Status: complete.

Cold Breath

viginti unum

Darkness. She remembered darkness; she nearly drowned in it. Then light, searing and impossibly bright. There was nothing for a while after that, and then, pain. It was like being sewn back together with white-hot needles and thread. She felt herself being wrapped in something, fused together with it. It was agony, but somehow felt like home. A body. Her body. Caia, she thought slowly. I am Caia. That should be impossible, but she couldn't recall why. Finally the pain began to ease, and she stopped thinking.

Image

Caia pried her eyes open, feeling disoriented. She could hear raised voices nearby, and recognized Jervan's voice. Jervan? That couldn't be right. She was dead. She remembered lying on the floor of the Sanctum while Balaal ripped her soul out... Balaal! She forced her heavy limbs to move, sitting up. She realized she was in her room at Jervan's. His house remained in tact. She supposed his desire to live on the outer edges of the city was validated. Caia climbed gingerly out of bed and shuffled down the hall. She had to know if they stopped Balaal; if everyone was all right.

"It's truly remarkable." That was Councilman Terion. "And you say the Trudeaux girl's soul somehow survived?"

"Yes," Jervan replied. "It drifted free as Balaal was destroyed. It tethered itself to her body, and I was able to guide it back into her after we had checked on Tate and Briar."

"Still, she has remained unconscious for nearly two days. Are you sure they can properly rejoin? She may be comatose forever. There's a chance she won't survive and her body simply gives out, soul or no soul."

Caia strode into the living room. "I survived," she said, her voice hoarse but still laced with derision. Everyone's heads whipped in her direction, and she was nearly knocked flat as people rushed her all at once. Jervan embraced her first,while Hex landed on her shoulder and nuzzled her cheek. Then Dash nearly squashed her lungs. Even Briar hugged her with surprising enthusiasm. "I can't believe you made it," Briar said, pulling back and studying her. Caia blinked, seeing a strange flicker of golden light flash across Briar's cheek.

"Yeah, speaking of that. What happened?" Caia asked.

"Tate used the Lux Solis to kill Balaal," Thaddeus explained eagerly. "And your soul was freed. Jervan put it back into your body."

"How is that possible?" Caia looked at Jervan and the Council members gathered in his living room.

"We're not entirely certain," Councilwoman Zenobia admitted. She stared at Caia curiously. "It's quite remarkable. It's possible that because your soul was not contained by Balaal for very long, that when he was destroyed you were freed and your soul remained intact. Perhaps your Syrienne powers lent you unnatural strength to combat him. It seems your soul was still fighting him from inside. Whether your strength came from your magical abilities or your...forceful personality, you are incredibly lucky to be alive now."

"Where's Adelita?" Caia asked, noticing that the tall Seer wasn't present. A silence weighted with sadness filled the air.

"She sacrificed herself," Dash said quietly. Caia sank onto the couch, deflated.

"She chose her fate," Zenobia said gently. "I know that doesn't ease the grief, but Adelita died as a hero, protecting her friends. I don't think she would have wanted it any other way."

"Maybe not dying," Caia quipped, but it was half-hearted sarcasm. Adelita willingly gave her life to save others. Hadn't Caia herself been willing to do the same? The thought sent a strange jolt through her. She hadn't considered the self-sacrificing type for a long time. Funny how when she finally found something else to live for, she had had to die for it. But, she'd been given another chance. She glanced up at Tate, who hovered by the arm of the couch, watching her. She saw that same flash of light she had seen on Briar dance across the strands of his hair. She frowned.

"Okay, maybe this is a side effect of my soul being eaten and all, but why are Tate and Briar glowing?"

"We think it's because of the Lux Solis," Alan said, his eyes alight with excitement. "They were both so close when its power was unleashed, we believe some of its light went into them, becoming part of them."

"Yeah, and my illusions have gotten better," Briar added. She waved her hands, golden light shimmering across her fingertips and then the whole room was filled with butterflies. One landed on Caia's nose, and she could feel it tickling her. She smiled at the little creature. Briar's face broke into a huge grin as she admired her handiwork.

"So what happened to the Lux Solis?" Caia asked, as the butterflies slowly faded into sparkles of light and vanished.

"The vial trapped Balaal and his shadows and tainted souls when Tate released the magic," Jervan explained. "The Fae Elders took it to empty the darkness into Realm of Eternal Light, so the shadows will be permanently destroyed."

"We owe you an apology, Broderick. And you as well, Miss Trudeaux." Zenobia faced her, and Caia was amazed to see the old elf look chagrined.

"Well, he's gone now," Caia said diplomatically. "And I have the pleasure of saying, 'I told you so.' So we'll call it even."

Zenobia's lips twitched. "We should leave you now. There is much work still to be done to repair the damage to the city." The Council members bid their farewells and left.

"So, what now?" Caia asked.

"Well, I expect the Conclave will compensate you for your troubles as hastily as possible, and then, I guess, we go our separate ways."

Normally, Caia would have been thrilled at the prospect. But now all she felt was a twinge. "No more messes to clean up?" she asked.

"Why?" Jervan arched an eyebrow. "Do you want to work for the Conclave?"

"Please." Caia snorted, but Jervan looked amused.

"I'm just saying, they don't exactly have things under control," Caia went on.

"Mmm." Jervan nodded. "Indeed."

"Would you really want to work with us rookies?" Knox teased. "And a bug to boot? I thought you said you didn't trust bugs?"

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," Caia replied mildly. "And maybe you're not totally useless rookies. There's potential there, I guess."

"I think Caia has a soft spot for us, what do you think?" Knox asked, turning to Thaddeus. He nodded, smirking. "I think she just might."

"Okay, stop it or I'll kill you all right now." Caia scowled. "The only soft spots here are in your skulls."

Jervan and Briar snickered while Dash and Alan shook their heads. Tate just stood there with a knowing little smile on his face.

"Well I'm up for working for the Concalve," Briar declared, earning uncertain looks from Knox and Tate. "What?" she demanded. "I'm tired of being a mouse."

"Would you prefer hamster?" Tate asked innocently, and Briar socked his arm.

"I think we could all use some rest," Jervan said.

"I've been resting for two days," Caia protested.

"Yes well most of us have been up for almost forty-eight hours, dealing with the aftermath of Yalara's betrayal. I'm going to bed." Jervan stood and hugged Caia gently. "I thought we'd lost you," he said quietly. "Thanks for sticking around a while. Your dad would be so proud of you." He pulled back and Caia blinked back a sudden threat of tears. She had done enough crying lately.

"Good night, Caia," Dash said. He scuffed his feet against the carpet nervously as he faced Briar. "And, um, good night to you too. I'm glad you're all right, after everything. When that light went off and you were lying there unconscious, I thought you were dead. I almost had a heart attack."

His cheeks flamed red and Briar smiled. Then she marched up to him, seized the front of his shirt, and pulled him into a kiss. Tate coughed quietly. Alan, Knox, and Thaddeus looked stunned, and Caia swallowed a laugh at their expressions. Dash looked equally as stunned when Briar pulled away, a spark of golden light dancing across her lips. "Yeah, I love you too, Dash." She smiled again and strolled casually out of the room.

"So" Caia said. "Not a mouse, but a minx." Tate wrinkled his nose and Caia giggled. She shoved Dash. "Earth to Dash? I suggest you breathe soon before you pass out."

His cheeks turned even redder. Caia patted his arm and went outside into the garden for some fresh air. She dipped her bare toes into the pond, staring up at the sky as the sun faded beyond the horizon. Even from the safety of Jervan's house, she could see the wreckage of the city. It made her heart heavy, but she knew it would be repaired. Every able-bodied magic user would work tirelessly to rebuild their capital. She felt heat at her back and turned to find Tate. "I guess I owe you a pretty big thank you," she said.

Tate shrugged. "I told you I wasn't going to let you die."

"But why?" Caia whispered. Tate closed the distance between them to a mere breath. "Because then who would there be to make life interesting?" He smiled, a flash of Lux Solis blooming across his face.

"Well, I mean, there are plenty of other interesting people. I hear Fae women are particularly-" Tate caught her face in his hands, just like she had done to him in the Sanctum. "As much as I love your voice, Caia, can you stop talking just this once?" he murmured. He planted his lips against hers, his hands moving from her face to encircle her waist. Caia wrapped her arms around his neck, his light and warmth enveloping her.

"What is with you Emersons?" she asked breathlessly when they parted. "Going around kissing everybody?"

"Not everybody. The only one I feel like kissing is you."

"Well thank heavens you don't both want to kiss Dash. That would be pretty awkward."

Tate laughed. "So what's the plan, Caia? You going to stick around and help us put Centrum Mundi back in order?"

"Well, someone has to supervise."

"I think Knox was right. You do have a soft spot for us."

Caia feigned horror. "Don't go around telling anybody. I have a reputation to protect."

"Your secret's safe with me," he promised, planting a kiss on her nose. They returned to the house and Caia cleaned up. Tate was lounging in her window seat with a book when she stepped out of the bathroom. "The bed is big enough for two people to sleep in," she pointed out, crawling under the covers. Tate joined her, causing Hex to flap his wings irritably.

"Oh hush, you," Caia scolded. "There's room for you too." Caia rested her head on Tate's shoulder, and laughed when Hex curled up on his other one. Tate sighed. Hex yowled triumphantly then promptly fell asleep. Despite her two-day coma, Caia found her eyelids drooping. She joined Hex in the land of sleep, fingers intertwined with Tate's.

Image

The next morning they convened over breakfast, Briar looking pleasantly surprised when Dash greeted her by lifting her off her feet and twirling her in a circle. Knox's bad luck fairy joined them, looking nervous and causing everyone to have to suffer through burnt toast. And Jervan was going to need a few new plates. Despite the damage inflicted on the city, funerals for the fallen were held that day. Caia placed a braided crown of moonflowers on the memorial stone dedicated to Adelita. They went to the library after that, to help repair broken bookcases and reshelve books. Dash's father joined them, fussing over Caia and Briar. When he caught Briar and Dash holding hands, he winked and asked when the wedding was. Jervan joined them, announcing he had news.

"Firstly, Councilman Addox has been relieved of his position and jailed. After some investigating, they found that Caia's accusations against him were right. The first time Balaal was summoned, Addox had hired a prominent mage to it, thinking he himself would be powerful enough to stop the demon, thus gaining more prestige." Jervan shook his head in disgust. "Also it seems that in light of the chaos here in the city, some fairy outlaws are stirring up a lot of trouble in the outer realms. Councilwoman Zenobia wanted to know if we would be interested in putting an end to it."

"They want to hire us on as permanent Emissaries?" Tate asked.

"Well, at least while the efforts are going on here to rebuild, most other things are more or less on hold until this mess is taken care of. You all could give it a sort of trial run, if you want."

Caia smiled at the excited looks they exchanged with each other. Jervan looked at her. "So, how about it, Caia?"

Caia glanced around at the assembled group. Her friends. It was a strange thought, but she liked it. Her eyes met Tate's and a smile came easily to her face. He had loved her even when she was broken; when part of her soul was gone. He had been the one to give it back to her, in more ways than one. Perhaps she didn't need friends or love in her life, but she decided she wanted them. To hell with loneliness.

"Well what are we standing around here for?" She climbed down from the ladder she was standing on. "Let's go kick some outlaw fairy ass." As the nine of them left the library, Hex fluttering eagerly overhead, Tate wrapped his arm around Caia's shoulders in a one-armed embrace. Briar shot them a grin over her shoulder and wiggled her eyebrows. Caia stuck her tongue out. It occurred to her that Briar was essentially the sister she had never had. Damn it, these rookies are turning me into a giant sap.

"So is that how you pictured your life going?" Tate asked. Caia shook her head. "Not in a million years." She watched as Knox tripped while walking beside Kaleb, scattering a startled group of pixies who began hurling curses and dive bombing both of them.

"Not in a million years," Caia repeated. "But I will say this, Metal Man. Life may not have turned out how I expected, but with you rookies around, it will always be interesting."