Status: complete.

Cold Breath

duobus

The Theurgian’s Guild was located on the edge of the wilderness near the Boulder Kingdom. It was multi-tiered stone mason structure with a maze like layout. Only those born with the glint of natural essence are allowed admittance to be trained and to learn the ways of the Theurgian. Simply put they were illusionist that once focused, their illusions could and would become real. It was not an easy road to take, most didn't have enough glint and were let go.

Briar Emerson was one with little glint. She was a fourth class Theurgian and of her twenty years of life, half was dedicated to the guild. For ten years of study and practice all she had to show for it were simple illusions, callused hands, and a worn out state of mind. With little hope of moving up she packed her bags, knowing that unless she moved up she was going to be let go.

Briar needed to focus, it was her last chance to make it or break it. At the rate she was going she was on her way out. She was asked to create a wall of flames and only managed to create a small pillar. She was asked to make an empty room look lived in and only managed to make peeling paint and a three legged chair appear. She was asked to make a carriage with four horses and managed to make a wagon with four small puppies. The last request the council asked for was for one of her illusion's to be concrete.

To advance to a class three Theurgian, one illusion has to become real. It can be as simple as a bubble or as complicated as a waterfall.

Briar pushed back her multi colored fishtail braid behind her shoulder and held up her dowel. She widened her stance and waved her hand in a usual pattern. She messed up her pattern as she caught the disappointed look of Council Member Herald. A tiny prayer slipped through her lips as her eyes slipped closed.

"Miss Emerson you may open your eyes." Herald's voice was stony, but there was an underlying hint of surprise. Before her copper eyes was a butterfly. It wasn't huge nor was it small. It drifted along lazily; its baby blue wings flapping lightly. It floated around her head then towards the council, landing on Council Member Eleanor.

"Miss Emerson your trial has come to an end. If you will please wait outside until we have made our decision." The other four council members got busy looking at their notes, while Herald gestured towards the door.

The door shut on Briar's backside as she hesitated at the door. A sigh tumbled out of her as her shoulders hunched forward. Her dowel dangled at her side, becoming hidden in her class four uniform.

"Briar!" Her head shot up. Quickly she plastered a fake smile onto her face.

"Hey Tate." Her voice was small like a mouse. Tate towered over her small frame. His multi colored hair was styled in a natural looking bed head look. He put his huge hands on her shoulders in a comforting gesture. His slightly dark amber eyes hardened.

"Sis, don't put yourself down. I'm sure you did well." Tate shook her lightly then pulled her into a one armed huge.

"Ha, sure I did. Everything they asked I couldn't meet. I tried. I really did, but I think I'm done. I think they’re going to let me go." Briar twirled her dowel between her fingers, conjuring an image of a heart breaking.

"Oh Briar-"

"Tate I've been a fourth class for ten years. You and I both know the only reason I am still an apprentice is cause of mom and dad." It was Tate's turn to sigh.

Both their parents dead because of a disease outbreak. It wasn't just bad luck. Their parents weren't the healthiest of people around. They were born with glint but gave it up to live the wealthy life, making them defenseless to the disease. Instead of the wealth being passed onto Tate and Briar, their parents donated the money to the guild for them to be trained.

"Sis, I was let go two years into my training. If they've kept you for ten years you have talent." He led Briar to a bench to await the verdict.

"Seriously, you and I both know that you never had talent in illusions. You're more into heat and metal." Tate was an apprentice apart of the metalworking guild. Tate smiled and shrugged. "But we can't stop there. Your talents far succeed mine. At least you have skills to prove your ability." Briar seemed to shrink even smaller.

"Stop being such a pessimistic."

"Their probably keeping me here because they can't find anywhere else to put me." Her shoulders slumped further forward. "I have no talent."

With a sudden jolt Tate straighten out Briar. "You need to stop this 'woe is me' crap. It’s not attractive." The door opened to the trial room and Eleanor gestured Briar to enter. "Now go in there with your shoulders back, look in the eye and stand tall. Show them you’re worth their time."

Briar looked Tate in the eyes. Tate’s unyielding strength made her steel her resolve. She straightened her shoulders and entered the room.

"Miss Emerson, to say this bluntly we expected the same results from you as the previous years but you have proven us wrong." Tiarna the head council member spoke with unblinking eyes. She held a soft smile as if she knew a secret the others didn't know. She opened her hand and the blue butterfly drifted from her palm to Briars nose. It landed softly, opening and closing its wings. "You have passed the test. Your illusions are in dire need of improvement yet, the one test you have failed every year before, you have passed. The butterfly lived on with your absence. It is your mark of the third class."

Tiarna clapped her hands. A humming noise grew through the room and suddenly the butterfly exploded into a swirl of blue essence. It danced through the air until coiling around Briar's fingers. It diffused into her veins traveling until it came to rest on her wrist. Ever so lightly the butterfly stained her skin, tattooed forever, yet as animated as before. It drifted from her wrist to her palm to the tip of her thumb moving every so often.

Briar nodded and smiled as the council told her of her success and what was needed of her to become successful. Before she knew it she was in the common room getting lost in the excitement of becoming a class three Theurgian. Finally she would be living in a different section of the guild to begin her new training.
"Finally moving up I see. About time." The voice was high pitched and annoying belonging to none other than Helen Myers. Blond hair, blue eyes, and scalely skin; she was a walking, air breathing mermaid and she was a class two Theurgian. On either side of her was her posse, Kitty Gibson and Yuka Huang. Sisters of the sea yet Theurgian’s as well.

Briar wasn't one for confrontation, so she avoided eye contact. "Little mouse, can't stand on your own two feet without your brother. What a pity!" The three witches started heckling.

Kitty pushed me aside as they walked away. "You won't last long little mouse, especially when you’re playing with the cats." The rest of the apprentices parted for the three girls. Some of them turned back to Briar eyeing her curiously.

"Why does it seem everybody in this guild has a stick shoved up there backside." Briar jumped at the unfamiliar male voice. She turned around swiftly causing herself to almost fall over.

The man was not a part of the guild. He was in his fifties with stern eyes, and crow’s feet at the sides. His hair was black except at the roots were they turned gray. Besides the gray hair and crow’s feet the man still looked fairly young.

"Wow, I didn't mean to startle you." He held his hands up in a peaceful gesture. "I'm Broderick Jervan with the Aegis Conclave. Council Member Seth told me I could find a Miss Briar Emerson in the common room. Are you Miss Emerson?"

"Briar." Her voice was small and unsteady. This caused Jervan to soften his eyes and smile weakly.

"His description of you is dead on. There is no need to fear me. I just want to talk to you. I am in need of a Theurgian, and the council suggested you."

"Really?" Briar was shocked there were plenty of class one Theurgian's that could be more of an assistance.

"More like Seth and Eleanor. They said for this type of job you may be the most suited for the position." Jervan slowly lead Briar away from prying eyes and ears.

"Why? To be honest I'm not that great at illusions." Curiosity had gotten the better of Briar.

"Power without restraint draws unwanted attention. If you can do small illusion, that's fine. I'm not saying your weak but someone at your level is more preferred than say one of those girls, where they just let their power roll off them in waves." A disgusted look overcame his features.

"I still don't understand why you’re telling me this. What do you need me for?" Briar scanned the hall seeing Lilly-Rose and Zakir trying to find out what was being said. Briar started to tremble; she was not use to so much attention, but it subsided when she saw Tate looking for her.
"Well Briar. I'm gathering a team to help find a person of interest, a person that is causing chaos."