Status: In the works!

Change

Chapter Eleven

I spend the rest of the day out on the front porch painting my nails and reading a book. I really wish Clemmy were here with me. I could really use one of her talks, but I have been ignoring her calls and texts for the past week. I truly am a terrible best friend. I grab my phone to send a text to Clemmy, I’m sorry. I am without a doubt the worst friend on the face of this earth.

My phone almost buzzes back immediately. It isn’t Clemmy though, it is Coach FaceTiming me. Now I have to face this guy too? There is only so much he could want to talk about.

“Hey Coach.”

"Reina, you look a lot better than I thought you would. How is everything going?"

“Good I suppose, I could always be better.” What a guy, he is just too sincere.

"Great, well you are probably wondering why I am calling you."

“Yes I am, Coach.” I laugh as I see the soccer team training behind him. I miss summer training a little too much.

"Well since you don’t live here any more colleges can’t really get a hold of you at your house." I nod for him to continue. I knew college soccer was a possibility, I just never thought they would come after me, instead I thought would come to them. "So they have been calling me instead. Reina, you wouldn’t believe the offers you are receiving so far."

Smiling now at my very own accomplishment, “You are kidding me right? Who all is offering?”

"Well for one Stanford is, which is just a wonderful school." He was only saying that because that’s where he played soccer in college and not to mention he was a genius. My dad also went there for business, so our family naturally was huge fans of anything Stanford. No wonder the two got along so well. "You have the University of Nevada looking at you and yesterday I got a call from the coaches at UCLA. Reina, this is a big accomplishment and I hope you take these offers very seriously."

“Stanford, huh?” My dad would be so happy to hear that. Heck, I am happy to hear that, they must have found something good in me due to the fact that it is one of the most prestigious academic universities in the world. No Med. School for me though, I will probably just follow in my father’s business footsteps and work for the firm my father built with his two college roommates.

"You have lot to think about this year, Reina. If at all possible I would like you to fly out here and meet with some of them. I know for sure Stanford brings in all their athletic prospects on the same weekend. We can plan around that and visit the other schools too. You will need your aunt or uncle to come along as well."

“What weekend would that be?”

"It is the last weekend in July so you better still be training hard, Reina." Training was not something I have been keeping up on. I am definitely not in college athlete form, let alone even high school athlete. My coach goes silent as he just stares at me on the screen. You haven’t been training have you?

“No.” I sigh, “It’s just every time I think about soccer I think about that day. Coach, I still feel like it is my fault.”

"You know very well that isn’t true at all. They loved to watch you play and I am positive that they are very proud of how far you have come as an athlete. I know for a fact Stanford is your first choice."

“I know, I know. I will get back to work. Send me some workouts to do and I will get on them.” I sigh as coach starts yelling at the girls training behind him. By now practice would soon be over and Clemmy would be able to text me back. “And yes, Stanford is at the top of my list.”

"You’re very growing list of colleges. I better go finish up practice. Have good day and go for a run."

“OK, I will.”

"That is an order, Reina. No more half-assing it any more."

“Yes sir.” I say with a small salute.

"And Reina, I look up from the “end call” button to see his face one last time. Your parents would be very proud of you right now."

“Thanks, Coach.” I whisper with a smile on my face, tears in my eyes now. I tap on the “end call” button as tears fall hot my face in this sticky humidity. Not sad tears today, but rather happy tears. I wish my parents could be here with me right now so I could share the news.

---------------------------

"Finally, I was hoping you hadn’t forgotten about me. Time is what you needed and I am glad you thought of me today. Congrats on Stanford, I bet your parents are smiling down on you right now. I miss you Rein. Maybe I can come visit you and the lame state of Iowa soon."

Clemmy is such a wonderful person and she always knew just want to say. “It actually isn’t all that lame after all.” I reply back to her.

"A change of heart, Rein? I bet it is a boy. ☺"

Her bet wasn’t too far off. Liam did have a little something to do with it.

----------------------------

My aunt and uncle showed up just in time for dinner as I finished making dinner. “Just in time!” I call as they make their way to the front porch. “How were the sales? Get anything good?”

“Just a few new horses to train.” My aunt mentions as she kisses my forehead as she makes her way passed me into the kitchen. “I think you might like them. One in particular.”

“It smells delicious, Joy.” My uncle says while making his way into the kitchen towards the dinner table set for three, overnight bag still in hand. “Do I smell enchiladas?”

“Your nose is correct, sir.” I laugh as I take a seat as well at the dinner table.

“It never fails me, Joy.” That nickname he has for me always brightens my day when I hear it.

As my aunt sits down we sit in silence as the three of us help ourselves to dinner. “Reina you look nice today, any reason?” My aunt questions while pointing her fork at me with my jean shorts, floral tank top, and my long blonde hair straightened down my back.

“Actually yes.” I start as I take a bite of my enchilada. “Do you two mind if I go to a bonfire with Liam?”

“Oh” My aunt says smugly with a smirk on her face as my uncle leans over to whisper to her. Do they know something I don’t?

“Are we going to let her go?” My uncle asks quietly even though I could still hear him. “Do I need to have a talk with him?”

Yeah, that answers my question from earlier.

“Nope, you do not, Charlie and yes we are letting her go.” My aunt whispers back, “She needs to have fun and this is Liam we are talking about.”

“Yeah but I know his true feelings about her,” My uncle chides pointing to me as he whispers to my aunt even though I could still hear him speaking, “Just once, I have never been able to do this.”

“Care to elaborate about these ‘true feelings’?” I ask pointing out what he had mentioned earlier. I follow my eyes back and forth between the two as they continue to bicker completely ignoring my last statement.

“I mean, I suppose it is alright with the two of us.” My uncle smiles, “You need to get out more, makes friends, and have fun.”

“But not too much fun.” My aunt chimes in.

“Understandable.” I nodded as the two of them feel accomplished with their decision. Liam’s truck turns into the driveway, headlights shining into the house. “Well, I better get going.”

“I need to have my talk with him though!” My uncle says sounding almost like a whine.

“No time to talk.” I smirk as I get up from the dinner table and tie my hair into a ponytail. “Anyways, it’s Liam we are talking about Charlie.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” He says with a sigh as I make my way out the door.

“Have a good time!” My aunt calls after me as the screen door closes.

“Oh and Reina,” My uncle calls after me as I turn to meet his gaze, “The feelings you have for him are mutual.” I scuff as I walk out the door. My uncle, always in on all the gossip, which is odd because I haven’t said a word about me liking Liam to anybody.

“Well don’t you look beautiful.” Liam smiles at me as I take my seat in the passenger’s side. His truck is strong with the scent of cologne as if he had just got done showering, which he had. His dark hair was messy and wet, sitting on top of his head. Every time I see him I just have to tell you how cute he is!

“Am I too dressy?” I ask turning myself to look at him, but he just waves me off as he wrinkles his nose. “Oh, and thank you.”

“Any time, Reina.” He winks as I shut the door and we take off down the gravel road.

It is pretty quiet for a while as Liam hums and sings along to the radio. “What do you want?” Liam asks with fake suspicion as he catches me looking at him.

“You are just surprisingly a good singer is all.” I counter.

“I mean I am just a jack of all trades, Reina.” Liam smiles. “I am just full of surprises.”

“Whatever you say.” I laugh a bit as Liam takes a sharp turn down another gravel road as he mutters a “sorry” for the turn.

After just a few more minutes down the gravel road we finally reach our destination. “It gets a bit buggy around here since we are close to water, but there should be bug spray somewhere in here.” Liam says as he searches the back seats of his messy truck. “I’m not the neatest person.” He smirks over at me as the two of us laugh as he tosses me a jacket. “Would you like a sweatshirt as well?”

“Well I guess so.” I says as I pull on the jacket that is quite large for me.

“Are you too worried about ticks?” He asks another question as he pulls on the hat I always see him wearing.

“Ticks?”

“You know, the things that jump from trees or tall grasses and burrow into your skin, mainly on your beautiful head.” Liam says matter of factly.

“Well now I am!” I say as Liam laughs and grabs under the front seats and comes up with any array of hats that look brand new. “You left me so unprepared for all of this, this afternoon.”

“Take your pick.” He says holding out different hats offering different college names on them.

“Stanford without a doubt.” I say as I grab the red Stanford hat and pull it onto my head, “What? You like them all you can’t choose a team.”

“Uh, yeah in a way, but Stanford, good choice. I like that school on you.” He says as he turns off the truck and runs around to the passenger’s side to help me out, this guy was completely adorable. If only he knew I actually loved Stanford. “Hope you have old shoes on too.” He says opening my door before I even have the chance to unbuckle my seatbelt.

“Why?”

“It is still pretty muddy from all the rain last night.” He states as he takes my hand and helps me out of the truck, even though I was completely capable of doing it on my own.

All I mutter is and “oh” as I look at all the other cars and no people, “Where is everybody anyways?” I say looking around at the empty house.

“We have a ways to walk to get there actually.” Liam says as I take his arm and sigh because I did not wear the right shoes for this. “You’re just so eager, Reina.” He says as he leads me through the darkness towards a timber that looks like just drops off into nowhere.

“How do we get down there?” I ask looking at the drop off to a valley where there is everyone around a large campfire. It looked pretty steep and a lot of trees with a lot of tree roots sticking out of the ground, just enough stuff to make me trip.

“It actually isn’t that bad, but you do not have the shoes for this task.” He says looking down at my now ruined Vans. “What are we going to do with you?”

I shrug my shoulders, “We could just turn around and go back home and watch a movie.” Nudging Liam as he looks down at me.

“What kind of guy do you think I am?” He asks as I look at him confused, “I prefer to at least be asked out on a date before even considering going home with a person.” He starts laughing as I slap his arm, but his laughter didn’t stop, which caused me to join in as well.

“QB, get down here.” We both hear causing our laughter to subside. “I know that’s you laughing up there!”

“Looks like we have been caught,” Liam whispers. “Can’t turn back now.” I sigh again as we start to make our way down the steep hill.

“Oh quit your sighing, I must have taken your eagerness for nervousness,” He says turning to look behind him at me as I nod in agreement. He watches me make my way slowly down the hill careful not to trip and fall.

“What?” I ask as I notice that he has stopped making his trek downward and turns to me.

“You are just way to slow for my liking.” He says with a quirky smile.

I squint my eyes at him in the darkness as the bonfire below frames his tall, lean stature. “You are being extra sassy tonight, Liam.”

“It must have been from my night on the couch last night.” He says as he walks up the hill a to get close enough to me as I let out a small laugh, it could just be that. “Hop on my back, I’ll help you get down there a bit quicker.” He says allowing me to get on his back to make the trek downwards a bit easier, (for me, anyways).

“Thanks.” I say as Liam situates his arms to hold me up around my legs. I wrap my sweater-clad arms over his shoulders as he turns to look at me, but instead the bills of our hats collide, barley knocking mine off, and his sideways. “I like that look on you.” I smirk as I see a smile grow across his face.

“Are you flirting with me, Reina?” He asks with a laugh fixing his hat.

“I am full of surprises.” I wink mimicking his earlier comment this evening, as his smile grows larger.

“Well I for one, like it when you are a bit flirty with me.” He shakes his head and starts making his way down the hill with me on his back, smile still on his face.

“I’ll remember that then,” I whisper lightly.

“Reina, Reina, Reina. What am I going to do with you?” He says softly as he allows himself to be guided by the trees for balance on the way down.

“I’m sure you will think of something.” I sigh as I look at the growing number of teenagers at the bottom of the valley. “Is there anyone I should avoid around here?”

“Yeah,” Liam states quickly. “All of my friends.” His quick comment causing me to laugh as we make it to the bottom. “Maybe a few of the girls. They can be pretty caddy. You know the usual high school shenanigans.”

“I’ll remember that.” I laugh as he sets me back down on the ground as a group of people start coming towards. “Now I really wished we would have stayed home.”

“I will be here the whole time!” Liam says reassuringly putting a hand on my back and moving out of the way so I was much more visible to everyone there instead of hiding behind him, “Don’t worry, Reina.”

“Is there anyone I should definitely meet tonight?” I ask as I get a full view of everyone.

“Josh’s girlfriend, Mia is actually very nice,” He nods to himself as he agrees with what he said, “I think you might like her.”

There were so many people and they were all staring at me as I look away from Liam. I now hate being the new girl. Why can’t I just be at home with Charlie and Anna watching the late night news or sitting in solitude reading a book and why can’t I have Clemmy by my side like always. Life is much too hard without her.

“Look who finally made his way down here.” I boy with shaggy blonde hair says making his way over to us. “It’s the college QB and the new girl.”

“Reina.” I state correcting him as he takes my hand.

“Don’t worry I know.” He says with a wink. All right, this guy was either a bit strange or very outgoing. “I’m Josh, Reina.”

“You should just stay away from him as well.” Liam says with a growing smile as he’s tackled into a hug by Josh who is acting like he hadn’t saw Liam in ages.

“Well don’t tell her that, man.” Josh says turning back to me arm around Liam’s tall and much leaner figure. “Boy have I heard an earful about you, Miss. Reina.” He says as he secretly points at Liam as I laugh a bit as Josh lets go of the hold he has on Liam.

“All good things.” Liam says as he looks down at me with a quirky smile. He is killing me.

“College QB?” I ask a bit confused.

“He hasn’t told you?” Josh asks a bit shocked, “I would be bragging a bit if I were him, but I guess I will just do it for him then.” Josh was a very outgoing person. “Liam here is being recruited by some pretty big colleges all over the country. He is the greatest Quarterback our school has had in a very long time.”

“He has never mentioned that to me.” I smiled at Liam as he looks down from the hat I had on to me. “How very impressive.”

“Yeah, but there are more important things in life.” Liam states a bit flatly. I mean, he could sound a bit more proud of himself. I look at him a bit shocked as he gives me a small smile, not the usual bright Liam smile that I adore.

“See this is why I do all the bragging for him.” Josh says looking at Liam and his cool demeanor and then behind him at a red haired girl with bright brown eyes.

“I hope Josh isn’t bothering you too much.” The red headed girl mentions glaring at Josh for a moment. “His chattiness can be somewhat off putting to people that are just meeting him” My guess is that this girl is Mia, Josh’s girlfriend. She reminded me so much of Clemmy with her outspokenness.

“I’m not that bad.” Josh sighs.

Liam counters, “Dude, yes you are.” Liam, Mia, and I have a laugh as Josh glares at us.

“I have to deal with you pretty much every day, Josh.” Mia laughs as she wraps her arms around Josh. “For what, three years now?”

“Try since preschool, Mia.” Liam adds.

“Alright, alright. I get it you punks.” Josh sighs looking at the two of them.

“Hey you're not that bad!” I say to try and cheer him up.

Josh smiles at me as Liam butts in, “She doesn’t mean that. She is just trying to be nice, J.”

“Liam!” I say shocked smacking his arm lightly, but all he does is smirk as he pulls me in under his arm still laughing. “I meant it!”

“Mhmm, sure, Reina.” Liam says as I look up at him as he smiles and holds my gaze.

“Liam,” Mia says as the two of look at her as she is smiling at the two of us. “I’m going to steal Reina from you for a bit, let her meet some new people.”

“Yeah, of course!” Liam drops his arm from my shoulder, “That’s what she’s here for anyways, right.”

Mia grabs my sweater-clad arm and we head to the other side of the bonfire. “I have honestly heard so much about you, Reina”

“Really?”

“Of course!” Mia smiles as we take a seat next to two other girls. “Josh’s mom brought up one day that there would be a new student and Liam knew ALL about you. Trust me he could go on and on, which is quite unusual from Liam. He is pretty quiet.”

“He isn’t to quiet around me.” I smile as I look at Mia.

“Reina,” She smirks, “That’s because he likes you!” Holy moly.

“Well I suppose that is nice to hear.”

“Coming from Liam it is. He doesn’t really find and interest in very many people.” Mia says looking over at Liam and Josh on the other side of the large bonfire as they talk with a few other guys, joking and laughing loudly.

“He really is full of surprises.” I say following Mia’s gaze.

“You have no idea.” Mia says. “So, what brings you to Iowa?”

Great, I knew this would come up sooner or later, but I am glad Liam hasn’t really told anyone why I am really here. “I- uhm,” I say thinking about what I should say as I tug on Liam’s hat that is on my head. Is it really that hard to say? My parents are dead, dead because of me. “I- I live with my aunt and uncle now because my-, my parents died this past spring in a car accident.”

I look over at Mia as she stares at me because she really wasn’t expecting such an answer. “Reina, I am sorry to hear that.” That was all she said, and that is all I really wanted to hear from her. Nothing more.

“Yeah, I haven’t really moved passed it much it has been pretty hard, but my aunt, uncle, and Liam have actually helped me quite a bit.”

“Is it weird to say that you two have quite a bit in common, in a very strange way.” Mia states bluntly.

“How so?” I say as I meet her gaze.

“Liam’s life isn’t very peachy as well. If I can say that?” She asks as I nod her to continue. “His dad passed away two years ago during the beginning of our sophomore year. It was really hard for his family. Especially Liam, they were very close down to his dad’s last day.”

“May I ask what happened?” I asked.

“His dad died of brain cancer, but Reina it doesn’t end there.” Mia starts again. “Ever since his dad passed away he has had a hard time dealing with the fact that he was gone. He about gave up on practically everything like, his family, school, and even football, which his dad loved to watch Liam play. Your uncle was always his dad’s best friend. He came into his life a lot more and pushed him to try again, for his dad and for his little brother, Henry. He also had to worry about his mom and her depression and just this past winter Henry was diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia. Josh and I try and help the best we can but we can only get through to him so much, he never really seems to want much help.”

I really feel bad for pouting for the past few weeks now. I’m not the only one with a hard life and I never would have guessed Liam had lost so much.

“Today he has a lot on his plate and he seems to handle it really well recently. Both his mom and brother are doing alright at the moment so I think that really helps him.” Mia says. “He has such great opportunities coming his way and I hope he realizes it but he just puts so much of his energy into the two of them.”

“Are they the reason he doesn’t seem very interested in college football?” I ask looking at Liam from across the way as he catches my gaze.

“Yeah, he just thinks that if he leaves them something bad will happen and he never wants to risk it.” Mia stated.

“I’m sure he will figure everything out sooner or later.” I say as our conversation comes to an end as two girls come join Mia and I to introduce each other to me since they were both Mia’s best friends.

Stephanie was a girl with beautiful brown hair and eyes to match that squinted when she laughed. Liz had blonde hair, green eyes, and freckles dotting her tanned face, she looked like she belonged in California on the beach.

“You should totally come!” Liz chimes in as Stephanie goes on about her family’s cabin on the river after our seemingly long conversation.

“We have a girls weekend there in the summer and it is coming up soon!” Mia adds, “You should really join us!”

“It would be really fun, Reina!” Stephanie, but I was advised to call her Steph, says with a smile. “I would love to have you there.”

“I mean I don’t see why not!” I smiled. It did sound like a lot of fun and it would give me a chance to make friends with the three girls and also get to know more about the school around here.

“So you and Liam?” Liz butts in, nudging me a bit.

“Wow, Liz.” Mia says, “You really couldn’t hold that in much longer, could you?”

“What? A girl is curious.” Liz smiles as she turns back to me from Mia as Steph and I both laugh.

“He is very sweet,” I begin. “But honestly I have no idea where we stand. You know?”

“I think we all know where you two stand.” Liz adds with a smirk. “He totally likes you.”

“I second that.” Mia adds, “He never stops about you.”

“Sorry,” I laugh. “I’m kind of boring so I bet there isn’t much to talk about.”

Mia smiles at me. “Well everything he mentions about you is spot on. He must not miss much when it comes to you.”

Honestly, I end up liking Liam more and more once I get to know him and what Mia just said made me like him more than I probably should at this point in our… Well whatever you want to call this odd relationship we have here. I look away from Mia and over to where Liam and Josh are seated across the bonfire as our eyes met. It was nice to know that we shared mutual feelings, even if I had to find out from someone else.

“I wouldn’t mind dating him myself.” Stephanie says with a laugh. “He just really keeps to himself mostly.”

“Well thanks for the input, Steph.” I laughed.

“She has no problem giving anyone her input.” Liz adds in.

“That is very true, Liz.” Mia says as she nudges Stephanie with her elbow. Something catches her eye behind Liz and I. The three of us turn to see who Mia is looking at.

There stood Liam’s tall stature with Josh not far behind him. Liam drops down and sit next to me as Josh butts in taking a seat in between Mia and Stephanie. “Gosh, I love girl talk. No need to stop your guys’ conversation even though I am here now. Well and Liam too.” He says stating the obvious as all four girls plus Liam stare back at him. “Oh I see how it is, you girls were talking about me, weren’t you?”

“I’m sure you wish we were, but then again we could have been talking about Liam.” Mia says as she rolls her eyes at Josh as he puts his arm over her shoulders.

“Probably not.” Josh laughs as he looks over at Liam as the two just laugh.

“Do you guys care if I steal Reina from you guys?” Liam says after the fit of laughter. He looks at me as he gave me the smile that I secretly love of his.

“Of course—“ Mia smiles at me as she gives me a look until Josh cuts in with a, “NOT, Liam!”

“You are really funny Josh.” Liam says sarcastically as he stands up and takes my hand to help me up off the ground.

“Where are we off to now?” I ask Liam as we walk around the large bonfire back towards the steep mountain of a hill.

“Well to be honest I’m not much for being around people for too long.” He says as he takes my hand and helps me up the hill.

“Stephanie did tell me you do like to keep to yourself most of the time.” I mentioned as Liam turns around to look at me in the darkness.

“She just thinks that because I’m just not as chatty as she is.” He says as I laugh. “And lately I don’t get out much because I have had too much to take care of.”

“Nothing wrong with keeping to yourself.” I say as he helps me over a log. “Stephanie is a pretty chatty person to begin with.”

“I am glad you agree with me.” Liam smiles.

“You never answered my question on where we are going.” I say nudging Liam.

“Right, you will just have to see when we get there.” Liam said as we reached the top of the hill and into the clearing.

“Or, you know, you could just tell me.”

“I said it was a secret you fun- hater.” Liam says as he turns around to look at me as we reach his truck.

“I am not a fun hater, Liam.” I laugh.
“That is what a fun- hater would say.” He counters as I cross my arm and give him a look.

“Just get in my truck, Please?” Liam says leaning against the open door. “I promise you will know where we are once we get there.”

“Well I haven’t been to many places around here,” I think aloud as I get into the front seat.

“So it shouldn’t be too hard then.” He smiles at me as he closes my door and goes around to the driver’s side.

Not long after we are back on the familiar gravel road leading the way back to my aunt and uncle’s but instead of turning into the driveway Liam keeps going down the road to where he took me to his favorite place.

“Why did you take me here the other day.” I asked as I look over at Liam.

“You were really depressed and I was in the same position that you are in a few years ago.” He said as he weaved he way through the wooded path.

“You were in the same position as me?” I asked him, even though I already knew what had happened to his dad.

“I lost my dad two years ago to brain cancer and it really gutted me for quite a while.” He began, “It was really hard for me to deal with the fact that he was gone and I had to go on without him.”

“I am sorry to hear that Liam.” I said sadly due to the fact that the two were so close and just the sadness he held in his eyes.

“I wanted to give up on everything after he passed.” He continued. “I found this place after a while and I liked the idea that time just kind of stopped. No one was there to tell me what to do, or pity me. I was just able to be by myself and slowly get through it, even with the help of your uncle.”

“You know,” I said with a small smile as Liam puts the truck into park and kills the engine as he turns to look at me. “I’m really glad I have gotten to know you, Liam.”

He looks at me for a moment until he breaks the silence with his wonderful smile. “I think the same think about you as well, Reina.” He takes my hand and leads me out his side of the truck as I scoot my way across and out the door.

Liam pulls the latch on the tailgate of his truck and takes a seat as I take a seat next to him. “Have you ever seen stars like this in California?” He says as he looks up above.

“Not where I am from, no.” I say quite amazed as I look at all the stars shining brightly above the two of us. I have never seen this many stars in my life. “It just is never dark enough.”

“Well let me tell you,” Liam said looking up at the stars. “You are really missing out then, Reina.”

“I can see that.” I said as we sit in silence for quite a while. After moments pass I speak up, “Do you still miss him?”

“I honestly don’t think I will ever stop.” He said flatly, “I promise you, you won’t either.”

“I don’t think I plan on stopping but there are some things I would like to forget.” I said about my parents’ passing, feeling his eyes on me.

“What do you mean exactly?” He asked.

“Did my aunt or uncle ever tell you how they passed away?”

“I never really thought it was my business to ask.” He stated quietly.

“They were going around a bend in the road on the way to my soccer game. A semi was over the line going too fast and now I don’t have my parents. All because I wanted both of them at my game.”

“Reina, it could have happened to anyone, don’t go blaming yourself.” He sighed.

“I saw them at the scene of the accident. Images I cannot get out of my head, or will ever be able to get out of my head. Every day I wish it was someone else.” I started again as I look into his gaze. “I wish that I would have just woken up the next day and read about it in the daily paper instead of living with the fact that it happened to my parents.”

Liam stays quiet as I keep going one. “I know it is wrong for me to say that but I lost both of them and it is completely my fault.”

“It happened, Reina.” Liam says as tears start to fall down my cheeks. “Hey now, don’t cry. Now it is just time to move on, Rein.” He added as he brings his hand up to wipe away the tears. “You have to let yourself off the hook, it isn’t your fault.”

“And if I don’t?” I asked.

“You are going to go on living every day filled with dread until is consumes you to a point where you don’t think you will ever be able to get out of it, trust me I have been there. I can no longer be in that place because I have to be there to take care of my mother who is still and emotional wreck and my little brother who is suffering from a rare form of Leukemia.” Liam says, “You will realize that your life will continue and the Earth will keep turning.”

“You don’t have much time to be a teenager, do you?” I ask Liam as he shakes his head no. “You don’t need to be an adult yet, Liam, you have plenty of time to be an adult.”

“I can’t lose anyone else.” He mumbles as he fixes his hat. “So I kind of need to.”

“They need you, you’re right,” I said. “But you also need to realize you need to do things for yourself as well, your mom and brother would want that for you.” Honestly, I should practice what I preach and do more things for myself; that is what my parents would want.

“God, being a grown up sucks.” He laughs a bit as I look over at him to see a smirk on his face.

“Yeah, I had to be one for about a whole week after my parents died.” I laugh. “It truly did suck.”

“Can you make me a promise, Reina?” Liam asks.

“Anything.”

“No more adult decisions from here on out,” He said, “Only being a teenager, until after college or whatever. That goes for the both of us.”

“Deal, it can’t hurt to be a bit spontaneous.” I laughed as we shook on it. “Pinky promise to seal the deal.” I added as we locked pinkies.

“Spontaneous. Wonderful.” He said giving me a one of a kind smile as he puts his arm around me and pulls me into a side hug.

“The adult life is dead to us.”