Status: It's a short and it's done.

Night Skies and Parking Lots

Toddler or Infant?

Abigail glanced at the man every few seconds. She noticed the same despair and hopelessness in his eyes she had in her own. She wondered what happened to him? Did his fiancé cheat on him, too? Did something else equally as fucked happen? 
   Abigail sat up and brought her knees to her chest, staring at the lot lamp a foot from her right. Taking a deep breath, she looked back at the man. 
   "Your day sucked, too. Didn't it?" she called to him. 
   She seen the man jump slightly and look to her with furrowed brows. "Sorry?"
   Abigail sat up a little straighter. "I said 'your day sucked, too'. It did, didn't it?" 
   The man looks at her for a few moments, glanced to the ground than back to her. "Yeah. It did." he nods. 
   "Can I ask what happened?"
   He chuckles, but it was a humourless one a person did when they had no idea what else to do. "Why?" 
   Abigail just shrugged. 
   The man stared at her sideways for a minute than began speaking again. "I lost my job. I have no back up plan and I didn't graduate from any school." he explains. 
   Abigail nods. "My fiancé fucked my sister in our bed." 
   The man shook his head. "That sucks." he mutters.  
   "So does loosing your job." Abigail says back. "I'm Abby." 
   "Loki." 
   They say nothing else for a while, Just stared at each other. Loki was trying to figure out why this girl, Abby, wanted to know anything? Was it to see if her case was better so she felt better about her cheating husband? Or just pure curiosity? 
   Abby pulled out her own cigarettes and tapped one out. "Can I get those matches?" she asked. 
   Loki stood and walked up to her car, handing the book of matches back. He doesn't go back to his, just leans against the lot lamp. He watches Abby strike a match and hold it to the dnd of her cigarette, puffing s few times before throwing the match to the ground. 
   "I'm not even mad." Abby sighs, "About my fiancé anyway. O didn't live him. I did, I spent two and a half years with him, but I didn't... Love him. Does that make sense?" she asked, taking a pull. 
   Loki nods. "Yeah." 
   "I'm more taken back by my sister. She was my best friend and the only person who ever really knew me and the only person I've ever trusted..." Abby trails off, picking at her bottom lip. 
   "Why were you with him, then?" Loki asked. 
   "Circumstances. Pressure. My mom wants grand kids and since I'm the oldest, I should be the one to pop them out." Abby nods, looking to Loki. 
   "I don't talk to my family much. Holidays and birthdays. I've got two older brothers who work office jobs and a mom who's a RN now. None would even help me with groceries when I moved out." he says, buckling that same chuckle as earlier. 
   "Sorry about your job." Abby tells him sincerly. 
   Loki waves it off. "It was a shit job anyway. I barely skimmed for rent and insurance." he shrugged. "I just have no fucking idea what my next step is and I've only got four days to figure it out." 
   "I know how that is..." Abby sighs, pushing her dark hair back. "I work two  jobs and sell homemade jewelry and candles on the side for ends meet." she tells him. 
   "What do you do?" Loki asked. 
   "I'm a seamstress for the most part, librarian for the rest. I sell my hand made stuff at the library I work in." 
   Loki nods. "Sounds interesting." 
   Abigail laughs at this. She knew he didn't. He was just saying that. "it's not, really." she sniffs and takes a drag. 
   "Didnt sound like it." 
   "What did you do?"
   "Bar bitch. Some cheap pub in downtown that was barely running. I guess all those bills and mortgage payments got too much and the owner had to sell it. And out the food goes Loki the bar bitch." Loki explained, waving his hand for emphasis. "I was gonna try to find something else, but I didn't want to be fired four days before the first." 
   Abby says nothing and finishes her cigarette, pulling out another and using the butt of the old one to light it. "How do you even face your sibling after they fuck the person you were going to marry?" she mutters. 
   "With a punch to the face." Loki chuckles. This time there was some humour to it. 
   "She took ju dou since she was four." Abby laughs. 
   "Hit her with your car. She can't ninja kick that out of the way." he laughs with her, snubbing out his finished cigarette. "is your library hiring?" 
   "The pay is shit." 
   He shrugs. "I'm not good at cataloguing, anyway." 
   Abby found herself smiling at that. She took a long drag, blowing the smoke out slowly. She watched the white puffs of toxins swirl up to the night sky the get carried off by the slight breeze. 
   "I wanna be six again." she found herself saying. "When you're six you don know what live is, betrayal, anxiety depression. The worst thing that could happen was a time out or loosing your favourite toy. You worry about nothing else, at least not survival." she rambled on, feeling her chest tighten and her eyes burn slightly. 
   "I would be an infant. I don't even want to remember anything. Just lay there and sleep nintey-five percent of the time." Loki sighs. 
   "Yeah..."