Stolen Serenity

Friends?

"Who are you?" he asked, clearly still suspicious of her intentions.

"Me?" Serenity responded as she looked around the two of them, expecting him to be talking to someone else. When she finally realized that he was her main subject, she spoke.

"Serenity."

"Why are you here?" he asked. She began to feel as if she were being questioned for a crime she did not take part in.

"I just moved here," she answered cautiously. Why did he want to know so much about her?

Before she knew it, the boy was standing in front of her, tugging on her ears and tilting her head back as he inspected her eyes and her nose. Once he was satisfied and Serenity was completely weirded out, he took a step back and outstretched his hand.

"Sora," he named himself, as if nothing had just happened.

"Hey Sora," she greeted him, still worried of his intentions.

"Where'd the light go?" he questioned as he turned his attention to the dull mahogany door and her dim skin. "I saw it."

"Light? There was no light! What are you talking about?" she panickly responded as she pushed her way past him and moved towards the tunnel. She didn't want to start any trouble with the locals her first day here.

"Where are you from?" he questioned, dropping the subject. He studied her for a moment like he was trying to place her himself, but he found no answer.

"Genovesa," she replied as she fumbled her way through the tunnel, trying not to make a fool out of herself by tripping over a vine or something of the like.

"Never heard of it," he spoke, his mind trailing off to think further to see if he had. Nothing. He noticed she was having trouble in the dark of the tunnel and took her hand in his.

"What are you doing?" Serenity stuttered, completely thrown off by his actions. First she was inspected by him like she was some kind of alien life form and now he was holding her hand?!

"Follow me," Sora spoke in annoyance as he led her with ease through the dark tunnel.

Serenity felt her cheeks burning hot on her face, and she could only wish that they would remain a while longer in the dark so that the redness could subside. But to her unfortunate luck, they were already to the mouth of the tunnel.

Sora stepped out into the sunlight, squinting due to the sudden brightness. He pushed a palm branch out of the way for Serenity as she stepped out. Suddenly he started to snicker.

"What?! W-What are you laughing at?!" Serenity barked as she inspected her outfit for something embarrassing.

"You're red as a tomato," he laughed as he took her hand in his once again. Only to add to the redness of her face. "Come on, I want you to meet my friends."

"Friends?" Serenity replied.

"How could anyone like you?" she jokingly said as an eruption of laughter came from Sora.

"Better watch that tongue of yours, Serenity. You don't have many friends now do you? You only have one," Sora spoke, tossing her joke back in her face.

"One friend? I don't have any," she replied, her eyes down casting to the glittery sand.

"You have me," Sora said as he smiled the one smile that could light up the night sky like the moon.