Status: complete.

Cold Breath

quinctus

A normal day at the guild was simple and easy. Breakfast, class, study, lunch, study hall and free time, dinner night class, study hall and lights out. Briar was not prepared to be rudely awakened by her door slamming in.

"Hey girlie this is your wake up call." Briar jumped in her bed and pulled her covers over her body so only her eyes were visible. "You have nothing to hide. I have the same equipment."

Caia stood in the hallway. She was dressed in her heavy combat boots with black leggings. Her shirt looked to be simple, but it was hard to tell for a thick coal colored coat covered most of it. It stopped at the back of her knees and clung to her waist and chest. Big white buttons stopped mid-stomach making it billow out. The cherry on top was her innocent looking pigtails.

Briar scanned the window, the sun wasn't even up. "It's early." Far earlier than she was used to getting up at the guild.

"Early bird gets the worm." Briar ducked as Caia tossed something at her. Slowly Briar examined the objects. They were clothes. Briar looked at Caia with confusion. Caia rolled her eyes, releasing a frustrated sigh. "So you brother won't get on my class again. Now hurry up." Without another word Caia closed the door behind her and was gone.

Not wanting to cause any more attention to herself, Briar quickly dressed in the clothes. They were definitely causal compared to her guild wardrobe, yet oddly they fit. A thermal long-sleeve in the color of beige, with a maroon sleeveless hoodie zipped at an angle. Dark Russet drawstring waist stretchy pants accompanied by her regular shoes.

In a matter seconds her dowel was stuffed in her pocket and a messenger bag was hanging off her shoulder with her possessions. She followed the sounds of chatter out her door and down the hall, her braided hair swishing behind her. It seemed like she'd been heading towards the sounds forever, when suddenly she felt something fall onto her messenger bag. Her heart rate jumped. Thoughts of the ice demon being behind her suddenly came to the forefront of her mind. It wasn't rational, by no means, but Briar was always one to jump to conclusions.

When nothing happened and the temperature stayed the same, her heart seemed to ease up. She forced herself to adjust her bag causing her hair to swing to and fro. A sound of pain echoed down the hall, as Briar's eyes widened. Using instinct only she swung her head and grabbed her braid. On the end of it was Hex. Her unnatural green eyes were wide and dilated in amusement. Briar stilled, Hex's tail stopped twitching and slowly turned her head and stared at Briar. Hex blinked and Briar panic.

Briar booked down the hallway with Hex hanging onto her braid like the tail to a mouse. As soon as Briar saw people she started yelling. "Get it off! Help! Get it off!"

Everyone was assembled and seemed to be waiting for Briar. Their talking ended, leaving some people with stares of bewilderment and others with straight amusement written on their face. Jervan and Alan were laughing out loud. Adelita was shocked as well was Knox. As for Tate and Caia, they both looked annoyed for different reasons.

"Will you stop moving you're only making it worse." Caia griped Briar's upper arm and yanked her to a stop. Briar stood as still as she could, trembling slightly and fiddling her fingers. Weight was lifted from Briar followed by a yowl. "Hex stop that." Briar turned her head slightly and saw Hex trying to get her braid. Fear and freedom mixed and she hid behind the nearest body, which was Dash who she mistakenly thought was Tate. "You're such a mouse."

"Don't refer to my sister like that." Tate moved to tower over Caia. "And control your cat."

"Briar's a big girl. If she doesn't like something she's got to learn to speak up." Caia turned to Briar. Caia gestured for her to speak up, but Briar remained silent. Pity filled Caia's eyes. "Whatever."

When Tate went to rekindle their argument, Jervan spoke up putting an end to their fight. "To our first check point, we will have to split into two groups. Each stratosurfer can only hold so many. Once we get to Canyon Falls we will be forced to use a different method of travel. Caia, Tate, Alan and Adelita will follow in the second surfer. Dash, Knox, Thaddeus, Briar and I will take the lead surfer. We won't arrive until late, let's go."

Briar tried to get a word in, but everyone started moving and she was ushered along. Briar caught sight of Tate. Concern was written all over his face. He shoved pass Caia, earning a glare and made his way over to Jervan. Briar didn't know what they were saying but by the pointing of fingers and glances to Caia and herself, she could only assume.

"Hey did I miss anything?" Thaddeus suddenly appeared next to Briar, she choked on her saliva and started coughing, but it quickly ended.

Dash touched her shoulder. "Are you okay?" Briar was too scared to talk, but nodded. The sweetest smile she'd scene appeared on his face, his eyes seemed to light up. "That's good." He removed his hand but continued walking next to her, so she could see him.

"Just some drama." Knox shrugged. "That’s and you almost missed our ride."

Image

The surfer was a hollowed out ship with a large glass floor in the center. Against each wall were two seats as well as two seats for the pilots. Dash and Jervan were navigating while Briar was next to Knox and Thaddeus was across the way. At first the trip was silent, but it didn't last long. Dash and Jervan started arguing over which route to take.

"Briar I miss this. You and me." Knox spoke quietly.

For some reason without her brother Briar found the courage to speak up. "You and I will never be more than friends." Briar stared forward not able to meet his eyes.

"That's all we can ever be. That's all I want." Shocked Briar whipped her head towards Knox. He smiled weakly. "You were the first person to like me for me and look past my appearance." He gestured to his arms and face. "It took me a while to realize it but," he hesitated and a slight smile covered his face showing off his fangs. "I'm into males."

Briar was speechless. Out of everything she was expecting to hear. That wasn't even near her list. "Friends?"

A smile then a laugh happened before Briar could find her voice. "Friends." Briar nudged Knox when she caught Thaddeus staring at Knox with interest. Knox followed her gaze and smiled at Thaddeus. Without warning Knox got up and went to talk to Thaddeus.

Briar was still in a state of shock. Knox seemed like a lady killer. Another laugh bubbled up her throat, but suddenly she became aware of Dash. He sat down next to her and smiled. The turn of events was nothing like Briar was used to. Normal days were gone.