Status: In the works!

Change

Chapter One

I step off the bus ready to play soccer and play hard because today both my mom and dad will be at my game. A first this year, it was usually it is one or the other. Never both! I take my headphones out of my ears as best friend Clemmy says something to me. I smile and laugh because that is just something Clemmy always seems to be able to do. We sit down on the bench and start putting on our cleats and shin guards. I look up in the bleachers but don’t see my parents. Where could they be?

Warm- ups begin and my parents still aren’t there, it isn’t like them to be running late, but maybe I am just being paranoid. There is still thirty minutes left before the game begins, so they still have plenty of time.

As warm-ups wind down, my parents still aren’t there and our coach calls us in for a talk. My high school soccer coach has been my coach since I was in the sixth grade and ever since then he has been a friend to my parents and like a pushy big brother to me, and he always seems to pick on me, mainly because he knows I have a great potential for a future in soccer. He is far from a people pleaser and is super sarcastic so to get on his good side you need to make yourself notice on and even off the field. He calls out starters and we line up to be called out and introduced. Where I come from soccer is huge. Bigger than football, and that is still really big where I am from. Everyone tries out for the team, but only a select few make it.

We line up to be introduced to the crowd. “Number fourteen. Junior, Reina Joyous.” The announcer calls my name. I step out and look for my parents.

Not there. Where could they be?

I step back into the line and look at Clemmy who is down the line from me a ways. She looks at me and shrugs her shoulders. She knows I have been looking for my parents since we got here. They are just not type of people that are late.

The game begins and they are still not there. I have a terrible feeling in my stomach, like something is awfully wrong. The thing is that when I looked out at the crowd, I can’t see their familiar faces. Maybe they are just running a bit late…
--------------------

Second half starts and they are still not there. I start to panic out on the field and end up doing a terrible job.

My coach decided to pull me out of the game for a little talk. I take a seat on the bench. “Reina. What is your problem? You cannot get anything done on the field, that just isn’t like you.” My coach says as he towers over me. I break down and let a tear fall. He kneels down and looks at me.

“I’m sorry. I... I just have this terrible feeling about my parents.” I look past him and still they have not shown up. “They are not the type of people to be late. You know that, Coach.”

He looks over at the stands full of people and doesn’t see them in sight. “Are you positive something could be wrong?”

“I know something is wrong. If they are late they will text me.” I pause. “I checked at half and no text. No missed calls. Something is wrong.” I look up at him now where he is digging in his bag for something. He pulls out his car keys since he drove to the match. He hands his clipboard to our assistant coach, explaining everything and starts for his car.

“Let’s go.” He sighs.

“I just have had a terrible gut feeling all afternoon, Coach.” I said as he heads out, me trailing not far behind.

“Come on.” He says tossing me my warm-ups that were strewn on top of my bag. As I run off the field I see my teammates turn and take a quick glance.

We start heading home on a search for my parents. I look out the window as we start coming to a slow stop along the familiar curvy roadway.

Flashing lights just up the bend.