Status: Work In Progress

Time Stands Still

The Tyler Seguin Case

Meanwhile, at the H.D.A....

Reilly Smith one of the veteran investigators, sat at his desk. He wore a nice, formal black suit. His tie was hung loosely about his neck. He had a stern expression on his face, as he watched his partner, who was tossing a ball up in the air. His blue eyes were set on the object. He barely blinked.

After Brandon Saad was injured, Reilly didn’t exactly want a new partner, especially one who spoke little English, but he found himself stuck with the big Russian nineteen year old. Reilly grew to love this man. Val was like his awkward cousin.

Reilly sighed. “We need a case, Nichy!”

“I will agree. It is just not normal to sit here and do nothing.” The big Russian kid didn’t take his eye off the ball, as he spoke to his partner.

The Boston Bruin winger leaned back in his chair. He gazed up at the tiled ceiling of the office. He stared upward for a few minutes, before he sighed deeply and spun his chair around. He gazed out his picturesque window, on the second floor of the H.D.A. building in Downtown Dallas, Texas. There were about seven buildings total: the one in Dallas, Texas, one in Tampa, Florida, one in New York City, New York, one in Boston, Massachusetts, one in Los Angeles, California, one in Toronto, Canada, and one in Chicago, Illinois.

He loved the view he had. The young twenty three old hockey player could see the street down below, where it was lined with the familiar trees that had grown around the edge of the property, like a makeshift fence. It was almost always busy and clogged with people, but he loved to look down and think about how much the people were pissed off in the cars, waiting to get home or to work or somewhere else. It was funny.

He had dragged Val into the “game” as well a few times. Though, the Dallas Star had a good grasp on the humor, he went in and out sometimes, in bewilderment. He would usually just crack his sweet smile and go with it. Reilly could relate to this. He was awkward too. I guess, that was why they both learned to get along with one another rather rapidly.

As he gazed out the clear glass, he spotted a blimp flying in the sky over the building across the street. It had some wording on it, but it was too far away for Reilly to read. He gave up and spun back around. Val was still intent on his ball, focused on the circular blob of green.

The Bruin stared out of the glass windows that made up the front of his little square office. He glanced past the Russian. He could see the edge of the platform that his office was stationed on. A single staircase led down to the lower level, where the main floor was. This was where the senior detectives, bosses and important people for the division worked. The "professionals."

To either side of his small space, were two sets of wooden paved walls that allowed his neighbors no visual peek into his personal matter. His desk was on the left side, while the door was on the right. Attached to the left wall, beside his desk, was a twenty inch Vizio television. The Agency’s logo flashed on it: a spyglass with a puck underneath and two hockey sticks crossed.

This was Reilly’s office, which he shared with Valeri Nichushkin, his newly assigned partner.

Suddenly the office door swung open and Antti Niemi walked in. He held a stack of papers in his grasp. “It’s your lucky day boys, I have a case for you!”

“Oh finally!” Reilly sighed, jumping to his feet at once. He pushed his chair backward in the process. “What is it?”

Their head private investigator and "hockey boss" faced them. He cracked a smile, as he set the papers down. “Tyler Seguin.”

“What about him?” Val asked, ending his playtime, catching the ball and straightening up in his seat. He looked at the lead man in charge. “He is my linemate during the season! He is a popular player, always making the headlines for something. What has he done this time?”

“He’s been abusing his internet image and making enemies quickly!” Antti reported, placing his palms face down on the edge of the desk. He attempted to take in both men into his sight.

“And?” Reilly pressed, folding his arms over his formal suit.

“And he needs to be protected! He needs to be given a warning!”

“Isn’t that the NSA or police’s job?” The Bruin rolled his eyes, unlocking his arms and putting his hands on his hips.

“Yes...no….listen, just try to talk to him. Confront him. Tell him to tone down the negativity and sketchy tweets. He can’t afford to have another lawsuit, like the one he got the summer coming into Dallas!” Antti looked at them with seriousness. He wasn’t joking. He needed them to take the case and speak to Tyler.

“Alright, we’ll take the case, Nemo,” Reilly spoke, finally giving in. “Right, Val?”

“Right!”

The older man took his hands off the desk and slowly straightened himself up. He slapped Reilly and Val on the back, as they both shared a common awkward glance between themselves. “That’s my boys. Let me know of any updates in the case! I’m counting on you gentlemen!”

“You can count on us, Mr. Nemo, sir!” Val stated, saluting his boss.

“There’s no need for that Val, but thank you.”

With that, he walked back out of the office and left them alone once more. He vanished around a corner, heading somewhere. His head was hung low, as though something bothered him.

Reilly and Val turned to one another. The Star grabbed the stack of papers.

“Let’s go talk to Mr. Twitter, Tyler Seguin, I guess!”

“Я понимаю!” (I understand!)

The blue eyed Russian kid leapt to his feet, eagerness creeping into his expression, as he looked at his partner. They both left the office, heading for the doors that lead out to the elevator hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
First time mixing languages in a story. I am getting help with it though!
Stick tap to my new friend on the site, A Shruinger! :)
More Russian from Nichy coming up.