Status: the more comments, the more likely I am to update

The "Everything Better" Plan

Chapter Three.

Alex was coping. The work was manageable and Rian wasn’t pushy when it came to trying to involve him in whatever his friends were planning. He missed his old bedroom and he missed his high school friends but it could have been a lot worse. He was eating less than he was at home; causing ever so slight weight loss but nothing he couldn’t gain again over Christmas. All in all Alex was pretty happy at college, only he didn’t really have friends or anyone to study with. Alex made the decision to see his teacher about getting a tutor after class and so as soon as the worst of the traffic had left the room Alex slipped through the slower walkers to Mr Barakat’s desk.

“Uh, Mr Barakat,” Alex asked cautiously, unsure of himself. He had never been the kind of person to go up and do something for himself, he often found it hard to even order at Starbucks, preferring to give whoever was with him (he’d never go alone) his money to order together to get out of it.

The tall male looked up from his desk with a bright smile, “Hi can I help you with anything?”

“Um, I’m-I’m a student of yours, obviously, and I-I was wondering if y-you knew of anyone I could go t-to for a tu-tutor?” Alex was mortified, he couldn’t recall another time he had stuttered so much in his teenage life.

“What would you like a tutor for? Different tutors specialise in different fields.” He was still wearing that bright, almost comforting, smile and it made Alex relax just a little.

“Just with the general work, I learn better if I have someone learning with me.”

“Well I’m available here after class and later on in the evening in my apartment if you would like, I am teaching the subject after all.”

“I wouldn’t want to take up your time, Sir.”

“I’m here anyway and it’s always quiet in here. By the way you can call me Jack when we’re out of class, my other students do.”

Alex nodded as he shifted from his right foot to his left. “Okay, thank you, um how do I get in touch with you about when to meet up?" Way to see overeager Alex, Alex thought to himself as Jack reached into his pocket, taking out his phone.

“I assume you have one of these?” Alex nodded. “Then we can arrange via text, if that’s alright with you?”

“Yeah that’s fine.” Alex replied, reaching into his pocket to retrieve his own phone.

“Just give me your number then.” Jack smiled with what Alex could have sworn was a hint of a smirk.

It was a couple days later, while Alex was in the shower, that he received a text from Jack. Rian had automatically picked up the black iPhone, their phones being exactly the same with the same text tone, and was momentarily confused at the name on the screen. “Alex I think you got a text from someone called Jack Barakat. Isn’t that your teacher?”

A few minutes later Alex was pulling his clothes on with still damp skin in a rush to read the message. “He gave me his number so that I could contact him about tutoring.” He mumbled as he fumbled with his phone as Rian looked at him curiously.

“Couldn’t you have just emailed?”

Alex looked up briefly from his phone and shrugged. “Quicker? More efficient?” Rian shrugged it off as he watched Alex pull on his converse.

“Where are you going?”

“To meet up with Jack,” Alex really didn’t feel he had to tell Rian his every move but the male had a very mother-like authority to him and always checked where Alex would be. It was sweet but incredibly irritating.

“Oohh has someone got a date with an older man?” Rian teased.

“Dude he’s my teacher.”

“You’re of legal consenting age so what does it matter?”

“It’s illegal maybe? And anyway why do you assume I’m gay?” An edge came to Alex’s tone, worried that Tay had let it slip to Rian, worried that she had let it slip to anyone.

“I can just tell.”

Alex rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” He picked up his bag with all his books and double checked that his phone was in his pocket. “Bye.”

“Bye, don’t have too much fun!” Rian called as he left.

***

Alex bit his lip as he knocked on the apartment door, praying to whatever was out there that it was the right one. A wave of relief washed over him as his teacher opened the door. “Hey Alex, my roommate decided not to go out with his friends tonight but he promised not to bother us, right Matt?”

“Right,” A voice spoke from somewhere behind Jack. “I’ll stay in my room and watch Disney movies.”

“Don’t perv on the princesses; you do that enough with Mickey Mouse.” Jack laughed.

A man holding a beer and a ring through his lip was grinning as Alex entered and he lifted his beer in a sort of wave of hello. “I’m Matt, nice to meet you Alex.”

“Hey.” Alex half waved back.

“Okay go to you room we have stuff to do.”

“Define ‘stuff'."

Matt.”

“Okay, okay I’m leaving sorry.” Matt left the two alone and Alex watched as Jack rubbed his face with the palms of his hands.

“Sorry, he’s not usually an asshole.” Alex didn’t know what to say so he gave Jack what he hoped was a look that said ‘I don’t really care about what your roommates like can we just study’. He seemed to get the message because he clapped his hands together sharply. “Right, let’s go to the living room.”

An hour and a half later and Alex wasn’t sure if he could take much more information. They had only covered what they had already gone through but it was a lot in one night and Alex felt as if his head was about to explode. “Okay I think I get it all…” Alex spoke unsurely.

“You don’t seem sure.” Jack responded.

“I can’t take much more for tonight.” Alex admitted shyly.

“Hah, that’s what she said.” Jack’s eyes widened and his hands flew up to cover his mouth. “Sorry that just- I didn’t mean to say that.”

Alex laughed, covering his own mouth to hide it. That in turn caused Jack to start laughing and soon they were both in hysterics, awkwardness forgotten. Alex slowed his breathing until he was calm enough to speak, although he was still trying to catch his breath. “I-I don’t mind.”

Jack sat straight again, his breathing finally back to normal, “Sorry I couldn’t help it, it was inappropriate.”

“I really don’t mind.” Alex reassured him as he began gathering his books up.

Jack nodded in acknowledgment. “Okay well I can see you after your next class to go over what we did if that sounds alright? Easier than doing loads at once,”

Alex agreed with the idea and thanked Jack before leaving. When Matt heard the door close he ran from his room to where Jack was making his way to the kitchen. “You so have a thing for him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so my excuse for this mess is that i was away at reading festival (i met of mice & men!!) and then my cousins were up and i have a two day college induction next week and so i have to move my stuff into where i'm staying and then i start college properly the following week so i've been super stressed and busy and bc of the absence i've lost where i was going with my writing. i'll hopefully get back into it though