Avengers of the Future

Chapter Five.

Bruce was rushing towards the blinking green dot on the monitor and came to a lone rock formation with a hole in the side that was defiantly chiseled out and headed towards it. He was inside the cave like structure. To be honest, Bruce was scared of himself but he walked in anyways to find a tall stairwell leading into the largest rock. Bruce paused for moment and wondered what he was now like. Was he scared or angry? Bruce finally spoke. “Bruce Banner?” he heard his voice echo and something fall to the floor. Bruce stepped forward and saw himself pressed against the wall, skinny, wrinkled and frightened. Older Bruce went by Robert now, his first name as Bruce was his middle name. Robert ‘s eyes widened and whispered. “Who are you and why do you look like me 22 years ago?” he had a portable heart monitor on his wrist and it beeped, signaling him to calm down. “Laura got the time machine running and brought a few of us here.” Bruce said, trying to keep his voice even. “Why did you leave our daughter alone in a wreaked lab with no one around to rescue her?” Bruce raised his voice slightly. “I sent the distress signal! I knew she would be found when someone responded!” Robert defended and Bruce raised his voice even more. “What if no one got the signal?! What if no one was there to rescue her?! She would have DIED in that lab! Why didn’t you go back when you had calmed down to make sure she was alright!?”. Robert looked at Bruce and said. “I was scared! I wrapped her in my lab coat and put her under the desk to protect her and then I changed into the Hulk just outside the lab and everything went dark after that! I don’t remember anything after I told Laura that Daddy would be back soon!” Robert said and Bruce said. “But you never did go back! She thinks that you hate her and left her to die on purpose because she found signs that you were still out there!” Robert then raised his voice. “I love her with everything I have! I did it to protect her! I don’t know why I didn’t go back and check to see if she was alive! I was scared!”. Robert was almost in tears. “You don’t deserve to be a father to her! Did you know that Tony and Pepper raised her and she took his last name instead of keeping Banner as her last name!? Did you know that her daughter doesn’t even know who you are?! Laura has kept you out of Sophia’s life because you abandoning her!” Bruce shouted and Robert’s eyes widened. “I… I have a granddaughter? Laura has a daughter who doesn’t know who I am? I have a grandbaby and her name is Sophia?” Robert said and a few tears fell form his eyes. Bruce pulled out a small picture Tony gave him and showed it to Robert. “Oh… she had her face and eyes…” Robert said softly and smiled slightly. “Who is the father?” he asked. “James Rogers-Romanoff. Captain America and Black Widow’s son.”. Robert’s smile went away immediately. “What?” he said, getting upset. “I don’t want him near my daughter! He is an assassin! A Killer!” He shouted and Bruce took a step back. “What do you mean? He is a nice boy who is a wonderful father to Sophia and a wonderful husband to Laura.” Bruce said and Robert’s eyes looked horrified. “They are married!?” Robert shouted. “He went out into the forest a few times and one time murdered a group of people who were asking for help! Slit their throats and shot them in the head point blank! I saw it happen! He assassinated 10 people. Men, Women and Children! I need to get him away from my Princess!” Robert rushed around and found a pair of shoes since he was in old khaki pants and a purple shirt on. “Take me to where she is please!” Robert begged Bruce and Bruce nodded slightly. Robert and Bruce rushed off out of his make shift home. The two carefully made their way back to the base and to Laura.
Tony was in the lab, telling Laura why Bruce left. “Oh please Dad! He isn’t going to find himself! He is leaving for good like he did before!” Laura cried and her eyes kept flickering green and her skin started to tint green. Tony saw this and made her look at him. “Laura, sweetie, please calm down…” Tony whispered to her and Laura took in deep breaths to try and calm down. James and Natasha were done with their climb and James checked on Sophia who was happily playing with JARVIS. James smiled before heading to the lab to see his wife distraught. James ran in and hugged her tightly. “What happened?!” he almost ordered and Tony sighed. “Bruce left to go find himself and she thinks he left like before.” Tony huffed slightly. James glared at Tony before kissing Laura’s head. “Shhhh… it’s ok…” He muttered softly and held her to him. After a while, Laura calmed down and dried her red eyes before telling James to go take a shower because he is covered in sweat. James nodded and told her he would be back soon. James left and took a shower but in the shower he thought about everything he has done that no one knows about but him. He has killed people and he had blood on his hands. When he joined the military resistance when he was 11, a group of military men who searched for and killed Drones, he thought he was doing the greatest thing in the world. He quickly rose through the ranks to Lieutenant. James was snapped out of his thoughts when cold water hit him. He had been in the shower too long. James got out and changed into a white shirt and camo cargo pants before he ended back to the lab, his hair still wet. Laura was talking with another base in South America on an attack by the HyrdaMegaDrone. “A few people died and we buried them this morning. We set fire to the Drone after we took it down but that doesn’t bring back those who died.” Victoria Hill said. Her mother, Maria Hill, had taken over the base when Nick Fury died a few years after the world take over and Maria died from a Drone shot to the chest a year ago. Victoria was only 17 and she was running an entire base with Coulson. Coulson was discovered alive after the LA battle, which pissed off Tony to no end. “Are you ok? I heard you got the machine running and brought your dad back with you…” Victoria said. “I’m fine.” Laura answered softly, of course she was lying.
Victoria nodded before saying that she should get some sleep. Laura nodded and singed off. Laura leaned back in her chair before the monitor turned on, saying that there were two organic bodies approaching the base. JARVIS opened the door as he saw it was Bruce. Tony rushed to the two of them and saw Bruce for the first time in nearly 22 years. “Bruce.” Tony said. “I actually go by Robert now.” Robert said softly to Tony. Tony saw Robert had long white hair and looked a lot older then he really was. “I need to talk to Laura now. I need to get her away from James.” Robert said quickly and before Tony could ask why, Bruce rushed Robert over to Laura’s lab only to see James hugging Laura. “Get your hands off of my daughter!” Robert shouted, startling Laura and James. Laura stared at Robert as Robert shoved James away from her and into a table. “Who are you!?” Laura shouted at Robert. “I am your father and you are to divorce and never see him again!” Robert yelled at Laura, making her back up into her desk. “You have no say in what I can do with my life! You abandoned me and that voided any say you have in my life!” Laura yelled back. “You husband is a cold blooded killer! He murdered a group of men, women and children by slicing their throats and shooting them in the head at point blank! Ask him!” Robert shouted and Laura looked at James. “He has never killed a human in his life!” Laura defended her husband who looked at the ground, avoiding her eyes. “James, tell him he is wrong!” Laura’s voice cracked and James stayed quiet. “James?” Laura asked, now scared. “Tell him he is wrong…” Laura almost begged James to say something and when he didn’t, she started tearing up. ”James?”. James didn’t look up and shook his head softly. “He is a murderer! Who knows how many more people he has killed!” Robert shouted and pointed at James. Laura shook her head and covered her mouth with her hand as she began to cry again.