Status: complete.

Cold Breath

quattuor

As soon as Briar found an empty room, she looked apologetic at Tate and closed the door before he could speak. She slumped against the door as his soft knocking slowly make her slide down the door until she was sitting on the floor.

"Briar." Tate's voice was soft but stern, like trying to calm a frightened deer. Briar always had a weak constitution, if she wasn't watched she could get seriously ill quite quickly. "Come on open the door. Those scrolls...I know how you are." Briar closed her eyes hoping he would get the hint to leave. "I'm not leaving. I know what you'll do. It will only make you sicker.” Briar reached into her robe and fingered a small glass bottle.

When Tate's knocking persisted, Briar finally spoke up. "I'll be fine. Just go get some rest." Her voice was shrill and weak.

Tate shifted on the other side of the door. "I'll leave as soon as you hand it over." Briar glared at the wall imaging Tate crossing his arms. Feeling defiant, she popped the cork out with her thumb. If her brother wanted the bottle he would get the bottle just after she took some. She was about to throw it back when the butterfly dance across her palm and across her knuckles.

Strength my little Briar Patch Strength.

Her father's words echoed through her head. Even without his glint butterflies were still attracted to him. The other insects may have abandoned him but the butterflies stayed close. Feeling tears gather in her eyes and shame burn through blood, she hauled herself to her feet and through open the door.

"Here. Take it." Briar waved the bottle in the air, avoiding Tate's concerned face. Nothing happened for a spell, she continued to stare down. Realizing Tate wasn't just going to leave, she met his eyes. "Well?"

"This needs to stop. You know how dangerous this stuff is? Just a bit over and it can send you into a coma. There are other medicines that are safer. Where do you even get this stuff? Sleeper's Shade sis...." At that point Briar tuned him out.

It wasn't because she was being rude or she didn't care. He was the only other person she had. She stopped listening because their little tussle had gained attention. Attention Briar tried to avoid. Luckily most of the scene was blocked by a huge man. He was taller than Tate and that was saying something.

The trembling started, she could feel blood rush to her cheeks. The man took a step forward, his pale hazel eyes staring down on her. She recognized him as the guy from the meeting....Dash. Her eyes went wide. She didn't want to travel with him what if he got mad or angry, what if she was alone with him and he tried to hurt her. She couldn't do this. She slammed the door and locked it. Ignoring the knocking and shouts, she rushed over to the scrying basin.

"Council Member Eleanor." Briar spoke as clear and as calm as she could. The basin was filled with clear water. It rippled for a moment then stopped. No response. Panic starting to set in Briar tried again. "Any Theurgian Council Member." The water started to ripple, trying to locate a member. If Briar was in her right mind she would've chose her words more wisely.

The water clouded over revealing Council Member Herald. His cold eyes glared at her. His lips were set in a firm line. He ran his hand through his black hair straightening it. He acted old and crabby but was the youngest Member. "Miss Emerson. What do I owe this pleasure?" He was anything but happy to hear from her.

"I can't do this. Please pick someone else." She all but begged him. Herald sighed and rubbed his face.

"I'm sorry but our decision is made you're going." His voice was stern but he looked dubious of his own words.

"How? I know for a fact that Lilly-Rose or Kitty are far more advanced than I and they're only class two. Zakir is even a class one. They can handle this; I cannot." She was pleading now.

"Miss Emerson the reason you were chosen for this is because we were going to let you go." Briar stilled. She passed; they said she passed. "Even though you made it to class three, you don't have the drive or the skill. If I had it my way Knox would've taken your place." Dread filled Briar as Knox's name was said. He was top dog and Briar first friend. They hit it off well until he started moving forward and she didn't. Even though she was nowhere in his league, he still found time for her. Briar wondered why at the time, but now she knew better. He wanted more than she was able to give. She pushed back the memories and focused on Herald. "Seth and Eleanor convinced Tiarna that maybe in a different setting you would thrive. I have my doubts. However if you so dearly wish to leave the mission you can, but you will not be coming back as a Theurgian."

Herald looked excited, overjoyed at the thought that Briar would be giving up. Briar turned away and quickly wiped a falling tear away. She didn't want to stay on, but if she didn't she would have nothing to show for ten years of study. "I will stay." It came out barely louder than a whisper.

Herald rolled his eyes. "Do not waste my time again Miss Emerson. Your insecurities are of little concern to me." With that the water rippled again leaving clear basin.

The commotion outside her door stopped and Briar was glad of it. She needed some time to get herself under control. The only thing that seemed to calm her was the drifting butterfly. During the test, she didn't have a butterfly in mind but a bubble. Simple and easy. It made her wonder if maybe her parents were still watching over Tate and her.

[img]http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/44300/44390/44390_celtic_div_lg.gif [/img]

The house was located on a hill, in a secluded part of Keyten. Keyten its self was small. For something this radical and horrific to happen, without the alerting the townspeople, whoever was behind this was powerful and not someone to mess with.

The town was pleasant and warm, but as the house on the hill came into view, it seemed like they walked through a rip. The whole hillside was awash in frozen flowers and withering grass. The two story house was tinted blue, from all the frost. Here and there columns of ice projected from the walls coming to needle sharp points.

Briar had to wrap her arms around her, wishing she was still in her Theurgian Robes. Her long sleeved hoodie did little to keep the unnatural biting winds from chilling her bones.

"I'm not sure if we're dealing with someone or something. It shouldn't be this cold here." Alan pointed out as he pushed his glasses up. His robes swished around him as he quickly strode up the hill. It was as if the cold didn't affect him.

"It's their signature. Or better yet. It's their excessive energy lingering. Without some help this area of Keyten may forever be incased in ice." Adelita sounded horrified. Her colorless eyes were wide with fear. She wasn't voicing it, but slowly images were playing through her head. They were broken and mismatched...incomprehensible.

The closer the group got to the house the colder it got. Briar was about to say something about the cold, but Thaddeus beat her to the punch. "I'm going to have to sit this one out. It’s too cold." Thaddeus was dressed warmer than Briar but it seemed the cold was affecting him harder.

"Aren't you a Pyrokinetic? This should feel like a walk in the park." Caia scoffed. She was dressed in thick furs and looked to be as prepared as Jervan.

Thaddeus was now shaking violently, so much so his teeth were making noises. "No that’s a misconception. I'm a creator of flame that doesn't mean I run a high temperature. No that would be your boy over there that has steam rolling off him." Thaddeus pointed towards Briar and Tate. Tate glanced at his shoulders and shrugged. His inner heat was keeping him war. Before Thaddeus was out of sight he shouted over his shoulder. "It would've been nice if you could have warned us!" He had a point none of them had ever dealt with an ice demon.

"Why do you think he's called an ice demon? Just for his looks." Caia snorted seeming to be unfazed by Jervan and Adelita glares.

"All we were told was it was an ice demon, not a frigid demon. What do you expect?" It wasn't a very catchy response but Tate was trying to make a point.

Caia stopped and slightly shook her head, she turned around with a pleasant smile and a wicked gleam in her eyes. Her mouth opened and Dash suddenly spoke.

"If it’s any consolation, the earth is deadly silent and still. Plus there are no animals within a three mile radius." Briar was so consumed by the challenging stares being given and received by Caia and Tate, that she didn't realize Dash was coming up behind her until she was consumed by a shadow.

She let loose a yelp and dived for Tate. Quickly she spun Tate around and hid behind him. She trembled like a leaf.

"Wow I didn't mean to startle you." Dash was soft with his words and kneeled down to get closer on her level.

"Briar," Tate sighed out her name. "He's not going to hurt you."

"This is our illusionist. We're doomed." Caia laughed, putting her hands on her knees to keep from falling over.

"I wouldn't say doomed. She has potential." The group became silent as a lean arachnoid being came up the hill. "Name's Knox. The Theurgian Council thought it wise to have two illusionists than just one."

This time Tate shifted to stand in front of Briar. Tate knew of Knox and didn't want him around his little sister. While Tate was being a protective older brother, Briar was having a mild panic attack.

Panic wasn't the only reason her heart was beating so fast. Knox still had a place in her heart. He was the same height as Tate. Short spiky hair covered his head. Three pairs of black eyes blinked as he tilted his head to make eye contact with Briar. He smiled showing his white teeth and two sets of fangs. One poisonous, one non-poisonous. While one set of his arms were stuffed in his pocket the other set waved at Briar. "Hello Briar."

Feeling overwhelmed, Briar looked down and saw the butterfly swirling on the back of her hand. Strength. Not letting herself think, she pushed towards the house leaving the other in the dust. They had a murder scene.

The house was even colder on the inside. She tightened her arms around her and started scanning the scene. Blood was frozen everywhere, bodies were stern. The impaled ice was pink with blood.

"Grizzly isn't?" Alan asked. Briar jumped lightly but caught her breath. She then followed Alan's voice. He was hunched over the floor. A spell later and the ice melted in a geometric pattern.

A deep sigh fell out of his mouth. Briar stepped closer and noticed the pattern seemed to move, there were three different patterns. "We are dealing with a demon."

"So a demon summoned a demon.” Alan nodded. Alan continued to examine the patterns, but Briar finally spoke up when Alan followed one of the moving lines. "You know there are three patterns?"

"No my dear there is only one." Alan looked annoyed now. "Why don't you go wait on the porch for the others." He flicked his wrist to shoo her away.

Briar didn't like being called a liar so she leaned down and ran her fingers through the two lines. They quickly merged into the one patterned. "See it was an illusion." She smiled proud that she was able to help.

Alan stiffened. "I wish it wasn't true. That just makes it worst. We're dealing with a demon turned human."

"That's bad?" Briar asked softly. Alan just nodded.