Broken Ties and Tangled Lies

The Best Day

I looked around and saw my brother standing in front of the small couch I had been sleeping on, his tan face full of worry. It was then that I realized I must’ve been screaming in my sleep. I apologized in a small voice, but he just held out his arms. I stood up and cried harder than I already had been and hugged him as tightly as I could while mumbling on about my dream. He sat down with me and held my head to his chest. He sung to me in a low, soothing tone until I eventually drifted off, listening to his heartbeat.

I woke up the next morning to the smell of pancakes, meaning my grandma was out of town and Clay was making pancakes. Paris was half asleep at the table while Nathan crashed his dinosaur toys together. Clay whistled as he made his delicious pancakes. I love saturdays like this. They were always so.. peaceful, fun. We finished the last bit of pancakes in minutes; all of us were starving on account of the fact that we had no dinner the night before.

After breakfast, I helped Clay do the dishes while Paris and Nathan played hide and seek around the house. After we were finished, we called our siblings into the living room. We all sat together on the small green couch I sleep on every night and turned on the flat screen in front of us. We spent a few minutes arguing on what movie to watch, until we finally just agreed on Aladdin. We spent the rest of the day eating our weight in junk food while watching Disney movies on Netflix. That day was the best day we’d had in a while, and none of us wanted it to end. But, alas, our grandmother would eventually get home from work, and these types of shenanigans weren’t tolerated. At 10:00 pm, we cleaned up and everyone headed to bed as I rested my head on the arm of the lumpy couch, trying to convince myself that maybe, one day, we could have these days more often, even though I knew that couldn’t happen.