Stolen Serenity

The Darkness Consumes

"Kairi!" Sora exclaimed, completely thrown off that she was there. "I see you're feeling better."

"I was until now," Kairi yelled as her attention turn to Serenity.

"This is Serenity. She's new to the island," Sora introduced as his hand extended towards Serenity. The second he saw Kairi's glance dart to his hand though, he pulled back.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Serenity smiled innocently as she hopped off the tree trunk and walked towards Kairi. Once she reached her, she offered her hand.

"Is it, now?" Kairi glared and folded her arms up against her chest. After a few moments of throwing daggers at the two, she turned around and walked away from the shore.

"What's with her?" Serenity turned to Sora.

"I've never seen her like that," he rubbed the back of his head, clearly confused. "Maybe it's her cold."

"Maybe," Serenity agreed. She turned her attention back to the water. "It's late."

"Yeah, you should head home," Sora replied. "Want me to walk you?"

"Nah, I'll walk alone. I don't want to cause anymore trouble," Serenity smiled at his offer as she pointed off into the distance towards Kairi's disappearing figure.

"Oh, right. I should go talk to her. Sorry about that," Sora sighed. "See you tomorrow?"

"Definitely," Serenity called to him, already heading into the jungle of palm trees.

"Goodnight!" he shouted after her before racing off towards Kairi.

"Goodnight," Serenity whispered more to herself than to him. She pushed back a few branches and soon she vanished into the dark of the trees.

"Surely it wasn't this far to walk through," Serenity sighed as she pushed herself through more branches. Her legs were covered in small scratches from twigs she rubbed up against in the wrong angle and they were beginning to sting.

As she fumbled her way through the dark, the sun finally set, sealing off all source of light and leaving only the moon and stars to guide her.

A rustle in the leaves from behind broke the silence of the night, startling her. She quickened her pace as she went, hoping to find a way out soon. She was beginning to be frightened.

Another rustle echoed through the trees as she moved along, sending her into a full run. She clumsily tripped over several branches, but she maintained her posture as she ran along. The rustle began to grow louder behind her, forcing her to run as fast as her body would will.

The roar of the ocean met her ears as she ran, and she gratefully found the end of the jungle. As she ran out, she turned around to face her follower. Ready to fight, she bent her knees and threw up her fists.

The rustling became louder and louder as it approached her.

"I'm not afraid of you! Whoever you are!" she shouted out into the dark, but her lie didn't help stop her shivering.

A scream escaped her mouth as a black raven flew out from the tree at her, but quickly changed it's path and flew straight into the pitch black sky, disappearing in an instant.

She let down her arms and sighed. She was definitely in need of some sleep if she was freaking out over a bird.

She turned towards the shore as she walked back home, listening to the melody of far away dolphins and the echo of the wind. As she walked a familiar voice entered her ears. One she had heard earlier that day.

"Come and join us, Serenity. Swim, swim, swim..." it echoed inside of her head. She felt herself being pulled towards the water's edge. The closer she got, the louder the voice sang to her.

"Swim with us, Serenity. You'll never be the same," it sang. "Join us."

She was at the water's edge, only a few inches from where the waves crashed onto the sand. She moved closer, only the very tip of the water touched her toes. But that very tip was all it needed.

The ocean roared at her and a bigger wave crashed onto the sand, covering her feet completely. The water did not disappear after a moment of time though. Instead, it clung to her feet like a sticky goo, yearning for her soft pale skin. It crawled up her legs like quicksand rapidly.

Serenity began to panic, she tried pulling away from the water but it was no use. It had hold of her as if it was glue, and she couldn't budge. The only thing she could do was watch.

The water sang to her once more, "Swim with us, swim. Leave the shore forever. Swim."

Another wave washed up onto the shore, adding to her feet as it clung as well. She felt as if she were being pulled under into the depths of the ocean, even though she was standing there on shore.

"Swim!" the voice demanded as another wave crashed onto her, knocking her over into the sand. The wave immediately grabbed onto her hands, gluing them down as well.

The water began to climb up the sides of her body, as if it were trying to swallow her up whole. Trying to swallow her up into the darkness.

"Serenity!" a voice cried from a distance. Serenity looked up to see her mother waving her down.

"Mom!" Serenity cried for help as the water crawled up her further.

"Come inside before you catch your death!" she shouted back, clicking on the porch light which shone across the entire beach.

"Mom! Help me, I'm-" Serenity paused. She looked down to her hands and feet and found they were only buried in sand. Sand that was illuminated by the porch light.

"Help you?" Serenity's mother asked, stepping off the porch and approaching her.

"Nevermind," Serenity spoke, bewildered by what had just happened. "I think I need rest."

"I think you do too. You've been out all day. Did I really make you that angry?" she asked Serenity.

"No, no. I was out... making friends," Serenity smiled up at her mom, trying to push aside what had just happened.

"Wonderful!" her mom clapped with glee as she went inside the house shivering. "Hurry in, it's freezing out there. You can tell me all about them inside."

"I'll be there in a second, Mom," Serenity called to her as she turned towards the ocean once more. The waves traveled up the sand slowly and calmly. As if nothing happened.

Serenity walked up the front steps and stood in the doorway, her hand resting on the doorknob. She watched the ocean sway in the moonlight as she closed the door.

But even as she closed the door tight, the familiar song seeped it's way into the last of the space between the door and the wall.

"Swim with us, Serenity."