The First Time I Caught A Glimpse of You

Chapter 7

Later That Night

Sarah's P.O.V.

On the drive home, Tod was trying to find the words to apologize for embarrasing me infront of Billie Joe. He thought that I liked Billie Joe. I don't. At least I don't think I do. I don't want to be used. He's uses every girl he's ever been with for sex. I'm not like that. He finally managed to say that he was sorry. I told him it was okay, and went inside.

When we walked inside, John was awake waiting up for us. He began to yell. Tod cut him off, saying that we were at work. John knew that we were; he was just trying to pick a fight. Seeing that neither of us was going to argue he bounded up the stairs. Tod went to the kitchen for some food. I sat on the sofa. The phone rang and made me jump. It was my best friend, Ember. Dannie was also on the line. They three-wayed me. We began talking about practicing for a show. We had never played one before. Tod walked in hearing my end of the conversation. He said he'd talk to Mack about getting us a show. Mack booked all of the shows at Gilman. All three of us squealed with excitement. Oh my God. I hope we get to play at Gilman, I thought. We all decided that we would get together tomorrow at Larry's. He always liked helping us work out our practices.

Danny and Ember were my best friends. We had always been there for each other. Ember was spontaneous. Danny was reserved for the most part. She was mouthy as hell. Everybody loved her for it though. Ember played the drums and the keyboard. Danny played the bass and at other times, guitar. We all liked to switch our instruments. Danny, Ember, and I went to school together, but didn't see much of each other there.

The Next Day

When I got to Larry's, Ember and Danny were there waiting for me. As soon as I plugged in my Fender, we began to play. Larry immediately started bobbing his head. He really liked our sound. He was really the only one who had heard any of our material. After about an hour of practicing, Tod walked in. He looked happy. We stopped playing, and took a break.

"Hey guys, guess what?" Tod asked sounding very excited.

"What?" We all asked in unison.

"I got you a show at Gilman for next weekend!" He squealed.

We all started screaming and jumping, including Larry. Everyone was super excited.

That weekend

On the night of our show, Ember and Danny made me do their make-up for them. We went a little crazy with the eyeshadow. As soon as we were ready, we headed to Gilman. My mom was happy for us,however; John wasn't. When we arrived, Mack checked us all in, and told us to set up. We did as we were told.

About halfway through the set we all realized who we'd just opened for. We had opened for Green Day. Everyone seemed to be enjoying our show. We were in the middle of our last song, when Billie Joe walked out in the middle of the stage.

"Get off of my fucking stage, Armstrong." I spat.

"I don't see your name on it."He replied looking at the floor with a raised brow.

"Really?" I replied challanging him.

He nodded with a smirk.

I ran off the stage, and went to the store room. I grabbed a can of spray paint, then hurried back to the stage. I shook the can, and smiled as Billie Joe stared at me in shock and confusion. I spray-painted my name on the stage.

"Now, get off of my fucking stage!" I yelled into the mic.

The crowd cheered. Billie smirked and blew me a kiss, then ran off of the stage. We finished our song and packed up our set.

During Green Day's set, Billie Joe made a comment about me winning the battle, but not the war. He had a very mischevious grin on his face when he said this too. Much to my dismay, I found it attractive, but it was frightening as well.

I hadn't seen Billie Joe at school all week. Or outside of school until Wednesday.There was a special show Wednesday night to promote 'the new' Green Day. This meant that I had to work. Tod and I both had to go in early to help the opening acts set up.</br><br>After helping Blatz and Crimpshine set up, I reorganized and restocked the bar. Billie Joe passed me on his way out back. He smiled and quickly turned away. I wondered if I had hurt his feelings the other night.

About an hour later, Mack told me to go watch the show. I guess he assumed that Billie Joe and I were dating. In the middle of Green Day's set Billie stopped singing and waited a moment so that he could catch his breath. He began talking to everyone at Gilman.

"The other night, a friend of mine told me that I was in their way." He began.

"She told me to get off of her fucking stage. I told her that I didn't see her name on it. Well she put it there." He paused and then scanned the crowd until his gaze fell upon me.

"Hey Sarah, that's not the only thing you left your name on!" He smirked, turning his back to the crowd.

Billie Joe's P.O.V.

After I bared my ass to everyone at Gilman, which had Sarah's name written on it, she left. She headed toward the front door, while Tod headed toward me. Everyone was laughing. I had to explain to Tod that it was an ongoing joke between his sister and I, even though it wasn't. Or at least not yet.

After the rest of the set, I left to go find Sarah. I walked around outside, until Larry pointed me toward the park. He knew that I liked Sarah. I walked quickly. I didn't want to miss her. When I arrived at the park, she was there sitting on one of the swings. I was glad she wasn't crying. I sat down next to her, and earned an eyeroll.

"What do you want now, Armstrong?" She asked.

"I didn't mean to offend you. I was just getting pay back for being kicked off of the stage Saturday. I was just joking. I'm sorry." I said.

She only nodded in reply.

"You're really beautiful." I stated out of nowhere.

She rolled her eyes in reply.

"You know? I just gave you a compliment. The least you could do is say thank you." I countered.

"I could, but I don't like it when you compliment me." She replied airily.

"You like me, don't you?" I asked.

"No, I don't, Armstrong." She answered trying to hide her smile.

About that time, Tod walked up. The show must've been over. She got up and followed him, but turned back and mouthed 'bye'. I waved and smiled.
</br><br>I hated how she left me feeling. Confused and curious. I hated the combination.