Status: In the works!

Change

Chapter Fourteen

“Four more, and you are done.” Coach calls out to Josh and I as we rest on the line.

“Thank the Lord!” Josh cheers loudly while catching his breath, as we are just about to finish our sprint workout for the day. “Four is still a fucking lot though, man. Full field sprints, fuck.”

“Would you just shut up, Josh?” I laugh as sweat pours down my face. “You don’t have to do this with me, you know that right?”

“You asked for someone to train with so here I am.” Josh says tiredly. “I can’t quit on you now, buddy.”

“I mean; I would.” I huffed, “If I were you.”

“I also enjoy watching you suffer for a D1 scholarship. It makes me happy.” Josh smirks. “And because I beat you in sprints, every single time.”

“Bull- fucking- shit, man.” I laugh just as I hear coach call the two of us back to the line for our last set of four.

“Bring it on QB.” Josh taunts me as we both step on the line, just as the whistle blows.

This sucks.

++++++++++++++++

“So I never got to ask,” Josh begins as we walk back to our cars from our workout. “How was last night with Reina?”

“Are you interested in knowing or is Mia?” I ask as I look over at Josh.

“You know her too well.” Josh laughs. “But, I guess, I would like to know also.”

Shrugging smugly, “Man, I don’t know.” I laugh.

“That right there, just fucking tells me that something did happen.” Josh shouts. “C’mon, I won’t tell Mia!”

“Yes you will!” I laugh, “You two love your girl talk together… It’s weird.”

“You never share relationship details ever so this is exciting for me. And Mia, I suppose.” Josh laughs.

“What relationship details? I’ve never legitimately had one.” I said. “And you of all people know why.”

“This is why you need to tell me!” Josh says nudging me as I look over at him laughing as he stops short. “If this whole crush goes any farther, you know you are going to have to tell her sometime, right?”

“Yeah, I know.” I sighed, “This is why I don’t get into this sort of thing, but she is so goddamned beautiful, man.”

“You kissed her didn’t you. That is why you are being so… So smug.”

I look at Josh who has a smile plastered across his face. “You are such a girl, man.”

“I’m right, aren’t I?” He laughs. “Li, just take her on a date already would you!”

“I um- I am.” I say as I toss my cleats into the back of my truck. “Tonight.”

“If this goes any farther though, tell her, Liam.” Josh stated, “Please, don’t go getting her hopes up.”

“I promise.”

++++++++++++++++

“Mom?” I ask as I walk into the entryway of our house. “Henry? Are you guys home?” I call out into the quiet house.

“Henry?” I call out again. I know they should be home today.

Still no answer, “Please be home, please be ok.” I whisper as I take the stairs two at a time and charge into my brother’s room.

“Henry?” I ask again as I check under his bed where I can sometimes find him reading, but instead I hear rustling elsewhere.

I slide open his closet door as his cat hops out into the sunlit room. “Henry” I sigh as I find him huddled in the corner reading comics with a flashlight shining on the pages. “Could you not hear me?” I ask leaning over and pulling his headphones out of his ears as his tired eyes finally meet mine. “I’m going to take that as a no.” I whisper, lifting him up and out of his closet and into my arms. It is sad that he is tiny enough to do so.

“Where is mom?” I ask.

“She is having a meeting with my doctors.”

“And she left you here?” I fire back. “By yourself?”

“It is supposed to be a quick meeting and I knew you would be back soon so I asked if I could stay in bed.” He said. “I haven’t been having the best day.”

“Just one of those days.” I sighed as I stand up and step out of the closet, “I know what you mean, bud.”

“You’re a good brother.” Henry says into my chest, “but you worry about me too much.”

“Every day, Henry.” I say as he looks up at me as his glasses rest crookedly on his pale face. “Aren’t I supposed to?”

“Not when you go every day thinking I am going to die.” He whispers as he straightens outs his comic book and settles into my lap as I sit down on his bed.

I look down at him, as his blue eyes become hypnotizing as my chest tightens with sadness. “You have given me plenty of scares though, bud. How can I not sometimes.”

“I’m right here,” He says fixing his glasses and looking back down at his comics. “Be happy with that.”

“You’re right, Henry.” I sighed, “You’re right.”

“I know.” He laughs smugly even though he shutters in pain as he adjusts himself to nestle into my chest, eyes always glued to his book.

“You should rest, you get pretty sassy when you’re tired.” I sigh as he closes his comic and takes off his glasses.

“Only if you stay with me.” He says as I oblige and lay back into his tiny bed. “You’re sweaty and kind of smell though. So we will see how this goes.”

“Oh, OK.” I laughed as Henry smiles up at me. “You asked for it, buddy.”

“I hope you don’t smell this bad on your date.” He whispers sheepishly.

I choke a little as I take a sharp breath in, “Mom must tell you everything I say.”

“Everything.” He exaggerates as he lies there with his eyes closed.

“Everything.” I whisper as I look at my tiny seven- year- old brother who is half asleep. “I suppose that is ok.”

“I bet she is beautiful.” He sighs sleepily. “Can I meet her? Not on a bad day though, but a good day?”

“On a good day, whenever you are up to it.”

“I’d like that.” He says as he falls asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finals are coming to a close so hopefully that means more updates! :)