Caught Between Two Worlds

ch.15

Ch.15
April 7, 1974 Detroit Michigan, Michigan Palace 5pm

Ava was sitting down in the dressing room looking at her reflection in the mirror. “ok don’t freak out tonight…just be yourself…be Ava…don’t get stagefright…just pretend that your singing in the shower….” Ava chanted to herself trying to not psych herself out. As she sat in the chair with her eyes closed, Paul came up behind her and put his hands over her eyes. “guess who?” “ugh…maybe I don’t wanna know who it is” Ava groaned as she removed his hands from her face. “hey don’t be nervous your going to do fine and if you mess up we’re there to cover for you alright..” “yeah I guess so…” “good now…want any help with your makeup” Paul asked as he sat down in a chair next to her “no I remember the design and the steps…clown white….then powder then outline the design..clean the inside of the design…put black on for the design..then baby powder..” “good..” Paul responded absentmindedly as he got out his makeup supplies and laid them out on the table. “by the way…you did figure out a costume for yourself right?” “oh yeah….and your going to love it” Ava replied leaning over to kiss Paul on the side of his face. “oh really…im gonna like it? Can I take a peek at it before the show?” Ava smirked “nope it’s a surprise the only person besides myself who has seen it is Dakota, who helped put it together with me” “ok…..i guess I can wait” Paul pouted in the mirror trying to convince Ava otherwise. To which Ava laughed at as she started to apply the clown white makeup all over her face, as Ace, Peter and Gene came into the room and sat down in front of their own mirrors and began applying makeup to their faces as well.
2 hours later….
Once Ava was done applying the black makeup to her face she got up from the chair and applied baby powder the black makeup. She walked back over to her chair and stood in front of it checking her bandit makeup. When she saw that everything was in perfect order she walked out of the makeup room to change into her costume. As she walked into the adjacent room, she saw Dakota sitting on couch, anxiously waiting for her. “hey…you look great!” Dakota said, referring to the makeup job. “thanks…Paul showed me earlier how to do the design..it took FOREVER…ugh I don’t know how they can sit there for two hours…” “mmmm…well you better get used to it…cause your in this for the long haul..remember that….” “yeah yeah yeah” Ava grumbled back. “here….”Dakota said while handing Ava the bag that was in her hand. “so this is everything…the platform heels….the corset top, jacket, the stockings, garters, the bottoms” “yep..your gonna look so hot wearing this…Paul’s gonna go crazy….” Ava rolled her eyes “I would prefer that he doesn’t drool over me all night…I don’t want Gene pissed at me for the rest of the night if I mess up Paul…” “oh…its gonna be fine..now go change…come on!” Dakota said excitement in her voice as she led Ava towards a changing area in the room.
As Ava walked towards the changing area, Paul walked into the room, in full Starchild makeup and costume. “so is Ava ready yet?” Paul asked Dakota. “almost shes getting her costume on right now….you wouldn’t believe how long it took me to get all the stuff for it at such short notice….” “hey im just happy that she rocked that audition…she gonna do great tonight I just know it…” “HEY…Dakota? Can you come in here and help me please…” Ava called. “yeah on my way” Dakota said as she went behind a curtain that was in the room to help Ava. “so what do you need help with….” Ava groaned “well I obviously cant go out there without this stupid thing tied….ugh…this is bringing back memories…and not good ones…” Dakota laughed “yeah I know what you mean….the from the 1600s on they were big remember…” “YES! I remember how much I missed breathing fully..” As Ava groaned in pain as Dakota started lacing up the corset. “I don’t know why they were the IN thing in the 1600s in Europe and then freakin’ America had to join in the fad until the late 1800s..” “yeah and then we went back to America we still had to wear the stupid things…bleh….so if you don’t like this then why did you have me get it for you to wear…” Ava sighed “I don’t know I thought they had changed since then but nope..i was wrong…” Once Dakota was done lacing the corset, she patted Ava’s back “okay its done..how do you feel?” Ava turned around, to which Dakota whistled at her appearance, as Ava was going to walk out from the curtain, but stopped her, grabbing her wrist “Wait your hair…it’s blonde…” “so?” Ava replied “well everyone else in the band is black so…” as Dakota put her hand in the hair gesturing towards it as her eyes changed from there normal hazel color to lime green as Ava’s hair turned to black. Ava looked down at her hair and then back at Dakota whose eyes changed back to their normal color. “Dakota…you didn’t have to do that what if?” “oh…don’t worry about me…it’s still daylight out…” “well thanks…come on…” As Ava pulled Dakota and herself from behind the curtain, where Paul was waiting.
When Paul got a look at Ava he whistled in approval, while Ava spun around in a circle to give him a full-view of her new costume. “so you like..” as she pulled her thigh high stocking up higher on her legs, and fixed the garters that would keep the stockings in place. “yeah but its missing something…” Paul replied as he walked over to a rack that was sitting in the room that kept the band’s costumes, and he pulled a dry cleaning bag from it and opened it revealing a leather jacket. “here’s what it needs” as he walks to her and stands behind her and puts it on her. “aww…aren’t you guys cute together…” Peter said standing in the doorframe of the room in full makeup and costume. Paul rolled his eyes and gently kissed Ava, trying to not get their makeup messed up. “well damn…I think your going to the be the star onstage tonight holy shit” as Peter took in Ava’s costume. “thanks..its nothing if I had had more time..i would’ve gotten something together that matched your costumes” “by the way great makeup job…so Paul let you use it or did you steal the idea?” Peter asked smiling huge “no she didn’t steal it..i let her have it…it matches her personality better anyway…” Paul answered as he walked up to Peter, who moved out of the way to allow him to get back into the makeup room. “what did he go back in there for?” Dakota asked. “probably to see how Ace and Gene are doing on their makeup..theirs takes longer then ours…and by the looks of it” Peter said while glancing at a clock that was in the room “its almost show time so they better be ready…”
At that Ace cackled loudly behind them “hey Peter…don’t get your whiskers in a bunch…we’re all good” As Ace walked into the room to join them, with Paul and Gene not far behind. “good because we have to go on in a few minutes…” “ALRIGHT Im so ready!” Paul yelled, as Gene just stood there looking at Ava “is that your costume?” “yeah…all I could get together last night…” “hey Gene don’t bag on her costume she looks fine…” Ace said with a slight slur. “great..your drunk already” Gene replied while he walked out of the room in a huff. “man what’s his problem” Peter asked. “hes pissed cause I actually nailed the audition…probably thinks im gonna take away from his stage presence…hes like a woman…” Ava said with a smirk on her face. Dakota rolled her eyes “who cares about what Gene thinks…you guys are going to do great tonight alright now come on…” As she walked out of the room with the rest following.
As soon as they walked out the of makeup and changing rooms, they quickly got on the side of the stage, just in time as one of the crew members shouted “YOU WANTED THE BEST! YOU GOT THE BEST! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE LAND!KISSSSSSSS!” And with that each band member made their way onstage, while the crowd went wild, as they opened with Deuce.

Get up
And get your grandma outta here
Pick up
Old Jim is workin' hard this year
And baby
Do the things he says to do

Baby, if you're feeling good
And baby if you're feeling nice
You know your man is workin' hard
He's worth a deuce

Honey
Don't put your man behind his years
And baby
Stop cryin' all your tears
Baby
Do the things he says to do
Do it

Baby, if you're feeling good
And baby if you're feeling nice
You know your man is workin' hard
He's worth a deuce

And baby, if you're feeling good
Yes baby if you're feeling nice
You know your man is workin' hard
Yeah
After the last note on Paul’s guitar the stage lights turn off. Ava stands next to Paul in the darkness and hears the crowd cheering for more. When the lights turn back on Ava looks out into the crowd of cheering people and smiles. “HEY PEOPPPPLLLLEEEE HOW YOU DOIN’ OUT THERE!!!” Paul screams out to the crowd, to which they scream back in response. “GOOD….now you might be thinking ‘who’s this chick on the stage tonight?’ Well I would like to introduce our new band member..AVA! Everybody give her a hand!” As the crowd cheers and Ava blushes slightly but thanks to the makeup goes unseen as she bows to the audience.
When she rights herself she looks out at the audience once again and see Dakota standing in the front row smiling up and winking at her. Ava looks farther crowd scanning the people when her eyes meet with someone else’s. Ava looks over at Paul who is doing the intro into the next song already, Strutter, talking about all the girls walking around in New York, which earns another cheer. When Paul starts to do the riff, Ava grabs his hand “hey I need to talk to you about something…” Paul looks up at her annoyed “really Ava? Right now we just started our set” “YES now come on…” as she starts dragging Paul off stage leaving the rest of the band members on stage dumbfounded. Once off stage Paul pulls out of her grasp “why did you just drag me offstage! In front of a packed house! Do you realize how important this show is…” Ava sighed “yes I do understand but I was just looking out at the audience and…I think I just saw cody out there..” “WHAT?!” Paul starts racking his fingers through his hair nervously. “you know what im gonna get Dakota hold on….” As Ava goes back out onstage and looks down at Dakota and points at her for and does a come here gesture with her finger and walks bristly back off stage, with the other band members following her slightly peeved at the situation. “hey why did you drag Paul off stage like that?” Ace asked setting his guitar down. “yeah…we barely started the set…” Peter added. “my cousin that’s why” Ava said simply as she walked up to Paul who was talkin to Dakota, clearly upset. “What do you mean that hes out there now” Dakota said to Paul. “that’s what Ava just told me! Isn’t your job to watch the crowd to make sure he wouldn’t do something like this?” “Paul!” Ava shouted standing between the two, “stop its not her fault that she didn’t sense him alright…now if her and I stop him now…without anyone noticing…we can continue on with the set alright….you know what…continue on without me and Dakota and I will go and take care of this right now…” Ava said as she walked away from Paul, Dakota following her back to the makeup room, behind the stage.
Once there they both ran in, Dakota helping Ava remove her costume in a flash. Dakota ran across the room, grabbing a washcloth and baby oil, putting some on the cloth and handing it to Ava would proceeded to quickly wipe the makeup off her face. After the makeup is removed, Ava grabs the clothes that she came with on and put them on. “come on lets get this over with so maybe you can go back on…” Dakota said. “I hope so…and remember…don’t use your powers to there full extent..its night…we usually aren’t suppose to remember….” Ava replied with caution in her voice “ugh right….stupid curse…” Dakota groaned as they both made there way out of the makeup room and into the crowd.
Once amongst the audience they both started scanning trying to find him. When suddenly he stood before them with a menacing grin on his face. “well hello there…ava….sister” Cody said to both girls. “so I thought you understood that the last attack was just a warning for you to go away from them, to stop getting involved….” “how was I suppose to know that you weren’t going to come back and kill them all…” Cody laughed at this “well now that was for me to know and for you to find out….maybe…” Ava glared at Cody “so you were planning on killing them..not on my watch your not…” as Ava’s eyes changed colors to a blazing red as she stared at Cody, who suddenly was thrown on the ground gasping for breath. “hey ava….ava…stop….you cant use that much power” Dakota warned, as Ava continued to suffocate him, until Dakota grasped Ava’s arms and shook her, losing her grasp on Cody who, as suddenly was in front of them was gone in a blink of the eye. Ava turned around looking at Dakota pissed “look what you’ve done I had him…now hes anywhere in this place….probably hurting people…” “I couldn’t just let you use your powers to there full effect at night, we don’t know how itll effect you…” Ava groaned “well lets just go try and find him…and ill just remove him from the area then…” “ok lets go…” Dakota replied, as they both started walking around the theater.
As Ava was walking around she wasn’t seeing him anywhere. So she decided to check out the crowd near the front of the stage. As she was doing so, she saw Peter’s drumset begin to rise, as the audience began cheering louder. But she also noticed the look on Peter’s face, who looked worried at what was going on. So she ran backstage to see what was up. When she got onto the side of the stage she screamed “peter what’s wrong!” Peter looked over to where Ava was screaming and responded “my drumset…its rising too high…its not suppose to go this high!” Ava eyes widened “cody…cody’s doing this I know it…Peter GET OFF IT! JUMP!” and with that Peter jumped off the drumset and comes flying at her. Both Peter and Ava land on the ground with a thud. Peter gets up off of Ava and helps her up. “hey im sorry I landed on you…honestly I don’t think I should’ve landed that far away..that was weird do you think that he might’ve done that?” Ava clutched her head in pain and responded with “Peter….cody did do that…” “of course I did…” cody responded from behind them. “I mean since you just made it that much more difficult for me to kill him” as he quickly runs and stops standing behind Peter who tries to get away but is to slow as Cody holds him in place as he grips Peter’s shoulders in an iron grip. “your not going anywhere” cody says as he strikes Peter’s neck with his teeth and drinks from him as Peter screams in agony. “STOP!” Ava screams as her eyes turn a bright red and flings Cody off of Peter, who falls to the ground unconscious. Ava runs over to him and starts to heal his wound. “please be ok….please be ok….” She cried as she noticed that her healing powers weren’t working. “no no no no no….why isn’t it working…” as she pushed harder for it to work, as Dakota runs up and sees the scene before her. “AVA! PETER! WHAT HAPPENED!” “cody….” Ava replied “I cant….i cant….let him die” Ava cried as she pushed harder to get him to heal faster, as her nose starts bleeding. “Ava stop…we can take him to the hospital….you don’t know what will happen if you continue to push it…” Dakota said pushing Ava’s hands away from Peter. “NO!!!!” Ava screamed at Dakota as she put her hands back near his neck. Dakota looked at Ava and noticed her eyes were different. Then she noticed that instead of her normal blue-green color, or any other color depending on if she were using her powers, that they were just black. Dakota gasped at this. “AVA STOP somethings happening to you….” Dakota cried as she once again pries Ava’s hands away from Peter’s neck and begins to shake her. “please don’t tell Paul what happened…please…” Ava told Dakota before she passed out from exhaustion.
Dakota held Ava, as Paul, Ace and Gene run up. “I told you we should’ve stopped” Paul screamed at Gene. Paul kneeled down and searched Peter’s neck for a pulse. “oh thank god…hes still with us…” Paul said.Then a crew member came up and Paul told him to get Peter to a hospital, as additional crew members came up to help pick him up and take him to an emergency room. Once that was done, Paul looked over and saw Dakota holding Ava. “she saved him….even though she knew that it was gonna hurt her…she saved him” Dakota cried holding Ava. Paul racked his hands through his hair “let me take her….” Paul kneeled down and scooped Ava up in his arms and walked offstage, with Dakota following. Paul looked down at Ava and gently tucked a strand of black hair from her face and kissed her forehead. “im gonna take care of you…don’t worry..” as Paul and Dakota walked out of the back exit and towards the car that was waiting, back to the hotel room.