Nicotine Lovers

Chapter 2

I woke up to the steady beeping of a machine, almost like a metronome keeping time with the rhythm of my heart. Sunshine was pouring through the hospital window to my left, a girl with black hair sat next to it half asleep in the chair. As I attempted to sit up she sat up as well, eyes wide with shock. "Hanna!" she ran over and hugged me as I sat motionless. I slowly remembered who she was, my roommate, Iris. I left out a sigh of relief and was going to hug her back when I realized my arms were covered in huge bandages. *Oh god..* I remembered a car accident, glass, blood. I shook my head at the thought of my arms crushed and bleeding. Iris let me out of her embrace and I turned to face her as she pulled her chair closer to my bed. "When can we go home?" She gave me a half smile as she brought her legs up to her chest and laid back in her chair. "Well the doctors said they have to check that you're totally okay mentally, but I guess you are, Oli was at least.."
I nodded as I looked out the window and then I whipped my head back towards Iris, "Who was?" She looked at me like I was crazy.
"Oli.. Hanna are you feeling okay..?"
I stared back at her like she was the one with two heads. "Who's Oli?"
Iris' mouth hung open slightly as she stared towards the door. A guy around our age walked in with several bandages around his neck and arms. Iris stood up quickly rushing towards him,
"Oli I think we should talk in the hall. Now."
I stared after them as the guy opened his mouth to object but followed Iris out of the room instead.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Iris came back into the room with a doctor and after a few questions they concluded that I had amnesia. My heart sank to the floor as I realized that 'Oli' must have been in the accident with me last night, and here I was with no idea who he was. The doctor said that bits and pieces of my memory would come back over the course of a week or so, that the damage was not that bad.
I would have to stay over night in the hospital but I would be free tomorrow morning. The doctor told me to get some sleep and left, taking Iris with him. But as I tried to sleep I kept remembering Oli's sad eyes staring from the hall. A pair of eyes that shone like the glass in my memory of the accident.