Broken Ties and Tangled Lies

Not An Awful Day

Oh God. I couldn't tell if I'd rather throw up or pass out. Maybe both. At least then i could go home. Get some alone time while my gramas at work. Yeah, that would work. Anything would be better than walking in through those doors. I'd rather get beaten by my own grandmother. Alas, i walked into school, keeping my gaze on the floor.

We walked through the main entrance and into the main office. There are two doors in the main office. One leads you to one side of the school, and vice-versa I hugged my brother before we would have to go our separate ways. He knew that i had a hard time in school, but not that things were as bad as they were. I bit back tears as he said "have a good day!" And with that, he was gone.

I walked to my locker, which was all the way upstairs. None of my classes were upstairs. I removed my jacket and picked up my books for first period: Language Arts with Mr. Samuel. I sighed as i walked down across the school, to my class. I paused outside of the doors. Was it too late to puke? Despite my thoughts, i walked in the door. I regretted the decision the minute i thought it.

Jack Sloane. The school's most loved student. Most popular, super attractive, ladies man, jock, straight A's, and, most of all, my worst nightmare. He had teased me since he found out i existed. I didn’t know what i did to make him dislike me, and i didn't wanna find out. Ever.

There he was, standing right there in front of the door, blocking my entry. "Jack, move." He didn’t budge. I tried pushing him out of the way, but he simply pushed me back, except I fell to the ground, he didn’t. "Seriously please." Still, i sat there. That's when the bell rang. Crap, i was gonna be counted late. Not again. I had already gotten ISS for being late, i didn’t need anything else. I heard footsteps behind me. Knowing who i was about to face, i turned slowly to see Mr. Samuel standing right there. "Late again?" I begged and pleaded for him to understand that it wasn’t my fault. But, when i turned around, Jack wasn’t there. Mr. Samuel began to tap his foot at me. He agreed to let me off the chain, this time. I said thank you and walked briskly into the class, everyone snickering as i walked past and to my seat; all the way in the back.

The class started, but i wasn’t listening. The teacher knew it too. He couldn't care less. I already knew all of it. I basically sit there and have a free period. Well, not free. A period of noticing everyone's stares more than usual. Yeah. Sounds right. Jack passing me threatening notes like "watch your back, ugly ass." Or "Goodwill's coming to get you. They want their jeans back." Jack throwing spitballs at me. Jack whisper-yelling things at me like "get out of my class." And "Dude take off that mask its scaring me." Jack calling attention to me. Jesus, i hated that kid.

After an hour and a half of Hell, i finally got to move to my next class: Orchestra. Oh, i loved Orchestra. I played cello. Dorky, I know, and it was my shortest class, but i loved it, nonetheless. I could play my heart out, I could be free. Some people write, some draw, I play. I would have Orchestra as my only class if I could. Sadly, That couldn’t happen. We played through some pieces before we all heard the bell ring. “Don’t forget,” Mrs. Clabberbee said to me, “The worst tragedies inspire the best music.” I smiled at her before grabbing my things and leaving the class, ready to face the next few hours of torcher. It was a normal day. I had to give it to em; the bullies had their stuff together. They had shoved me into a locker, a trash can, and a puddle. They had lowered my self esteem, made me feel useless, made my limbs ache with bruises. All of this before 3:00. I was getting used to it, I guess.

Of course it still hurt. Of course my heart was still broken. Of course I wanted to die right then and there. But, I had definitely learned how to act as if I felt none of these things. I had to act as if this were all getting old. Like it was all a bunch of nothing that hadn’t changed my mood one bit. They’d managed to ruin my shirt with chocolate milk, but that’s okay, it’s not like my other clothes didn’t match, right? I simply kept walking, the cold liquid seeping through my clothes, hiding my tears until I had finally managed to reach the bathroom, where they spilled from my eyes like rain over a rain forest. I wanted to give up, but what was I supposed to do? Run away? If I was ever found, my grandmother would kill me in seconds. I couldn’t walk away, and I couldn’t drop out, so I just had to find a way to deal. As I stared at myself in the mirror, I noticed someone I despised, someone I had promised myself I wouldn’t turn into. I saw the face of someone who had broken, someone who couldn’t take the pressure of people simply calling her names. I turned away from the ugly reflection I had just seen, giving up on trying to heal her.

I wiped off the tears, along with the chocolate milk that now covered my t-shirt, grabbed my books, and walked out of the bathroom, or tried to, anyways. As soon as I was out of the doorway, a huge shadow blocked my way, knocking me and my books to the floor. God, they come after me during lunch now too?

“Jesus, watch where you’re going.”

“I’m so sorry, need a hand up?” That wasn’t Sloane’s voice. That’s when I saw him.
He had dark brown hair that curled up at the ends and eyes that were this beautiful ocean blue. I didn’t mean to stare, but, dude, this kid was gorgeous. I snapped out of my daze, realizing he had asked me a question.

“Oh, sorry, what?”

“Do you need a hand?”

“Yeah, sure, thanks.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet, his gaze meeting mine.

“Hi, I’m Max.” His smile was killing me.

“I’m Ally.” I kindly returned the smile.