Caught Between Two Worlds

ch.18

August 18, 1974, Hollywood CA

While laying in bed, Ava was awoken suddenly as the alarm clock next to her rang in her ears. She closed her eyes at the ringing and pushed the off button, and proceeded to lay back down and pull the pillow that her head was on over her head, trying to go back to sleep. Then suddenly as she set the pillow down over her head, it was lifted off of her head, the morning sun hitting her face, to which she groaned at. She opened one eye and looked out at the sunrise from the sliding glass window that led out to the balcony. Ava sighed and closed her eyes again, which was met with a pillow connecting with her face. Ava gasped and opened her eyes and got up quickly to see who the culprit was. As she sat up in bed and looked over towards her right, she saw Paul standing next to the bed with a pillow in his hands and a huge smile on his face. “what you have to get up we have to go soon…that’s why I set the alarm last night so we could get an early start…” Paul said as he set the pillow down next to her, as he walked to the bathroom to get ready. As he walked away Ava smirked as she grabbed the pillow that Paul just had and threw it at his retreating back. Once it connected with a soft thud, Paul turned around, eyebrows raised, as Ava smiled back and stuck her tongue out him, as Paul rolled his eyes as he continued to walk to the bathroom.
Ava finally got up, and poured water into the hotel coffee maker that was next to the tv and put in the prepackage coffee grounds into the coffeemaker and smiled as she heard the coffeemaker start percolating. “you know we can get coffee at one of the restaurants downstairs right…” Paul said from the open bathroom door. “ugh but I want coffee now….” Ava whined sleepily, as she glanced at her reflection in the mirror beside the television, and her eyes grew wide as she touched her hair in shock. “holy shit! Oh my god my hair!” Ava screamed as Paul stepped out of the bathroom at the commotion “what! Whats up” he said as he watch Ava looking at her reflection in the mirror “I look like cousin IT…look at my hair….” As Paul slightly laughs from where hes standing as Ava looks at him through the reflection of the mirror “shut up paul…you aren’t doing any better…” as she gestured towards his hair that was everywhere as well. At that Paul touched his hair and tried to pouf it down, with no success and shrugged his shoulders as he stepped back into the bathroom. Ava rolled her eyes and walked into the bathroom, as Paul was trying to fix his hair. “um….i think you need to take a shower first before you do that..” Ava said matter of factly as she touched his hair and made a “pouf” sound as she did and slightly laughed as Paul turned and looked at her and said “you do look like cousin IT by the way” looking at her hair. To which Ava didn’t respond to as she turned away from him as she proceeded to turn on the water in the shower and putting her hand in to check the temperature. Once it was the desired temperature, Ava stripped herself of her pajamas and got in the shower and pulled the shower curtain closed.
Once the shower curtain was closed and Ava started washing her hair, Paul stared at the shower curtain through the mirror, then shrugged as he began to take off the pajama bottoms that he was wearing and quietly opened the shower curtain and hopped in the shower with Ava. She was humming a song as she was scrubbing the shampoo in her hair and as she turned towards Paul to rinse the shampoo from her hair, so opened her eyes and she flinched when she saw Paul standing in the shower with her. She gasped, then glared at him “jesus! You scared the hell outta me I thought you were a killer holy shit!” Paul rolled his eyes and smiled as he took a couple steps closer to her “sorry I scared you just thought that we could conserve water…” he said with a smirk on his face. At that Ava moved her arm up towards the showerhead and pointed it directly at Paul’s face. To which Paul gasped at the cold spray, as Ava quickly turned the hot water to cold. Suddenly through the spray of the shower, Paul grabs Ava’s waist and picks her up and holds her in the path of the cold spray. Ava squeals at the cold sensation and tries to bat Paul’s hands away from her waist. Then Ava smirks at Paul as her eyes change color and she forcefully pushes Paul’s hands off of her and quickly pins him up against the shower wall smiling up at him with her glowing eyes. “you shouldn’t have done that….” Ava says playfully as Paul smiles down at her and replies “well you deserved it…” as Paul looks at her eyes changing colors “isn’t that going to not end well…” Paul said gesturing towards her eyes. “that only happens if I use them at night…if I use them during the day nothing is gonna happen…” “that’s good,” Paul replied as he took Ava in his arms and hugged her “because seeing you unconscious like how you were months ago scared the hell outta me…” “mmmmm….” Ava replied, laying her head on Pauls shoulder closing her eyes and just listening to Pauls steady heartbeat. Ava moved her head closer to Paul’s neck and she felt him flinch slightly and she looked up at him. “are you ok?” she asked to which Paul responded “are you going to bite me…” Ava’s eyebrows furrowed at this as she moved from Paul’s shoulder and looked up and him and laughed slightly at his question “oh sweetie…I wouldn’t bite you…plus that’s now how that works…well for me at least…” Ava replied with a smile on her face as she continued saying “anyhow you would know when I was going to…” as her eyes changed to a dark red as she opened her mouth revealing fangs, to which Paul’s eyes grow big, as Ava goes back to resting her head on his shoulder, near his neck as she slowly grazes his neck with her fangs, as Paul gasped at sensation. Ava laughed slightly as she goes underneath the spray of the water and continues to wash her hair out as Paul is still leaning against the shower wall. “trust me im not going to bite you ever….i don’t have cravings for human blood…it just tastes wrong….” As she goes back over to him and pulls him into the shower spray and gets a generous amount of shampoo in her hands and begins to slowly massage it into his hair. Paul closes his eyes, enjoying the feeling, as Ava moves out of the way of the spray of the shower, letting it wash over Paul’s hair, washing out the suds, as Ava grabs the conditioner and puts a small amount in her hair, working it into her scalp. “so you crave….well if its not human blood..what then?” Paul asked while continuing to wash the shampoo out of his hair. Ava stopped working the conditioner in her hair and stopped for a minute, contemplating whether if she should answer his question. Then she shrugged and said “well…I have more of a taste for…well what I am actually…” as she moved to angle the showerhead down more to wash her hair of the conditioner. Paul looked down at her with an unreadable expression on his face as he said “that’s….interesting….i guess..” Ava’s eyebrows raised at him “don’t you mean ‘Ava…that’s so fucking weird…’” Paul laughed slightly “why do you even crave it?” “my husband the one that made me this way…well lets just say he didn’t teach control that well..we both were kinda bloodcrazy together back a couple centuries ago” As Paul sighs. “what…oh my god your jealous of him…oh my god” Ava said while laughing at Paul. “well..kinda I wish I would’ve met you then…” Paul said stepping closer to Ava, as Ava shook her head and laughed at his comment “oh sweetie..you wouldn’t have wanted to…I mean then you would be old….and kinda dead and I would be too…” as Ava shut off the water to the shower and they both stepped out of the shower wrapping towels around themselves.
“we better get dressed Dakota is probably going to be knocking on the door soon” Ava said as she quickly wraps her hair in a towel and walks out of the bathroom, with Paul following. “yeah cant have her catching me like this again…” Paul said as he went to pick out clothes from his suitcase to wear. Ava rolled her eyes at his comment “she only freaked cause…well we were about to…you know…and well im her little cousin in her eyes still that’s why she freaked out…I think I might to if I was in her position walking in on someone half naked sitting next to her you know…” Ava said while also rifling through her own suitcase, picking out jeans and a maroon top. “yeah I guess” Paul said sitting on the bed looking down at his suitcase “im gonna go get ready and then when im out of the bathroom you can go and change okay…” Ava said as she leaned down and kissed Paul’s cheek, then walked back into the bathroom with her clothes to change. Once Ava changed she came out of the bathroom, wearing the dark wash jeans and the top, brushing her hair. She stopped watching Paul struggling trying to get into the jeans that he had in his hands, hopping comically around while muttering obscenities. Ava started laughing, prompting Paul to look in her direction with a slight annoyed expression on his face. “ha ha ha..its so funny that I cant get into these damn jeans” as Ava walked up to him and put her hands on his shoulders, stopping the hopping as she pulled the jeans up without any problems and looked at him with a smile. “there, see…they fit” Ava said turning back around to continue brushing her hair as Paul glared at her “thanks for the help…” he said sarcastically at her as she laughed and spun around to stand on her tippytoes to kiss him. “mmm your welcome….” Ava replied as Paul took the hairbrush out of Ava’s hand and started to brush his own hair, a smile on his face the entire time.
Once they were both ready to go and get Dakota from her hotel room, Ava putting on her shoes, sitting on the bed, while Paul was staring at his reflection in the mirror by the television, checking his hair. “hey did you get a camera?” Ava asked, as Paul picked up the disposable camera that was laying on the little table in front of him and showed it to her in the reflection of the mirror. “great…lets go get her…” Ava said standing up as they both walked out of the hotel room. “ohh this is going to be so much fun today….” Ava said as they started walking down the hall. “yeah I know ive never been to California before so thisll be kinda fun doing the whole tourist thing” Paul replied smiling down at her. “hey you wanna see if Ace or Peter wants to come along?” Ava asked. “yeah sure why not” Paul replied as they continued walking down the hall. After walking for a bit they stopped in front of Ace and Peter’s room. Ava knocked on the door. From inside she heard female giggling, accompanied by male laughter. “oh boy….looks like one of ‘em had company last night” Ava said to Paul. Paul sighed and knocked on the door, this time louder, becoming impatient. “ACE HELLO” to which the door opened slightly, revealing Ace. “hey…whats up guys…” Ace said with a smile on his face. Just as Ava was going to answer, a woman’s voice was hear saying “hey Ace whose at the door” as they heard footsteps approaching, as the woman clearly with a sheet wrapped around her body moved herself into view shocking both Ava and Paul. “what the fuck….” Paul and Ava said both eyes wide. “Dakota what the fuck…” as Dakota just stood there clutching the sheet tighter, turning slightly red at her little cousin.