Status: Thank you for reading my story! Please let me know what you think about it.

Save Me from Myself

Late night calls

"How's dad? Why didn't he come with you?" I asked mom as I was bringing her a glass of lemonade.
"You know your father, he can't take his eyes off the TV for 5 minutes. He said that we should give you some space, but the truth is that he's obsessed with Desperate Housewives and Doctor House." she replied sarcastically.
"It can't be that bad." I said with a smile as I sat on the couch. "How come you decided to pay me a visit?" I wanted to know.
"You never called, so I wanted to see how bad things really are." she replied on a serious tone.
"Well... I go to work, as you can see I found a suitable home and the most important I didn't die of hunger." I sneered.
"Yet!" she replied with a grin. "How's work? Do you enjoy it?" mom asked curiously.
"Yes, I love my job. The girls are working really hard for the next cheerleading contest." I replied proudly. "So, how long are you staying?" I wanted to know.
"I only arrived 15 minutes ago and you already want to kick me out?" she replied with a smile. I rolled my eyes and remained silent.
"Tell me about your social life. Did you make any friends or have you met anyone special yet?" she wanted to know.
I haven't told her anything about Damon, mainly because she would have tried to convince me to go out with him. She always wanted me to stop being such a loner.
Fortunately, a few minutes later, a knock at the door ended our awkward conversation. When I opened the front door, Kyle was standing in front of me dressed up in a tuxedo. He had two tickets to the opera for that night, so he wanted me to go with him. Mom convinced me to accept his proposal and she helped me choose a proper outfit for the occasion. Opera isn't my thing, but it wasn't so bad after all. At least I got out of the house and I had a great time chatting with Kyle.
I got home at 9 PM and as soon as I walked inside the apartment, my mother started questioning me again:
"Why didn't you tell me about Kyle? He's cute." she asked me with a smirk.
"He's weird. He believes in ghosts and vampires." I replied, trying to make her stop.
"So what? You believed in Santa Claus." mom said with a smile.
"Yeah, when I was like five..." I replied sarcastically.
"Well, girls grow up mentally faster than guys. He'll get over it." she added, still smiling at me.
"Look, I know what you're trying to do. Kyle is nice, but I only see him as a friend." I replied on a serious tone.
"All I want is for you to bee happy." she added a little disappointed.
"Just because I'm single it doesn't mean that I am unhappy. You're my mom, you're supposed to scare the guys away, not to act like cupid." I replied with a smile and she smiled back, then she embraced me in a bear hug. Although I don't usually like being emotional, hugging mom felt good and I was glad that she came to see me. We spent the rest of the evening chatting while watching TV and eating popcorn.
Since mom was visiting me, I had to give up on my plans for the weekend. We spent Saturday morning at the local spa and later she taught me some new delicious recipes. Sunday afternoon was rainy, so we decided to stay home and we had a lot of fun redecorating my bedroom. Later, mom went to sleep in my room as I sat on the living room couch to watch a new episode of NCIS.
Just when I was about to go to sleep, I received a phone call. At first I didn't want to take the call because I didn't recognize the number, but the person insisted, so I finally answered the phone.
"Hi, Maddy! I know it's late, I hope I didn't wake you." the other person whispered. "It's Damon." he added with a calm voice.
"I recognized your voice. Where did you get my number?" I asked slightly annoyed.
"Elena gave it to me. Can you meet me tonight? I really need to talk to you." he said with a weak voice.
"We have nothing to talk about. Leave me alone!" I replied on a serious tone.
"Please, it's really important." he insisted.
"Then tell me on the phone. I'm all ears." I replied irritated.
"Ok… I'm sorry about what happened that night at the Grill. I haven't been feeling myself lately." he said with sadness in his voice.
"Fine, I forgive you. Good night!" I replied, ready to hang up.
"Wait, don't hang up!" he begged me.
"What do you want now?" I asked, rolling my eyes.
"Can I call you again?" he asked with a weak voice.
"Why?" I asked curiously.
"Just to hear your voice..." he replied on a sad tone.
"No! You should delete my number. It's for the best." I answered bitterly and then I hung up.
I didn't believe Damon when he said that Elena gave him my number and I was still angry about what happened that night at the bar, but somehow I felt sorry for him. He had no friends, he didn't get along with his brother and maybe I was too harsh on him. Bad idea or not, I decided to call him back.
As soon as he picked up the phone I said: "Fine, let's meet. There's a park near the supermarket where we bumped into each other a few days ago."
"Wait, are you serious?" he asked really surprised.
"Just write down the address before I change my mind." I replied with a smile.