Briar was stumbling out of the library.

"Tate." Caia nodded her head in Briar's direction and Tate went rigid when he saw his little sister. He set off across the street and Caia followed. Briar was staggering, and as they drew near Caia saw frost forming on her lips and her skin was faintly blue.

"Briar!" Tate wrapped an arm around her, looking alarmed. "What's wrong?"

Caia didn't listen to her answer. Shadows with gleaming red eyes were swirling into being around them, and a cold chill swept through the air. Hex appeared at Caia's side, hissing and growling. The sky darkened and snowflakes began to fall. Caia shed her coat and uncoiled the whip hanging at her waist. "We need to get back to Jervan's," she said. "Now."

Tate led a shivering Briar down the street, Caia leading the way. The snow began falling faster and thicker. Caia sensed the shadows following them. There was a scraping noise against the ground.

"Duck!" Caia shouted. Tate pulled Briar down just as several blue-skinned, white-haired figures emerged from the swirling white. Their fingers elongated into razor sharp icicles. They pounced, trying to claw Briar away from Tate. He amped up his heat power, and the ice minions drew back slightly, gnashing their teeth. They were human once; human and fae. Now they were infected with the cold. This had to be the work of the ice demon and Yalara. Caia unfurled her whip. Not only did the sharpened metal slice through the frozen flesh of the nearest minion, Caia amplified the sound waves of the snap, causing them to expand and knock the other minions back ten feet.

"Get up," she urged, helping Tate lift Briar onto her feet. "We have to get inside Jervan's wards." The three of them pressed on through the swirling snow, until finally Jervan's house came into sight. The ice minions attacked again, leaping on Briar and Tate. The shadows moved to surround Caia. She began to sing as she spun through the cold, swinging her whip. The song had no words, but the notes were clear and haunting, dragging shadows and ice creatures apart. Tate melted others, gripping them by the heads and forcing heat into them. One snuck up behind him and dug its icy claws into his shoulder. He cringed in pain and Caia sent a burst of song at the thing, blasting its body apart.

Briar had collapsed in the snow, shaking her head over and over again. It looked like she was arguing with someone. Caia saw Knox, Thaddeus, Dash and Jervan running down the path to the edge of Jervan's yard.

A shadow rose from the ground, wrapping its ghostly hands around Briar's throat. It yanked her onto her back while an ice minion leapt on top of her, trying to breathe ice into her lungs. Caia leaped, slamming into the ice minion and tumbling over the frozen ground. Icy claws raked down her back, tearing her shirt. "Tate!" Caia said, amplifying her voice to be heard over the howling wind. "Get her inside the wards!"

Tate grabbed his sister, racing towards the house with steam rising from his body. Dash leapt forward to meet him, pulling Briar into his arms and the safety of the wards. Caia shattered the ice minion and climbed to her feet, darting toward the others. The wind and snow picked up, rendering them invisible. The cold bit at Caia's skin, feeling sharp as a blade. She couldn't see the others so she raised her hearing, trying to pick out their voices. She was starting to think she was lost to the blizzard forever when suddenly warm arms wrapped around her, lifting her feet off the ground and carrying her across the wards. The storm slowed, then stopped altogether, leaving the world coated in white. Tate set Caia back on the ground and even though she knew she had to pull away, she found it very difficult to do. They barely had time to exchange bewildered looks with one another before several members of the High Council arrived in Jervan's front yard.

"Is everyone all right?" Councilman Terion stepped forward, his brow creased with worry and his centaur tail swishing nervously. Behind him stood two more members. Caia narrowed her eyes. Councilman Addox was there. He noticed her too, and his lip curled. "Caia Trudeaux," he said. "I never expected to see you in the capital again."

"I'm full of surprises."

Dash's father arrived then, his eyes full of concern. "Dash, what happened?" He stopped short and stared at Caia too. Then he reached out and pulled her into a spine-crushing hug that took her completely by surprise. "Dear girl, where have you been all these years?"

"Around," Caia gasped, disentangling herself from his tree trunk arms before she suffocated.

"What happened?" Councilman Addox interrupted, shooting Wyatt a look of annoyance.

"Isn't it obvious?" Caia asked flippantly. "Your little demon friend knows we're here."

"What's wrong with the girl?" Addox took a step towards Briar, and Dash pulled her closer to his chest and Tate moved to block Addox's path. "She's sick," he said stiffly. "I think the demon must have something to do with it."

"Well you've made a fine mess of things, haven't you, Jervan?" Addox sneered.

"We wouldn't be in this mess if you kept better tabs on your employees," Caia retorted. "Or your supposedly dead demons."

"What are you muttering about?" Addox demanded.

"Balaal is your Summoner." There was a collective gasp from everyone assembled. Even those not in the Conclave would likely have heard of Balaal.

"That's preposterous," Addox snapped. "He's dead."

"Like hell he is."

"And what would a spoiled delinquent like you know of it?"

"More than you. Although, you're rather familiar with him too, aren't you Councilman?"

Addox's eyes narrowed and color rose in his cheeks. "Shut your mouth, insolent bitch. You know nothing of Conclave matters and you have no right to stand here and make accusations."

"I have every right!" Caia shouted. "My parents are dead because of you! You knew that my father knew you recruited the mage who summoned Balaal the first time. That's why you assigned him to the case when things got out of hand. You threw Anderson Pake to the wolves and let the emissaries clean up your mess."

"This child is obviously unstable. She has no idea what she's talking about. Seeing her parents' bodies clearly addled her brain."

Caia sprang forward, her palm connecting with the Councilman's cheek. She felt Jervan grab her from behind. "Caia!" he hissed.

"You son of a bitch!" Caia screamed at Addox, struggling to get free. "I heard them screaming from across town! I listened to them die! I know exactly what he did to them, what you did to them! You didn't protect them, and you won't protect anyone now. Balaal is going to rip through this city and destroy everything and the blood will be on your hands for being so damn arrogant. You're cowards!"

"What do you mean, you heard them across town?" Councilwoman Zenobia hadn't spoken once since she arrived, but now the elf was watching Caia shrewdly.

"I'm a Syrienne," Caia said through gritted teeth, still trying to wrench free of Jervan's grip. She wanted to hit Addox some more. Addox, Terion, Zenobia, and Wyatt all collectively drew back, and Caia got a kick out of the shocked look on Addox's face.

"Jedrek never informed anyone of this," Terion said. Zenobia looked thoughtful.

"Why should he tell you anything?" Caia snarled. "You didn't protect him. You didn't protect his family."

"He knew the risks," Addox snapped. "He could have refused the assignment."

"He would never sit idly by while innocent people were murdered. Or not so innocent," she added, regarding Addox. "The demon would have eventually come for you too."

Addox's eye twitched. Caia finally twisted loose from Jervan's arms and faced him. "Why didn't you tell me Yalara was made the new Archivist?" she demanded. Jervan looked confused. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"She's the Conduit."

Addox laughed. "You see? The woman is unhinged. First she accuses a member of the High Council of recruiting a Summoner and now she accuses one of the most distinguished members of the Conclave of being a Conduit for a demon. A demon who is dead, might I add."

"He is not dead, you stupid sack of troll shit," Caia said. She snapped her fingers and whatever Addox was going to say next was muted. His eyes nearly bugged out of his head and Caia could tell he was trying to yell but no one could hear anything he was saying. She smiled. "That's better. Yalara is your Conduit," she said to the other Council members. "It's fucking brilliant. She knows how pompous and self-assured the Conclave is. You would never admit to being duped, and you'd never admit that you're wrong."

"Now see here, young lady, that's no way to speak to-"

"I'll speak to you however I please." Caia cut Terion off, and he sputtered indignantly. "Balaal is here," she continued, "he spoke to me last night. I know his voice. He's wandering the streets in the guise of a human because he's siphoning human energy from Yalara and she's gaining demonic traits from him."

"You must understand that it's difficult for us to take what you're saying seriously," Terion said, stamping his hooves in agitation.

"Yeah," Caia said. "But you fucked up in the past, and people died."

Terion blew out his breath in a huff. "The Council has far more pressing matters to deal with right now than the outlandish accusations made by a traumatized young girl," he said and Caia bristled at his dismissive tone. "I'm deeply sorry for your loss, Miss Trudeaux, but you have no concrete evidence of any of this." He turned to Dash. "We must take the girl back to the Conclave for examination." He gestured to Briar. Dash stepped back and Tate crossed his arms while Briar cringed and pressed herself closer to Dash. "Send someone to examine her here," Tate said. Terion sighed. "Suit yourselves," he grumbled. "A healer and some mages will be here shortly. Miss Trudeaux, if you would kindly restore Councilman Addox's voice?"

"He'll get it back once you're back to the Conclave." Caia grinned wickedly as Addox went scarlet in the face and started flailing his fists at her.

"Councilman, show a bit of decorum," Zenobia scolded. Terion grabbed the irate mage and tugged him away up the street, Zenobia pausing to give Caia a last penetrating stare before she followed them.

"Useless bastards," Caia burst out when they were gone. She was shaking with fury, even though she had known they wouldn't listen to her. Jervan tried to lay a hand on her shoulder but she pulled away. "Caia, I know this seems hopeless, but-"

"But nothing!" Caia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "You don't understand, Jervan. Balaal is going to kill me."

"You're safe within the wards."

"I can't be in the wards all the time. And it doesn't matter anyway. He'll get through them eventually, because I'm here."

"What are you talking about?"

"We need to get Briar inside," Caia said, ushering Dash towards the house. Wyatt had remained when the Council members left and he and Tate were both watching Briar with worried eyes. Caia felt a pang. She had forgotten what it was like to have people care about you that much. She followed the others into the house, where Adelita and Alan were waiting with anxious faces and mugs of steaming hot chocolate.

"What's wrong with Briar?" Adelita asked as Dash laid her gently on the couch nearest the fire. Thaddeus made the flames grow higher and Tate knelt beside the couch, keeping his hands on her shoulders to send warmth into her. Knox hovered behind the couch, wringing all of his hands.

"I know who the Conduit is, and I know who the Summoner is," Caia said, her eyes glued to the fire so she wouldn't have to look at anyone. "The Conclave doesn't believe me, and they never will until it's too late. The Summoner killed my parents, and a lot of other people nine years ago. He was still in the house when I found my parents. He didn't kill me, but he took..." she trailed off and drew a shaky breath. "He took part of my soul," she said, the words like sand in her throat. "Balaal is a master of shadows, but he also devours souls. That's what he did to my parents. I did some research when you refused to contact my father for me." Her gaze flicked briefly to Jervan. "He took a small piece of my soul, and now he has my scent, my taste. He's drawn to me now."

She finally pulled her eyes away from the dancing flames to take in the horrified stares of the others. "Do you see now, why I say it's better for me to be alone?" Caia asked. "This final showdown with Balaal is going to kill me. He will have my soul, there's no way to stop that. The most I can hope for is to go down fighting. Maybe be enough of a diversion for the rest of you to kill him, for real this time."

"Caia, why didn't you tell me?" Jervan looked so profoundly sad that it made her heart twist. Caia looked away. "What could you have done? Besides, everyone said he was dead and at first I believed them. I figured it didn't matter."

"Caia I can't let you die!" Jervan exclaimed. "I promised your father I'd look out for you and I've done a terrible job."

"Yeah, well. I've done a terrible job of being his daughter," Caia muttered. "I can at least make my death mean something even if my life didn't." She waved Jervan off when he started to protest. "I'm not saying that to feel sorry for myself," she said. "It's the truth and you know it as well as I do. I have to do this, Jervan. We have to stop Balaal and Yalara. Even if he is working with her, his desire to get the rest of my soul will distract him. We just need to make a plan."

There was a commotion at the door. The healers and mages had arrived. "Mage boy, come help me research," Caia said to Alan. He rose and followed her as she went to Jervan's study. Tate caught up to her in the hallway. He stepped in front of her. "There has to be a way to defeat Balaal that doesn't involve you dying," he said.

"There's not. Tate, go to your sister. Take care of her. Like you said, you're all she has."

"Caia-"

"This is how it has to be." Caia stared him in the eye, forcing down the lump in her throat and keeping her voice hard. She moved past him and into the study, shutting the door before he saw the shimmer of tears in her eyes. She joined Alan at the bookcases. She couldn't love any of them; it was a useless waste of emotion that would hurt everyone in the end. She didn't know how to love anyone anyway; she had forgotten how to use her heart, she had kept it locked away so long.

But she could save them. Fighting was all Caia was good at, and she would fight to the bitter end. She grabbed a book from Jervan's collection of rare demonology books and set to work.