Status: the more comments, the more likely I am to update

The "Everything Better" Plan

Chapter Two.

First day of classes, Alex could do this. He just needed to breathe and go for it. He arrived to class early, skipping breakfast due to feeling sick from nerves. He panicked all the way to the lecture hall about whether he was going the right way but was too shy to ask for help. He would probably just annoy and get in the way of the people he asked anyway. Upon finding the right hall and entering Alex found a safe seat at the edge and near the back, being at the back meant that he didn't have as many eyes facing him which was important to him as his anxiety peeked when in the spotlight. Alex often began to shake and it would cause him to close his eyes tightly, sometimes having to stop talking all together until he could regain control.

As the room became more crowded Alex took out his laptop to write notes on, only doing so after seeing others around him doing the same. He kept his head bowed but forward hoping to not catch anyone’s eye as they entered the hall or turned in their seats to look for friends. The room was rather quiet for the amount of people which Alex was grateful for.

At ten o'clock precisely a man dressed in a black suit jacket and blue t-shirt walked in. He was also wearing black skinny jeans and Nike trainers which had Alex give him questioning looks for. Weren't lecturers supposed to dress like teachers? Not that Alex was complaining the man looked smart, his hair spiked in a faux-hawk, half of it blond... screw smart the man looked hot.

"I'm Mr Barakat and I will be here to guide you in the process of learning about physiotherapy. I don’t know how many of you will be a physiotherapist in the future but taking this degree can lead to other jobs also. You will spend your first year here with me learning all the boring text book stuff you need to know. If you pass the exam, which I hope you all do, you will move on to do a placement in the working environment most likely in a hospital to complete the degree. Any questions before I move straight in to teaching?”

"How much of the work will be online?" Alex heard one girl ask.

"I'll be honest and say I don't know, I think it's about half and half. This is my first time teaching do I don't know everything about the process."

"Will we have to buy anymore text books through the year?" A boy asked from near Alex.

"No, you should have already bought all the text books you need." Just watching his lecturer talk and smile told Alex he wasn't going to have a problem watching what he was doing, though he was going to have a hard time concentrating on it.

“Who do we go to if we need help?”

“I’m glad you asked that, what's your name?”

“Jasey,”

“Jasey. You can come to me if you need help with anything. Whether it’s your work, trouble with a friend or you just need someone to talk to. I want to be the kind of teacher that is easy to talk to so if no one comes to me I’ll know I’m doing something wrong.” The room filled with quiet laughter for a moment and Alex grinned as he saw his teachers smile grow wider. “Okay I think we should start now, yeah?” A few groans were heard from the students. “I may be fun but I have a job to do.” He chuckled.

The lecture went on until twelve and by that time Alex’s fingers were tired from typing as fast as he could to write down as much information as possible. They hadn't been given homework on the first day much to everyone’s delight.

Alex took his books and laptop back to his room before finding the box his mother had filled with food. He found a tin of spaghetti hoops and with a sigh he stood to his feet and nervously made his way to the shared kitchen. He was pleased to see no one was currently in the kitchen and made quick work of finding a pan and wooden spoon. He opened the can with the electric opener plugged into the wall next to the cheap looking microwave and then tipped its contents into the pan. As it began to heat up on the stove Alex found a plate and cutlery and then, as he didn’t have milk or any other cold drink, he took a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water. Alex was happy to eat in silence but his peace was interrupted by Rian walking in.

“Hey Alex how was your first day?”

“It was okay.” Alex replied quietly. He was thankful that Rian was such a good talker and that he didn’t seem to mind making up most of Alex’s side of the conversation as well as his own.

"How was your lecturer?"

"He's good, quite young for a teacher."

"His name?"

"Mr Barakat."

"Well as long as you like him I guess it’s okay."

"You sound like my mother." Alex's eyes widened after he spoke surprised at his own confidence.

Rian chuckled and sat down in the chair opposite Alex. "So do you feel like going out tonight?"

"Um what are you planning?" Alex cursed Mr Barakat for giving them no homework.

"Zack and I are just getting drinks, Cass and Tay might join us."

"And you want me to go?"

"I'd like to get to know my roommate but I'm not forcing you." Rian smiled kindly at Alex and he couldn't say no, however much he wanted to decline.

"Sure, I'll go."

"Awesome we'll be leaving at six."

Alex spent the rest of the day watching YouTube videos and scrolling through his tumblr, something he was trying hard to get away from as it used to take up all of his time. He decided at five that he needed a shower and took his time making sure he looked half way decent by wearing his favourite jeans, a pair with the American flag printed across the thighs, and a black t-shirt under a black jacket. Rian had come in while he was in the bathroom and after Rian had also used the shower they were leaving to meet with Rian's friends.

"So Alex how are you finding college?" Tay asked as the small group sat down at their table in the bar Rian had insisted they go to.

"It's okay." Alex responded quietly as he contemplated what he was going to drink. He couldn't have alcohol as he wasn't eighteen until December but he knew the rest were all a year older than him and would probably be drinking.

"What are you drinking?" Zack asked as a waitress made her way over.

"Just water is fine."

Tay frowned and, from her seat beside Alex an rested her hand on his leg subtly. "No alcohol?"

"I-I'm not eighteen." He stuttered in embarrassment.

"Oh." Tay looked down at her lap but didn't remove her hand.

"What can I get you guys?" The waitress asked as she reached them.

"Four ciders and a water please," Cassadee replied, smiling to their waitress.

"Can I see ID from the people having alcohol?" Alex slouched slightly in his seat, cheeks going a rose colour as his roommate and his friends took out their ID's. He felt stupid being here with them, he didn't fit in.

"I'm staying in Cass' room because her roommates gone home so you'll have the room to yourself." Rian told Alex as the waitress left to get their drinks.

"Okay." Alex tried to a

smile confidently. When their drinks arrived the talk soon started up between the group of friends leaving Alex to feel even more like he wasn't welcome, though Rian tried to involve him. The younger felt bad for Rian, he was trying to be his friend and he wasn't making it easy.

On their way home around ten Rian and Cassadee left to head back to her room and Zack also said his goodbyes to Tay and Alex, leaving them to walk alone together. "So why don't we go back to your room." Tay smirked at Alex as she ran her hand over his arm.

"Um, uh, I'm actually kind of tired but thanks for the offer."

Tay rolled her eyes at the shy boy. As they reached outside of the main door to Alex's apartment block she stopped him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I think you missed what I meant."

She leant up and kissed Alex, pulling him down. Alex's eyes widened and his hands came up to Tay's shoulders to push her back. "Stop, stop." He rushed out in a panic.

"Why?" Tay asked in an irritated tone.

"I-I don't-I'm-I don't like-I don't date girls."

"You're gay?" Alex nodded, embarrassed. "And no one knows?"

"No." Alex mumbled shyly.

"I won't tell." The look Tay gave Alex made him feel secure that she wouldn't tell and so he gave her a small smile. "Bye Alex."

"Bye." Alex waved her off as she left and decided then and there that he wasn't going to be going to anymore bars with Rian.