Status: Finished.

Paintings of the Soul

One.

Sighing as some classical music filled her small bedroom, Cinnie let herself rest for a while. It had been a long day for her, filled with classes and last minute changes to a project she had to deliver but she knew that all of it was worth it. After all, she was finally attending the New York Academy of Art, for which she had prepared for at least three years before she was finally accepted and she was sure that she was getting better. Not only at a technical level but she had also gained more confidence about her talent and she was more daring about the subjects she painted. No ideas seemed too off now.

Suddenly, she remembered the invitation she had gotten from her best friend and she dragged herself to her feet, to shower and put something more suiting on. They were going to a new exhibition that was opening that evening in one of the main art galleries of the city. Her friend wasn’t exactly a great Arts fan but she liked to visit exhibitions and Cinnie enjoyed her company and interest in an area that was dear to her. After about an hour, Cinnie finally stood by her living room window, waiting for her lift to arrive. She was wearing something discreet and simple with heels and she had also put makeup on so she didn’t look as tired as she felt.

When her friend arrived, she looked as chirpy as ever and Cinnie always found herself wondering how she managed to do a play and teach languages and still not look tired or even grumpy. The drive was short and they grabbed dinner before they made their way into the already filled art gallery. Many painters were present, different styles and techniques filled the space and Cinnie was on cloud nine after a couple of minutes. She was happy that her friend had dragged her over.

Her friend was immediately caught by paintings of the ocean by an artist none of them knew but then Cinnie spotted something that made her chin drop.

“Pats...” She whispered, tugging on her friend’s arm as they walked to the opposite side of the room “Look.”

Paty glanced at the wall of paintings in front of them and she was stunned. The similarities to Cinnie’s work were nearly shocking but astonishing at the same time. Both girls were silent as they observed the paintings in front of them and Paty was the first to lean in.

“ ‘Landscape in Canada’ by Benedict Cumberbatch.” She read one of the painting’s names, turning to Cinnie “Sounds familiar to you?”

“No.” Cinnie replied, eyeing the paintings with absolute surprise “I’ve never heard of him but maybe he’s here?” She said, turning to her friend as the both of them turned around. Sometimes the painters stood with their paintings to speak to other people and mingle but there was no sign of this Benedict.

As the night progressed, both women tried to find him but it was clear that he hadn’t been able to attend so before they went home, Paty encouraged Cinnie to ask the show’s curator. Cinnie wasn’t sure at first but knowing that Paty had enough balls to do it, she would rather ask herself. The woman was a delight and gave Cinnie the contacts to Benedict, saying that he was busy and that was why he couldn’t attend but that he normally did.

Once she was back at her flat, Cinnie pondered on what to do. Of course that she was dying to speak to this guy, obviously they had a lot in common when it came to art and who knows? He might even be a great help to her. Sitting with her laptop, she typed a quick but simple e-mail, introducing herself as an art student before she mentioned that she had attended the exhibition.

‘(...) I hope this doesn’t come off in the wrong way but your work was the one that captivated me the most. As I said before, I am an art student myself, and I saw a lot of my own work, imagination and mind reflected in your paintings. I was truly inspired and I would love to meet you someday because I am sure that there is so so much I can learn from you not about techniques but also about the art industry.

I wish you all the luck and that you continue to be as successful as I saw tonight at the exhition.

Best regards,’


After sending the e-mail, Cinnie smiled and hoped to get a reply soon enough. She left her laptop for a few moments to get her things settled for her classes the next day and when she went back to turn it off, she was surprised to see a reply from him. From Benedict Cumberbatch himself.

‘ Dear Ms,
You can’t imagine the happiness I feel after having read your e-mail. It brings a smile to my lips to read such wonderful words and compliments especially from someone that understands my art so well, I thank you for it. I also apologise for not having been there, I would have loved to have met you tonight but I am currently busy with a piece of work that barely lets me sleep. I’m sure you understand this feeling perfectly.
About your desire to meet me, I believe that I can make it happen and make it up for you for having missed the exhibition this evening. I would like to propose a meeting at my studio tomorrow afternoon. I am aware that you might have classes so I’ll be expecting you after 3pm. I’ll leave the address below.
Best regards,’


Cinnie’s eyes widened as she read the e-mail over and over again. Smiling widely, she replied back, accepting his offer to meet at his studio. Just the thought of seeing his studio was beyond anything she could have ever imagined. She didn’t have a proper studio herself, she used a bit of her house for that effect so this was quite a unique opportunity. Sliding into bed, the young painter couldn’t help but to wonder about what this Benedict Cumberbatch might look like. She was sure that he was much older than her, maybe around 50 or 60 years old, with a beard but a young spirit and a somewhat eccentric appearance. With a chuckle, she did her best to sleep, excited for the next day.

As the afternoon came down on her, Cinnie arrived at the address Benedict had given her. Ringing the bell, she was surprised when she heard someone inside call “Come in!” She opened the door and stepped into a kind of lounging area. It was nicely decorated with a couple of sofas and a vase with flowers, she guessed that the studio was behind or above. After a bit, she heard steps approaching and as she turned, all the imaginative thoughts she had had about Benedict’s appearance, disappear. She was completely wrong.

He wasn’t old or wrinkly or chubby, quite the opposite. He was quite tall, young and lean. He smiled happily when he saw her, though he was clearly exhausted from working. His clothes and hands were vaguely stained with paint, so was his right cheek but it was mostly hidden by the thick beard he had. He was very handsome, despite looking a bit sloppy and overall exhausted.

“Cinnie, I presume?” Benedict said, his voice a low baritone, as he wiped his hands to his jeans before offering one to her.

“Yes, hello. Very nice to meet you Mr. Cumberbatch.” Cinnie smiled as she shook his hand and Benedict chuckled.

“Please, Benedict is good enough.” He said, observing her close with a friendly smile as he invited her to sit “Would you like a drink? I have coffee and tea.”

Cinnie nodded, accepting a cup of tea as they sat together, just chatting casually like old friends. Their ages were closer than it seemed and Benedict was very interested to know more about Cinnie, just as she was interested to know about him. To her surprise, he had finished his studies just two years before. He had spent a year in France afterwards and now he was in New York to pursue new inspirations. Listening to her as she complimented his work, Benedict finished his third coffee of the day and stood up.

“Would you like to come inside? I’d love if you saw what I’m working on but you must keep it secret.” He grinned and she crossed over her heart.

“I promise.” Cinnie replied, following after him.

The building made it believe that studio was small but it was quite the opposite, it was bigger than her living room and kitchen together. Benedict’s appearance made it clear that he must have been disorganised but wrong again. Everything was neatly displayed and organised, except for the area around the painting he was completing and even still, it was pretty much clean around. He had all his utensils almost obsessively displayed and organised in an order only he could master. Other paintings were handing around, some done and others to be finished. The walls were white, the lightning was perfect but given the sunny day, all the light came from the large window that took over an entire wall at the end of the room.

Benedict walked straight over to his work in progress, turning back to see Cinnie stepping carefully. Her eyes lightened up as she took the whole space in and she sighed dreamily.

“Wow...” She sighed, finally glancing at him “I can’t wait for the day when I have my own studio. Benedict, this is amazing.”

With a smile, the young man turned to take up his palette and a brush, focusing on his painting, though Cinnie was present. Benedict usually liked to work on his own but after her e-mail last night, he had come up with an idea which he was just about to express.

“What if we could speed up that day Cinnie?” He asked, adding a few touches of blue to hair of the woman he was painting in watercolours.

“What do you mean?” Cinnie asked, turning to him with wide eyes though he kept his back to her.

“No, I won’t give you my studio of course.” Benedict cleared “But I have been looking for a muse for quite some time, actually since I came here from France so I have a deal to propose to you. Well... it’s more of a contract really.”

“Okay... I’m listening.” Cinnie said.

“My proposal is that you, Cinnie, become my muse for the next two months so that I have inspiration for a set of paintings I want to prepare for a special exhibition I’ve been invited to. In exchange, you may use my studio and everything inside it while I am out on my errands or sleeping.”

Cinnie didn’t have to think hard before she knew that this was a great opportunity. In here she could explore many of the things she wanted to do and being his muse wouldn’t be that bad, it would give her time to learn with him. She had never done it before but she was sure that she could quickly grow accustomed and besides, who was this kind? Who gave these once in a lifetime experiences to young painters? Rarely anyone.

“I accept.” She said as Ben smiled, finally turning to her as he went to get a sheet which was a contract that stated all of what he had said. Both of them signed it and shared a little smile.

- One Month Later –

“He’s just a baby.” Cinnie grumbled as she spoke to Paty while they both sat on her friend’s flat. Cinnie had to be at the studio in an hour and she was trying to find an excuse not to go while Paty tried to convince her to just suck it up.

“He’s an eccentric artist. Don’t be so innocent Cin, I’m sure you were expecting it.”

Cinnie sighed and showed her friend the list of rules that kept getting bigger since day one. At first they were about three, now they were over twenty. Some of the worst were about organisation. Cinnie wasn’t a messy person by nature but Benedict was too addicted to his own rules on where things should be and when and in which state. She always tried to be polite and obey but it was getting harder to keep her smile and not to reply rashly and ask him to be patient. She didn’t plan on putting things back dirty but sometimes he seemed to want to drive her insane. However, the worst rules were about what she could and could not do while being the muse. She could never tie her hair up or wear anything dark. She could never sit and sometimes Ben made her stand for over 6 hours while keeping a position that was, most of the time, uncomfortable. She couldn’t eat either or talk or move a centimetre. It was forbidden to use the phone as well and she had to always, always apply perfect makeup. He didn’t want any dark circles or imperfections on her skin, even though he could easily change all those details while he painted.

“Why do you always defend him?” Cin pouted at her friend and Paty sighed, while looking over the rules.

“I don’t always defend him, I just know that you’re going through a stressful time with Uni so I’m trying to keep you from exploding with Ben. Besides, it’s almost over.” She reassured her, gently squeezing her arm.

Paty and Benedict had met a couple of times. The brunette had never been inside the studio but every time she dropped Cinnie off, the young man came out to greet her and talk a bit. He had even went to one of her plays and paid her many compliments, wishing she was also a painter so the three of them created art together but Paty was always playful about that. In truth, Ben didn’t quite like or dislike her, she was indifferent to him. He knew how influential she was to Cinnie and how Cinnie both loved and trusted her so that was why he was nice and polite. He wanted CInnie to like him too, despite his manners and temper.

He couldn’t help it. That was just how he was. Highly methodical and he wanted things his way. Cinnie was far more inexperienced so he wanted to teach her, though sometimes things came out way too aggressive because he lost his patience too easily. It wasn’t her fault either. She was a wonderful muse, though he had never said it. She was beautiful but he had never said it straight forward to her and he had never really told her that he was beginning to grow feelings for her. He loved to paint her and learn every shape of her face, every contour and every detail. He also loved to sometimes catch her when she was working. How focused she was and passionate and how she worked so so hard with everything she did. He wished he could be less intense and more friendly but his art was everything to him and he couldn’t afford to ever fail.

“Well, he’s not going to be there today.” Cinnie said “At least in the late afternoon. Would you like to go over? I haven’t painted you in years.”

“That would be nice but are you sure he won’t be upset? There’s a no visitors policy somewhere in these rules.” Paty pouted.

“He’ll never find out.” Cinnie promised.

Unlike what she had wished, things with Benedict turned sour right that afternoon. She had been just two minutes late for their session and he was more than irritable when she greeted him.

“Do you think that this is a game Cinnie? That I can afford to lose my time?”

The young girl was stunned. They had never argued before, though she had heard a couple of critiques from him and harsher commands, this was the first time he was really upset.

“Benedict, I’ve apologised.” She said, removing her dark cardigan, so that she was only standing in a red dress “It’s been two minutes but I’m ready to work.”

Benedict glared at her and almost unwillingly started to work. After a couple of minutes, he grunted as he forced himself to look at her and paint. He painted almost angrily, shooting her deadly looks and as the sun began to set, he put his things down and grabbed his jacket to go. Cinnie sighed heavily and called Paty, so she came over as she prepared her things.

“Ben’s not here?” The brunette asked as she stepped in, not sure if he was out or sleeping somewhere.

“No, he left. He’s angry at me for being late for two minutes.” Cinnie sighed, getting Paty comfortable. While the brunette sat on the floor, Cinnie had everything settled on the floor as well, in front of her. She was going to paint her while sitting to make it more comfortable.

“Try to be patient dear.” Paty soothed, trying to keep as still as possible though she and Cinnie spoke for most of the time, ending up with laughter between the chatter, making Cinnie forget all about Ben. Both of them were too busy to notice as he came in.

Hearing their voices, Ben tensed up and stormed through the studio “What the hell is going on here?”

Paty nearly jumped up and Cinnie sighed heavily as she stood up “Nothing. I just invited someone over to be my muse, I thought you wouldn’t mind.”

Ben eyed Paty first and then Cinnie before he saw her work in progress. He felt a raging fire consume him. Oh if only she knew how badly he wanted to be her muse. How he had been waiting for her to ask, how he had even shaved on purpose, thinking he’d look more attractive and have more chances of being asked but then again she had chosen her friend over him. She always chose Paty over him and he was sick of it.

“I want you out.” He said to Paty and the brunette nodded, not wanting to make things worse for Cinnie.

“Hey, she’s my friend. Don’t be so rude!” Cinnie exclaimed and Paty quickly touched her arm.

“It’s fine, his studio, his rules.” She said to her calmly “I’m sorry Ben, I’ll get out.”

“You’re not welcome here.” Ben replied to the brunette coldly, though she had never done anything bad to him “And don’t call me Ben. We’re not friends. It’s Mr. Cumberbatch to you.”

Paty looked at him seriously and disappeared through the door. Ben turned to Cinnie, hoping to make her understand that the rules had to be followed and he was shocked to see her near tears.

“I thought you just had a difficult temper, I never knew you could be cruel.” The young woman said, moving to get into her cardigan.

“Cruel? Oh no... Cinnie, no. None of that.” Benedict said quickly, trying to reach out for her but she pulled him back.

“Don’t touch me!” She demanded, looking right into his eyes “I’ve let you tell me what to do for the last month because I respect you and want to learn from you and this is how you repay me? By disrespecting my best friend who always did nothing but say good things to me about you?”

Benedict was stunned as he stared at her like a dumb fool, which was what he was. A dumb, jealous fool. As Cinnie grabbed her things, she didn’t care that she left things a mess on her way out and Ben just stood there, knowing he had ruined everything.

The next day, Ben was painting something totally different when he heard Cinnie come in. He felt his heart race. He thought he’d never seen her again after his shameful scene the night before.

“Cinnie?” He called, turning to face her.

“Hey,” She greeted without a smile “I just came to pick this,” She said, motioning for the painting on the wall. It was the portrait she had begun to do of Paty the night before.

“Listen,” Ben said, gently approaching “May we talk? I... I want to apologise.”

Cinnie took a deep breath and turned to him “Even if I accept your apology, I hope you understand that things will never be the same.” She said, she had taken his behaviour towards her friend as a personal offense.

“I know and I understand but I’d like to apologise. I wasn’t myself last evening and I am really sorry.” Ben said, though he couldn’t disclose about his feelings. He just couldn’t tell her why he had done it and how she made him feel, it was like all the words were stuck inside of him.

Cinnie nodded “I accept your apology but you have to apologise to Paty too.” She said “Also... I’m not feeling well enough to be your muse today. Can you excuse me?”

“Actually, I had a better idea. Please, do call your friend over.” He said, preparing a new set to paint on “I’d like for you to finish that portrait and then, I’d like to have it if you both agree.”

“Wait... I’ll be painting her. What will you be doing?”

“You’ll see.” He smiled softly.

- Two Months Later –

Arriving at the studio for her last day, Cinnie was shocked to see everything packed. Benedict had excused her for a few days because she had projects and now she had arrived to almost an empty space.

“Benedict?” She called “Ben?”

A woman came in from the studio with a soft smile “He’s not here at the moment, Mr. Cumberbatch has already left miss.”

“Left?” Cinnie furrowed her eyebrow “Left where?”

“Italy.” The woman replied “He’ll be setting an exhibition there for the next year and he was given an excellent studio to work on.” She explained, guiding a few men as to how to take the paintings, so they were as careful as possible.

Cinnie nodded slowly, thanking the woman before she left. Instead of calling Paty, she headed home and once she sat on her couch, she felt her eyes tearing up. After that big fight, Ben had changed almost completely and, much against what she knew was best, Cinnie had fallen in love with him. Of course that she didn’t nurture any hopes but the fact that he had left without a warning or a goodbye, wounded her deeply.

Later that evening, she got a call from Paty who sounded surprised as she told her to come over because she had gotten a package. When Cinnie got to her house and then opened it up, they were stunned to find an amazing portrait of them both. Paty was sitting with a flower crown on her head while Cinnie painted her. The signature brought room for no mistakes, Benedict had made it.

“There’s a note.” Paty noticed, picking it up “I’d like for you to have this. I know how important you’ve been for Cinnie to accept the two months we worked in together. She has been the best thing has happened to me and I will forever treasure all the things she taught me and all the pieces of work I’ve seen her do. Your portrait is the best and I have it and I will keep it safe forever. Please forgive me for being so rude to you, I should have been a better friend to someone who wanted nothing but my friendship and her friend’s happiness. Please give my love to Cinnie, I will miss you both. B.C.

Paty turned to Cinnie who was tearing up again as she told her friend that Ben had left and the brunette narrowed her eyes as she thought over all of this. “Italy you say?” She grinned “We’ll find him.”

-Three Months Later –

Going over the exhibition for the hundredth time, Ben smiled politely over at the people who came to him and he thanked them for their compliments. Against better judgement, he kept refusing to sell any of his work, this collection especially. They were all portraits of Cinnie, though they looked like different women and Ben wanted to keep them for himself once this exhibition was over.

As he went around the corner, he stopped on his tracks when he saw a single woman observing the central painting of the exhibition. Cinnie in her favourite purple sweater, wearing a beanie along and earrings. The light in that painting was fantastic and Ben knew he’d never paint anything like that again.

He approached casually and then a shiver went up his spine as he heard the woman’s voice, since she was on the phone and then as she turned to him, he beamed.

“Paty wants to know if you sold her portrait.”

Cinnie was smiling from ear to ear as she looked up at Ben. His appearance had changed. He looked neat and there was anything messy about him now.

“No, of course not.” He smiled, still stunned to see her there. She looked as beautiful as he last remembered her and then it hit him that he hadn’t said goodbye. She didn’t look too upset though. “It’s safe in my home.”

Cinnie replied to Paty and then hanged up “Congratulations on the exhibition. Everyone is paying huge compliments everywhere.”

Ben smiled “Thank you. I... I had no idea you were coming.”

“How could I miss it?” Cinnie smiled “I’m in all of them after all. They’re brilliant, Benedict, truly.”

“Ben.” He said suddenly “Please, call me Ben, Cinnie.” He said, standing closer to her. “And they’re only brilliant because they’re about you.”

Cinnie smiled softly. She had forgiven him long ago for everything and she had come for him, no matter what happened.

“Thank you. I love them Ben.”

“And I love you.” Ben replied, realising too late what he had said but as she touched his hands, he tried to relax. After all this time, he had finally let it out.

“I love you too.” Cinnie smiled “Do you think I can steal you for dinner? I’ve just arrived and I’m starving.”

Ben was still too stunned to hear her confess her feelings but he nodded slowly “yes, of course. I know just... just the place.” He said softly as Cinnie leaned up to kiss him and then Ben knew all would be well and just as he had always wanted.